Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 7:27pm

BTW JQ. out of curiosity.

Do you actually see a real/proper reason why they should be allowed to stay in Australia? when it's been found that it's safe to return home.

by real/proper reason i mean something of real substance a true reason not just they are good people or no threat to community etc.

If allowed why couldn't any other people on temporary protection visas make the same case?

Where would it end?

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 7:38pm

No, given their visa status it seems pretty clear to me, their child however not so much.

But yeah, a temporary protection visa is just that - temporary.

Perhaps there should be some avenue via significant community support though? It certainly seems as though many in their community liked them and would like to see them back.

In their position I would be doing exactly the same thing, fighting with every option available to me.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 7:54pm

The argument being they dont know Sri lanka, it's a pretty weak argument both parents are Sri Lankan, have family in Sri Lanka, id be surprised if the parents didn't speak Sri Lankan at home, hence kids most likely too, but even if they dont kids at that age pick up languages super quick.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 8:02pm

Rabbits68
“Fox Terrier. Haha! Classic. We owned one once upon a time. Farkn intense little thing. We had to give it away to a farm in the end, for everyone’s well being, including the dog’s....”

Isnt it funny how so many dogs end up on “farms”
My mum gave away a red heeler I had in primary school to our family friend on a “farm” after he kept getting out and chasing the postie. The thing is we didn’t have a family friend with a farm. Might have to ask her the truth one of these days

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 8:18pm

“In their position I would be doing exactly the same thing, fighting with every option available to me”

Of course, so would I !!
So would lots of people, Australia is in such an enviable position, that maybe up to 1% of the world would want to try

80 million!

I genuinely wish I could help everyone, I have no doubts that the family in question are beautiful people

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020 at 9:00pm

On the Meyers-Briggs scale info would have to be JJJJ

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 12:03am

JQ your batting got worse.

Michelle Obama’s post was inflammatory and divisive, explain to me how it wasn’t. Hint, empathise with someone who voted Trump, if you are capable, then it will be obvious. You went back weeks to find something to prove a point and still failed.

When you said you were ‘paraphrasing’ calling detention centres prisons. First post I pointed out your incorrect use of the word prison, this time I must inform you of your incorrect use of the word paraphrasing. Come on JQ, if your gonna level semantic criticisms then at least use your words properly. I am not defending the terrible conditions in these detention centres, which are shameful, obviously.

The reason I bothered to respond to your criticism of me in the first place was because you assumed things in my post that weren’t there. You made multiple errors about what I said and you continue to. I don’t have the energy to go over all the new mistakes.

Same as I said to Guy, if you want to criticise me get it right. In the last couple of days at least, you have tried and failed twice, the second time in very long winded fashion that must have taken forever to write, and it’s another abject failure full of assumptions that are wrong.

You haven’t come close to hitting the ball yet JQ, you’re quick to criticise me, but you suck at it. Stick to what you are good at, not sure what that is, but you are not hitting any home runs here. Try Tee ball.

Keep trying to rip me, if it makes your glands squirt. Responding to your criticisms is tiresome and boring. Like arguing with a stubborn child, it’s a waste of time. Catchya

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 12:49am

Open discussion? Truth?

Shoredump announces that he respects, 'likes' dreamers outlook??? Yet, none of the swillnut dreamteam have gone anywhere near this. Tell me what is to respect and like about this, dreamer's nightmarish outlook.

Dreamon said, and recently stated that he is still planning this fucked up shit.

'BTW. i saw a women at the market in Dandenong the other day with a burqua or maybe it was a Niqab it was kind of in-between couldn't see her face though, i was waiting for my missus so did a bit of people watching with her, to be honest she didn't look oppressed like the full black robe ones I've seen in Indonesia that look like servants of the men, actually looked the opposite in this case she had her little middle eastern guy following her around and from the body language she looked like she was wearing the pants so to speak.

It was quite crowded and was thinking maybe i will accidentally go bump into her and say sorry etc and see if she will interact with me and see the reaction of her husband, but by that time my missus had finished.'

His shitty outlook was quickly called out, by, yes guess who, who dreamer now despises.

SB said:

'Is it just me, or is this just a bit, erm, mental?'

Benner also called it out:

'Hmmm..

Let's replace "burqa or niqab" with "biniki", the location from the "Dandenong markets" to "Bondi Beach", and let's switch stereotypes - Australian wife/husband, muslim bloke watching from the side.

Let's then see how this woman interacts with you (and how her husband reacts) after you "accidentally bump into her".

C'mon ID.. really? Why do you need to see how they react following fake body contact? What would it tell you that you wouldn't otherwise get from asking them a question?'

I also called it out. As did others.

