Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 6:45pm

Another slice of gold :

“ You see, it’s not the ALP’s problem, but the Sinophobic bigots and racists who don’t like the ALP social engineering plan. The ideologically possessed ALP ostrich is not for turning, even if it has buried its head on the railway track. The likes of Terri Butler, Katy Gallagher, Shaoquett Moselmane, Dan Andrews etc etc are deeply ideologically invested in a ‘progressive’ model of social reform where Sino-centricism was a virtue that allowed you to prove your anti-racism, tolerance, acceptance, global and economic credentials. It was a one-stop holy cow that allowed the renovation of labour principles. Hence, a ‘study tour’ in China was a right of passage where a vision of the Hawke-Keating Brave New World could be glimpsed. It was in effect compulsory for ALP politicians to visit the China economic Godhead and get the CCP to reciprocate to hug a koala.

The removal of the Chinese made sheep’s clothing has been a body blow to the ALP more than the LNP. This was their entire economic strategy and jewel in the progressive crown that they crowed about endlessly. Without it they are knackered.”

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 6:46pm

tbb salutes the crew for the insightful comments in this thread.
Investigative journalists threw in the towel, then crew stepped in to dig even deeper.
All debated & factchecked...Proud to say, these here Aussies actually give a damn.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 6:52pm

I was chatting to a good mate of mine last night who is a Major in the ADF. There is no mention of the dozen or so suicides in the last month as a result of the Brereton report. The impact of this is far reaching and is destroying lives, families and careers. You can be as downlooking on the 19 or so soldiers who committed these crimes but this is the tip of the iceberg, these are the ones that can be proven. This is systematic, cultural and has been going on since day dot.

The lives surrounding this that have been destroyed are just collateral damage.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 6:52pm

That's gold is it Blowin, geez, low standards. I can see it how it plays right to your wheelhouse though.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 6:55pm

It's like a word salad, freshly tossed just for you!

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 6:57pm

And then you've got One Nation running off to the NRA seeking $10 mil while Porlean flies around Queensland in a plane donated by a mate and not put on the public record.
Maybe we should be more like the Canadians and Kiwis who just don't tolerate this type of shit.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 7:01pm

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 7:02pm

From Blowin's first link:

"Ms Liu recorded her 1997-98 payment of 850,000 Chinese yuan — approximately $150,000 at the then current values — to Joel Fitzgibbon under the heading "money paid including expenses and gifts".

In a letter to a senior Bank of China executive, Ms Liu wrote that Joel Fitzgibbon would become a cabinet minister when federal Labor won power, adding: "The money we pay him is worthwhile."

So, there it is in black and white - the price of buying a federal politician.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 7:05pm

"but nobody in the military is making public comments defending the SAS"..

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/defence-prepares...

this guy is

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 7:20pm

While most Australians are expected to obey the law and to do the right thing, South Australian politicians may soon be bribed to be law abiding citizens with overly generous lifetime pensions if a committees recommendations are implemented

"The SA Parliament used to operate generous defined-benefits schemes, which provided most MPs with a lifetime pension upon leaving office."

"The committee noted that it had received evidence that defined-benefit pension schemes "have the potential to operate as an anti-corruption measure in respect of their beneficiaries".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-03/sa-mps-recommended-extra-cash-for...

Defined benefits too, pot of gold right there, all while the federals are skimping on a .5% increase in super. How good is (South) Straya

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 7:44pm

How is a politician like Fitzgibbon still in parliament 10 years after that sort of malfeasance is exposed?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 7:55pm

Sheepdog are you too good for this country? Are you ashamed to be Australian?
Because every time you post its to badmouth Australians and just be a derogatory wanker.
Seriously mate if you hate this place that much leave then, you wont be missed with the way you constantly denigrate Australian's and Australia.
It's like you're living in dare I say it.....China!
On yer bike pal

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 8:07pm

Playing devil's advocate here GF, there are some right bastards in Oz

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2020/12/03/warning-that-whistle...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 8:17pm

VL, I’m not sure that anyone in the military is making public statements, especially regarding the Brereton report, less the CDF and Chief of Army. That’s the way the military works. Not sure what point you’re making here?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 8:23pm

Here’s one that ties in with Fitzgibbon , every mention you’ve ever heard and not quite taken in about the “ United front “ ( Hi Gladys Liu ! ) and also about Stu’s opinion that the aggressive and public Chinese belligerence should be dealt with behind closed doors .

