sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 16 Nov 2020 at 6:10pm

and on it goes...

the hubris...

the condescendation...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 16 Nov 2020 at 6:08pm

you guys really need to work out the difference between intelligence and well educated

so so tony abbott...

ironically enough

again...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 16 Nov 2020 at 6:57pm

Guy said "you can't argue with stupid VicLocal".

I'm sure that's something we can all agree on.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 16 Nov 2020 at 7:00pm

"Guy said "you can't argue with stupid VicLocal".

I'm sure that's something we can all agree on."

haha, I read that all wrong, context is everything...

yep we're all in agreeance

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 16 Nov 2020 at 7:30pm

Hey Sypkan mate, do you want a hand getting down off that pedestal?

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 16 Nov 2020 at 9:39pm

Wally your post went under the radar

"The fact that the Republicans have been the ones to shamelessly gerrymander, voter suppress and have recently been busy removing voting machines and post boxes from Democrat voting districts and yet accuse the Dems of trying to steal the election, well it’s a bit rich."

"Assuming the Republicans hang on to the chamber by winning both runoffs for Georgia’s Senate seats in January, the Democratic group will represent 20 million more Americans in the incoming Senate than their peers across the aisle – and yet still be in the minority. Vox has calculated that if both runoffs are won by Democrats that gulf in representation would shoot up to 40 million Americans, while the Senate would remain in a 50-50 split."

How ever there is so much more

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/16/donald-trump-conce...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 16 Nov 2020 at 10:11pm

spykan I would argue those conventions that Trump attacks as the great disruptor (as you describe him) are the glue that successfully hold communities and countries together. In many ways it's not Trump that needs to be questioned its the Republican Party, as I have said before it wasn't too long ago that the conservative side of politics were the fiercest defenders of the law, the courts and legal and political convention. The Republican Party have enabled Trump and continue to do so and they, each senator and congress man and women should know better. I would argue great chunks of the Republican Party are the disruptors, no longer interested in the democratic process and Trump is their vehicle. The Republican controlled senate blocked Obama for 8 years and are likely also to do so again with Biden.

IFocus, voter suppression laws* and gerrymandering in the US favouring the Republican Party makes a mockery of Republican claims about stolen elections. Ive heard it said if the US corrected all these distortions few Republicans would ever be elected to either house let alone as President. Thank god we have the AEC and compulsory voting here.

* in many states if you owe the State government any money for any reason you are automatically struck off the electoral roll ... and that favours which party?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 9:27am

The lizard of Oz.

https://theconversation.com/courting-the-chameleon-how-the-us-election-r...

If any of that is news to you, then, well, you've really got to get out more and start paying attention.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 12:56am

Trump #1 Vote suppressor, his main occupation is denying your right to vote!
Anywhere, anyhow, anytime...Trump promises to deny, delay or lose your vote!

Trump began with suing everybody that his inauguration & Votes were Bigger.
Then just as now the world waits for Biggest Baby to Bully everyone to agree!
https://www.aclu.org/other/aclu-response-trump-election-commission-execu...

*Quoting : "Proud Boys Mantra"
1) Prevent likely Dem voters from Registering
2) Stop Dem' voters from voting
3) Stop Dem' Ballots from being counted
4) Get a Court to throw out their Votes
5) Manipulate legislation to reinstall power.
(Note: Mix in threats & violence where necessary!)
https://www.gazettenet.com/Newman-column-37177498

*Trump's Mates
As allies Oz went without US Presidential visit + 2 + years delay for ambassador.
Now that's fucking piss poor but then the stupid prick calls his #1 mate Austria?
Dimwit US Ambassador thinks he's on Lake Burley Campbell.
A turd treats Oz with more respect...(Worst & lousiest President Ever!)

*Trump's Democratic Process
President forgets to pay tax for a record untold amount of times
Record amount of Lawsuits await outside Trump's door.
Trump's record 'zero debt' Poll tax saw only 67,000 vote from 6m former felons.
Trump sacked a Record 550 US Staff for Republican Hacks to block Dem access.
Record 35 Day National Xmas Strike for Record Wall Collapsing Temper Tantrum.