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/politico/307178?page=63

dreamer's got form, bad form. What is to like and respect about this shoredump and swillnut dreamteam? Again, swillnuts avoid it like the plague. In the 'Treaty' thread, when discussing Indigenous Australians, dreamer smarmily spat this racist crap out:

'I can't believe nobody came up with the old line.

"It doesn't matter how much milk you put in coffee it's still coffee"

Which well is not true at some point it just becomes coffee flavour milk.'

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/politico/352734?page=1

Impressive???? FFS.

Swillnuts won't go near this either. When swillnut blowblow was relentlessly arguing why Indigenous Australian's achievments were not very impressive at all, he adopted the official, assertive stance, that 'territory and population expansion were the basic measure of success'. Yet here he is, 24/7 ludicrously squwarking his atrophied, underdeveloped guts out, relentlessly asserting the exact opposite????

blowblow screeched:

'It all depends on how you measure success I suppose.

Quite a lot to be said for and against allowing humanity to expand its population exponentially as has western agricultural development, but expanded population and territory is basically the yardstick of any species success .'

Honest open discussion??? Haha you're kidding??? Like when again relentlessly having a go at Indigenous Australians, blowblow bullshitted out the ludicrous speil that his taking a FIFO job at Port Hedland was a part of some masterplan to save Indigenous Australians by building houses for them. FFS. Swillnuts luv it but. Again.

If you want an explanation as to why the swillnut club nationalistic ideal is rampant on here, their protected platform, this explains it all, and should be a world wide, mandatory part of the curriculum at all schools.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/why-we-hate

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 1:18am

“Isnt it funny how so many dogs end up on “farms”

Haha! Classic GF. I too was in primary school at the time. Now you’ve got me seriously wondering about Patch’s ultimate fate! Surely not.......

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 6:06am

You just keep those goal posts on the move there Sickaz. I see you're still unable to clarify your original post, just interpreting it how ever you like (which seems to evolve and change to suit your argument on the fly) and then levelling criticism based on an interpretation that you're either unwilling or unable to put into words.

Perhaps you could go for a little sulk again mate?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 7:11am

Another highly dubious government deal in Australia with the Reserve Bank signing a $10.9 million contract with coal baron and Liberal Party mate, to supply power to RBA properties.
That's right $10.9 mil for electricity to a few offices and a small note printing facility in Melbourne. Go back to sleep Australia it's all cool and normal.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/dec/09/reserve-bank-aske...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 10:50am

Chinks in Adern’s armour :

Positive : Everyone’s rented house is full of cheap , disposable and wasteful plastic consumables.

Negative: House ownership in NZ falls to 70 year low.

Ain’t globalisation grand ?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 11:22am

Spot on, MB.

#There Is Always A Comment

Or as ol' Jonesy from Dad's Army also used to say, "They don't like it up 'em!*"

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 11:23am

*Hmmm, not sure if 'homophobic' or not? Paging Professor Sickballz.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 1:29pm

I find it most interesting that when someone praises indod for having a bit of knowkedge on a topic (from someone who also clearly has some knowledge and experience on the topic btw) that certain people's reaction is to drag up some past obscure events from years ago, in some kind of desperate attempt to discredit the poster

...and then his little ip cop thought police mate (acab) piles on in the slamfest...

"#There Is Always A Comment"

not interested in the topic?

no interest in the realities of the situation?

it seems cancel culture is alive and well...

on swellnet of all places!!

have you got nothing of to counter indod's arguments if they're so off the mark?

you reckon obama's way off the mark too?

I gotta say, it all comes across as very reactionary ...and very de-platformy...

you could always counter his points with research and reality and stuff... you know, like academia used to do...

or you could carry on...

'winning'

(clearly not the debate...)

again...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 12:18pm

...as shoredump said...

it may not be as we want it to be

but reality's a bitch like that...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 1:00pm

"that certain people's reaction is to drag up some past obscure events from years ago"
It's called accountability sypkan. It's what happens when people post racist shit on a forum. They get held to account. The days of people posting racist crap, thinking there's no consequences, are over.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 1:02pm

an indescretion does not 'cancel' an accurate accout of reality

just sayin...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 1:05pm

and plus...

your 'interpretation' of 'racism' is so off with the fairies your opinion is worthless

cancelled

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 1:08pm

And for the next display of corrupt shitfuckery in Australia, Senator Bridget McKenzie, one of the key people behind the sports rorts affair, has casually announced that she won't be appearing at the Senate inquiry into the whole shit show.
Her excuse? Well that sort of thing is for ministers not back benchers.
She's just another bent-as-all-fuck LNP parliamentarian who doesn't give a fuck about accountability.
PS Sorry precious blowin for the bad language. I know you're more concerned about a few stray "fucks" rather than the LNP using our tax dollars for a fucking pre-election slush fund.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 1:10pm

Ha ha accountability?

