2022 Election

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 1:05pm
simsurf wrote:
harrycoopr wrote:

Please, all you people threatened by woke-ness. Do you consider yourself a believer in equality, diversity and a fair go? Do you frown upon intolerance, injustice and ignorance? Then congratulations, your woke...or on yr way to it!
Now, trigger me with your microaggressions while I virtue signal my blessed position on transgenderism...

Equality of opportunity is great. Equity of outcome, which is what wokeness demands, is retarded. Two completely different concepts.

Examples of equity of outcome?
Do you mean male and female execs getting pay parity (or any workers in same jobs etc)? Do you have any other examples that woke-ness "demands"?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 1:13pm

So considering that black urban American culture pretty much dominates pop culture globally it’s not okay to be influenced by this?
No more “wassup” or “west side my bro”
as a light hearted greeting?

And the old, if you’re white you’re part of the problem?

Really?

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 3:14pm
AndyM wrote:

So considering that black urban American culture pretty much dominates pop culture globally it’s not okay to be influenced by this?
No more “wassup” or “west side my bro”
as a light hearted greeting?

And the old, if you’re white you’re part of the problem?

Really?

Check ya privileges man
Check ya trigger

simsurf's picture
simsurf's picture
simsurf Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 3:17pm
harrycoopr wrote:
simsurf wrote:
harrycoopr wrote:

Please, all you people threatened by woke-ness. Do you consider yourself a believer in equality, diversity and a fair go? Do you frown upon intolerance, injustice and ignorance? Then congratulations, your woke...or on yr way to it!
Now, trigger me with your microaggressions while I virtue signal my blessed position on transgenderism...

Equality of opportunity is great. Equity of outcome, which is what wokeness demands, is retarded. Two completely different concepts.

Examples of equity of outcome?
Do you mean male and female execs getting pay parity (or any workers in same jobs etc)? Do you have any other examples that woke-ness "demands"?

The example you use is equality. The buzzword of the woke is equity. Equity discriminates against people or groups now in order to make up for historical discrimination against other groups or individuals.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 3:19pm

Privilege?
Trigger?
Hahahaha!

I tell you what.
I’ll get outraged and offended about things that matter and I’ll leave the juvenile social media posturing for someone else.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 4:07pm

So am I supposed to be offended by non Australians talking with an Australian accent as part of a joke? Happens all the time especiallly overseas/. Indo etc. It`s funny and accepted as humour. Or is it ok because I`m a white Australian so everyone can say what they want? Surely there is more important things to be worried about than this shit.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:08pm

Honestly, you guys need a life...esp AndyM and sipcan and a few of the other right wing whiny little bitches.
I dipped in for a bit of a laff ("is he havin a laff?") and it's SO easy winding u up... take the bait everytime. I notice you guys have so much to say and you're oh so right. Is that all yr doing? Just whingeing about wokeness etc... Just wait till Chyna takes over and treats us like we treated the Kooris etc...first the killing, then the concentration camps, then perhaps a few measly rights then our grandkids get a "voice ". Then you'll have something to whinge about ya pack of self-righteous know-it-alls.
When ya can't sleep at night ask yrself what it is you feel threatened by? What it is yr trying to protect? You'll see... you'll see
In the meantime try and get some surfing in...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:13pm

https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/finance-news/2022/07/30/coalition-cor...

The Liberal, National and LNP members need to accept the reality of what they were part of and get on board the reform – or they will remain forever tainted as corrupt and unfit for government.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:15pm

oxrox showing he has no idea how racism works, and AndyM thinks people greet each other with "west side my bro”, just in case he didn't sound enough like a clueless boomer.

happyppl's picture
happyppl's picture
happyppl Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:21pm
harrycoopr wrote:

Honestly, you guys need a life...esp AndyM and sipcan and a few of the other right wing whiny little bitches.
I dipped in for a bit of a laff ("is he havin a laff?") and it's SO easy winding u up... take the bait everytime. I notice you guys have so much to say and you're oh so right. Is that all yr doing? Just whingeing about wokeness etc... Just wait till Chyna takes over and treats us like we treated the Kooris etc...first the killing, then the concentration camps, then perhaps a few measly rights then our grandkids get a "voice ". Then you'll have something to whinge about ya pack of self-righteous know-it-alls.
When ya can't sleep at night ask yrself what it is you feel threatened by? What it is yr trying to protect? You'll see... you'll see

so you are a troll then?
sypo on previous page (fri 7:18pm) told u what woke is.
the only whinger on ere is u, typical woke response when someone disagrees with them.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:42pm
Supafreak wrote:

The Liberal, National and LNP members need to accept the reality of what they were part of and get on board the reform – or they will remain forever tainted as corrupt and unfit for government.

