Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 7 Dec 2020 at 7:56pm

Indo, as a conservative, are you pleased with the sum that the federal government is spending to imprison these people?

Bar political posturing and a desire to punish them into abandoning their right to legal recourse, there is no reason for those people to be imprisoned where they are.

Do you think these people should not be afforded access to the legal system?

Are they beneath our laws to you?

I mean, we all know they are to the conservatives in government, this is the sole reason asylum seekers were placed offshore, to deny access to our legal system. There's only one reason to do that and it's when what you want to do is illegal.

And just who are these 'crooked lawyers' exactly? What form do you allege their illegality has taken? Perhaps you should report this, lawyers can lose their licence for such things you know.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 7 Dec 2020 at 9:23pm

It costs some serious money to make sure the people who need it most get it.
The system is needs based, I really can’t understand the want for a first in best dressed system just to save money. These are peoples lives we are talking about. I’m glad we’ve got the more humane system. If they have to play the offshore card to make way for someone needier, then the end justifies the means.
Are they locked up or are they free to go home? This detail is critical.

When you’re ready to talk about the family in real danger you want to block, to make way for this family, let us know.
Or are you guys pro free for all?

I’ve personally brought legitimate refugees into Australia, some of the very best shit I’ve done on this planet.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 12:04am

JQ, there was another major reason why asylum seekers** were placed offshore. Journalists aren't exactly welcome if they are going to expose Government brutality.
Oh and BTW Indo, that orderly queue that you bang on about is just pure nonsense.
Edit ** who arrived by boat.
Pre-Covid there was no shortage of asylum seekers arriving by plane. They were much less likely to be granted refugee status, but they got to live in the community while their applications were being processed. Amazing how the RW muppets haven't cottoned onto the fact the people smuggling business model has changed. They've been so programmed to fear the boats and hate the occupants, they've haven't realised asylum seekers were arriving in large numbers through the front door.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 12:30am

Cheers Sheepdog. So the $200K went to pay their legal bills. In other words they ended up with nothing in the hand.

Courts often award costs, but not in line ball cases. This suggests that their case was without merit.

The government has been caught out not being a ‘model litigant’, in this case, the robodebt farce, plenty of others too. It suggests they see the courts as a tool for them to bludgeon their opponents. A bit like the big banks, or an ethically challenged mining company.

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 1:13am

The main reason for the offshore processing of asylum seekers was as a deterrent to refugees seeking to arrive in Australia illegally, thinking that if they just reached Australian soil they will be able to settle here. With the policy statement (paraphrasing) - if you try to illegally immigrate to Australia, via boat or plane, you will not, under any circumstances, be able to settle here.

@JQ
“Are they beneath our laws to you?

I mean, we all know they are to the conservatives in government, this is the sole reason asylum seekers were placed offshore, to deny access to our legal system.”

Forget access to our legal system, the policy is explicit, it is about preventing illegal access to Australia full stop. That is why we have immigration laws in the first place. To control who comes to our country, including refugees.

This policy, coupled with the border force returning commercial refugee boats back to their port of origin had a massive impact on the amount of boats bringing asylum seekers to Australia from Indonesia. Remember the horrors we witnessed at Christmas Island, amongst others. This “conservative” policy has all but stopped people drowning at sea on their way to Australia.

The time some of these people spend in detention is appallingly long for sure. I’m guessing this could be due to difficulty corroborating their story. Should we just believe everyone at face value? When it comes to the law, precedence is kinda important. Do it once then do it for everyone, at the expense of people who have properly applied for asylum and waited their turn.

And if you think this is a purely “conservative” tactic, the ALP has history on the issue. Have a read. As indo said the difference between the ALP and the LNP lies almost solely in temporary vs permanent visas.
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parlia...

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 6:06am

Seeking asylum is not illegal under Australian law Sickaz. Swing and a miss mate. Also there is no queue for asylum, another miss. If you believe this a policy based on compassion, well then wow, you really are gullible aren't you?

This policy hasn't stopped anyone suffering, it's just pushed it out of sight of our media. Lets not forget the extreme measures the coalition took to ensure their overseas prisons were out of sight of our media. They don't want our laws to apply, nor do they want Australians to know what happens there.

