All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 2:22pm

GS....wow.....Adam needs a change of churches as you can meditate on the word of God....it's amazing how man sometimes translates the Bible....then again we all see things slightly different , which could be construed as translation?

GuySmiley wrote:

Adam has occasionally done some work on my car, really nice bloke anyway one day we got talking about my yoga and meditation class I was doing at the time. Adam explained to me he belonged to an evangelical church and his pastor had warned them all about the dangers of meditation as a way the devil can enter the mind. I explained to Adam what meditation was and that if he wanted during meditation he could focus solely on his god and/or god's love. Some months later I called into Adam's workshop to say hello and he told me he had taken our earlier conversation about meditation to his church and that his preacher had taken great offence to the idea and he felt he had been on the outer at his church ever since. Control and power over the flock are mighty drugs!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 2:24pm

GS not lucky to choose the right belief , it's the evidence and the teachings that I believe in , not just a random choice!

groundswell wrote:

My main realization was like what Indo Dreaming says on the first page of this thread:
"Not all religions can be correct".
All those other religions other than yours Brutus must seem strange but those people who follow those religions think the same thing about Christianity.
Think about that, how many gods are there? there are over 1500 Gods and religions since the Pyramids getting built. How many of those religions do you believe in? ONE!
Think about that.
Seems pretty arrogant to believe you got lucky and your religion is the only right one in history of man.

I'd rather believe we just die and the light switch goes out, no heaven no hell and no limbo, no reincarnation just lights out. Life ends just like before you were a sperm.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 2:25pm

GS not lucky to choose the right belief , it's the evidence and the teachings that I believe in , not just a random choice!

groundswell wrote:

My main realization was like what Indo Dreaming says on the first page of this thread:
"Not all religions can be correct".
All those other religions other than yours Brutus must seem strange but those people who follow those religions think the same thing about Christianity.
Think about that, how many gods are there? there are over 1500 Gods and religions since the Pyramids getting built. How many of those religions do you believe in? ONE!
Think about that.
Seems pretty arrogant to believe you got lucky and your religion is the only right one in history of man.

I'd rather believe we just die and the light switch goes out, no heaven no hell and no limbo, no reincarnation just lights out. Life ends just like before you were a sperm.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 3:36pm

" GS....wow.....Adam needs a change of churches as you can meditate on the word of God....it's amazing how man sometimes translates the Bible....then again we all see things slightly different , which could be construed as translation?"

Indeed Brutus and even when it comes to homosexuality and this faith base doctrine about one true god.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 4:49pm
GuySmiley wrote:

Adam has occasionally done some work on my car, really nice bloke anyway one day we got talking about my yoga and meditation class I was doing at the time. Adam explained to me he belonged to an evangelical church and his pastor had warned them all about the dangers of meditation as a way the devil can enter the mind. I explained to Adam what meditation was and that if he wanted during meditation he could focus solely on his god and/or god's love. Some months later I called into Adam's workshop to say hello and he told me he had taken our earlier conversation about meditation to his church and that his preacher had taken great offence to the idea and he felt he had been on the outer at his church ever since. Control and power over the flock are mighty drugs!

That was actually some good advice you gave him, Adam obviously needs to find a new church.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 5:01pm
brutus wrote:

GS not lucky to choose the right belief , it's the evidence and the teachings that I believe in , not just a random choice!

groundswell wrote:

My main realization was like what Indo Dreaming says on the first page of this thread:
"Not all religions can be correct".
All those other religions other than yours Brutus must seem strange but those people who follow those religions think the same thing about Christianity.
Think about that, how many gods are there? there are over 1500 Gods and religions since the Pyramids getting built. How many of those religions do you believe in? ONE!
Think about that.
Seems pretty arrogant to believe you got lucky and your religion is the only right one in history of man.

I'd rather believe we just die and the light switch goes out, no heaven no hell and no limbo, no reincarnation just lights out. Life ends just like before you were a sperm.

Well can i see some of this evidence?

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 5:32pm

Nail-Head . GS.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 7:12pm

GS what evidence exactly would you like to see , any particular parts of history or ..??

groundswell wrote:
brutus wrote:

GS not lucky to choose the right belief , it's the evidence and the teachings that I believe in , not just a random choice!

groundswell wrote:

My main realization was like what Indo Dreaming says on the first page of this thread:
"Not all religions can be correct".
All those other religions other than yours Brutus must seem strange but those people who follow those religions think the same thing about Christianity.
Think about that, how many gods are there? there are over 1500 Gods and religions since the Pyramids getting built. How many of those religions do you believe in? ONE!
Think about that.
Seems pretty arrogant to believe you got lucky and your religion is the only right one in history of man.