I stand by those comments or story i posted years ago, i have no issue with it but Herc post the same BS every week, is more annoying than anything, just another long post of nothing to skim over and try to ignore.

Like Sypkan pointed out its just a way to try to discredit someone, instead of actually bringing a counter argument.

Anyway respect to you JQ i don't
agree with much you say but generally speaking you have class in how you go about things, playing the ball and not the man most of time

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 2:02pm

"an indescretion does not 'cancel' an accurate accout of reality"

Trumpism writ large.

And no, I'm not talking about the 'jenius' spelling.

"Ya fuck one goat..."

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 2:04pm

No wonder that a lot of farms prefer visa holders and also no wonder that a lot of Australians have no interest in working on farms.

"A human trafficking-style network is feeding international workers to Australian farms, where they’re being exploited, mistreated and threatened – all for less than $10 an hour, explosive allegations reveal."

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2020/12/07/farm-workers-exploitation/?fb...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 2:16pm

Meanwhile in the real world...

"I’ve just stepped away from a press conference in Parliament House. I was responding to the full details of the Government’s proposed unbalanced industrial relations changes.

I wanted you to see these details right away. Here’s what you need to know:

This legislation will allow employers to cut wages and conditions, just like they did with WorkChoices. Shockingly, they will even let agreements go BELOW the minimum award safety-net.

It will take rights off casuals, allowing employers to call workers casuals and take away leave rights. They say casual workers will be able to become permanent after 12 months but give workers no way of enforcing this right - a right is worth nothing if you can't enforce it.

It strips blue collar workers in on big project construction sites of any say whatsoever of their working conditions, creating a class of workers with less rights than everyone else. This is exactly what the big mining bosses want. FIFO workers will be the hardest hit.

These changes are dangerous and extreme, and if the proposed laws pass through parliament, they will completely tip the balance in favour of big businesses.

We cannot allow a generation of workers to be punished with lower wages and worse conditions after carrying Australia through this crisis.

We’ve said all along that the union movement will not accept any proposed changed from the Government that will leave working people worse off.
Time and time again we’ve heard Scott Morrison say that “we’re all in this together”.

But these proposed law changes show that the Morrison Government has sided with extreme big business groups to give them power to cut workers’ pay and remove conditions.

Now we know what we’re up against, we need as many working people as possible to join together to oppose this anti-worker legislation.

I’m going to add a petition link. Please add your name to tell Scott Morrison that we won’t stand back and let workers be punished. The more names we have, the harder we are to ignore.

Let’s show the Government just how strong we are."

- Sally McManus

https://action.australianunions.org.au/stop-this-dangerous-bill

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 2:14pm

Signed.

And speaking of unions, the Australian Workers Union have called for a royal commission into worker exploitation in the horticulture industry.

Sounds pretty real world, doesn't it Facto?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 2:36pm

Hey Indo, maybe if you didn't "stand by those comments or story i posted years ago" (and were ashamed of the embarrassing comments) MB wouldn't throw them back at you so often. Did you think of that?

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 2:47pm

If Sally McManus was genuine about workers wages and working conditions she would address the elephant in the room with substance.
Sustainable population.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 2:57pm

Little bit outside of her purview, Bonza.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 3:11pm

To affect real change? Perhaps. But if you are representing workers right and wages you should address a major contributing factor. Even if it’s not within her power to do something about it.
The issues are inextricably linked and to give her some credit she has called this out previously re the dodgy employers and the temp visa worker. But this only skims the surface.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 3:56pm

Considering the pretty precarious position of unions, I think it would be a grave tactical error to widen the front to include immigration.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 4:03pm

Remember, under a Liberal government, the poor get poorer and the rich get richer. It is at the core of their ideology.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 5:35pm

@JQ

Last time you said that, i said how myself and pretty much everyone I know have gone from poor to doing well to a few people i know extremely well off, and only know a few odd people that are still poor or worse off all due to their own fault drinking, drugs, gambling etc

But do you really know many people that have got poorer under a liberal government?

(im talking longish term and not people that might be affected by covid this year)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 8:38am

"Hey Indo, maybe if you didn't "stand by those comments or story i posted years ago" (and were ashamed of the embarrassing comments) MB wouldn't throw them back at you so often. Did you think of that?"

Ha ha you dont know Herc (Michael bourne) or his history, he always needs one or two people to constantly attack basically those that challenge him present or in the past especially those that have proven him wrong, the guy gets butt hurt and i guess endless insults that are completely off topic is his revenge.

