Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 6:11pm
niggly wrote:

Ben' grun sound great' make sure u let the forum know when your gig'n in town.

welmon - have you checked out crew on accidental records?

I will check em out cheers, I know the record label :)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 25 Jan 2014 at 6:14pm
hem-stret wrote:

Wellymon, if i have guessed your area of the world correctly, I have 'Boris' blowing the speakers in Australia for you. No techno but all six string. I will be in the crowd next time they tour the nanny nation..............

Hemi, explain please, do you do promotions in this genre?
I'm guessing your cryptic post....?

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Sunday, 26 Jan 2014 at 6:13am

welly, not meaning to be cryptic. I just mentioned I was having a listen to one of your links and the song took a while to get going.
Im definitely not a promoter.
To clarify my last referenced band 'Boris', the albums 'Pink, or, Akuma No Uta' would be recommendations from their voluminous catalogue.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 26 Jan 2014 at 8:56am

This mix is more up tempo.

Anthony Sillfors, S>Range.
https://soundcloud.com/s-range/s-range_virada-cultural2013

novak's picture
novak's picture
novak Sunday, 26 Jan 2014 at 12:28pm

"Powderfinger- Rockin' Rocks" is a really good song. Heard it in Blue Horizon in probably the best video section AI ever had.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 26 Jan 2014 at 1:47pm

Gawd, how good are Mclusky? Just rediscovered 'Mclusky Do Dallas' and it was a bloody good choice for a pre-surf amp up.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 26 Jan 2014 at 3:19pm
thermalben wrote:

Gawd, how good are Mclusky? Just rediscovered 'Mclusky Do Dallas' and it was a bloody good choice for a pre-surf amp up.

The latest Future of the Left stuff is pretty epic also.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 at 12:50pm

Screamfeeder are offering a free download of there "singles and more" album for this week only on bandcamp, definitely worth downloading got some of there best songs on it, like "wrote you off" "whos counting" "fingers and toes" "button" "Dart" "static" "gravity" "triple hook" "Hi C's" "Stopless" and more.

https://screamfeeder.bandcamp.com/album/introducing-screamfeeder-singles...

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 at 2:27pm

Oh wow I-D, you've russled up some memories there! I'll have to go searching through all the CD's and find them. Haven't listened to them for years. Cheers.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 at 3:19pm

You must be on their Facebook page list too ID :)

Burn Out Your Name is a bloody good album. Screamfeeder were a big part of my early twenties.. so many good memories!

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 at 4:34pm

Awesome indo, thanks for the heads up!

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 at 4:37pm

What do I have to do to get that screamfeeder cd?

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 at 4:45pm

Worked it out

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 at 5:31pm
thermalben wrote:

You must be on their Facebook page list too ID :)

Burn Out Your Name is a bloody good album. Screamfeeder were a big part of my early twenties.. so many good memories!

Ha ha..yep.

Yeah thats my favourite Screamfeeder album, classic Aussie album.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 at 7:25pm

Caught Primus in Sydney last week, made me wish I still took acid. Always worth a spin.

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 11:41pm

after the last couple of years cherry picking on i tunes i've just bought the latest Arctic Monkeys,Gary Clarke Jnr.[Blak and Blue] and Jake Bugg and playing the hell out of them all.i'd forgotten how good a whole album can be.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 13 Feb 2014 at 10:06pm

Just listened to some old skunkhour, they were awesome live

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 7:28am

salt wrote:

Just listened to some old skunkhour, they were awesome live

I've married into the (extended) Skunkhour family. Aya and Del are my wife's cousins, gonna see 'em in two weeks in fact. Aya owns a bar at Bondi and still sings.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 11:33am

I've been giving the Very's a bit of a run lately. Still remember their final gig at (I think) the Annandale. Awesome live.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 11:41am

Holy shit F21.. I didn't think anyone here would know the Verys! I did a gig with them at the Annandale in 1995 (our first in Sydney, with Screamfeeder too).. I've got two of the Verys EPs and their album Twentieth Century Fix.. the EPs are bloody amazing, and I still give them a run every now and then.

What was the band that singer Tim (?) formed some time afterwards? I remember hearing them on the radio but never got around to getting a DC. Kinda alt-country thing, I remember liking what I heard. Would love to track it down again.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 11:50am

TB, I would have seen them a dozen times during the '90's. Loved 'em. To this day when they pop up on my shuffle I stop and will play them for hours full noise.

