Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 11:37am

Thanks zen, that led to 30 minutes of my time being wasted in the best way.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 2:39pm

Hi Ben I just noticed the start up comment about The Drones. They are my favourite band of all time, seen them probably a dozen times and have their whole catalogue plus Gareth's solo album. All great stuff. Saw them last year at the Opera House. It was bizarre to be sitting down rather than caught in a sweaty crush but still a great show

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 4:04pm

Yeah they're a pretty amazing band BB. Not so keen on their most recent album but the first two are incredible and I have Gareth's solo album too which I really like. I wasn't interested in seeing them at the Opera House (on principle.. Shouldn't be sitting down for a band like that!) but am super keen to get to their next show. 

Great to see another surfer with such good taste in music!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 6:04pm

So from the start I have:
Here Come The Lies. Raw as hell and dark as night
The Miller's Daughter. Still raw, still dark
Wait Long By The River. What can you say? Album of the decade I reckon
Gala Mill. Slight change of pace maybe not quite up to earlier standards but Jezebel and I'm Here Now are as good as anything they have ever done.
Live at Spaceland 2006......their show around about Wait Long By The River
Havilah....you already mentioned
Live At The Hi Fi...their show around the time of Havilah but worth it for the version of Kev Carmody's River Of Tears alone.
Strange Tourist.....Album of the following decade? Saw him do it live at the Arts Factory
I See Seaweed....definitely weaker than what has gone before but still worth a listen.

I think Gareth Liddiard is probably the best lyricist since Dylan. I can't help thinking that maybe to some extent it's over. I don't know if it is humanly possible to maintain that level of intensity after so many years .... but I have high hopes for his solo career.

.....and I absolutely deny any sort of obsession. I really could go a day without listening to them if I wanted to......

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 8:37pm

Quality Zen. Norman was the best ever.

Little Feat ………..

A real foot taper ……..

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 at 9:12pm

Pisser Zenbefore, ...:)
Every time I shave, he always comes to mind

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 8:23am

I've rediscovered a whole bunch of bands recently, starting with the Archers of Loaf's fine album 'White Trash Heroes'. Haven't listed to this album in a decade or so, and it's still unreal. 

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 10:47am

^ love the archers of loaf, one of the first gigs i saw too, at a youthy. I think i must have been 12 - 13. I still remember the gig, and became an instant fan, nice pick ben.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 12:13pm

I remember seeing the Archers at the adelaide Uni Bar circa 94 or 95? Reckon it was after icky mettle was realeased, awesome gig I think ....... I only recently found that CD along with my old Buff Tom CDs and a few others. Hey Ben where can we find your old band stuff, My copy of the EP was stolen years ago along with most of my CDs, only have a few left from that time, looked on YT but the old Rash doesn't reveal any hits.
Been getting into the old You Am I stuff as well, 'Cant get started', Coprolalia and Sound as ever.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 12:29pm

Buffalo Tom! Haven't thought of them for years. Saw them at a venue on Hindley St (who's name escapes me).. was an unreal show.

salt wrote:

Hey Ben where can we find your old band stuff, My copy of the EP was stolen years ago along with most of my CDs, only have a few left from that time, looked on YT but the old Rash doesn't reveal any hits.

Nah there's nothing of Rash online - I'll try and get the four EPs up into Bandcamp. However the Diplomat album (Welcome Departure) and EP (The Divine and the Impure) are on Bandcamp for free.. I'll find the links shortly.

salt wrote:

Been getting into the old You Am I stuff as well, 'Cant get started', Coprolalia and Sound as ever.

Same I listened to Coprolalia and Sound as Ever just last weekend. What a great period that was for Australian music. Actually remember the first time I saw You Am I, during the '93 Big Day Out (which I was fortunate enough to play at with The Undecided).. YAI had just released Coprolalia and Mark Tunaley was drumming. They had a shocking set though.. tech problems and 40 degree heat and it all went pear shaped. Still, they went on to do some incredible shows in Adelaide which we were really lucky to play at.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 12:30pm
salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 12:45pm

Your right Ben what an awesome time that early to late 90s was in music. Some great Aussie bands in the mix as well, Glide, Smudge, Mark of Cain shit the list can go on and on.
I was at that Buff Tom gig I reckon, at the time, the place was called Liberty? or was it 'The Empire' or was it still the 'Front Page' changed owners/management regularly, good place to see a live band though. I think they were supported by swervedriver? maybe not, shit its a long time ago.
I was a massive YAI fan, still am, saw some awesome gigs as well as some dodgey ones, the best YAI gig I've been to must have been at the Uni bar around 94, supported by powderfinger and 'The Egg' just after they released Sound as ever, powderfinger had only dropped 'parable for wooden ears' at that stage. A close second is the gig they did last year at Thebby, Hi Fi way and Hourly daily played in their entirety, with tracks Berlin chair and Sound as ever as their encore ......Awesome.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:00pm