Don't think getting on board is enough. Pork barreling to that extent is corrupt and there should be serious consequences for those involved. Jail time, fines and loss of post politics benefits would be a good start.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:47pm
happyppl wrote:
harrycoopr wrote:

so you are a troll then?
sypo on previous page (fri 7:18pm) told u what woke is.
the only whinger on ere is u, typical woke response when someone disagrees with them.

Lol...yr hilarious!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:52pm

A troll and not a very bright one.

Can't tell the difference between a worthwhile cause and moral posturing.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:56pm
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Don't think getting on board is enough. Pork barreling to that extent is corrupt and there should be serious consequences for those involved. Jail time, fines and loss of post politics benefits would be a good start.

Labor has promised to have an ICAC up and running by xmas 2022 , I hope they deliver on this promise . I can’t see the pork barreling being top of the list and the commission is going to be very busy. The money spent in the wrong area’s just for votes , rather than going where it was really needed is pathetic. To label yourself as the better economic managers is also pathetic. Australians deserve better .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 6:43pm
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Labor has promised to have an ICAC up and running by xmas 2022 , I hope they deliver on this promise . I can’t see the pork barreling being top of the list and the commission is going to be very busy. The money spent in the wrong area’s just for votes , rather than going where it was really needed is pathetic. To label yourself as the better economic managers is also pathetic. Australians deserve better .

Yep 100% in agreement... Just hope Labor do the ICAC properly with teeth and retrospective powers...
Reckon could be a few coalition members a little concerned right now. Also could be good retail politics, Angus Taylor won't be able to try and throw mud at Govt if he is in front of a judge each day trying to explain the shitfuckery he has been involved in, as well as a few other of his colleagues... Should be entertaining to say the least. :)

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 8:19pm
Hiccups wrote:

oxrox showing he has no idea how racism works, and AndyM thinks people greet each other with "west side my bro”, just in case he didn't sound enough like a clueless boomer.

Apologies for not losing any sleep over people talking in another person`s accent in non derogatory terms Hiccup. I think I will be ok and everyone else will be ok. The world will not end.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 7:17am
happyppl wrote:

this new mob in parliament are saying nothing about the rio tinto cave demo job, like who in the govt knew? more to the point who's "brudda" was ok with it?
all local, state and fed beauro's were informed 12mths prior and 3mthys prior to kaboom!!
just a bunch of hypocrits on the gravy train dreaming of careers in the future for their syblings, mates as long as they are compliant with the bullshit.
WOKE ppl will be outraged at this post...eg racist!
racist= someone who prejudges someone on the colour of their skin, country of origin or accent.

Yep, totally skimmed over and shut down

bloody disgrace what happened, and a bloody disgrace who was in on it

yet outrage inc. were pretty quiet...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 7:58am

harry cooper, you're full of shit

now thats not a put down, its an observation, a bona fide legit one...

you see, you come on here making all sorts of accusations, about people... their politics... their motivations....
and they just are not true... hence, full of shit...

if you were an isolated case, Id ignore you, because such detachment from reality usually demands empathy... but you are not, you are part of a group, a group that is full of shit, so one must delve a little deeper...

you claim I'm -right wing', 'triggered', and 'angry' ... I assume you think when Im writing these posts that Im in some rowan dean, sky news, elevated state of exasperation...

well sorry, your 'trolling' cannot even muster an eye roll... because your stance, miserable assumptions, and MO, are all oh so dated, cliche and boring, I personally cannot believe people like you feel the need to go there... still...

but anyway, you do, you and your 'allies' do too... again again and again...

why? well, one can only assume you feel the some form of passion or cause... good for you... personally I abhor racism, and I call it out when I see it, I hate homophobia too ...and a heap of other stuff... but I just don't see it where you see it... perhaps understandably so - as it all has all becone rather subjective, ...unashamedly so... as the 'advocates' have adopted and embraced a quite extreme version of subjectivity and teachings to influence the theory, if you don't know what Im on about...

google it!

so anyway, I would argue your views on all things, racism, sexism, and a heap of supposed phobias... are somewhat 'radical' on the subjective spectrum of shared realities we all need to find to get along...

but I loathe to say radical... you see, because Im such a 'right wing' triggered angry man... that I have nothing but respect for radicals...