I'll have to dig through all my CD's as I vaguely remember the band your refering too, but that was a while ago!!!I don't even know if I have it as I can't remember the name either.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 12:03pm

Grandview.. that's what they were called (just Googled). He also played in The Dearhunters with Jodi Phillis from The Clouds.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 18 Feb 2014 at 8:42am

Peak hour traffic is made all the more bearable this morning with Les Savy Fav's "Let's Stay Friends", followed by Not From There's "Sand on Seven".

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 18 Feb 2014 at 6:49pm

Another free Screamfeeder download "Burn out your name" IMO there best album an Aussie classic.

http://screamfeeder.bandcamp.com/album/burn-out-your-name

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 19 Feb 2014 at 4:11pm

The new Beck album is worth a listen. Not much new from the Seachange album but it still sounds great. http://www.npr.org/2014/02/16/274773496/first-listen-beck-morning-phase?...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Feb 2014 at 12:18pm

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Feb 2014 at 12:21pm

Or amp up to this......... Ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 23 Feb 2014 at 3:01pm

Yeah Sheepdog, two amazing songs..heres another classic

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Feb 2014 at 3:37pm

Freekn good band, Indo dreaming, but perhaps we are showing our age lol :)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Feb 2014 at 3:38pm

Ps, Indo..... I don't mind being Genx........ One foot in the past, one foot in the now....... :)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 23 Feb 2014 at 5:46pm

Both those Melvins albums "Houdini" and "Stoner witch" have some great songs, ive skimmed through a lot of there other albums but find there is a lot of stuff thats pretty average.

Have you got any recommendations of songs from there other albums to download?

Cheers

redbeard's picture
redbeard's picture
redbeard Monday, 24 Feb 2014 at 9:12am

big fan of the melvins if you like houdini and stoner witch first song off stag think its called the bit is not a bad one captain pungent and berthas off the same album too. the bootlicker is a good album bit slower tempo but great driving tunes.

billroy's picture
billroy's picture
billroy Monday, 24 Feb 2014 at 9:46am

Hadn't listened to much melvins, just Houdini a bit. Saw them at Meredith last year and was blown away. They had two drummers, one playing left handed which looked like a mirror was set up next to one of them. Definitely a highlight og the weekend.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Feb 2014 at 11:47am

Indo, Redbeard suggestions are pretty good. Billroy, I'm jealous......... Late 80s, 90s freekn rocked! Sh*t.... Sound like a boomer goin' on about the 60s....... - more x gen magic -

One of the best bassists I've ever heard...... underrated guitarist..... Tight drums....

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 11:38am

Whitey mate here's a link to 'Neelix', latest computer virus haha, careful catchey prog psy :)

https://soundcloud.com/neelix/neelix-milk-reload

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 4:25pm
redbeard wrote:

big fan of the melvins if you like houdini and stoner witch first song off stag think its called the bit is not a bad one captain pungent and berthas off the same album too. the bootlicker is a good album bit slower tempo but great driving tunes.

Cheers will check those suggestions out.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 4:34pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Indo, Redbeard suggestions are pretty good. Billroy, I'm jealous......... Late 80s, 90s freekn rocked! Sh*t.... Sound like a boomer goin' on about the 60s....... - more x gen magic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFMJ4-ai1I One of the best bassists I've ever heard...... underrated guitarist..... Tight drums....

Yeah Les Claypool is a sick bass player and classic unique sounding band...first albums the best "frizzle fry" not a dud song, seen them live twice, once blew me away, next time was disappointing but i guess that can happen with any band, good days, bad days.

Showing my age to, but got to agree the late 80,s early 90,s was a golden era for music, theres still some good music around nowadays but its so damn hard to find, theres just to much out there and everything now always sounds like something else but often not as good...to quote a superchunk lyric "theres nothing new, nothing new, every things borrowed, every things used"

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 5:22pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Showing my age to, but got to agree the late 80,s early 90,s was a golden era for music, theres still some good music around nowadays but its so damn hard to find, theres just to much out there and everything now always sounds like something else but often not as good...to quote a superchunk lyric "theres nothing new, nothing new, every things borrowed, every things used"

That could be true ID, but I believe good music started in the late 60's early 70's, then it started to develop with great LSD, rock'n'roll started in 64- 65 after listening to Jazz, with putting a back beat into it. Rock'n'Roll,Chiago blues, developed from Jazz, which was considered as demonised music.
Music has developed, keeps reapting itself as your have stated from 'Superchunk'.