The ALP does plenty of conservative things, they get wedged all the time, this is a classic example.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 6:10am

Besides, we have no idea if 'the boats' actually stopped, all we know for sure is the coalition stopped the reporting on them, everything became an 'on-water matter'. Wonder if Scomo's got his fingerprints on that one, certainly sounds like a marketing policy doesn't it.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 7:49am

Ah the old chestnuts of the mythical orderly queue(s) snd processing centres (thanks to info) and the illegality of being a refugee or arriving here by boat not by plane (thanks to sickaz).

Any more furphies boys?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 8:17am

@shoredump @ Sickaz Good to see some people with some understanding on the issue.

@Vic & Guy
Can you show me once where I've banged on about an orderly queue or any queue???,

I HAVENT it doesn't work in that manner

THERE IS NO QUEUE!!!!.

Refugees to be processed are generally chosen in a lottery type system and offshore resettlement programs are run on quotas for regions and generally give priority to those most in need either in most danger or as mentioned in previous post people will never be able to return home like stateless refugees.

If it was done is some queue type manner assessment would have a back log of good knows how long 10 years 25 years 50 years? 100 years?

But i guess it depends on if we are talking about UNHCR resettlement or those that apply through Aussie embassies (believe can be done online too)

(front door) Those that arrive by plane are completely different, they arrive with a passport pass customs and quarantine, they generally enter Australia on a tourist visa or similar visa then apply for protection once here from memory they can only be grated a temporary protection visa, most are rejected because as they enter with a visa we know who they are and can assessed much easier*, most that apply for protection are also clearly just trying to buy extra time in Australia for vacation or to work illegally (in recent years those from Malaysia have been the biggest culprits) BTW. I love Malaysians so please dont call me racist for singling them out.

*Opposed to those that arrive by boat without passports or ID and are extremely hard to assess properly, basically only thing to go off is what they say, language spoken and accent. (this is why its said people smugglers advice refugees to destroy ID documents etc, only time they wouldn't is if it's going to help their case)

@JQ

Always amazes me how people like you who although i dont always agree with i think are pretty intelligent people but when this topic comes up clearly lack an understanding of the issue and just throw out the same old misinformation and cliches.

I have to go to work now, but will address your question and post latter today when get a chance.

Anyway, im cutting and pasting my previous post below again as has got lost on the previous page and covers many things.

The thing that people forget is Australia has a permanent resettlement quota, if people care like they say they do, obviously you would want every permanant resettlement spot used as wisely as possible, ideally to go to somebody that will never be able to return home like a highly persecuted group say Christian or Gay in Iran for example or a stateless refugee who doesn't have a home country and never will.

Last thing you want is wasting spots on people that can return home after a war has ended or political situation change, or famine end.

This has happened in the past hence why there is real cases of refugees who now have permanent residency in Australia but still go back to their home country for holidays or visit family (because its safe to do so because wars or political situations have changed)

Thats the point of temporary protection visa's, they are a different program that helps people until it's safe to return home, however after a certain period if it basically never becomes safe to go home they can often then get permanent resettlement (hence why these Visa are also called bridging visas)

If you started giving permanent resettlement to people who's situation has been found to be safe to return home like this case, just because they are good people or the community dig them, well where do you stop?

You could give everyone on temporary protection visa permanent resettlement, and it might make you feel good because you can put a face and name and no doubt you are giving them a better life developing country to developed one, but in reality you have just taken the chance of a new life away from someone that really is in need, someone that life' is in true danger or is stateless and will always be stateless.