*Trump Booth Removalists
Record 10 to 20% Black's Poll Booths closed.
Record 20% less Vote Counters with 6ft distancing = Record slow count.
Record Voters had to wait a record 12 hrs in longest Covid Queues .
Trumps record "ROBOCALLS" Voting is too dangerous today (Keep Away)
Trump orders a record 50,000 Poll "Armed ARMY" in 15 swing states only?
Yes! + Yes! Record Off duty armed Rep' servicemen hover over your vote & count.
Record armed Rep' intimidation in no way intimidates Voters or Counters...(Clear!)
https://www.newyorker.com/video/watch/voter-intimidation-returns-to-america

*Democratic Outposts
Record Republican goons Zoom video Out Posts.(Law tells proud boys to get out!)
Trump launched record appeals to ban replacement pop-up Booths for Blacks.
Trump's Court case none? Removed a record 75% of all Wall mounted Vote Boxes.
Reduced to a record low one ballot box drop per county.
Launched Record legal cases to shut down Drive Thru Voting.

*Trump Hate Mail
Record Slow Ballot mail out = 28 days
Record Slow Ballot pick-up-delivery - US Post : "15 days + advise extra 1 week"
US Post : "46 states will be denied cut off Ballot Delivery."
Trump removed a record amount of Mail Sorting machines to slow USA to a crawl.
Trump's Record USA Electoral Snail Mail = 50 days + add 14 day Quarantine!

[ Factcheck ] Pony Express can deliver & return 2020 US Vote Ballots in 20 days!
Exactly! Double US productivity with Ponies & save most expensive law case ever.

Record Rep' US Post Governors for record slow US Progress to deny Black votes
Record slow Mail Ballots delivery to arrive at Swing State Booths after 4:am cut!
Trump / US Post record [ NO DATE ] + [ fe in t ] Postmark scam to void Ballots
US Post denied Rep' Fed Court Order for poll day sweep record 40% lost Ballots.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-04/usps-ordered-to-check-for-delayed...
Post ran outta time (Twice) a new slow record to lose record black votes again.

*Swingingest Hottest Spots
(Forward) US Health requested these lousy tests to assist in US Covid Hot Spots

Trump's record zero 100,000 False Negatives > lockdown Hawaiian Vote booths
Trump's Rep Gov's (Only) can hot wire record False Positives to quarantine Blacks.
ALL swing seats now recorded highest (False) Positives in weeks of Election.
Record 100 Millions of Blacks / Hispanics / Indians were locked down on poll eve.
Record Biggest electoral fraud of 2020.

*Seat of Democracy
Trumps record unknown Pill Popping combo + False Negative Campaign Test.
Trump's record pre/post covid super spread ramps White House Pandemic
Record size nomination of [ Made in China ] **TRUMP* * branding of White House
Record tacky White House telemarketing to stoke Trump's Shares.

*Democracy on Trial
Trump stacks a Record Republican Supreme Court
Hires a Record 8,500 lawyers to buy Republicans a fake cowardly Victory
Trump drums up record 350 Fake Election legal challenges just to buy time!
Trump's record bitchiness & slurs upon US, destroy whole democratic institution
Record denial of Postal Votes + Record denial of Military Votes.
Trump's record denial of Ascertainment blocks Transition $10m of Offices & Staff
Trump's record delay of democratic sharing of daily briefs.

*Selling off Democracy
Record fake Post Electoral Fraud Account rip off of innocent Trump supporters.
Scam prides how you can buy Fake Election Win with a record amount of money!

*Democratic Oaf
Record $10 trillion a day infinite (correct) arms deals to Republican hacks
https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/2411921/
Terminator Trump holds Perfect record 'Daily Kill' Strike. (Golf / Kill / Pills)
UN : "Trump's record kills surpasses last 2 presidents combined & Taliban."
Record ignorance of Trump Rally supporters on the way to record Golf Rounds
Supporters Flag a record Trump 25 year term in the White House now forever!

Trump's Voter fraud & suppression started from day one & only got worse.
Lead Republicans & all are sick & tired of this biggest loser bullying the World..

This is by far the most common Trump Supporter Quote during TV interviews.
"Only takes one case of voter fraud to prove Biden fixed the election!"
Republicans need only find 1 Fake Dem vote & we'll see a 70m lynching party!

Trump's Vote fixing is on a Global Scale, so that must be somewhere else...(Poetry!)

*Hellfire George & Smokin' Joe have dug up the dirty Democrat Vote Fraud...
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/call-for-patience-as-labor-blast...