I’ll repost it tomorrow as well.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-deputy-national-...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 8:34pm

Fliplid, get with the GF program you unpatriotic bastard. You're the problem in this country, not politicians covering up the criminal actions of other politicians by persecuting decent and honourable people who blow the whistle. Never ever criticise the country.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 8:43pm

Blowin, I’m sure sure that Stu can speak for for himself. I do feel that my points echoed his, so I’ll clarify; it’s not about ONLY doing things behind closed doors. It’s about picking which issues you’re going to go high order on, and which ones you publicly let slide and deal with in a different way. Don’t confuse diplomacy for weakness.
I think it is fair to have a public and political debate about this too. Morrison is cynically exploiting elements of the current circumstances for domestic political (partisan) gain. The ALP, and other sections of Oz society are within their right to question the LNP approach. Characterising this in binary terms is unhelpful (and largely aligns with one of China’s aim)

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 8:47pm

VL hahaha you just stick to telling Craig how his forecast is way way wayyyy wrong even though all the evidence points to the contrary. jerk

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 9:02pm

Not criticising the country just some of the cnts running it

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 9:25pm

Don’t stress fliplid that’s just the big fellas attempt at being humorous

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 9:40pm

We built this city
We built this city on cafes, pubs and gyms and houses
Built this city
We built this city on cafes, pubs and gyms and houses

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/cafes-pubs-and-gyms-to-help-d...

"Australia's recovery from the pandemic recession will depend on NSW and Victorian households' willingness to eat out, head to the gym and build homes to pump billions of dollars back into the economy."

Manufacturing?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 9:54pm

Manufacturing?
VJ, if manufacturing in Vic has any future it's going to have to be seriously high tech. Melbourne also has a very large medical research industry, and the clean energy sector is also going really well.
All these industries require a vibrant university sector where cutting edge research is largely funded by OS students.
I feel the abandonment of the university sector by our federal government will have negative economic consequences for a generation. The human capital being lost is substantial.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 11:02pm

Vic local writes "39 people were murdered by our troops and that number is a bare minimum. These crimes were systemic and they were covered up for years.
Sorry mate the "they put their lives on the line" line simply doesn't wash.
I've spoken to a couple of military mates and they are fucking pissed at the soldiers responsible."

Yep you are spot on.... 39..... More like hundreds. Whenever a number is given re "colateral damage", or "OUR war crimes", multiply it by ten.
39 is the number the report feels it can PROVE. And seeing the sodier drinking out of that Prosthetic leg shows how depraved we became. I don't think it's sinking in how bad this is to many bogans. We have a tendancy to scream and point the finger at others. Take drugs in sport for example. How we spit and fart at chinese swimmers. But Warne takes a banned substance and we're "oh it was his mum!! His mum gave it to him - leave warney alone!!!" bahahahahahaha.
Same with war crimes. How we shook our fists at Russia downing that jet in a war zone. But we kill innocent people - footage even shown in a field, and some here are "it's only allegations". Fuck outa here. That poor dude in the field was capped at close range clutching his prayer beads.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 11:02pm

Goofyfoot writes " Sheepdog are you too good for this country? Are you ashamed to be Australian?
Because every time you post its to badmouth Australians and just be a derogatory wanker.
Seriously mate if you hate this place that much leave then, you wont be missed with the way you constantly denigrate Australian's and Australia.
It's like you're living in dare I say it.....China!
On yer bike pal"

Ummm after seeing what we did in Afghanistan YES I'M ASHAMED!!!!!! If you aren't ashamed, then you are no better than the taliban, than a terrorist. Go wrap a made in china Aussie flag around yourself and join one nation ya flog.

