Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:25am

I've got a beef vindaloo story that even sensai ringmaster couldn't contain

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:35am

How long before China starts buying all the Australian businesses in financial distress as a result of the illegal CCP trade war on Australia ?

Seafood , dairy , wine , wheat etc etc ......China’s food insecurity solved at bargain basement prices.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 9:59am

While recognizing that our federal government(s) are into short term financial gain for long term pain and have no shortage of incompetent, corrupt dregs within their ranks.......surely they would put laws into place to prevent that happening?

Surely???

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 10:29am

Maybe depends on the carrot and the stick behind the scenes.
Reckon anything's possible with this mob.

"Our hands are tied, it's all legal" etc etc as they gear up for million dollar "consultant" jobs in life post-politics.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 2:11pm

ALP and LNP in lockstep oversight of rampant corruption :

“Fourteen years ago, the Australian Government agreed to implement the Tranche 2 global anti-money laundering (AML) rules for lawyers, accountants and real estate agents in a bid to prevent laundering of illicit funds, especially into Australian property.

However, these reforms have been continually postponed amid fierce lobbying by shadowy vested interests negatively impacted by the reforms. This has led to Australia having the weakest AML rules in the world pertaining to lawyers, accountants and real estate agents:

Australia’s intransigence has seen a conga-line of international authorities – including the Paris-based Financial Action Taskforce (FATF) and Transparency International – deride Australia’s failure to act, which has continually fallen on deaf ears within the federal government.

Accordingly, Australia cemented itself as a money laundering safe haven, with property the go to choice for illicit foreign funds.

Once again the Coalition and Labor proved they are owned by the powerful property, accountancy and legal industries by voting down an amendment to the Money laundering bill asking the minister to introduce by 1 July 1 2021 a bill to tackle the risk of money laundering and terrorism financing by professions including lawyers, accountants and real estate agents:

The Government and Labor have again wasted an opportunity to include real estate agents, accountants and lawyers subject to mandatory reporting of money laundering.

“We have been waiting 14 years for this badly needed reform,” Greens Economic Justice spokesperson Senator Nick McKim said.

“Dirty money is flooding Australia’s property market, helping to push house prices even higher, and making owning a home even more difficult for too many Australians.”

“The Greens’ amendment would have forced the Government to introduce legislation to include real estate agents, accountants and lawyers in the mandatory reporting scheme.”

“Such measures have been introduced in all but six countries around the world and have been promised since 2006.”

“Labor promised this reform before the last election, but they have squibbed it at the first hurdle.”

“This is a huge wasted opportunity to get serious about tackling dirty money in Australia.”

“The Greens’ amendment did not specify how real estate agents, accountants and lawyers should be regulated, just that the government should introduce legislation that would do so.”

“This was so as to give the government scope to design laws to avoid any unintended consequences including jeopardising client legal privilege.”

Nathan Lynch, a financial crime intelligence expert at Thomson Reuters, has slammed Australia’s intransigence:

“It’s a damning indictment on Australian democracy when these law changes have had bipartisan political support — but no action — for 14 years. To this day, in Australia a young family buying a house at auction could be bidding, unknowingly, against a buyer’s agent for a company controlled by a corrupt overseas politician or a drug syndicate. These people are much less price sensitive than an Aussie family. Yet the accountants, lawyers and real estate agents who structured those deals are able to turn a blind eye,” Lynch said…

[Lynch] says that without the second tranche, Australia “looks really bad on the international stage” because the real estate market has become a “magnet for dirty money to come into Australia”.

This is corruption pure and simple. There’s no other way to put it.“

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 2:26pm

Those damn Greenies, how dare they pursue a reduction in corruption, increased transparency, reduce inequality, and care for the environment...

As my step-dad would say "Bloody-long-haired-dope-smoking-dole-bludging-hippies!" as he toddles off muttering under his breath that Tony Abbott was the best PM we ever had.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 3:02pm

Agree.

If they weren’t a bunch of overzealous uber woke clowns they’d have my vote.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 3:17pm

They’re far from ideal, but will always get my vote.
A) theyre the lesser of the evils
B) used or not, the votes still send a message of what the people want

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 5:00pm

The whole gender/sexuality/race/identity wars ARE the distraction while the looting and corruption go on.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 5:12pm

Yep.

Race war to hide the class war.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 5:52pm

Speaking of gender/sexuality/race/identity wars, this video is gold, if you have watched lots of Vice videos you will get it, if you havent it will probably go over you head.

MidWestMonger's picture
MidWestMonger's picture
MidWestMonger Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 10:32am

Another NW job going for the next holiday season, if anyones keen
https://www.seek.com.au/job/51123058?type=standout#searchRequestToken=f3...