like, the dreadlocked little forest nymph who chains herself to trees. and the irritating but respected vegan activist who breaks into a pig farms to show the horrors of factory farming,

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 8:36am

harry cooper, you're full of shit

now thats not a put down, its an observation, a bona fide legit one...

you see, you come on here making all sorts of accusations... about people... their politics... their motivations....
and they just are not true... hence, you -full of shit

if you were an isolated case, Id ignore you, because such detachment from reality usually demands empathy... but you are not, you are part of a group, a group that is full of shit, so one must delve a little deeper...

you claim I'm; 'right wing', 'triggered', and 'angry' ... I assume you must think when Im writing these posts, that Im in some rowan dean, sky news, elevated state of exasperation...

well sorry to disappoint, your 'trolling' cannot even muster an eye roll...

because your stance, miserable assumptions, and MO, are all oh so dated, cliche and boring, I personally cannot believe people like you feel the need to go there...

still...

but anyway, you do, you, and your 'allies' do too... again again and again...

why? well, one can only assume you feel the some form of passion or cause... good for you... personally I abhor racism, and I call it out when I see it, I hate homophobia too ...and a heap of other stuff... but I just don't see it where you see it... perhaps understandably so...

as it all has all becone rather subjective ...unashamedly so... as the 'advocates' have adopted and embraced a quite extreme version of subjectivity and teachings to influence the theories, if you don't know what Im on about...

google it!

so anyway, I would argue your views on all things to do with racism, sexism, and a heap of supposed phobias... are somewhat 'radical', on the subjective spectrum of shared realities we all need to find to get along...

but I loathe to say radical...

you see, because, Im such a 'right wing' 'triggered' 'angry' man... that I have nothing but respect for radicals...

like, the dreadlocked little forest nymph, who chains herself to trees for months. the irritating (but respected) vegan activist, who breaks into a pig farms to show the horrors of factory farming, and the nutty science student types, who refuse to fly anywhere or own a car, due to envoronmental concerns...

doing real tangible things about real tangible problems...

you on the other hand... have embraced the woke twitter mob, who do nothing but sow dischord about some terribly subjective stances on some highly contentious and debateble 'issues'

stances that have been adopted by the corporate world and HR departments across the world

hardly radical

hardly real...

stances where there is often a huge push back from much of the public, ...across the political specttum!!

so, coops, you're a outlier... not s radical!

an outlier who has embraced the 'activist' twitter mob who barely leave the comfort of their loungerooms to fulfill their oh so pressing agenda

an outlier spruiking the corporate world's new found moralism... a 'moralism' that totally debases any real discussions about equality...

so good onya champ! ....each to their own and all that... you fight your good totally subjective good fight....

you really don't bother me at all

so why the issue?

because the world thinks you're a wanker...

a legion of wankers, soiling up cyberspace with petty greviances, sowing dischord, and shutting down real conversations...

which is ok, or might be... if it wasn't doing so much damage to the wider causes of the once 'left' in the process...

so do what you gotta do little warrior...

but Im gonna call a spade a spade, and a wanker a wanker, when I see it

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 8:44am

sorry posted somehow before i finished

discard the first one

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 9:16am

“ have embraced the woke twitter mob, who do nothing but sow dischord about some terribly subjective stances on some highly contentious and debateble 'issues'”

And in doing so unwittingly support the commercially motivated outrage industry.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 9:32am

Harry cooper, are you familiar with the work of Thomas Sowell?

simsurf's picture
simsurf's picture
simsurf Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 9:35am
harrycoopr wrote:

You might want to learn the difference between equality and equity so we don't have to watch more shit dribbling out your mouth.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 9:49am

Arguing about "woke" FFS,

All I hear in the background is the extreme right puppeteers laughing.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 10:33am

I think it’s a discussion on the Left that needs to be had.
Meanwhile the last election thankfully moved away from the Right.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 12:21pm
harrycoopr wrote:

AndyM and Sypkan right wing???

Shit's getting crazy in here.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 12:34pm

Ain’t it.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 7:52pm

Are the any 'woke's' hiding under the bed????
Be afraid......

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 10:55am
AndyM wrote:

Totally agree but really cringe when Australians use the term "woke" as a negative I don't think (hopefully) our hearts are that dark.

Given its meaning has been politized and poisoned successfully by the extreme right and now generally by conservatives I don't think they need any help.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 11:42am
andy-mac wrote:

Be afraid......

an interesting analogy... but...

being in education, you might be familiar with the arguments presented above around...