I'd rather believe we just die and the light switch goes out, no heaven no hell and no limbo, no reincarnation just lights out. Life ends just like before you were a sperm.

Well can i see some of this evidence?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 7:40pm

Anything at all would be good.
Anything other than “it’s people writing down the word of god”.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 9:35pm

Yep anything will do.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 7:40am

OK AndyM and GS......here's a start......then if you'd like I could post why the and how the Gospels have been verified...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scientific-Proof-of-Bible.php

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 7:44am

GS ..I have no problem with homosexuality , I have quite a few Gay friends!

GuySmiley wrote:

" GS....wow.....Adam needs a change of churches as you can meditate on the word of God....it's amazing how man sometimes translates the Bible....then again we all see things slightly different , which could be construed as translation?"

Indeed Brutus and even when it comes to homosexuality and this faith base doctrine about one true god.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 8:04am
brutus wrote:

OK AndyM and GS......here's a start......then if you'd like I could post why the and how the Gospels have been verified...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scientific-Proof-of-Bible.php

Scientific facts from the bible=oxymoron
How many stars are there? Where does Darwin fit in??

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 8:31am

suchas , read the post and then discuss what's written on it....

tell me how many stars there are and ...the Port of Darwin??

maybe read this ..https://www.faithfacts.org/search-for-truth/maps/manuscript-evidence

suchas wrote:
brutus wrote:

OK AndyM and GS......here's a start......then if you'd like I could post why the and how the Gospels have been verified...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scientific-Proof-of-Bible.php

Scientific facts from the bible=oxymoron
How many stars are there? Where does Darwin fit in??

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 5:44pm

Sorry Brutus that's insufficient evidence. Especially since its King James bible who just rearranged the bible so he could have new wives all the time and kill off his ex's including some male lovers.
https://www.facebook.com/MixNotTruthWithFalsehood/posts/king-james-was-a....

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 5:52am

1st prize for the most ridiculous thing ever written on swellnet. King James had nothing to do with the writing of the English translation bible. He only commissioned it. 52 Hebrew and Greek scholars were appointed to translate the original texts to English so it could be read by the common man. Previously the Vatican locked it away in Latin so no one could have or read it….unless you could get a copy and speak Latin that is…..myyy faaather can beat youuur faaather at dooominos.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 6:24am

Most ridiculous thing ever written on swellnet is that you regularly speak to God.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 6:32am
Optimist wrote:

1st prize for the most ridiculous thing ever written on swellnet. King James had nothing to do with the writing of the English translation bible. He only commissioned it.

I have no knowledge of the topic matter, but doesn't "he commissioned the translation" means "he paid for the translation"?

How can you infer he had "nothing to do with it", then? Almost always, those people paying for something have an influence on how they'd like it to turn out. Even if they don't do the actual work themselves.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 6:36am

I've got a few Nev Future Shapes out in the shed, each of them has a pencil drawn fish on the stringer next to the dimensions and one has a rice paper 'Christ-centred company' decal, so this comment by the old fella - posted on Facebook last night - came as somewhat of a surprise:

40 years ago I was a born again Christian. I traveled to India preach the gospel on the streets of Hyderabad to convince the Hindus that what they believed was wrong, and the only pathway to God was via Jesus Christ.

I participated in “healing” and “demonic release” rallies for the Untouchables who were simply there to see what these white people would give them. People were prayed over, demons were cast out, and they were healed (NOT!! To all of the above).

It was like a scene from The Life of Brian, and I’m ashamed to have been involved.

Not saying that the Christian faith may have improved some of these people‘s outlook on life. This is the upside which equates to a sense of love, acceptance, community, and hope of a better life for those poor but happy people (yet oppressed by their own religion).

For this and a whole bunch of other reasons over the last 40 years, including early 70’s indirect but real personal abuse due to disgusting behaviour of that pious clergy “looking after” defenceless English orphans at Clontarf Perth Western Australia known to have covered up abuse.

How illogical it is to believe that there is in fact a God (or various Gods) intervening, or worse, interfering in our daily lives, whilst RELYING on Gods chosen to direct us through life?

