Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 10:33pm

Pj harveys latest album is pretty epic, saw her In hobart, prolly
One of the best gigs I've been to, also fleet foxes and bon iver are floating my boat as well, me and the cheese n kisses were listening to drones t'other day in the car thinking they'd be impressive live, the kids did well to sleep through it!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 11:36pm

Ben Howard- Every Kingdom.

Kinda gritty English Jack Johnson. Pommy surfer, amazing voice and equally amazing acoustic guitarist. Check out 'Black Flies' et al on Youtube.

Cool driving music.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 at 5:14pm

Here's a nice clip with a few waves chucked in.

&feature=relmfu

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 at 5:22pm

Everyone's been raving about Bon Iver but I haven't had a chance to suss them out (yet).

Tex Perkins just announced some shows (he's unreal live!) but none of them in Sydney. Boo.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 at 10:47pm

check out the
the Necks [australian trio],
Jackie Orzcsky [ australian band leader and bass player, passed away a few years ago]
dirty three
Jon Cleary and the absolute monster gentlemen [ usa]
and Tom Waits, his latest [and all of his albums rock]

There's sic music happening in syd ben, get amongst it.

be well, cheers

the-roller's picture
the-roller's picture
the-roller Thursday, 1 Mar 2012 at 7:07am

after reviweing this tune, the mighty Paul Fisher/Followthefish might find the time to spin this in one of his brokeback dj mixes.

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 13 Mar 2012 at 7:54pm

saw bon iver in melb last week, fricken amazing, im calling best evers

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 7:10am

Oh man, I'm so out of touch, I know jack about new music. I'm currently going through Talking Heads back catalogue and thinking there couldn't possible be anything better. Yeah, I'm THAT out of touch.

Recommendations welcome.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 7:19am

Last night's grid-lock traffic on the way home allowed me to choose something appropriate to work through the boredom. Grandaddy's 'The Sophtware Slump' ended up being a great fit. Haven't listened to it in years.

Apparently they've reformed?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 7:20am

Therealneil, I saw Bon Iver at the Opera House on Monday night.

I have to say it was the most amazing, phenomenal gig I've ever seen as well. The acoustics in the Opera House made it sound unbelievable and I was grinning from ear to eat as soon as the first note was strummed/sung!

Best evers for sure!

Talking Heads, wow a few years of music to fill in between then and now.

At the moment I'm loving Cloud Nothings new album Attack on Memory. Love the 9 minute wasted days track, good psych up track before a surf!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 7:31am

Stu - give Les Savy Fav a shot, in particular their album 'Lets Stay Friends'. Great pre-surf amp music.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 12:25pm

THEE OH SEES carrion crawler/the dream.Give the track the dream a listen for a pre surf amp play loud.also OFF!s 4ep's 15 songs in 14 mins get in there and get out job done now there's some serious pre amp tunes

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 6:32pm

The band: THE CRUCIFUCKS the album: WISCONSIN the track: INTRO

this track was made for some unnamed and (as yet) unmade surf flick intro...maybe I should send this suggestion to Dane or summat...even though it's old! (circa 87)

up for some new 'original hardcore' for your pre-surf amp up, kids? OFF!(with Keith Morris!!) CEREBRAL BALLZY! TRASH TALK!

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Friday, 16 Mar 2012 at 10:51am

All reports say a good night was had at the pier hotel last weekend in pt lincoln when surf /punk band 'THE VERMEN" played for the first time in 8 years....the crowd erupted when they belted out the ol favorite "boogers suk"....i rekn you can find the film clip on youtuba!! haha yeeew

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Friday, 16 Mar 2012 at 1:05pm

VERMEN! Sickballz! The drummer sure knows how to pound the skins! JS are you their manager? Maybe you should be! Another feather in your cap...

CLOUD NOTHINGS...more Steve Albini connection...that man has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies I like...from TRASH TALK to KILLDOZER to THE WEDDING PRESENT etc etc to his own stuff...SHELLAC! 'Prayer to God' anyone?

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Saturday, 17 Mar 2012 at 4:02pm

while one was flicking through his entire catalogue of demis rusos and nana mouskoury duets in greeklish one stumbled upon two of the best albums ever in the whole entire universe and they where, 1) early warning , spunky demarchi and the baby animals

2) mark lizotte , big mr deisel
another that found its way onto one ipod (thank you princess bigwayne) is holiday in cambodia by our undeniable favorites dead kennadys

this was bought to you by a havin a ball even though the waves have been crap here HRH bigwayne

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 17 Mar 2012 at 10:23pm

Sid nominates the Cross Canadian Ragweed band...

them boys from Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 at 2:55am

And STF, this ones for you baby.