'equality of opportunity' and 'equality of outcome'

the 'woke' crew have wholeheartedly (rather desperately) embraced the latter

...even if 3/4 of em aren't even aware of it...

I don't ideologically have issue with either position, I actually think both are noble causes. however, i do think the latter is a ridiculous endeavour to take under current circumstances...

tearing and burning the whole joint down to clear the way for some minority led ip influenced flat land utopia is idealistic to say the least

this is without even considering people like stuff, they like freedom, and the freedom of thought of our current system is what drives innovation

there's a reason the clever and super hard working chinese (still) need to steal all our innovations and associated property rights...

reds under beds... the world has moved on significantly

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 11:47am
I focus wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Totally agree but really cringe when Australians use the term "woke" as a negative I don't think (hopefully) our hearts are that dark.

Given its meaning has been politized and poisoned successfully by the extreme right and now generally by conservatives I don't think they need any help.

totally agree and totally cringe too

but it is a powerful form of abbreviation to cut through the crap

the 'woke' poisoned their own well

conservatives and the like just capitalised on it

pretty sure one can be awake to the problems of inequality without being woke

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:02pm

there's a certain irony to the woke mob

where its all about the 'identifying' of 'allies' and a public posturing of one's position

largely social media driven in the modern context, unfortunately...

the irony is, as mr cooper readily displays so well, that the zealoty idealogues largely isolate and publicly ostracise large swathes of potential 'allies' with their public posturing driven by intolerance and miserable assumptions...

miserable assumptions that are almost always indefinitely totally wrong

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:11pm

It is a stupid pejorative useful only in identifying its user as a triggered butt sore consumer of right wing pap.
As the latest Newspoll shows, as did the recent election result, the country has taken a progressive turn, so the anti woke bleating hasn't had the impact its proponents anticipated.
Albanese 59% Dutton 25% PPM.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:05pm
sypkan wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Be afraid......

an interesting analogy... but...

being in education, you might be familiar with the arguments presented above around...

'equality of opportunity' and 'equality of outcome'

the 'woke' crew have wholeheartedly (rather desperately) embraced the latter

...even if 3/4 of em aren't even aware of it...

I don't ideologically have issue with either position, I actually think both are noble causes. however, i do think the latter is a ridiculous endeavour to take under current circumstances...

tearing and burning the whole joint down to clear the way for some minority led ip influenced flat land utopia is idealistic to say the least

this is without even considering people like stuff, they like freedom, and the freedom of thought of our current system is what drives innovation

there's a reason the clever and super hard working chinese (still) need to steal all our innovations and associated property rights...

reds under beds... the world has moved on significantly

There will never be equality in outcomes and nor should there be, as you mentioned hard work etc should pay off. My point is this whole argument debate re woke is really just a distraction in my view. Yep I work in education and some of the absolute nonsense that the media go on about what goes on in state system is crazy, encouraging transgender, blah blah etc. Kids going through that kind of stuff have enough mental health challenges going on without people who have no clue adding their 2 cents worth, generally Murdoch brewed crap with the wing nuts from the right leaning party's . I don't care if someone wants to identify as he she or it.
Anyway not disagreeing with you, just think whole woke things gets people fired up, but it really only effects small part of society... Hope that makes sense....
Basically the Right (hate these terms) create issue (wokeism) to have a issue to make headlines with to attack opposition. Referring to cold war analogy, there were never any Reds under the beds but kept propaganda machine going....

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:17pm
adam12 wrote:

It is a stupid pejorative useful only in identifying its user as a triggered butt sore consumer of right wing pap.
As the latest Newspoll shows, as did the recent election result, the country has taken a progressive turn, so the anti woke bleating hasn't had the impact its proponents anticipated.

How the hell did dutton get 25% ? Just shows how many RWNJs there are living amongst us .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:29pm
adam12 wrote:

I largely agree with you, however it's worth keeping in mind that 'woke' became a pejorative for the same reason Hilary Clinton's statement about "basket of deplorables" was ridiculed.

It sets the user up as superior in intellect or social rank.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:37pm

@Adam12
I vote left of centre, loathe the LNP and would like to see constitutional change for an Indigenous voice to parliament.
At the same time I'm not keen on pompous self-aggrandisment and illiberalism.
So where, in your opinion, does this leave me?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:43pm

Might be worthwhile re-visiting the Harpers Letter.

"Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts.
But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity. As we applaud the first development, we also raise our voices against the second."

Was this letter merely the work of "triggered butt sore consumer[s] of right wing pap"?