I am now proud to say I am, and have been for decades, a non-believer.

This may disappoint and shock and number of my friends around the world who may remember me back then having a “Christ Centred Company”.

Astoundingly, you add the following scenario at Hillsong….

I witnessed the seeds of 40 years ago in the Pentecostal church that I was attending with dubious business dealings and Pastors taking advantage of wealthy individuals in the church, and then of course ridiculous behaviour in the name of Jesus Christ. (Speaking in tongues, I’ve been slain in the spirit, casting out demons, yes all that bullshit. I did it all and I’m not proud to say faked it all the way.

Let me say however that there are countless good people involved in these churches, and true communing is the real result. I believe this is the actual real reason why people attend church or seek God. It is the compelling sense of community, of being wanted, of being able to enjoy mutual a belief.

To pray for somebody or something is to empower oneself with the knowledge that one cares and one wants to do something, anything to sincerely help. Battery are truly is self serving, like a mantra, like meditation, any of these emotions it makes one feel good to be trying to do good.

I simply do not believe that prayer changes anything material. That to me is illogical.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, and who am I really?

Is my view important? No!

But when I see what has gone down with Hillsong it’s too much to bear for me considering my comprehensive experience on the subject, specifically evangelical christianity.

This debacle with Hillsong ticks all the boxes of my disgust In formal religion.

The fact that our prime minister and also Mayer of the Gold Coast believes in the following simply astounds me. Each to their own in their own journey, I agree but it really bothers me that these leaders are being misled

Seven Mountains Mandate

https://www.crikey.com.au/.../scott-morrison-and-the.../

https://www.gotquestions.org/seven-mountain-mandate.html

Sorry to open a Pandora’s box for so many good people who believe, but we all, at some stage in our journeys, have a responsibility to speak our minds and take a position on things.

This podcast is worthy for a perspective on the variations in Christianity

https://podcasts.apple.com/.../belief-it.../id1378041405...

Much love and respect

Nev

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 6:44am
brutus wrote:

OK AndyM and GS......here's a start......then if you'd like I could post why the and how the Gospels have been verified...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scientific-Proof-of-Bible.php

It’s proven…it’s a faaaact. Lmao

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 6:44am

Whoa @ Nev's post.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 6:47am

Evidence, god exists.

Ta daaaa. Benny told us.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:01am

OK GS did you read what O posted about the archaeological proof??

King James commissioned the translation , did not make the translation as scholars of the time were trusted with the translation...which has had plenty of scrutiny over the last couple of centuries by people a lot smarter than any of us here on SN.
..https://www.faithfacts.org/search-for-truth/maps/manuscript-evidence

Maybe try this.. http://www.provethebible.com/101-scientific-facts.html

groundswell wrote:

Sorry Brutus that's insufficient evidence. Especially since its King James bible who just rearranged the bible so he could have new wives all the time and kill off his ex's including some male lovers.
https://www.facebook.com/MixNotTruthWithFalsehood/posts/king-james-was-a....

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:11am

Stu...how sad for Nev , that since he became a born again Christian and went to India...he has live a complete and total lie of having a Christ based Co , but as he said " (NOT!! To all of the above).

It was like a scene from The Life of Brian, and I’m ashamed to have been involved.

He bore his shame this last 40 years , lived a lie.......and now he has seen Hillsong/Scomo evangaelists everywhere that seem to worship profit , $ and power over the true word of God and the Gospels as his way out of the lie he has been living......

really sad for Nev....imagine preaching something your whole life , but not believing what you were saying.........will say a prayer for Nev......

stunet wrote:

I've got a few Nev Future Shapes out in the shed, each of them has a pencil drawn fish on the stringer next to the dimensions and one has a rice paper 'Christ-centred company' decal, so this comment by the old fella - posted on Facebook last night - came as somewhat of a surprise:

40 years ago I was a born again Christian. I traveled to India preach the gospel on the streets of Hyderabad to convince the Hindus that what they believed was wrong, and the only pathway to God was via Jesus Christ.

I participated in “healing” and “demonic release” rallies for the Untouchables who were simply there to see what these white people would give them. People were prayed over, demons were cast out, and they were healed (NOT!! To all of the above).

It was like a scene from The Life of Brian, and I’m ashamed to have been involved.