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 1:57pm

So you have to pay for your own accomodation in Exy on your 4 days off unless you already reside in town....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 1:59pm

I remember when the fella ( Richard ? ) first started that up as Reef Retreat . Friendly, bald fella who used to surf Dunes all the time. Nice bloke but we thought it was a bit of a nuts idea as there was a few hundred kms of similar coastline where you could do exactly the same thing for free instead of paying hundreds of dollars for it.

It’s a gig for a backpacker who’ll basically work for free. Lots of people are into it but I always find it a bit off putting when you overhear tour guides in Oz and they’ve got a pommy accent or some such

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 1:59pm

Echo.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:04pm

"The whole gender/sexuality/race/identity wars ARE the distraction while the looting and corruption go on."

easily the biggest 'issue' of our time...

the big question is... is it just convenient or constructed?

....a bit from column a and b for me...

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:02pm

Around $800/person/night Blowin...

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:05pm

$800/person/night to stay in a tent. Holy shitballs!

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:06pm

Agree Blowin, I do as well

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:11pm

6 Month Advance Purchase

Minimum 3 night stay. Per Person, Per Night, AUD & includes GST

Low Season (March, October & November)

Twin or double share: $749
Single occupancy: $1139
Extra person in swag bedding^: $339
Shoulder Season (May, June, August & September)

Twin or double share: $829
Single occupancy: $1249
Extra person in swag bedding^: $349
High Season (April & July)

Twin or double share: $849
Single occupancy: $1289
Extra person in swag bedding^: $369

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:13pm

OMG $300+ for a swag!!!

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:13pm

You could always camp illegally on your 4 days off in your van just down the road but SalSalis wouldn't know anything about that would they..

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:16pm

Its a very very nice swag Fitzroy, a very important influencer or celebrity slept in it haha

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:44pm

$800 per night !

Sweet Jesus !

I remember camping down the coast for a lot of the year that he started it in particular. One stint was almost 2 moths if I recall correctly and I very much doubt we’d have spent $800 the whole time . Amazing, amazing experience.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:56pm

For a twin share, per person. Approx $1200/night solo Blowin

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 2:57pm

Agree mate, beautiful beautiful area, my beloved caravan park no more

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 3:02pm

Lighthouse or Yardie ? I heard Twiggy bought Lighthouse the cnt.

Had some good times there. Till Cyclone Vance took a steaming dump in the middle of the party.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 4:07pm

The Lighthouse, will be a 5 star "eco resort".

Pre Vance was the go, mid to late 80's, used to drive down from the Burrup on my few days off and either go RB or there, RB was almost quicker since you had to drive to Minilya anyway

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 5:11pm

The further gentrification of of what was once a wild coast.
$300 a night for a swag is ridiculous. Then you make your staff leave on their days off. No other words for it but arseholes. Giant smelly arsholes.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 5:34pm

Do you concur sea slug, yes I concur soggydog

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 1:02pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 2:04pm

Great article, stunner coming from ABC...

Are we witnessing the left/right divide coalescing given increasingly overt outside threats?

Plan B is trade with other nations and strengthen ties with them + lots of build it yourself.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 2:17pm

But does China have a Plan B with 1.4 billion mouths to feed.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 2:26pm

...and it takes approx 300 million workers employed in agriculture just to feed them all.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 2:41pm

I fucking hate China and everything it stands for. Global bullies (only cause there's 1.4 billion of em and that creates a large economy and therefore some sort of clout) and the biggest environmental vandals on the planet.

I'd always vote plan B and suffer the short term pain for long term gain. Piss the fuckers off and make some new (i.e: real) friends.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 2:58pm

"But does China have a Plan B with 1.4 billion mouths to feed."
I'm tipping yes. But does Gina have a plan to use her iron ore exports as a bargaining chip for the good of the country? I'd say no.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:24pm

Yes they do, Africa, Pacific Ocean and Islands (e.g. Nearly 300 Chinese vessels accounted for 99% of visible fishing just outside the Galápagos Islands archipelago’s waters between 13 July and 13 August this year, an astounding 73,000 hours of fishing during just one month as it pulled up thousands of tonnes of squid and fish, a new report based on data analysis has found), Sri Lanka Port, closer to home PNG, Indonesia, fuck the list goes on

And No, Gina and Twiggy bargaining chip for the country, are you kidding. What happened to all that medical supplies that Twiggy brought to Australia from his CCP mates under great fanfare, never to be heard of again. Substandard was it? Senior Chinese diplomat, Victorian Consul General Long Zhou, to "gatecrash" a Federal Government press conference.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:34pm

Apparently China does have a plan B to feed it's population.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:44pm

"...And No, Gina and Twiggy bargaining chip for the country, are you kidding. What happened to all that medical supplies that Twiggy brought to Australia from his CCP mates under great fanfare, never to be heard of again. Substandard was it? Senior Chinese diplomat, Victorian Consul General Long Zhou, to "gatecrash" a Federal Government press conference."

a shameful display from all involved...

the twigster thought he was gonna be the white knight riding in on his horse to save the day...

just didn't happen, for many reasons...