Considering the letter was signed by Noam Chomsky, Gloria Steinem, Salman Rushdie, Cornel West and Wynton Marsalis et al., I doubt it.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:53pm

Find another word. That one has been polluted.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 12:54pm
AndyM wrote:

"Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts.
But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity. As we applaud the first development, we also raise our voices against the second."

Was this letter merely the work of "triggered butt sore consumer[s] of right wing pap"?

Considering the letter was signed by Noam Chomsky, Gloria Steinem, Salman Rushdie, Cornel West and Wynton Marsalis et al., I doubt it.

Harper's letter is spot one. Wish I could write that concisely.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:05pm

Yet in the face of that letter, you still support "wokeness"?

Because clearly, that's what they're condemning.

And it's also clear that you don't, by any stretch, have to be a consumer of right-wing dribble to have concerns about the woke thing.

"The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted.
While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty."

https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice-and-open-debate/

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:11pm

Please point to where I have ever 'supported' wokeness in this forum.
The majority of my input in this forum has been regarding the corruption of the previous govt. Think last 2 posts were first times I have written woke.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:21pm

@Adam12
I vote left of centre, loathe the LNP and would like to see constitutional change for an Indigenous voice to parliament.
At the same time I'm not keen on pompous self-aggrandisment and illiberalism.
So where, in your opinion, does this leave me?

Andy, I struggle with these issues too. A recent example, the rainbow lights at the Shrine issue. I heard of it through the mainstream news, my immediate reaction was no, it's the Shrine, leave the rainbow politics out of it, then later that day I was reminded of Alan Turing, the father of modern computing, the guy that cracked the German codes at Bletchley Park in WW2. He saved millions of lives but after the war was shunned and prosecuted for being homosexual, had to choose castration over jail, and died from either accidental or intentional consumption of cyanide. He was 41. Made me think of all the gay men and women who served and some who died fighting for Australia which had similar laws. That night I was like "Fuck it, light the thing up". So I too find it hard to center my feelings on a lot of these issues. Just hate that fucken word "woke" because it's so weaponized.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:22pm

@Andy Mac

Fair enough, that was aimed at adam12.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:27pm

adam12 I don't like the word either but it exists as a pejorative for a reason.
The metaphorical pendulum has swung quite a way, now it's being pushed back.
It'll be an ongoing discussion of course.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:40pm
AndyM wrote:

a much needed correction, that only came about by pushback from within, from letters like this and comments from people like obama no less

thankfully the whole 'cancel culture', 'no platform' bullshit has largely been put on hold...

'woke' as a concept is pretty much done, with only people like rowan dean and the clowns on 'outsiders' still vehemently making hay...

(with only those still in denial it was/is ever an issue providing the sunshine)

it was a huuuuge decades long phenomenom, that gained way too much momentum well well before trump put a blow torch to it...

unfortunately - like all things trumpy -'the resistance' grossly overreacted and bunkered down... instead of acceptimg a common sense warning shot over the bow...

the damage has been massive... to the 'progressive' left especially, but also to public debate generally. such a long drawn out battle doesn't just fall off the radar overnight

the pejorative value has a lot of legs to run... especially as its misuse has now morphed well well beyond its original use... where we now see it referring to climate change, and even popping up in covid debates...

buckle up butt hurts... it ain't going anywhere...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:53pm
AndyM wrote:

@Andy Mac

Fair enough, that was aimed at adam12.

Cheers...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:59pm

"'woke' as a concept is pretty much done"

I pretty much disagree.
It's permeated corporate culture to a large degree, at least on a superficial level.

And it's a key driver of clicks, not only in the Twittersphere but also in mainstream news, particularly online.
Politicians, businesspeople and entrepreneurs will continue to manipulate it.
I mean, has anyone had a look at Disney online streaming recently??

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 4:43pm

Personally when I see someone describe something or someone as woke I think to myself what a wanker. It’s an lazy way of saying I disagree but don’t have the words nor intelligence to debate you

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 4:49pm
adam12 wrote:

God that's a stretch and overthinking things, more like LNP had been in power for nine years and most people just got to the point of wanting a change for the sake of change, if Labor had been in for 9 years and we had gone through all recent things Covid, Natural disasters, threat of inflation etc, no doubt chances of a change of government would be extremely high, nothing to do with Wokeness.

I mean seriously when LNP gets voted in again,(after the coming recession) it doesn't mean everyone is suddenly rallying against wokeness and become more conservative.