*[FACTCHECKER]
https://www.factcheck.org/issue/voter-fraud/

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 10:30am

sorry for having morals and ethics jq, I know its not very fashionable in this era of 'whatever it takes' politics. I really don't like big noting myself, but I was just answering guysmiley's questions

'the great disruptor and chief' isn't my term, it is a fairly commonly thrown around phrase in certain circles, and it is very indicative of your media bubble that you've never heard it, not having a shot, just find it very revealing how many have probably never heard of it.

I'd say many republicans are still very law and order orientated and traditionslist guysmiley, they are just holding their nose and getting on with the lesser of two evils in their eyes, ...like a lot of people...

I take your point, on conventions etc, but as they say, you've got to break a few eggs..., and, tbh, a lot of these conventions are totally pompous, purely ceremonial, and rather outdated

whilst fascisto is consistently wrong on just about everything, he is right about one thing, trump tearing the traditional republican party apart, and making it virtually unrecognisable. whilst he relishes in this destruction and sees it as the beginning of the end, I would say, we will see...

I didn't see trump as a significant lasting political realignment in 2016, but four years on, I have totally changed my tune. this is about the ongoing shortcomings of the democrat party as much as as anything from my perspective. but a significant part of it, is many of the working classes being poached by trump in a much more lasting manner than I ever envisioned

whilst the lefty zealots like to see trump as a flash in the pan that has, or will eventually, destroy the republican party, it seems much bigger, less expected, transitions are actually taking place

a very telling statistic from the exit polls of the last election was why voters voted for trump or biden within party lines. the breakdown for democrats was pretty much 50/50, with half saying they voted for biden, and the other half saying they voted against trump

within the republicans however, 20 % said they voted against biden, and a relatively staggering 80% said they voted for trump

no matter how much lefty's and republican never trumpers wish to the contrary, trump and his trumpism isn't going anywhere...

adding to these interesting statistics is the fact that the conventional wisdom was that the demographics were heading in the democrats favour. with the thinking being that, the republicans were basically fucked as america became less white and less rural, meaning the US was heading into a significant lengthy period of rule by the left of politics

well trumpism has blown that theory out of the water, as he not only poached the working classes, but he has also poached many of the democrat's assumed minority voters they were counting on for their expected never ending time in office

I go into this not to gloat, but to make the point that the democrats have been caught out big time, and that all their assumptions about their rainbow coalition have been wrong. and interestingly, we have seen a very similar pattern in australia, with many minorities voting coalition, despite labor's desperate bribery

now post 2020 election, despite the democrats narrowly winning, it would seem it's actually the democrat party that are in all sorts of bother and disarray, suffering from identity and ip problems, with a diminishing reliable voter base, rather than the republicans. this is evidenced by their post election infighting and freak out due to not taking out the election convincingly

so buckle up never trumpers, whether he runs again 2024 or not, trump's legacy will be destroying both parties assumed identities and their projected trajectories

the republicans can't afford to get rid of him, and the democrats can't assume pretty much anything that has moulded their party's ideology for decades

trumpism, in some form or other, is here for the long haul

sorry to break it to ya

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 2:14am

Guy smiley when Obama was elected in 2008 he had the first two years with a democratic majority in the senate and the house, including two periods with a D60/R40 filibuster proof senate majority, one for over a month in 2009, another for over 4 months in late 2009 into 2010. It’s very complicated.

The next four years it was a democratic majority in the senate, but a rebublican majority house. Senate majority was not >3/5 so not immune to republican obstruction.

The last 2 years was a republican majority senate and republican majority in the house.

During the first two years of the Obama administration, they had over 5 months, all up 178 days, with a Dem60/40GOP senate super majority. During this period they had around 72 WORKING days whereby they could theoretically pass whatever legislation they wanted and the Republican Party could do nothing to stop them. Not heaps of time but more than none.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress

Obama had a democratic majority in the senate for the first 6 years of his presidency but without super majority the republicans were able to obstruct almost all of the legislation he tried to pass. Leaving him with only executive orders.

Also worth a mention, the 2008 senate election in Minnesota was so close that it triggered a mandatory recount and legal challenges. Al Frankens, a democrat was finally awarded the election win after a delay of just over 8 months which would have given Obama more time with a super majority (I think it’s about 3 months but not sure).

Definitely not defending all of the GOP senate blocking but the idea the GOP ‘controlled’ the senate is not accurate. Also the DNC have done their share of gerrymandering.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 9:04am

‘Can we cut the ad hominem attacks?