Weird that i need to explain this.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 8:20am

Christ. 20 years of these bullshit legal opinions re asylum seekers by conservative key board warriors. 20 years of "they could just go home", without any consideration of refoulment. ( I bet a lot of the plonkers on this site haven't got a clue what that term means).
These fucking idiots have spent 20 fucking years banging on about an orderly queue, because it's just so fucking easy to put your name down at the Australian embassy in Kabul, Bagdad, or Syria and then just sit back and wait for an Australian bus to pick you up and whisk you to safety.
The stickiness of these asylum seeker myths is truly a testament to the power of the tabloid media's incessant drum beat of misinformation, and the stupidity of the tabloid media consumers.
Why listen to a human rights lawyer or migration expert when you can get all your info from Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 8:51am

After years of working amongst foul mouthed surfers , roughnecks , builders , brickies , fishermen and a general Australian population prone to blue language it’s one narrow minded little culture warrior from Victoria who finally makes me cringe when I hear / read excessive swearing.

It’s not even so much the language as the whole vibe of it all.

Every post he / she / zim writes makes me want to throw my device into an active volcano just to ensure the final end to it all.

The attitude makes every idea zey propagate seem like the most repugnant suggestion in the history of the world even if I tend to agree with the sentiment.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 9:15am

Haha!

Loved the "active volcano" bit.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 9:26am

Haha. So did I, IB.

If only it was true.

A Festivus miracle.

Keep at it, Vic.

One day...one day...

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 9:28am

The main issue with many refugees and over population in general is that the blame must go to the fathers who were too lazy, inept or selfish to fire off their 10CCs of jizz anywhere but inside the honeypot.
I cant say I feel great sympathy for these people. And theres a lot of them.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 9:32am

Well, Trumpy's nearly gone. Soon to be twittering to the clouds.

Bolt's headed for the coast (to hang with the likes of Info...Dandy markets side excursions, hand in hand, on the go?)

Alan Jones is ensconced in the Sky After Dark dungeon like the gimp he always was.

As some foreign sheila once said, "where there's hope, there's life."

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 9:40am

Everyone has periods where they are more aggressive and intense than other times. It’s quite fascinating to witness the varying emotional state of the regular contributors expressed in the cadence of their posts .

Some days crew are confident and happy other days they’re a bit depressed or insecure. For example : Facto has shown a bit of instability and lack of confidence the last few days . Posting pure bitterness after stumbling home pissy after midnight a couple of times. Sunday night ( ?) was a single word “ CUNT “ instead of a more light hearted bitchy insult. It came across more as a cry for help than a strong statement.

Point being that some posters are more likely to be in a more stable mood such as Indo or even Stu.

Then there’s our resident Fox Terrier. Despite the delusive claim to be “ friendly in the brine “ it’s just a constant stream of impotent rage and spittle flecked insults at anyone he thinks he can mislabel as the Official Opposition.

Everyone is free to write what , how and when they like and I know there’s plenty who would see my name on a post and instinctively clench their fists but the Vicco Fox Terrier does my head in with the unrelenting aggression, insults , attacks and generally abrasive tone to every single contribution.

Just saying .

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 9:50am

I will send around a wambulance for you blowin.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 10:33am

Fox Terrier. Haha! Classic. We owned one once upon a time. Farkn intense little thing. We had to give it away to a farm in the end, for everyone’s well being, including the dog’s....

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 10:56am

Years ago, we used to all post quite freely on here with opinions and thoughts on some great discussions. There would be some great piss takes, laughter and occasionally things would need to be reigned in if it got a little heated. It was just that, opinions and thoughts. Didn’t hurt anyone, gave an insight into differences and views you may not have previously considered.

Lately it has just become a toxic shit show. The amount of times I have written out a post to then just delete it, shut the lap top and walk away because I just couldn’t be fucked with the stupidity. There a now a couple of posters that have just ruined the whole culture of the place. The fact is, these posters are not just ordinary, run of the mill vanilla fuckwits, they are A-grade top shelf fuckwits. Swellnets self-appointed sheriffs.

I can only imagine what would have happened if old mate Wellymon had bought up the subject of bigfoot/sasquatch these days.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 11:11am

Ah the days of Big Wayne .... now he was always right

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 11:45am

JQ you have a habit of reading posts and being critical of elements that are not actually there.

I never said anything about laws for seeking asylum, I know people can APPLY for asylum. I was talking about POLICY for immigration/border control. Swing and miss mate.