What do you think ID, where is music going to go, I konw alot of young people now days will listen to old rock'n'roll in the 70's.
I am lucky enough to have been brought up in that generation and I always progress so to speak with my music I listen to.
Hence why I like listening to good phat electronic music that takes you on a journey.
Do you think George Lucas started this electronic music.....?
All music is, Is One Two Three Four with more expanding different sound :)

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 6:33pm

'All music is, Is One Two Three Four with more expanding different sound :)'

hah, Sunn Ojjjj, Mesuggah, A Hawk and a Hacksaw- a few different bands and their variations of the chorus, verse, chorus approach too....

Skunkhour - I reckon, ' Up to our necks in it' is one of the best Aussie songs out there. Underrated. But they didn't really go on with it.....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 7:11pm
wellymon wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

That could be true ID, but I believe good music started in the late 60's early 70's, then it started to develop with great LSD, rock'n'roll started in 64- 65 after listening to Jazz, with putting a back beat into it. Rock'n'Roll,Chiago blues, developed from Jazz, which was considered as demonised music.
Music has developed, keeps reapting itself as your have stated from 'Superchunk'.

What do you think ID, where is music going to go, I konw alot of young people now days will listen to old rock'n'roll in the 70's.
I am lucky enough to have been brought up in that generation and I always progress so to speak with my music I listen to.
Hence why I like listening to good phat electronic music that takes you on a journey.
Do you think George Lucas started this electronic music.....?
All music is, Is One Two Three Four with more expanding different sound :)

Yeah totally agree the late 60,s early 70,s was perhaps an even bigger golden era of music (and generally speaking much better musician wise, not just bare chords like the late 80,s-90s bands were), obviously there is all the classics, beetles, Stones, Doors, Jimmi, Led zep, Pink floyd, Creedence, Sabbath, then Ramones, stooges and much more but there is also a whole lot of less known to the general public great bands from that era like Blue cheer, Radio birdman, MC5, Flamin Groovies and more.

Dont know where music is going, personally i find it kind of saturated and really hard to get into new stuff of any kind, i think because its so different to how things were, once it was so hard to get a hold of a lot of stuff or hear music other than top 40 stuff, like i use to tape rage and spend Sat morning searching for songs i liked then, id order in the bands album or i had to do a trip to an Indie record shop and take a punt on bands or records id heard a song on a surf vid or just heard the band was good.

Now its like its to easy, there is to much to choose from and if i go on Itunes or band camp, i give the song a listen for a few seconds then, im like nah or yeah...when really i think good music needs time, like you have a hunch you will dig it, but you almost need to learn to understand it.

Personally for me, i think the best bands are influenced heaps by what they listened too as they grew up or tarted a band, for me it always seems the bands i like have there roots in proper punk or hardcore, even though those bands are nothing like those genres that are pretty bland really...then the 60-70 stuff most of those bands i dig have blues roots...yeah

But now i feel its like many bands don't have the right roots...maybe thats a crazy thing to say but don't know i think theres just so much missing in most music today...or maybe im just getting old :P

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 7:17pm

the one, the only, KILLDOZER, and their ode to Irwin Allen (one of the finest film directors that ever bestrode Hollywood):

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 7:22pm
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 7:31pm

and some stuff for the young 'uns

OUTTACONTROLLER:

KING KHAN & THE SHRINES:

KING PARROT (even):

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 8:47pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

[

Personally for me, i think the best bands are influenced heaps by what they listened too as they grew up or tarted a band, for me it always seems the bands i like have there roots in proper punk or hardcore, even though those bands are nothing like those genres that are pretty bland really...then the 60-70 stuff most of those bands i dig have blues roots...yeah

But now i feel its like many bands don't have the right roots...maybe thats a crazy thing to say but don't know i think theres just so much missing in most music today...or maybe im just getting old :P

Yeah good call ID, I'm hearing you.
Don't get me wrong here, I've listened to all and everything, for years and respect it all, without a doubt, love live bands etc.

A friend text me before saying something that stands out in my realm of thinking about music.

"Hi good people, music has not changed, what has is people want it to change, the beat is the same just the sound and timing is different, which takes longer to love it, but longer to understand a little bit like life. YO "

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 9:04pm

I follow the same line of thinking as you, Indo Dreaming. For one, just about every band I admire has their roots in early punk and hardcore. I can trace that like a family tree. Also, I wonder about the direction of music and why it seems to have reached a point of stasis. Is it because music is so damn accesible now? You know, it used to take years of digging and searching, costing lots of money and sending you down lots of wrong alleyways to find the shit you liked. Now everything from Can to Bad Brains to G.G. Allin to...fuck, whatever, is available on Spotify. There's little need to gather in subcultures and foster uniform values and beliefs, pushing things forward, evolving. Everything is available to everyone. You can be everywhere at once and be anyone you please. But where's the substance in this shape shifting? The creativity?