I don't care what you say about me, Uppy - in fact I'm not even sure what you're saying - but from yourself and a few other players, the personal abuse towards other forum users has gotta stop. If it doesn't then posts will be dissappeared.

Complain about that all you want.‘

‘Even the ones where you let ya maaayytees call my wife a slut and whore?’

‘No, I wouldn't allow that, but then I've never read it either, and no-one has ever sent an email to us suggesting we remove posts calling your wife those names. Not defending anyone, I just haven't seen proof of the transgression.‘

There’s been heaps of times it’s been said and insinuated on this site over the years. And it has been pointed out by several other posters for the gutless, smarmy, low, hidden shit that it obviously is. The good ‘ol look away says a lot. Here’s the latest examples.

‘That’s the thing about bullies and gymtards - neither stand up to any kind of real resistance. It’s all piss and wind until they hit a slight bump in the road and the wheels fall straight off like a mail order bride’s undies at the sight of a dollar.‘

‘“ Intermediate expert fisherman opens overcoat in front of Asian prostitute to reveal poorly typed resume including reference from Geraldton’s third best gymnasium....”’

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/209711?page=11

Also why do you encourage obvious, open misogyny and racism from your mate, as well as attacks on my wife?

Sickeraz, I have studied Indigenous Australian Cultures and am on the Deans Honour Roll at 2 universities, as well as receiving other awards for my efforts. I have also worked for numerous Indigenous Australian Organisations in 3 states over a long time frame. How about you?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 12:13pm

Hahahaha.

I hope you got all that, Guy, you poor bastard. Oh, and JQ too.

(Pssssst Sepp, come close...it's 'disruptor IN chief', bud)

Anyway, Guy & JQ, I'm sure youse can take it from there...and 'consider' accordingly.

FFS.

An apt musical interlude before wading in, fellas...

Sickballz!

Yew!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 9:30am

Oi TBB, I've said it before, but you should defo have a squiz at the work of Greg Palast if you haven't already.

He's right up your alley, and has been on the case for decades.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 10:47am

thanks for the correction fascisto

you're rather nice in your cut em down deplatforming mean girl routine today, pleasant even...

and clearly not always absolutely wrong about everything all the time, you do have a niche or two after all, spelling mistakes, thread police (acab), and gramnar nazi, nice...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 10:09am

@Uppy,

Mate, you're gonna have to drop it. Yesterday I went searching for said offensive comment, found it, and the interaction is nothing at all as you now interpret it. Strangely, after the 'offensive' comment is made (note ironic quote marks) you continue a very cordial conversation with Blowin. Seems like the anger you've built up towards Blowin, and also towards me, is from some other issue, I don't know what, but you're now using that exchange as justification.

It's great having you comment on fitness and design threads but please cut out the personal attacks.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 10:22am

Stu , if you could get rid of the above post written by Michael Bourne it’d be appreciated.

I’ve had a guts full of the bullshit . I want nothing to do with any of that garbage.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 10:43am

I get the picture perfectly, thanks stuart! Its very, very clear. Obviously you are also only interested in this type of front page, top shelf, boys club... 'journalism' (sic), so won't be upset or offended by my direct quoting of it?

‘That’s the thing about bullies and gymtards - neither stand up to any kind of real resistance. It’s all piss and wind until they hit a slight bump in the road and the wheels fall straight off like a mail order bride’s undies at the sight of a dollar.‘

‘“ Intermediate expert fisherman opens overcoat in front of Asian prostitute to reveal poorly typed resume including reference from Geraldton’s third best gymnasium....”’

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/209711?page=11

Would you prefer that I didn't comment on Indigenous Australian Cultural issues also? I'm very, very qualified in the field, as well as having years and years of experience working in the field for multiple Indigenous Australian Organisations. Obviously that includes the topics of racism and misogyny. I understand if that presents problems for you!

I guess my biggest problem on here is that I don't have a 'backstory'!!! Never mind... again...

Interesting how you suddenly found those comments too. What did you search for exactly?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 11:26am

I didn't "suddenly" find them, it took a fucking lot of time, time that could've been spent doing more productive things.

The quotes you've provided? I've gotta assume the author had no idea about your wife. I didn't. The first one is in poor taste but, without knowledge of heritage, it can't be construed as a slight upon you or your wife.

I truly apologise if it makes/made you feel uncomfortable.