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 1:06am

Blowin that article you linked in your last post was an absolutely amazing piece of writing/speech making. Epic to think it was delivered in Mandarin.

The paragraphs about public candour and confrontational rhetoric were particularly relevant.

Also got a new book for the reading list in CS Lewis’ The Screwtape Letters, the premise of a demon toiling in the devils bureaucracy is enough for me to put it on top of the list.

And these quotes were bang on IMO.

Tony Dolan told me: “The great paradox of institutionalized evil is that it can be enormously powerful but also enormously fragile. Thus, it is compulsively aggressive and ultimately self-destructive. It senses its own moral absurdity. It knows it is a raft on a sea of ontological good.”

“What evil fears most is the publicly spoken truth.”

Great article.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 12:11am

No one should be justifying blatant war crimes. Name one country currently or in the past that has participated in any war that wouldn’t have committed blatant war crimes? Anyone that ever thought Australia was somehow holier than thou in this respect is kidding themselves. It’s not about what culture or country your fighting for, it’s called being human. We are flawed creatures at the best of times, put this flawed creation into a war zone and what do you expect? Tackle the Taliban like we would a gentleman’s game of cricket? Fark me. Context is everything. If these soldiers are found guilty & are prosecuted then one can only hope the top brass overseeing it all go down too...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 6:20am

Recommend reading the report, specifically the summary. It outlines what constitutes credible evidence. There’s about 8-10 pages, from page 26 of this pdf, that provide the detail which is missing from much of the reporting and most of the commentary.

https://afghanistaninquiry.defence.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-11/IG...

‘This is not a finding of guilt, nor a finding (to any standard) that the crime has in fact been committed. A finding that there is ‘credible information’ of a matter – for example, that a particular person has committed a particular war crime – is not a finding, on balance of probability let alone to a higher standard, that the person has committed that crime.’

This is not a ‘defence’ of the individual or the organisation. It’s a recommendation that people on both sides of the debate inform themselves about the details of the issue.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:04am

Australian Property Developers form guard of honour for returning international students in Darwin

Australia’s property developers have formed a guard of honour for returning international students in Darwin, after the first plane load touch down in the NT earlier this week.

A delegation led by Meriton CEO Harry Trigaboff met the students as they disembarked from the aircraft, showering them with gifts and brochures for developments in Sydney and Melbourne.

“It’s a miracle. I’d like to thank the tireless work of Phil Honeywood, Liz Allen and the consortium of vice-chancellors that have made this possible,” Trigaboff told the Strayan.

“The rent-seeking community really rallied together in our darkest hour. Hopefully, after they’ve cleared quarantine in 14 days we can charter them directly to Sydney and Melbourne and find a one-bedroom high rise apartment for them to purchase.”

The students were initially planned to sail into the Port of Darwin by chartered boat, but the quota of Chinese international students was too low for the CCP to approve according to a spokesman for the NT government.

More flights are planned in the coming months, with UNSW and University of Melbourne both announcing plans to build a designated runway for students on campus

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:05am

Alan Joyce says Baggage Handler being added to Skilled Occupation List “unrelated” after Qantas fires 2000 staff

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce has claimed that a move by the federal government to add the occupation of baggage handler to the skilled occupation list, is unrelated to Qantas’ decision to outsource it’s baggage handling services and let 2000 staff go.

The move comes as Qantas’ haemorrhages cash and looks for ways to move it’s responsibilities elsewhere.

“Those claims are rubbish in the sense that this was a recent decision. The reality is we’ve been trying to kill this airline and it’s union off for years, that’s exactly why I was brought in,” Joyce told the Strayan.

Joyce was candid about the decision and said the move now freed up more time for him to “focus on vacuous woke bullshit and continued white-anting of the company.”