I don't mind the twigster, but it was an absolute pleasure to see him not save the day after that gratuitious display of showmanship, a dog act from a self important cunt looking after his own self interests

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:59pm

haha tubeshooter, I saw that one at the start of the pandemic, fukn gold!!

I wasn't game to post it... I thought too sensitive for the perpetually triggered...

glad someone went there

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:48pm

I've been waiting to do it for a while sypkan but thought fuk it todays the day. I don't mind the Twigster either but my opinion of him dramatically decreased after that charade

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:58pm

That effort of Twiggy’s was not for the benefit of Australia or Australians. It was a demonstration to his Chinese masters of where his loyalties lie.

Twigster is a cock. The ultimate wolf in sheep’s clothing. Every action he performs in public is to paint over the rusting decrepitude of his corrupted soul . Start at his Anti mining tax campaign and work your way back to his traitorous behaviour re China and everything in between.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 4:30pm

yep

and yep

interesting language in that abc article

loving a change in 'the narrative' from abc

...about bloody time!

academia next?

...not bloody likely!!

unfortunatly way too invested, ...and Im not even talking about the overseas student cash cow...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 4:00pm

Amazing how rapidly the narrative has started to shift with the MSM and China. STARTED to shift being key.

The question now being how long before the public denouncement of our even selling the iron ore to our emerging enemy at all . We’ve got precedent with Pig Iron Bob so surely when the tide truly turns it’ll be vociferous. The Chinese navy vessels which sailed uninvited into Sydney Harbour were built with Pilbara steel – that’s a hard reality to repudiate.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 4:08pm

Firken A+++ tube shooter, unfortunately not that far from the truth

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 15 Dec 2020 at 9:43am

Manchurian Dan just can’t help himself. Brace yourselves - Vic Local is going to unleash* an absolute tirade on Dan any second now that he’s proposing flooding the nation with selfish flog infected granny killing students !

Anti expert Dan ! Danald Trump !

* As fckn if.....

“The Victorian government is considering a proposal from the education sector to fly up to 23,000 international students into Victoria early next year and allow them to serve their quarantine period in student accommodation.

The plan, which could see students land in Melbourne as soon as January, has been put forward by a team of international education and accommodation groups aiming to bring back students without taking hotel quarantine places from returning Australians.

Victoria’s lack of action on international students has infuriated the sector, with International Education Association of Australia chief executive Phil Honeywood accusing the Andrews government of neglecting the state’s most valuable industry, worth $13.7 billion…

One of the organisations behind the plan presented to the Victorian government is Scape, the country’s largest student accommodation provider.

The company’s executive chair, Craig Carracher, said under the proposal, 23,000 international students would arrive between January and the university census date of April 30 on chartered flights paid for by accommodation companies.

He said student buildings were purpose-built facilities with one entry point and individual rooms that housed a “compliant” cohort of international students.”

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 15 Dec 2020 at 10:16am

"The Victorian government is considering a proposal from the education sector"
FFS blowin, you really aren't that bright.
How the fuck do you get from government considering an industry proposal to "Manchurian Dan (is) proposing flooding the nation with selfish flog infected granny killing students !"?
Dan isn't proposing anything you silly little man.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 15 Dec 2020 at 10:19am

You think Manchurian Dan isn’t seriously contemplating how he can pull it off ?

Lol.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 15 Dec 2020 at 10:36am

No blowin, I think Dan Andrews was asked about the eduction industry's proposal, and he responded in a sensible way, given the proposal had just been announced. ie we will consider it.
And BTW quarantine is a federal issue. It's not his decision on who gets into the country. Not that facts like that matter to you.
The state governments need to do all the heavy lifting re housing people for 14 days so they do have to consider whether it's actually possible.
You're a very small man with small ideas blowin. I've never seen anyone so threatened by international people getting an education. It's Folsom Prison stuff. The singer can't handle people going places while he's stuck.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 15 Dec 2020 at 10:46am

So all the federal funding to the states to cover all the quarantine cost's should just be ignored by the states as it is a federal issue VL?

Moron.