Also about the policy not stopping anyone suffering, depends on your definition of suffering. It did stop people, many of them children, from drowning. The Christmas Island tragedy claimed 48 lives. The SIEV X disaster claimed 353 lives. Swing and a miss JQ.

The “prisons” you mention, as Shoredump says, allow their ‘inmates’ to leave voluntarily. Many instead choose to undertake LEGAL challenges with Australian lawyers and fair enough IMO. Disqualifies the prison claim though.

That’s three strikes JQ, all from a pretty short post. Your batting average sucks bro.

That’s not all though, your deluded claims about so called “queues”, that’s all you, no mention of queues in my post. Now that you mention it, I imagine there is a pile of applications for asylum that get assessed one by one, I didn’t mention anything about this though and besides I wouldn’t call it a queue.

Finally, do you think that if there were more of these terrible boat disasters, the government, whichever party it is/was wouldn’t publicise the event to justify their policies to critical and nuance averse members of the public like you. No chance, it would be front page.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 12:50pm

"After years of working amongst foul mouthed surfers , roughnecks , builders , brickies , fishermen and a general Australian population prone to blue language it’s one narrow minded little culture warrior from Victoria who finally makes me cringe when I hear / read excessive swearing.

It’s not even so much the language as the whole vibe of it all.

Every post he / she / zim writes makes me want to throw my device into an active volcano just to ensure the final end to it all.

The attitude makes every idea zey propagate seem like the most repugnant suggestion in the history of the world even if I tend to agree with the sentiment."

word !!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 1:03pm

"...Then there’s our resident Fox Terrier. Despite the delusive claim to be “ friendly in the brine “ it’s just a constant stream of impotent rage and spittle flecked insults at anyone he thinks he can mislabel as the Official Opposition.

Everyone is free to write what , how and when they like and I know there’s plenty who would see my name on a post and instinctively clench their fists but the Vicco Fox Terrier does my head in with the unrelenting aggression, insults , attacks and generally abrasive tone to every single contribution.

Just saying ."

hear bloody hear!!!

the tony abbott fox terrier attack dog!

...not too bright ...but bloody relentless...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 12:53pm

"...Lately it has just become a toxic shit show. The amount of times I have written out a post to then just delete it, shut the lap top and walk away because I just couldn’t be fucked with the stupidity. There a now a couple of posters that have just ruined the whole culture of the place. The fact is, these posters are not just ordinary, run of the mill vanilla fuckwits, they are A-grade top shelf fuckwits. Swellnets self-appointed sheriffs.

I can only imagine what would have happened if old mate Wellymon had bought up the subject of bigfoot/sasquatch these days."

toxic indeed...

the irony...

again...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 12:53pm

'love trumps hate'

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 12:54pm

bring back the wellymon!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 1:03pm

... and SpongeBob SquarePants

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 1:12pm

"toxic indeed...

the irony...

again..."

Sypkan you do the toxic abuse as good as anyone on here (if your prepared to be honest with yourself). You'd probably argue that you are simply returning serve, but seriously, that's the argument of a 10yr old. You never used to be so consistently aggressive. 2020? Just my observation...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 1:21pm

What planet are you loons on? Oh that's right, Planet Swolenut!

Where Trump-like love trumps reason itself!

Blowie, we all know you're our resident Ted Bullshit, but mate, cobber, bloke, there's got to be some sort of semblance to reality, at least. Just a smidge, even.

And that's taking into account your industrial-strength psychological projection!

Hahahahaha. Fark!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 1:22pm

And did ol' Tones Abbott get a mention?!

Ah, the salad daze of Swellnet!

Here ya go, Fitzy...knock yourself out.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertainment/abbott-18c-attack-freedom-...

As another sheila once said, "stop writing crap!"

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 3:47pm

Sponge Bob Square Pants is an absolutely epic cartoon. I’m totally serious, the lessons in it for children are excellent and it is very funny. Up there with The Simpsons and Ren and Stimpy as far as I’m concerned.

Here is a bit of solid Sponge Bob philosophy... Attitude of gratitude.

Being compared to Sponge Bob is a high order compliment.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 3:56pm

Gotta love Spongebob's pet sea snail - whatever his name is!!!