Holy Shit. I didn't think anyone else out there knew about Glide.. one of my favourite Australian bands from that era. Actually saw Smudge a few weeks ago when they supported Screamfeeder at the Annandale - I actually wasn't a fan back in the day but they put on a great show!

Yeah that was the name of the venue - Liberty. Shocking name and a weird place (old movie theatre, wasn't it?). We played there only once, with TISM. Didn't like it much.

Swervedriver never played at Liberty - we actually supported them on their first Australian show at the Tivoli (which was amazing!), they then went on to do a very average show supporting Powderfinger outdoors at Adelaide Uni, and then a cracking show at the Adelaide Unibar a few months later. Can't recall any other shows of their (apart form some of the more recent tours, I think they played at The Gov last year).

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:01pm

Seconded in the aussie pile- Mark of cain. Early Magic Dirt recommended, and Adalita has some new stuff worth a listen. Cant stop listening to Hoss album Bring on the juice. A huge fan of anything Joel Silbersher does.
New stuff, White Hills album so you are, White manna self titled, Goat album world music and the live album is fun too. Thee oh sees album floating coffin. The Growlers and Black Angels on a long drive to the surf.
Going back a bit, Electric Wizard (original lineup any album actually) album Come my fanatics, Lightning Bolt (check out the drummer, also black pus -absolutely bonkers with good clips) album Earthly delights, Weedeater album Jason the dragon.
Late night, very calm but you can still blow your amps, good desert music too, Barn Owl album Ancestral Star. The new one is excellent as well.
Good thread, got a few leads from here............just getting into The Drones myself. checked out the Mountaineaters from a suggestion here, and funnnniest and best vid from the urban angle, can it be beat, Die Antwoords "baby on fire" from their website? King Krule worth a spin.

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:14pm

Ahhh, Swervedriver album mezcal head, another one that never left the cd player............

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:15pm

I thought the new Adalita was a bit over cooked hem-stret, needed to be rawer or something. Tim Rogers solo stuff has also been seriously good, the double of Ghost Songs and Dirty Ron in particular......saw You Am I a couple of times but under adverse circumstances ie opening for Iggy Pop.....you wanna get blown off the stage? Open for Iggy.

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:18pm

Anyone know what happened to Blue Experience................?

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:21pm

Iggy Pop, 'real cool time', sums up the real the motivation for everything blokes do.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:28pm

Loved Glide, those guitars..wrenching vocals... pity william arthur passed, only saw them once, at the gate one bar, me and about 3 others on a sunday night.
Cheers for the links ben, cool

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:30pm

Yeah I was at that gig. So you, me and two others!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 1:32pm

It's a shame TMOC didn't have Stanier drumming when they recorded Ill At Ease (or anything else prior to that). Incredible songs but the drumming - and especially the production - really let it down. I really liked This Is This but the last album doesn't do anything for me at all.

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 4:05pm

Re TMOC's last album, 1000 yard stare is up there with their best I reckon. Agree it is inconsistent though. Dont know if better production would enhance 'battlesick' . Not to forget 'bottlesick' from the blood sucking freaks.........Stanier, theres another band that had some pearls, the old Helmet. Ive been going back through the collection a bit now.........Jesus and Mary chain etc. A newish Aussie band that is a bit of a hard listen but have some of the punkish drones vibe is Slug Guts. A great name for a band at the least.

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 4:08pm

The Bearded Clams, another interesting moniker. I was a bit young and took a while to get that one...........

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 4:16pm

Best gig that rocked my world would have been Rollins Band at the Playroom,GC, about 91/92. Touring the 'End of silence' album. Like standing near a jet engine all night, Tumbleweed opened. "Brains on the ceiling" heavy shit, so to speak.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 5:00pm

Would have to be the hardest gig in the land being the drummer for TMOC, the brothers don't seem to suffer anything but water tight.
Super chunk I reckon that's who supported buff tom at liberty, fuck being doing my head in!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 5:10pm

Yep it was Superchunk. It's all coming back to me now too!