He has even had comments deleted even in the threads under articles for basically attacking people, just a nasty negative person.

And if you havent noticed yet the guy is full of himself, always about i did this and that im some big investor or this or that, the endless one is how he is some charger at blax (a heavy left in SA)

Despite the fact he has never produce any evidence, just a photo of him on a head high wave out in front of the lip which was a right not a heavy left.

As you may have noticed he pretty much says the same thing or cut and paste the same comment every time.

And classic thing he does is repost the comment not long after if people dont react or thinks it somehow gives relevance to his post.

At least he doesnt spend that much time here anymore, he use to be here everyday.

Anyway the things I've said in the past he post, i have no issue with i don't find them embarrassing? why should i?

Obviously they are taken out of context of the conversation, like it is so easy to do with peoples past comments, if you had a run in with him and he wanted to do it too you, it would be extremely easy to do too.

Thats probably the most annoying thing, having comments taken out of context of the original conversation, for instance the milk in coffee thing, was not my comment its comment people on the left use, in the conversation i was said something like "and dont dare say the old line" and then the milk in coffee thing.

Anyway as Sypkan pointed out it's just complete cancel culture at work, try to discredit the person instead of discrediting what they are currently saying, which would actually require him to use his brain and have some knowledge on the topic at hand.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 9:38am

Australia - you're standing in it.

One third of Australian businesses didn't pay tax in 2019.

However "The ATO has also begun using one of the weapons left to it by Joe Hockey, the diverted profits tax. The DPT, which applies only to the globe’s biggest companies, allows the ATO to levy Australian tax if any of a dizzying array of accounting lurks has been used to shift profits earned here offshore.

A “small number” of DPT cases are in progress and one has reached the stage of issuing a formal tax bill."

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 10:33am

"No wonder that a lot of farms prefer visa holders and also no wonder that a lot of Australians have no interest in working on farms."
Add this little nugget to the stories piling up on this insidious industry Andy.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/dozens-of-foreign-workers-live-in...
That is $ 7,700 a week from rent and $ 9,000 a week from transport. Not a bad gig for being an arsehole!!!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 10:38am

Christ almighty.

Yeah it seems the rort is much more than just paying low wages.
That's big money.

And 77 people in a 5 bedroom place!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 11:12am

How good would lock down have been in that joint .

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 11:33am

Costa, nothing to do with us, we know nothing the accommodation was arranged by a "third-party labour supplier".

MidWestMonger's picture
MidWestMonger's picture
MidWestMonger Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 12:17pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 12:30pm

That’s a good gig if you can handle sitting in a cabin all day.

Nice lifestyle perks .....

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 4:39pm

Time to start chucking some Labour Hire execs in jail. That would sort out the industry pretty quick. Same too with hospitality industry wage thieves. Chuck a celebrity chef in the big house for a few months and the problem would be solved overnight. It's a massive problem all around the world.
There was a covid outbreak recently in Aspen based around hugely overcrowded employee housing, provided by the Ritz Carlton hotel. This is a place that charges $1000 a night for a room. And here's the kicker, the people getting covid were interns. That's right. People working for nothing.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 4:42pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 5:47pm

"77 people in a 5 bedroom place!"

That's impressive even by Indo standards.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 6:18pm

You reckon there’s ever any fights over someone’s milk going missing in the fridge ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 7:52pm

Five bedrooms so most likely 2 maybe 3 toilets, can you imagine 77 people wanting to use the toilets and the state of the toilets.

From the article "Some of the issues relate to a malfunctioning wastewater treatment system that generated smells. "

No surprises there, m assuming just a non mains septic system, the thing would be chokers pretty quick with solids and overflowing with liquids

But seriously this is true exploitation, those behind this should get serious fines in the hundred thousand plus range and jail time, but doubt they will.

BTW. I lived on an orchard in Tassie picking apples for a few weeks when i was 18, only four of us in a caravan.

It was hard work, but the nights were good just backpackers and feral hippy types, lots of beers, joints, guitars, fires etc

It was hard work and earnt jack shit, but there was regulars more serious older guys that went every year and actually made pretty good money for the time, they just worked smarter and had good technique plus didn't fuck around like us i guess.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 9:00pm

"77 people wanting to use the toilets and the state of the toilets."

Jetstar?

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 10:43pm

Only ever use aeroplane toilets to piss in. NEVER for a dump.

Even on long haul flights. Surely you can control your bodily functions for up to 10+ hours if you really have to?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 11:53pm

You truly are the ringmaster.

Teach me the forbidden ways sensei.

Especially when I go for the curry followed by the cheeseplate.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 1:15am

Your going to have vivid dreams tonight Zen

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 1:43am

As long as they're dry Mr. Slug the vivider the better.