Can't help but think this shift out of lineal progression has somehow stunted progress. Then again there's only so many chords on a guitar and structures for a song. Everything may well be done already?

Anyhoo, on a different note, tonight I saw Jim Moginie (Midnight Oil) and Neil Murray (Warumpi Band, Rainmakers) play just around the corner from me. Had no idea what it'd be like, but it was fucken great. Played at Retro Wombat which is an antique/junkyard here in Thirroul, shit lying around everywhere: old petrol bowsers, beat up single fins, rusted chairs, old eskies. Was a BYO affair and sit where you want, kids running around, sulphur crested cockatoos making a racket overhead.

Fellas played all sorts, bits of old Midnight Oil, few new songs, and plenty from Neil's back catalogue. He may be somewhat unfashionable but it's not hard to see Murray as a local and contemporary Woody Guthrie. He sings of the land and he's fucken earnest, but man he's got the spirit. He's got heart. Was a lotta love in that junkyard tonight. I got a glow on and walked home very much at peace with the world.

img_5323.jpg

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 9:39pm

That would have been pretty cool the oils were the first band i really got into when i was young (well not including Kiss and my rap phase) I think jim moginie is often overlooked by people in what he must have brought to the oils, people always think of peter when they think of the oils, but Jim wrote most of the lyrics or collaborated in writing of almost ever song and reading a book on the band it also seemed like he was the one with the passion from the start for much of there subject matter, environmental issues etc.

BTW. I use to go to gigs every weekend down that way in the very late 90,s some hall i think in Thirroul and down the gong (North gong and some other place in town, I think the oxford) and see local bands like, Thumper, Fugg, Thumblock, and any other smaller touring Aussie bands like the Melniks etc.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 11:26pm

I tend to go through periods where ill get stuck on a particular vibe, I dig that Neelix set that you posted Welly, I have at times listened to a lot of trance and progressive over the last few years has been saturated with popularity, its nice to hear something with quirkier sounds and samples.

I listen to a fair bit of electronica from homegrown Newcastle hardcore techno (Bloody Fist) to psy trance, techno, house but probably most consistently dub. In answer to where it came from, basically out of the Moog movement, then through the popular players like Kraftwerk etc.

Punk I dig particularly the conscience stuff that you talk of Stu - DK's, Black Flag even the more offbeat stuff like Buttholes who are a bit more psychedelic but I still lump them in my punk collection.

Big fan of blues and reggae/dub which I collect on record - Son House, Leadbelly, Howlin Wolf etc, in reggae Marley, Tosh, Wailers, Lee Perry, Upsetters, LKJ and so on.

Like everyone there is so much good music out there its hard to begin to cover a small amount here, Im listening to Paul Kelly a lot atm and Tom waits in the car.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 7 Mar 2014 at 12:42pm

Wellymon "Do you think George Lucas started this electronic music.....?"
George Beauchamp.... hehe.
Then in the 60s - Dr who....
Then Brian Eno....
Unfortunately, trance/ techno/dance aint my thing.... The odd song gets me going, usually with an industrial edge. This is a good one - hard edged, with an awesome electric acoustic guitar effect at 1.12

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 7 Mar 2014 at 12:49pm

Same band Wellymon

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 7 Mar 2014 at 3:35pm

Silicun, nice one, I think you can down load that on to a CD and play in ya car or elsewhere, plenty more of Neelix on Souncloud. Hey loved and still love my dub champ, Ive been trying to remember an English dub band back in the late 90's, Dub something a rather maybe you know.!
Silicun have you listened to 'Dub Side Of The Moon' pretty cool version of 'Dark Side Of The Moon', apparently they got the rights from 'Pink Floyd' to re write it in Dub style.

I have a question, which is the best site for music....? I have been using soundclould, Stu was mentioning 'Spotify' just putting the question out, I used to buy a lot of music of 'Beatport'....?
Hey I feel like I'm rippin the artists of but fuck sake so is everyone else ah. Do these artist make something from putting it into these free sites....? It kind of sounds a little like Mr P, Joli Wilson getting ripped off with his photos from ASP, Zosea...?

Hey Sheepo, yeah Prodigy set me off in the late 90's for sure used to love NOFX, Bad Brains etc.
:)
hahahhaha loved the thrash punk stuff.