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 4:05pm

Nice one Gary

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 4:16pm

every Krabby Patty ever cooked

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 4:27pm

Guysmily, you need to improve your comprehension before you start criticising. Re your comment “and the illegality of being a refugee or arriving here by boat not by plane (thanks to sickaz).”

This was in the post you criticised.
With the policy statement (paraphrasing) - if you try to illegally immigrate to Australia, via boat or plane, you will not, under any circumstances, be able to settle here.

You guys (JQ, GuyS) have issues with assuming meanings in texts to suit your narrative that actually don’t exist, sometimes the contrary, as in this case. Criticise me all you want, but remember, if you criticise me and get it wrong, and the post you misread is there above yours in black and white, well... it doesn’t shine too well on you.

You might be engaging in a fantasy where you are crusading against some moral foe in a war of ethics, how fun... This is the real world though, so come correct FFS.

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 4:37pm

Velocity Johnno of that is some sponge gold... “we serve food here sir”. Be watching that one with the kids before bed for sure.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 4:53pm

“I wonder if blowin checks under the bed for reds in between his anti-China rants on Swellnet.
There's a touch of the Corporal Jones from Dad's Army about blowin.”

Yeah . Myself and those alarmists at NATO are the ones out of step with reality . No chance it could be that you’ve got it wrong ....could there ?

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/nato-boss-says-china-challenge-too-g...

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 5:01pm

Sickaz, don't you think it's a bit rich for you to criticise someone for reading things into posts that just aren't there. C'mon mate, that's the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it.

Remember your little whoopsie a few weeks ago with Ms Obama's post? I'd wager you do.

So you never said anything about laws for seeking asylum hey? Perhaps you can elaborate this part of your previous post for me then:

'The main reason for the offshore processing of asylum seekers was as a deterrent to refugees seeking to arrive in Australia illegally, thinking that if they just reached Australian soil they will be able to settle here. '

What you've described there, is NOT illegal. It is not illegal in Australia for someone to seek asylum by any means.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this one too:

'...if you try to illegally immigrate to Australia, via boat or plane, you will not, under any circumstances, be able to settle here.'

The topic at hand was the boat arrivals, the vast majority of which have been shown to be legitimate refugees. As previously discussed - it is not illegal to seek asylum in Australia. This is NOT illegal immigration.

Let's dig into this part too shall we:

'Also about the policy not stopping anyone suffering, depends on your definition of suffering. It did stop people, many of them children, from drowning. The Christmas Island tragedy claimed 48 lives. The SIEV X disaster claimed 353 lives. Swing and a miss JQ.'

Did it stop people? Which ones? Who? Where? When? You can prove none of these things. That is entirely supposition. More likely the problem was pushed elsewhere, these people may have starved or died from disease in Indonesia, or perhaps drowned in the Mediterranean. This policy did nothing to address the root cause, it just moved it out of our view. If you'd like to believe that just because you can't see something happening, then it isn't happening, I can't stop you, but that's not a very mature and nuanced view of things now is it.

These detention centres, which yes, I have paraphrased as prisons, were for a very long time locked. Or the choice available was to go back to their country, where the majority had legitimate, established reasons to fear for their safety. That's not really a choice is it? Even once they allowed the people to leave into the local community, that wasn't even close to safe, refugees were violently attacked many times.

Can you expand on this part of your post for me too please?

'Do it once then do it for everyone, at the expense of people who have properly applied for asylum and waited their turn.'

If they've 'waited their turn' does this not imply a queue? What alternative hierarchical structure do you suggest is in use?

And finally, do I think the government would publish information about any boat disasters? No, of course not. Have you been asleep since 2013 and completely missed the phrase 'on water matters'? The coalition imposed a code of secrecy over the whole thing. Apparently any information about the operation would've compromised it, seemingly the Aus Navy couldn't manage to track down questionably sea worthy Indonesian boats without total secrecy. Pretty odd don't you think? I'd have though that a modern 1st world navy would find it an absolute doddle.