“There’s now a massive skills shortage at our airline and we need to fill that as soon as possible. Removing luggage from aircraft hold to conveyor belt is a highly skilled profession that Australians are unable to perform, especially for the price point we want.”

It is understood that the tender for the contract is yet to be decided, but bids from companies in China and India are being considered.

The ACTU and the TWU refused to comment on the matter.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:06am

APRA, RBA approve plan to allow organ sales for first home buyer deposits

APRA and the RBA have given their seal of approval to a plan, which would allow Australian First Home Buyers the ability to sell an organ as a deposit on their first property.

Following on from suggestions that FHB’s be allowed to raid their superannuation, APRA and the RBA have given a nod to a plan by Treasurer Josh Frydenberg which could see kidneys, lungs and livers be donated in order to realise the Australian dream.

The Foreign Investment Review Board has also approved the move, saying it had a huge backlog of applications from China that were previously unable to be approved.

“The Australian market has been hit hard by a sudden loss of foreign buyers from China. The number of buyers that expressed an interest in payment with organs was massive at the time, but we couldn’t approve this until recently for ethical reasons,” a spokesman for the FIRB told the Strayan.

“I guess we should’ve realised that when the Treasurer said he was scrapping responsible lending laws we should have caught on that ethics were out the window for good.”

The ALP have stated that they will take a strong look at the proposal, but ultimately supported the move and that “objections from organisations like Falun Gong and the Uyghur community were completely unsubstantiated” a spokesman said.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:06am

Last three posts from the excellent Macrobusiness site.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:15am

Is there a new Macrobusiness site?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:38am

Hahahaha. "From the EXCELLENT MicroBollocks site".

Got any Amway while you're there, Blowie?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:55am

I think you mean Macro-Bollocks site Facto.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 11:02am

Lots of the usual ad hom attacks against Macro Business but no addressing of the issues.
Cause that'd be racist, right?

"Using data from the censuses in 2006, 2011, and 2016, we find that an immigrant inflow of 1% of a postcode's population raises housing prices by around 0.9% per year.

As a result, Australian housing prices would have been around 1.1% lower per annum had there been no immigration."

https://research.monash.edu/en/publications/the-impact-of-immigration-on...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 12:27pm

"ad hom attacks against Macro Business"
Now, I'm a bit of a stickler about bad grammar, especially when I'm the guilty person, but I just won't cop bad use of Latin.
ad hominem attacks can't be against an organisation or publication. They can only be against a person.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 12:43pm

Maybe he meant the person that penned the piece?

But yes, you are write Vic.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 12:45pm

Well played Zen.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 12:49pm

And to you good sir.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 1:38pm

I wonder if selling a testicle would get one into Sydney's inner west?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 1:44pm

VL manufacturing, yep it has to be very high tech, as full automation as possible, renewable powered etc. Expensive to set up, but set up properly and once is enough... (The Australian way of manufacture has been in the past to get many things off one basic core, eg GMH in the 1930s got 90+ variants off a single basic chassis. The skill and customisation on the assembly floor, shared use of parts was something that the big American manufacturers couldn't see how to do here, and their model didn't really work here either. We have to be able to develop inexpensively, and be flexible in how we produce.)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 2:58pm

POETS day......yewwww

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 3:19pm

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 3:48pm

Just stop it Vic.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 3:49pm

Macrobusiness critics.....

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 4:13pm

Blowin love your honesty in posting a photo of yourself ...not sure about the wife beater but great shot none the less.!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 4:23pm

That’s a Vicco tan Simba.

North coast idiocy comes in a darker shade.

Rest assured though mate , if I looked that good you’d have seen my face by now.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 4:29pm

You're not suggesting it's VL are you? Looks more like I thought facto would look.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Dec 2020 at 5:16pm

Facto would have a neck tan from the steamer.

That’d be the only discernible difference.

Even the parts of Victorians exposed to the sun look like the head of a poorly drawn beer.