Not saying that the Christian faith may have improved some of these people‘s outlook on life. This is the upside which equates to a sense of love, acceptance, community, and hope of a better life for those poor but happy people (yet oppressed by their own religion).

For this and a whole bunch of other reasons over the last 40 years, including early 70’s indirect but real personal abuse due to disgusting behaviour of that pious clergy “looking after” defenceless English orphans at Clontarf Perth Western Australia known to have covered up abuse.

How illogical it is to believe that there is in fact a God (or various Gods) intervening, or worse, interfering in our daily lives, whilst RELYING on Gods chosen to direct us through life?

I am now proud to say I am, and have been for decades, a non-believer.

This may disappoint and shock and number of my friends around the world who may remember me back then having a “Christ Centred Company”.

Astoundingly, you add the following scenario at Hillsong….

I witnessed the seeds of 40 years ago in the Pentecostal church that I was attending with dubious business dealings and Pastors taking advantage of wealthy individuals in the church, and then of course ridiculous behaviour in the name of Jesus Christ. (Speaking in tongues, I’ve been slain in the spirit, casting out demons, yes all that bullshit. I did it all and I’m not proud to say faked it all the way.

Let me say however that there are countless good people involved in these churches, and true communing is the real result. I believe this is the actual real reason why people attend church or seek God. It is the compelling sense of community, of being wanted, of being able to enjoy mutual a belief.

To pray for somebody or something is to empower oneself with the knowledge that one cares and one wants to do something, anything to sincerely help. Battery are truly is self serving, like a mantra, like meditation, any of these emotions it makes one feel good to be trying to do good.

I simply do not believe that prayer changes anything material. That to me is illogical.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, and who am I really?

Is my view important? No!

But when I see what has gone down with Hillsong it’s too much to bear for me considering my comprehensive experience on the subject, specifically evangelical christianity.

This debacle with Hillsong ticks all the boxes of my disgust In formal religion.

The fact that our prime minister and also Mayer of the Gold Coast believes in the following simply astounds me. Each to their own in their own journey, I agree but it really bothers me that these leaders are being misled

Seven Mountains Mandate

https://www.crikey.com.au/.../scott-morrison-and-the.../

https://www.gotquestions.org/seven-mountain-mandate.html

Sorry to open a Pandora’s box for so many good people who believe, but we all, at some stage in our journeys, have a responsibility to speak our minds and take a position on things.

This podcast is worthy for a perspective on the variations in Christianity

https://podcasts.apple.com/.../belief-it.../id1378041405...

Much love and respect

Nev

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:15am

TB.....sure King James was a decadent , man has always sinned...just wondering if you think that because the scholars who did the translations were commissioned by King James that the content is someway contaminated......has the King James version been peer reviewed of the centuuries?

thermalben wrote:
Optimist wrote:

1st prize for the most ridiculous thing ever written on swellnet. King James had nothing to do with the writing of the English translation bible. He only commissioned it.

I have no knowledge of the topic matter, but doesn't "he commissioned the translation" means "he paid for the translation"?

How can you infer he had "nothing to do with it", then? Almost always, those people paying for something have an influence on how they'd like it to turn out. Even if they don't do the actual work themselves.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:21am

Roadkill , well you could use your intellect and fact finding skills to disprove the post I posted?

Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

OK AndyM and GS......here's a start......then if you'd like I could post why the and how the Gospels have been verified...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scientific-Proof-of-Bible.php

It’s proven…it’s a faaaact. Lmao

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:27am

Here is one of the most ridiculous things ever posted on swellnet ;)
Who composed this gem flopti ;);)

It’s from the book of floptimist :

‘There are actually 3 heavens in translation, the sky above is the first, space is the second and planet Heaven the third. ( paul talked about the third heaven) You get to planet heaven after your spirit leaves your body. When you die your spirit descends into the heart of the earth and waits. Then if approved by God you are lifted up and go through the tunnel which is probably like a wormhole in Sci Fi. If unapproved you will wait for judgement but there is no time there so you wouldn't know if you've been there a year or a hundred years. At the end of the tunnel you will be greeted by The Christ Himself in His glorified form and put on planet Heaven, a very beautiful and physical place and in your brand new physical body. Earth will also be renewed after the great tribulation so for a time there will still be two seperate habitations and eventually just one.
It is comforting to know that on my death, my heavenly father will still look after me and guide my spirit or "actual person" through the maze of death and to the renewed and promised life.
Also, If anyone is interested in the time of the end and the mark of the beast etc. I think I can answer that for you, as I have a theory which has been playing out exactly correct over the last few years.’