I don't have any preference about your comments on Indgenuous matters. If I think about them now, then yeah, they've been considered and knowledgeable, but I'm not trying to limit which subjects you can comment on, just that the personal attacks stop.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 11:41am

I find it interesting that a few on here that are constant in personally attacking certain people are also conveniently the very first ones to play the victim card when the shoe is on the other foot...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 12:07pm

Sickaz thanks for that information, clearly I stand corrected. cheers

I noted on the news this morning that 1,000,000 Nth Americans have contracted Covid in the last 6 days, with the daily death toll at 1,000. The news report also mentioned that Trump hasn't meet with his Covid management team for months ...... under these circumstances how can the Republican Party stand by Trump or is the fate of everyday citizens no longer a concern for the right of politics?

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 12:07pm

Thanks again stuart. No doubt Asians, women, and some of this sites subscribers would find the second quote in great taste.

I have to assume that ‘he’ knew, because this sort of thing has gone on for a while. But I understand that you ‘have to assume’ the opposite.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 12:08pm

Sickaz, any info on what the Obama administration passed during that super majority period? I'm curious as to what they thought was more important than their ideal version of obamacare etc.

On a completely unrelated note, and moving slightly northwards from the USA, is this Blowin's ideal politician?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-15/canada-conservative-party-erin-ot...

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 12:53pm

GuySmiley, have a look at it, I mean really zoom out for a second and have a look at it. On the one hand you have a leader saying 'you don't need to fear COVID. On the other hand you have a mask wearing fear campaigner who's whole election campaign is based on it. One is trying to empower you the other is trying to strip your power and make you feel like 'you don't have this'. I know what leader I would want. The bizarre but real situation is that people have been so indoctrinated with the fear pandemic, that crazy Biden is appealing. And fro my perspecitve COVID response is the only leg he ever had to stand on.. Maybe the Demo's only hope and they knew it... Controversial.?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 12:57pm

Fuck sake, tell me we've hit peak bullshit.

Swolenut world, the real world. Every-fucken-where.

And could the piss get any weaker? It's giving the term 'piss weak' a bad name.

Is this all a species of 'Trumpism' writ large? Bullshit...double down on bullshit...triple down...quadruple down...etc etc etc

If truth really is "the foundation of all knowledge and the cement of all societies", then we've got some major problems. In Swolenut world, the real world.

Shaky pedestals, crumbling foundations. Shit collapses.

In a lot of ways it already has.

Especially on here.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:01pm

No one is forcing you to be here but yourself..

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:09pm

Where? Swolenut world or the real world?

Are you an existentialist, Fitzy?

Bravo!

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:12pm

Shortenism, go check out Trump's interviews with Bob Woodward.
"It goes through the air. That's always tougher than the touch. You don't have to touch things. Right? But the air, you just breathe the air and that's how it's passed. And so that's a very tricky one. That's a very delicate one. It's also more deadly than even your strenuous flus."
"It’s not just old, older. Young people too, plenty of young people."
"I wanted to always play it down, I still like playing it down, because I don’t want to create a panic."
All recorded quotes from Trump.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:14pm

Facto, who was your "peak bullshit" quote aimed at?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:20pm

Trump has let corona virus run rampant through the USA.

the ramifications from that will take a while to play out.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 2:02pm

you're speaking way too much sense today fitzroy-21, that just won't cut it round here mate, ...for some...

I loathe to agree with shortenism, but he's spot on. the dems whole canpaign was based on fear. they squeezed way more political milage out of the mask thing than trump ever did, geez biden barely took the bloody thing off. same with the rest of the democrats. well except pelosi and cuomo, who both got caught out at the salon with no mask on, have I mentioned the hypocrisy?

ffs, biden even double masks up sometimes

the dems have totally adopted the repubs fear campaign playbook and played it harder than anyone

it's like the last election (2016) where trump offered hope and a positive message to a lot of people, while the dems were all fear, status quo, and hate, ...whilst spruiking 'love trumps hate' ...ironically enough..., have I mentioned the irony?

this election the dems went full fear with the covid thing (probably justified, ...to an extent...), while once again, trump offers hope and positivity

I personally don't buy into either of these extremist tales, and find the truth somewhere in the middle, as it often is...

and, personally I don't have a problem with masks, and largely find westerners' aversions to them to be driven by racism, yes that's right, racism. they make perfect sense to me, hence me using one when I see fit, but the extremes and bullshit in both messages is stark and, just, well, bullshit. have I mentioned the bullshit?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:24pm

Trump claiming Communism was coming to the US under the Dems, especially while talking to refugees from Central and South American dictatorships, wasn't based on fear?