Keep it real homie.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 at 3:01am

Don't feel left out Schmuckers, this ones for you too:-

the-roller's picture
the-roller's picture
the-roller Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 at 3:51am

Stu, are you interested in chill out music?

Miguel Migs/Nightsource - Just Right.

&list=FLDceTC4hrNFuvrQE9stxxAA&index=13&feature=plpp_video

Dimitri From Paris - Motivation

&list=FLDceTC4hrNFuvrQE9stxxAA&index=16&feature=plpp_video

Or any tune by Lemon Jelly...

Closer,

&feature=related

Ramblin' Man,

&feature=related

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 3:28pm

Craig, bit of a late response but, yeah the main bon iver bloke Justin Vernon has to be nothing short of a musical genius, can't get enough of it,

Matt corbys been getting a spin as well despite his questionable aus idol past, been enjoying suggestions so far, couldn't find vermen shmucky, great name though

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 3:42pm

Gave Refused's 'The Shape Of Punk To Come' a spin last night. Hopefully they come over to Australia as a part of their reunion shows.

the-roller's picture
the-roller's picture
the-roller Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 5:35am

The Drums recently toured Australia. Top shelf band. Jonathan and the rest of the boys are cool as, and hard working blokes to boot.

Anyone see them?

&ob=av2e

&ob=av2e

&feature=relmfu

the-roller's picture
the-roller's picture
the-roller Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 5:37am

Who doesn't like a good whistling tune or two?

The Drums.

&feature=related

Peter, Bjorn, & John

&feature=related

the-roller's picture
the-roller's picture
the-roller Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 10:05am

Alrighty now. Stu. Shearsie...

For the oldies, here's an updated video of an old tune.

Rock on.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Thursday, 26 Apr 2012 at 2:07pm

Check out freedownload at bandcamp "Don't play dumb" by Outtacontroller the whole album is a gem get on it.

mr-mysto's picture
mr-mysto's picture
mr-mysto Sunday, 29 Apr 2012 at 10:05pm

best of fleetwood mac

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 30 Apr 2012 at 9:00am

Nah Mysto I've always thought the best of Kenny Rogers tears strips of anything Stevie Nicks has ever produced

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 1:51pm

Frase, I concur...I mean, about the Outtacontroller LP...sickballz! As for the K-man vs Nicksy & the Mac, hmmmmm, horses for courses, methinks. Actually Mac are hideous, always were, and the best of Kenny Rogers is what? a 4 track EP?? Now, Willie Nelson! That's a different kettle of lime-scale!! All together now, "I've never gone to bed with an ugly woman, but I've sure woken up with a few...Have you ever gone to bed at 2 with a 10, and woke up at 10 with a 2"!!

willywag's picture
willywag's picture
willywag Monday, 18 Jun 2012 at 8:46pm

hey Thermal ben, been looking round an old 'Rash' ep, dont suppose there's anywhere where you can find it nowdays? Mine was ripped off years ago in a house breakin. Now that Big Star has gone its hard to source out some old 2nd hand stuff.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 19 Jun 2012 at 6:37am

Jeez willywag, that was another era - it's been 17 years since Rash released its first EP! (and there were a few demos the year before that). I have them all here somewhere - I'll see if I can create a Bandcamp page where you can download them for free.

willywag's picture
willywag's picture
willywag Tuesday, 19 Jun 2012 at 7:46am

wow it was around 17 years ago i was sinking pales in the austral beer garden listening to rash? i am getting old.

bishmann's picture
bishmann's picture
bishmann Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 5:07pm

If your interested in somthing a bit different try nz band MOUNTAINEATER im a big fan

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 8:17pm

New albums ive bought in last few months.

Money for rope (self titled) = 7/10 Good but there kind of starting to go in a direction that IMO is a bit more bland then there first few songs like "my house or yours" "six gun Johnny" that are absolute gold.

Sebadoh (Defend yourself) = 4/10 Given it heaps of listens but apart from the odd song just hasn't grown on me like a lot of there previous albums like Bakesale, Bubble and Scrape and The seBADoh did.