Um…. Ok ;);)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:32am

Andddddd…..
The winner is flopti ! ;);)

Who could forget this gem;);)
The book of floptimist reigns supreme:

‘I'll give you some keys to help unlock things yourselves....This requires some Revelation research and deep thought.
Try and picture the disciple John on a prison Island trying to figure out what Jesus was showing him in the future 2000 years ago with no knowledge of our modern world.
A rough outline but some food for thought.
The first beast is a man empowered by Satan ( from the abyss)
The second empowered by the Vatican . The Vatican (Vaticaanus) means Divining Serpent (from the earth)
The symbols of Satan are the Dragon and the Serpent.
The image of the beast is probably a Quantum computer with A.I. think Skynet. It is given life and also speaks ...A.I. again. and Siri on steroids.
The worlds finance system will be controlled by a global bank using this quantum computer system...a quantum is 100,000,000 times faster than our best now. Just add A.I and you have a real treasure. Google and China already have them.
They are building two giant computers now , one in Brussels for the EU and one in America.
The most corrupt bank on earth is the Deutsche Bank, the biggest bank in Germany and one of in the world with assets of 3 Trillion dollars and is the one that financed the Nazis and sold all the stolen gold from the Jews to finance Hitler. They launder criminal money to this day. Their main share holder is now China (the dragon again) and everyone owes them money.
The swift code for the Deutsche Bank is ...you guessed it 666
Rome and the Vatican sit on 7 hills or mountains
2 of the last 4 popes were Hitler youth.
China the dragon will work with the serpent to bring about a cashless society with a central core and one leader the new anti christ.
The beast will require everyone to be implanted with an RF chip in their right hand or a detailed facial scan"fore head" or they will not be able to trade...Do not get this!
With no cash we will enter into a new age of slavery and the mind programming has already started with the banks and Dept stores selling fear under the covid banner.
The ten kings who give their power to the beast are the new world order which has already been decided by the Club of Rome years ago.
The Club of Rome is a global think tank that has decided to divide the world into 10 financial sectors with 10 leaders (the 10 kings) One of their members is Henry Kissinger who help start the EFTPOS system.
There's more but I'm tired...fact check the lot...sorry to wake you out of your sleepy world but ignorance never ends up bliss.’

Wahahahahaha ;)
Read them ‘facts’ ppl ;);)

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:40am
brutus wrote:

Roadkill , well you could use your intellect and fact finding skills to disprove the post I posted?

Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

OK AndyM and GS......here's a start......then if you'd like I could post why the and how the Gospels have been verified...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scientific-Proof-of-Bible.php

It’s proven…it’s a faaaact. Lmao

The burden of proof is with those (you) making the claims.
You don’t post shit and then say…disprove it, that’s not how it works.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:43am

Yo, brutus.. pink fairies live at the bottom of my garden. That’s a fact. If you disagree, prove they don’t.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:48am

So sad for Nev that his early walk was based on the hype rather than the one on one with God. I know many like him. If you want to experience the one true God, go into a quiet place, all alone, share you heart with God in Jesus name. The rest will come naturally as that is the kind of worship God likes…one on one…then, he will manifest Himself to you in some way and connect you with like minded and honest people. I’ve only been so called “slain in the spirit” once in my life when I went forward in a meeting to give up my beloved smoking. The guy didn’t even touch me and I fell unconscious on the floor and woke up a while later on a couch in the tea room out back….totally genuine for me and never smoked again….I think there are those who get caught up in hype and really want an experience so kind of force it even though it didn’t happen which is weird I think. Everything in life has to be a true and genuine experience or your just kidding yourself and helping fraudsters push their prosperity narrative. My prayer for Nev today is that his past and genuine desire to serve God will be remembered by God Himself and a new and personal experience will eventually happen for him.
Regarding praying in tongues, it’s a very deep and personal event that only ever happens when God takes over your one on one prayer session and the Holy Spirit amplifies and expands your prayers to a point where your tongue can no longer keep up with the prayers and another higher speed language eventuates. Kind of like praying in fast forward but controlled by another.
I started with simple faith as I could feel the presence of God calling me and the environment I surrounded myself with confirmed my thoughts. After reading the New Testament, I was really relieved that I didn’t need to be a high material achiever that my parents wanted for me. I just needed to trust God would guide my life and support me and my family. This led to an amazing 40 plus years of incredible events and experiences and a great and growing family. Without being clever or driven by gain I now own a nice little house near the beach, have great kids and grandkids, have taught Gods love for them in schools to thousands of kids, have founded Australian branches of successful global charities that help the worlds poorest people, have prayed for people who got healed etc etc ….and I did all that with no real skills or intelligence ….I just let God show me what to do and then did it…..like getting hired with “ no experience necessary”.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:49am

ah Roadkill...so why is what I posted shit?

Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

Roadkill , well you could use your intellect and fact finding skills to disprove the post I posted?

Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

OK AndyM and GS......here's a start......then if you'd like I could post why the and how the Gospels have been verified...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scientific-Proof-of-Bible.php

It’s proven…it’s a faaaact. Lmao

The burden of proof is with those (you) making the claims.
You don’t post shit and then say…disprove it, that’s not how it works.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 7:51am
brutus wrote:

OK AndyM and GS......here's a start......then if you'd like I could post why the and how the Gospels have been verified...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scientific-Proof-of-Bible.php

Shit

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 8:35am

Haha ;) and the book of flopti continues :

‘I think there are those who get caught up in hype and really want an experience so kind of force it even though it didn’t happen which is weird I think. Everything in life has to be a true and genuine experience or your just kidding yourself and helping fraudsters push their prosperity narrative. ‘

Um yeh … kewl story tho ;)
If only you were able to hear ‘your’ thoughts as quoted above ay ;);)

To put this in context - are you able to align the words ‘you’ thought with the fantastical rhetoric bout heaven and end of days from page 9 of this thread ?

Remember ‘everything in life has to be a true and genuine experience or your just kidding yourself and helping fraudsters push their prosperity ‘

So where exactly is the ‘genuine’ experience within all that made up stuff you try pass off as being real ?

And why the constant over emphasis on ‘I’ and ‘me’ and ‘my’ thoughts… ‘my’ house… ‘my’ life blah blah ;);) ??
Where is the actual humility and generous spirit at work ? -free of trying to convince yourself and others of all ‘your’ so called wonderful achievements and charitable service ?

- ‘the environment I surrounded myself with confirmed my thoughts’

Sounds like you got it all worked out ;);)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 8:42am

Brutus says :

‘imagine preaching something your whole life , but not believing what you were saying.........’

Ha! Imagine preaching something but not understanding what you were even saying - so, instead, you just cut and paste articles or links with ‘facts’ and ‘evidence’ ;);)

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:21am
brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:23am

Jelly flater....maybe you don't understand what I am saying , because it's against your beliefs or lack of.......it's quite simple to believe in a God who sent his son to Earth , to preach and die for the sins of all mankind . Then be resurrected ....

If you wanted proof , I can only cut and paste , as you want substantiated proof and not just my word for it......can keep Cutting and pasting ??

Jelly Flater wrote:

Brutus says :

‘imagine preaching something your whole life , but not believing what you were saying.........’

Ha! Imagine preaching something but not understanding what you were even saying - so, instead, you just cut and paste articles or links with ‘facts’ and ‘evidence’ ;);)

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:29am

SoRoadkill , what's your point ?

Roadkill wrote:

Article is from 2014. But still valid
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/survey-finds-2-of-anglic...

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:34am

thermalben...yeah Nev's post is a shocker when you consider , the reasons why he lost faith was Hillsong etc......but he admits to never really being a born again Christian , because of what happened in India.....so he never really believed , but pretended....then criticizes Hillsong etc......wow poor bastard he must really be in sad place right now....I wonder what repercussions could come his way?

thermalben wrote:

Whoa @ Nev's post.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:39am
Optimist wrote:

1st prize for the most ridiculous thing ever written on swellnet. King James had nothing to do with the writing of the English translation bible. He only commissioned it. 52 Hebrew and Greek scholars were appointed to translate the original texts to English so it could be read by the common man. Previously the Vatican locked it away in Latin so no one could have or read it….unless you could get a copy and speak Latin that is…..myyy faaather can beat youuur faaather at dooominos.

I'm confused. Is Optimist saying the original texts of the bible were written in Latin .... by whom exactly ? I studied latin in years 7-10 (very poorly I might add) and understand it to be a very formal complex language. Further, I understood that the apostles were common folk not scholars so it seems there may have been many translations over time from simple language to the formal scholarly latin used in the Vatican and then to English.