I would have loved to have played a few gigs with TMOC on the drums.. I really like the heavy groove they settle into when they're on fire. I actually did stage for them a couple of times, one night John's snare didn't arrive on the plane from Sydney, so I offered my vintage Ludwig for him to use for the night - and he smashed the fucking hoop in two pieces! Fortunately the rest of the drum survived unscathed. Ended up a great night though; was the only time I've ever asked anyone to autograph anything (the snare head he was playing destroyed that night).

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 5:58pm

Hem stret the bearded clams, exploding white mice, test eagles , clowns of decadence, the reckoning, yak spit, rash ahhh

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 6:33pm

Love your guys work, you guys just mentioned half of my favourite bands on one page and some of my favourite albums/Eps, Smudge, Screamfeeder, old era magic dirt, early You am I, Tumbleweed, Exploding white mice, Iggy pop, Swervedriver, Archers of loaf and Superchunk and just about every other band mentioned i also don't mind, although the odd few bands i haven't heard of so will have to check them out.

Superchunk were my favourite band for years love there first seven or so albums but don't really get into there last few, one of the best live bands though, saw them and Buffalo tom on that tour way back but at Livid.

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 6:48pm

salt- Hot tomatoes, Iron Shieks.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 10:24pm

Awesome memories, showing our age guys. Hem stret, not long ago there was a reunion down here of a few of the bands mentioned. I think it was at the porties footy club, unfortunately I had a wedding to attend on the same night. Pretty sure the clams got back together for it, testeagles , maybe even exploding white mice? Not sure, but apparently it went off. Back in the early to late 90s all I did was spend my money on CDs! going to gigs! and petrol to travel surfing......golden days, pre wife, pre kids, pre mortgage.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 at 10:54pm

Recently downloaded some T.S.O.L onto my ITunes. Reliving my misspent youth back in the 80's....

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 9:00am

Ahhh, Porties, got to see mad dog biff a few crew there, someone paid out his missus once on the sidelines and he walked past and biffed the two blokes and women involved. Salt- devastated my mates there did'nt tip me off about that gig. It would've gone off cause crew knew how to go off in those days........

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 11:05am

Love all sorts of genres from thrash metal to classical to Break beats, techno and trance...dont like much radio stuff though or RnB style made to be popular music.Havent been listening to much new stuff.
Here are a few of my all time faves-

Carl Orff - Gassenhauer -theme of the Movie Badlands.

&list=FLK2UeB8aNHGme0RXoTgHxog

Which influenced this track by Hans Zimmerman

(And influenced Tarantino written true romance)

Love this before a surf. They got out of rock and into dance music after this sometime.

Simple Minds

Guru Josh classic- back when Raves were illegal warehouse parties with no king hit punches or
roided out losers to be seen.

Recent chill out version

This track is one of the greats in the movie Berlin Calling, good dance party movie with the real producers and dj's acting in the movie.

HedFlux - fat Breakbeats x Psy trance...will get anyone on a dance floor busting a move.
A few examples

Sasha Carassi, real techno Italian style.Dark and dirty.

A lot of others on his label are pretty good too.

A lot of stuff from Adam Beyer, Dave Clarke, Ben Sims etc too.

Trance,
Love some of solarstones stuff and Ferry Corsten a few, dont like to much trance but some of these are classics. Great for sipping beer in the bush or laying on the grass looking at the stars :)

Seven Cities remix, the original is just as good.

SolarStone theme to Blade Runner

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 11:34am

Have to add this. Funky as hell rock.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 1:34pm

The new album by BIG UPS for some Fugazi style tunes also The King Khan and BBQ Show "Invisible Girl" great funny stuff.Oh and anything by The Black Lips

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 1:57pm

sweet tunes, gettin put up.

Ben ' nice drumming mate. are you still playing [ excuse my ignorance].

welly - stoked to see spoonbill gettin a plug

cheers

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 2:34pm

Thanks Niggly. Yeah still drumming - Diplomat hasn't played for a while (as I haven't had much time to travel back to Adelaide) but I'm playing in an instrumental Sydney band called Grün. I joined after they'd recorded and released a 4 track EP and album, but we recorded our second album late last year and will hopefully have it out in the next few months. 

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 7:04pm

Have to suggest this one, I went and checked this band after Shane Herring had them in a current music list many moons ago. Danzig. First three albums you cant go wrong, Morrison style vocalizations over devil blues music. If you are liking the soft stuff, you cant go past Mazzy Star. Early morning, late night fare with a couple of red wines or an ounce.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 7:22pm

OK, kids are in bed, weekend beers have begun, music too...