Just sensible rhetoric, eh?

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:31pm

Sypkan, in some cases fear is justified.
There have been 246,000 deaths attributed to coronavirus in the USA so far, and infections are still growing exponentially.
For context, the CDC reports that influenza results in 12,000-61,000 deaths annually (since 2010).
Wearing a mask in public, keeping physical distance, washing your hands etc is a pretty small price to pay to in some way limit further deaths (not to mention other health impacts).

Still boggles my mind that this has become so politicised over there.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:31pm

Pops....yep. I’d give him my vote in a flash. Even considering he sounds like a leopard who’s given his spots a quick coat of paint , it’s at least a step in the right direction.

Talking about revealing their spots - the ABC showing their hand again as controlled opposition. Now they’d have us believe that a change in direction back towards the social democracy which made our nation great would be following the path of populism. They’d have you believe there’s no such thing as faceless elites who control the direction of our politics and economy . Perhaps they think the recent Asian Pacific trade deal , conceptualised and developed in complete secrecy , was written up at the local pub by the common grunts after a day laying bricks ?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:34pm

"Are you an existentialist, Fitzy?"

I rarely like to engage with you facto as I find you only occasionally have anything useful to offer on here. The rest of your offering is noise, sarcasm and snide abuse.

On the other hand, I quite enjoy reading many others points of view, whether I agree with them or not, it provides some balance.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:35pm

"They’d have you believe there’s no such thing as faceless elites who control the direction of our politics and economy."
Not how I read it Blowin. I thought they were actually arguing that O'Toole really kinda is one of those elites.
"To interrupt quickly. It's a standard trope of wannabe populists to blame "elites" for the state of the world, as though they're not part of the elite themselves."
Not that that's a good argument against the bloke's position.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 2:05pm

I agree pops, some of it was justified, and I said as such...

but the dems played it hard, way hard...

"Still boggles my mind that this has become so politicised over there."

totally agree pops, totally unbelievable, but both sides did it, to the absolute extreme!!

so much so, that biden has created himself an impossible task ie. introducing mandatory mask wearing across a very diverse range of environments and communities which require a much more prescriptive approach. all amongst the backdrop of a very divided country, with some very angry and defiant pockets

good luck with that...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:53pm

yep, too late now.

better off protecting the vulnerable and to the devil go the hindmost.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 1:54pm

and, as a side note to the above, I find it rather stupid to the extreme that qantas are too chicken to make masks mandatory on their flights. I recently flew qantas and there were more flight stewardesses/stewards that were not wearing masks than there was that were wearing them, ...all kinds of dumb....

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 2:29pm

...and the only mask that will protect is an N95 (not a surgical mask), moreover you actually need to be "fit tested" as well.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 2:46pm

san g....any covering of the mouth and nose provides some protecting and so limits the chances of both contracting and spreading covid.

we don't require 100 protection from masks to reduce the spread of covid.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 3:04pm
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 3:53pm

shortenism, no matter how far I step back the view is just the same - I only see a total lack of leadership by any measure on Trump's part. "Empower" my arse twinkles it's been a total abdication of all responsibility in the name of political and economic gain. But again could anyone have reasonably expected any better from Trump, not really IMO, but it's the Republican Party that should be held fully responsible for standing by the megalomaniac Trump.

... and as for a proper transition and handover to Biden and how that would go some way to properly dealing with Covid, no Trump and the Republican Party aren't thinking of "empowering" the American people are they.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 3:55pm

Guysmiley, you're being too kind to shortenism. I will re-write your post.
Hey shortenism you tin foil hat wearing barmpot. 250,000 people, and their friends and families, aren't feeling empowered by Trump at all you deranged cunt.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 4:06pm

A barmpot... after cottaging, I shudder to ask...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 4:09pm

If Trump is responsible for 250,000 COVID deaths then surely Xi Jinping is responsible for 1,333,000 COVID deaths ?

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 4:23pm

Now you are writing other peoples posts Vic... Radical... And GS, there wont be a handover because Biden didn't win or have I missed something?

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 4:27pm

via GIPHY

(@ Blowin)
I agree though. It'd be hard to argue that China doesn't have a level of culpability from how they seem to have acted early on. Big difference is that they changed tack (locked down etc), unlike Trump.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 4:25pm

Shortenism, yeah, you missed something.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 17 Nov 2020 at 4:40pm

I'd say that something is called reality.