To me this scenario is highly probable, no big deal and nothing unusual but if this is the case why the fascination with the literal word by some evangelicals and especially so when these people use the literal meaning of biblical text as unquestionable articles of faith and a sharp point of difference with other christian faith?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:47am
brutus wrote:

wow poor bastard he must really be in sad place right now....I wonder what repercussions could come his way?

Repercussions? Can you elaborate?

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:51am

Haha brutus ;)
Keep digging…
You attempt to cover your sadness with religious hyperbole ;)

Sounds like nev saved himself ;)

And all you can say is ‘wow poor bastard he must really be sad place right now’

What a clueless assumption once again steeped in ignorance and arrogance!

The poor bastard in a sad place is the one who has to try preach bullshit to others forcibly whilst having to convince them that they are coming from a place of love and generosity ;)

Why is that ? ;);)

The delusion is strong old man …

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:53am

Originally, the Old Testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek which was the language of the day just as English is now the global language. Everyone spoke Greek and some their own language as well. The bible was then translated into English and obviously in Latin by the romans….

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 9:55am
brutus wrote:

yes

views from the cockpit wrote:

Does God exist if there are no humans?

Still waiting for you to answer this question, brutus. You ignore, change the subject, ask a question..yet fail to answer.

Religion and god is a belief, if there are no humans and god still exists who is believing in god? Nothing can’t believe in something. Animals don’t have the ability to believe. What is doing the believing?

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 10:04am
Optimist wrote:
. I’ve only been so called “slain in the spirit” once in my life when I went forward in a meeting to give up my beloved smoking. The guy didn’t even touch me and I fell unconscious on the floor and woke up a while later on a couch in the tea room out back….totally genuine for me and never smoked again….I think there are those who get caught up in hype and really want an experience so kind of force it even though it didn’t happen which is weird I think.

Regarding praying in tongues, it’s a very deep and personal event that only ever happens when God takes over your one on one prayer session and the Holy Spirit amplifies and expands your prayers to a point where your tongue can no longer keep up with the prayers and another higher speed language eventuates. Kind of like praying in fast forward but controlled by another.

That's all easily explained by Its peer pressure coupled with delusion. false. You said it yourself. same applies to your experience.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 10:31am

Thermal Ben......has he raised funds/used his false Christianity in business ?

How many people bought his boards because they thought it was a Christian business , but more importantly how many people did he convert to Christianity , people who believed in him?

thermalben wrote:
brutus wrote:

wow poor bastard he must really be in sad place right now....I wonder what repercussions could come his way?

Repercussions? Can you elaborate?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 10:23am

Roadkill ....God existed before man....he created man .....

Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

yes

views from the cockpit wrote:

Does God exist if there are no humans?

Still waiting for you to answer this question, brutus. You ignore, change the subject, ask a question..yet fail to answer.

Religion and god is a belief, if there are no humans and god still exists who is believing in god? Nothing can’t believe in something. Animals don’t have the ability to believe. What is doing the believing?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 10:30am

Jelly Flater.....if you lived the better part of your life with ya wife , but didn't love her because you had a mistress on the side...where do you think that would end up...inherent sadness or living a lie....what would happen when your kids found out ....consequences??
Living a lie is a lie.......which ever way you try to dress it.....love your old man quote...I am so old quite right......so what does that mean in your world ?

Jelly Flater wrote:

Haha brutus ;)
Keep digging…
You attempt to cover your sadness with religious hyperbole ;)

Sounds like nev saved himself ;)

And all you can say is ‘wow poor bastard he must really be sad place right now’

What a clueless assumption once again steeped in ignorance and arrogance!

The poor bastard in a sad place is the one who has to try preach bullshit to others forcibly whilst having to convince them that they are coming from a place of love and generosity ;)

Why is that ? ;);)

The delusion is strong old man …

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 10:31am
Optimist wrote:

Originally, the Old Testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek which was the language of the day just as English is now the global language. Everyone spoke Greek and some their own language as well. The bible was then translated into English and obviously in Latin by the romans….

So Hebrew and Greek into Latin by the Romans (who precisely?) and then scholars at the Vatican would have edited/refined (nothing wrong with that) and then into English (again nothing wrong with any of that) but why the insistence on the literal meaning of the written word??