Vista chino (Peace) = 5/10 Second song is killer, but the rest is kinda average, nowhere near the standard Kyuss set, thank god Josh stopped them using the Kyuss name.

Tumbleweed (sounds from the other side)= 9/10 Amazing album, as good as anything they have ever done and probably there strongest from start to end, highly recommended, come back album of the decade.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 8:20pm

What a bloody good list of recommendations there mate. I'm gonna try 'em all.

Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 6:48pm

Best new chill out tunes i've found recently; "Bonobo", mainly instrumental but a few vocals here n' there, absolutely beautiful layered horns, guitars n various other textures…
My favourite artists in this genre generally speaking : Theivery Corporation / Fat freddy's drop / Nighmares on wax / Massive Attack - (old and contemporary)
And a new psychedelic funk-groove band I found recently "The Stepkids", It's like Parliament meets Sly n' family stone reborn.
Best new Punk band "Parquet Courts' - Artsy Poet punk rock with a bit of punch! Very inspired by 'Eddy Current Supression Ring' Very minimal old school English esc Punk band from Aus...
New rock artists; 'Kingswood' 'Violent Soho' 'Tame Impala' - latest album amazing - taking a feather from pink floyd dark side of the moon

Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 6:53pm

And also 'Dinosaur Jr', I bet on Sky, if your into the post grunge era!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 7:22pm

bossa n stones.....different , good chill out /driving music.
example - shes so cold . on u tube

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 7:40pm

Thee old aussie kookaburra gum tree song on the way to the surf rocks.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 7:57pm

What the hell was THAT Welly??

Been listening to a lot of Captain Beefheart lately. Took me the better part of twenty years to get into him and now I'm having a right Beefheart binge. Don't ask which tunes, I'm snout first in the trough barely acknowledging the song titles.

Also listening to a local band from around here (Thirroul/Austinmer) called Shining Bird. A mate signed them on his label and he dropped their EP 'Leisure Coast' around. Great chilled music for, well, whatever it is you do when you chill out. Me, I wait for the kids to go to bed then sit in the shed or on the lawn, drink a beer, and listen to the cicadas. And now I also listen to this record. Thank dog for sheds and old gramophones. And beer too!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 8:11pm

No serious now, I like my Progressive Psy Trance, has to be deep and phat
Neelix, Symphonix, Phaxe, S>Range, Ace Ventura, Astrix, Atmotech(Atmos), Grouch NZ, East coast Aussie boy (Tetrameth) who plays some tripped out cool funky shit.

To cruise I like melodic techno, also deep and phat
Microtrauma, Miicrologue, Boris Berjcha, etc
:)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 8:15pm

They all sound like computer viruses, Welly. Be careful downloading any of their toons, y'hear.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 8:15pm
stunet wrote:

Thank dog for sheds and old gramophones. And beer too!

I love how dog is god backwards, Your so tricky with your boffin literature !!!!!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 8:19pm
stunet wrote:

They all sound like computer viruses, Welly. Be careful downloading any of their toons, y'hear.

Thats gold, classic comment :)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 21 Jan 2014 at 8:59pm

Listening to a bit of Mike Watt. King Mike Watt, that is. And on this track he's joined by a singer called Eddie, a drummer called Dave, and another bloke named Krist.

"The kids of today should defend themselves against the 70’s
It'’s not reality, just someone else’s sentimentality.
Baby boomers selling you rumors of their history
Forcing youth away from the truth of what’'s real today."

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 9:57am

You have to love that Stu. Shaving off their beards and getting rid of the single fins and vintage cars would be a good start!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 9:59am

.....and have you listened to what the Captain did with Zappa. There are a couple of classics there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 10:27am

blindboy wrote:

You have to love that Stu. Shaving off their beards and getting rid of the single fins and vintage cars would be a good start!

Bingo! Manufactured/missplaced nostalgia ain't exclusive to surfing but it's the first thing I thought of too.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 10:33am

blindboy wrote:

.....and have you listened to what the Captain did with Zappa. There are a couple of classics there.

Zappa still remains an enigma to me. All those 7/8 time signatures, oblique references, and path of most resistance tempo changes I find offputting. That said, I've got an old Zappa, Beefheart LP out in the shed that I plan to dig out soon. Might do some further digging on Spotify/Pandora.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 10:57am

They don't make tv like this anymore.

Norman Gunston interviewing Frank Zappa.