Remember, they didn't 'stop the boats' the stopped the reporting on the boats. We have no idea if 'the boats' actually stopped or not.

I think you need to work on your perception of nuance mate. If you genuinely think I've misrepresented your post, please elaborate and I'm more than happy to nut it out, I can probably manage it without slagging you off either. Maybe.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 6:21pm

it's a fair observation rabbit68, and I will take the defence of a 10 year old... with conditions...

I think you will find there are only 3 people on here who I ever abuse, and putting my excuse of a ten year old to the side, it's only after lengthy extended attempts at engaging with these people 'in good faith' as they say...

and I mean intensely lengthy extended good faith attempts...

after a while I figure... fuck it, if that's all they've got...

then Im happy to swim at the bottom of the deep end of the murky pool...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 5:46pm

“I wonder if blowin checks under the bed for reds in between his anti-China rants on Swellnet.
There's a touch of the Corporal Jones from Dad's Army about blowin.”

seriously, how lame and outright totally irrelevant is this little diversion and attempt to quell debate in the modern context?

I excert an audible sigh every time I read it, and that's without even reading what smh and NATO have had to say

and aside from that, I find it most interesting if we think about the context this statement, that the people who this would have once referred to, back in the day, now next level loathe russia vehemently, and use it to steer debate away from a truly facist dictatorship that is emulating nazi war crimes of the past...

someone help me out here, is this about an ideological alignment of covenience? or the brains being seemingly washed of the woke folk?

it truly puzzles me to no end

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 5:27pm

Sypkan.Sometimes I wish I could wash my brain. Some of the things that get thought in there are downright filthy and disgusting.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 5:42pm

Sickballz, you really are a bit touched. And touchy.

"Crusading against some moral foe in a war of ethics", you say?

Is that like getting all bent out of hysterical homophobic shape when prostate inspection got a guernsey?

You're just a slightly more grammatically-correct* Seppo. And that, as we all know, is a low, low bar indeed.

Come correct! Hahahahahaha. As some other kook here said, "word!"

Hammerhead time!

Peace out.

Fagto.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 5:42pm

*AKA G-Nazi

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 11:59pm

OCD and creativity never mix well

unless you're a china apologist tech nerd maybe...

you like jack dorsey?

...you're like jack dorsey?

twitter and creativity should never be used in the same sentence though...

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 5:52pm

@Sypkan cheers for your considered reply. Fair enough...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 6:36pm

sickaz, how is it "illegal" to be a refuge seeking asylum in AU by arriving here by boat?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 6:42pm

Gotta love Spongebob's pet sea snail - whatever his name is!!

Art imitating life Gary?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 6:55pm

"Indo, as a conservative, are you pleased with the sum that the federal government is spending to imprison these people?"

Id assume they are on Xmas island(previously detention centre on mainland i think it was Melb) because they technically dont have a visa that allows them to live in the community while everything is going through the courts, noting their protection visas are no longer valid and would have been cancelled.

I dont know the legality of things, but if they were allowed to stay in Australia on another visa while legal proceedings are in the courts, they could probably find more loop holes to extended their stay. (possibly even reapply for protection visas that will be rejected but still buy more time etc) or it could affect or work in their favour for current case..who knows

The point is it's probably more complicated than just saying okay, while your case is being processed you can go back to living in the community.

But yeah off course it sucks that millions is wasted on providing accommodation and care for them when they should be back home in Sri Lanka, it's obviously money that could be spent elsewhere.

"Do you think these people should not be afforded access to the legal system?"

I don't have a problem with them having access to the legal system, but the courts should just throw out the cases straight away, but unfortunately thats not how the legal system works, as long as you have money you can drag things on for years as they have done.

Are they beneath our laws to you?

Pretty much same as above, the problem is the system is being completely rorted, gamed and totally abused, just like it has been for so many other cases.

It's not used for the purpose it's intended they know full well they dont have a case, it's about playing politics, its about buying time, its about trying to put pressure on the government hoping that all the misleading media stories make them cave and give a pardon.