The Gun Club, from the incredible 'Fire Of Love' album. Amphetamine-fuelled American punk mixed with Southern gothic blues. One of my faves.

Sex Beat
Ghost On The Highway
Fire Spirit
She's Like Heroin To Me

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 24 Jan 2014 at 7:27pm

hem-stret wrote:

Have to suggest this one, I went and checked this band after Shane Herring had them in a current music list many moons ago. Danzig. First three albums you cant go wrong, Morrison style vocalizations over devil blues music. If you are liking the soft stuff, you cant go past Mazzy Star. Early morning, late night fare with a couple of red wines or an ounce.

Just couldn't get into Danzig, Samhain, and whatever other band Glen Danzig was in post-Misfits. When the Misfits sung 'Hatebreeders' and 'Skulls' ("I want your skull") I dug it for the cheesy schlock that it was. When Glen started getting all serious with his occult and Oliver Cromwell obsessions I had to tune out.

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 12:21am

Hey stu, I disagree heartily with Danzig. Regarding the Misfits and Samhain though, I dont know what they are going on about . Great tshirts though! I will checkout the Gun Club, Ive heard from good sources (notwithstanding your good self) and you reminded me about them. This thread has got me digging through the cd racks........someone from Vicco may be able to help me out, the Red Sun Band, are they still going? Ive just added a few long lost tracks to the MP3.
Yorkessurfer - TSOL, "surf into summer" ? that vid got me pumped for surfing 2 ft triggs, trying to hotdog like Butto on a single fin Skipp- hah, I used to dream about weekend trips in the panel van ( swagging on the bonnet cause I caught a lift) and cruising out near Dalys. In those days no one used to bother, always had it solo, apart from an aggro Gary Arkus....... I could only imagine it now. Am I that old really?The original boys always told me I missed it...................Lizards was like Sunset beach in those days for me

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 12:23pm

This is awesome, its bringing back old school memories with music from the past that I have listened to, it helps me recollect my past experiences.

GS, you might appreciate these guys, some melodic techno.

To everyone else on this forum, from analog to digital, from bands , thrash , punk, rock n roll etc, I grew up in the 70's and have listened to everything and love all music . I'm never stuck in a hole listening to old music, music to me is about advancing with technology (just like surfboards and surfiing, etc). The digital age of music with analog mixed as explained in this link, this is why these guys are musicians as well as tech music heads.
I hope you old schoolers watch this to understand what goes into making the leading melodic techno in the world at the moment, with out a doubt.

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/minilogue-setup/

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 12:12am

Wellymon, Aphex Twin have the spot in the area I think you were going here in my collection, due limited MB download space. I got 1' of seagulls! Not to worry, maybe next month!

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 12:20am

Stunet, the Gun Club slotted next to Radio Birdman, rightly or wrongly!
Cheers!

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 12:28am

Wellymon, if i have guessed your area of the world correctly, I have 'Boris' blowing the speakers in Australia for you. No techno but all six string. I will be in the crowd next time they tour the nanny nation..............

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 10:43am

Saw Canadian band Metz at Good God late last year. Incredible live!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 3:52pm
yorkessurfer wrote:

Recently downloaded some T.S.O.L onto my ITunes. Reliving my misspent youth back in the 80's....

Love those TSOL tunes from those old Billabong vids like "filthy habits" and "Surf into summer " especially there song "colours (take me away)" always reminds me of occy ripping

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 3:55pm
stunet wrote:

hem-stret wrote:

Just couldn't get into Danzig, Samhain, and whatever other band Glen Danzig was in post-Misfits. When the Misfits sung 'Hatebreeders' and 'Skulls' ("I want your skull") I dug it for the cheesy schlock that it was. When Glen started getting all serious with his occult and Oliver Cromwell obsessions I had to tune out.

My friends loved Danzig but i always got put off by all that occult stuff in the same way christian bands put me off, but just youtubed them and i think i might have to download some of there better tunes, don't know if its just nostalgia but they seem to sound better now.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 4:24pm
thermalben wrote:

Here ya go Salt: Welcome Departure and The Divine and the Impure.

Might have to download a few tracks, i think i could get into some of this, some of the sounds are kinda like latter Screamfeeder, mid Something for kate or Sandpit. (sorry have to compare to something)

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 4:42pm

Ben' grun sound great' make sure u let the forum know when your gig'n in town.

welmon - have you checked out crew on accidental records?