Thats the real aim, because its really the only realistic option for the to stay here a pardon (i dont know of pardon is completely correct term, but you know what i mean, Dutton to interven and give a free pass, but there really is no reason to give a free pass)

I say misleading stories because 90% of the population have no idea of the complete picture or how these things work, they just see 3 years in detention and read how they lived in the community before, they dont understand that they have been there for three years because they keep filing cases and unless you followed things from the start the story rarely mentions the fact that they are no longer classed as refugees and its safe to return home, and were on a temporary protection visa and pretty much all the population lack the knowledge/understanding of Visas and process and that this is how temporary protection visas work, these visas are reassessed and once its found safe to go home the Visa id cancelled and they must return home.

BTW. As for your idea, how do we know the boats have stopped, well there could be the odd one, especially from unique routes like out of PNG etc but it's completely dried up in Indo we know that because there has been interviews with the refugees im sure there is monitoring by media like moles who would tip media off.

Reality is many refugees in Indo have tried before some a few times and all that happens is they get turned back, the people smugglers pocket most if not all the money and the refugees have basically flushed money down the toilet.

Refugees in Indonesia also congregate in certain areas/communities so obviously they would see the people depart and then a week or two latter they are back with an empty wallet, and they get told the story first hand, that its a waste of time and money to even try now, better to wait for change of government or change of policy etc

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 7:19pm

@Viclocal

It's pretty clear you are completely clueless on the issue, thinking others dont know what refoulement is only reinforces this, if the comment was aimed at me, sorry buddy but when it comes to this topic my knowledge on the issue is ten times that of yours.

Anyway Rudd trialled the system you believe should be allowed and it was a complete failure, the numbers of people that arrived by boat quickly rose peaking at over 20,000 in one year (or 25,000 in a financial year)

Rudd then did a 360 backflip on policy something rarely seen in politics and reopened Manus and Nauru and said any person that arrives by boat will never be resettled in Australia, the number of arrivals then dropped off very quickly.

He had no choice to make this move, nobody knows what the numbers could rise too, but the numbers were already stating to outstripped the number of resettlement places we have, and if used for boat arrivals would have completely destroyed our offshore resettlement programs, programs that give some of the worlds most needy refugees a chance of a new life, not to mention often refugees who dont have the resources to travel halfway around the world and pay people smugglers a few thousand dollars (that can be a years worth of average wages in some countries people flee from)

Not to mention there still would have been a backlog of refugees arriving by boat waiting to be allowed under the next years quota and what would we have done with that backlog?..house them on Manus and Nauru?

Obviously as time went on an numbers rose even more because there is no lack of supply, that backlog would have grown and grown and could have become years even in time decades worth of backlog, and no it's not realistic to keep raising the refugee intake quota.

No matter your views on the issue in this day and age it isn't realistic for Australia to abide by the refugee convention, its outdated about almost 70 years old from memory, even if the Greens magically got in they would have to have a similar system to Liberal and Labor.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 7:18pm

Indo,

There's really no reason for these people to be on Xmas island and not an onshore detention centre aside from political posturing. Such an enormous waste of taxpayers money for nothing. I mean, it's no sports rorts though.

I don't know the detailed legality of it either, but they certainly don't seem to pose any risk to the community - there's certainly no safety case to be made for them not to be in the community whilst their legal cases are pending.

'Pretty much same as above, the problem is the system is being completely rorted, gamed and totally abused, just like it has been for so many other cases.'

In your opinion. I'd wager the judge has a different one, or else it wouldn't be going on like it is. This is a particularly demeaning, ignorant and insensitive statement to make about a whole range of cases and people. If you were in their position you would be exploring absolutely every avenue available to you.

'Thats the real aim, because its really the only realistic option for the to stay here a pardon (i dont know of pardon is completely correct term, but you know what i mean, Dutton to interven and give a free pass, but there really is no reason to give a free pass)'

Well I think we all know that's not going to happen, it's not like they are au pairs for one of Duttons rich mates.

RE the boats stopping, fair enough, one would expect the policy to have an impact. How ever, one of the most notable aspects of the policy was the total secrecy immediately imposed, for the most flimsy of reasons. I can't see any government changing the policy though.