Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 7 Nov 2020 at 4:35pm

Well you see, distracted, the year before covid, Australia had 9344000 international tourists (yes you read that right- over NINE MILLION). The average spend while here was $5183. So, 9344000 x $5183 = 48,429,952,000 (48 1/2 billion)

So the tourism sector is at least 8 1/2 BILLION short, mate. Plus holidaying in your own country, you'll often do it on the cheap.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 10:59am

So do Rodrigo and Maya in their Wicked van, who parked on the street for accomodation last night and ate from their 10kg rice bag!

(Don't blame them with caravan park prices)

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 4:09pm

Sheepdog, the international tourism market will be probably be far worse off as Australians won’t be saving their hard earned for an expensive trip to the international tourism destinations such as Cairns, Sydney or the Goldy, they’ll be doing regional trips which is great for local tourism, but will be crowding them out.
Or, if they are fortunate enough to still have a job they might put the money onto the mortgage or get stuck into renovations. Development Applications on the North Coast are through the roof and tradies are booked up for the next 12 months.
I think the way Covid is panning out will result in massive changes to regional areas which weren’t anticipated. Great for jobs but uncrowded surfs will be something to tell the grandkids about.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 4:39pm

good analysis Distracted.
Big city hotels and big attractions set up to cater for international sausage tourism are not going to recover for a long time. Regional areas are booked out solidly from now until Easter. In Victoria, people are cramming a year's worth of holidays into a three month period.
I just hope the regional tourism industry doesn't get greedy. Charging big $$$ and not being prepared for the crush. We are going to get a sugar hit, but need to be innovative to keep city people coming back to the regions after international borders reopen.
Places like Cairns and the Gold Coast cry about state borders not being open. Their problems run a lot deeper than that. Maybe they should spend their energy dragging their tourism industry out of the 1980s first.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 6:37pm

This place around the corner from me had a reserve of $1.5 million, sold at auction for $1.9.

Eye-watering.

500px instagram

500px instagram

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 6:57pm

Suvla st sale price will be interesting...less M2 but Nth views and aspect

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:15pm

One a development opportunity and the other a ready-to-go luxury pad.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:15pm

m2 with privacy backing onto a bush reserve every time.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:34pm

Yep- last sold 2014 for 935 K

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:41pm

Andy is that Lennox in the background?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:42pm

and do the beachies get good in the foreground?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:52pm

This is south of Lennox, the headland in the distance in the bottom photo is Evans Head.
Without giving too much away, the beaches in the top photo aren't really surfed too much while the beachies in the bottom photo have their occasional day.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:54pm

wow, 1.9 million for Ballina.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:57pm

Thanks Andy, that's expensive real estate. Seems like any coastal property from Cape Otway to Brisbane is going berserk at the moment.
Wish I had bought 10 years ago instead of being preoccupied with getting off my dial every weekend. Would of missed a lot of fun times though ;-}

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm

"We are going to get a sugar hit, but need to be innovative to keep city people coming back to the regions after international borders reopen."

You are a man of vision VL. I reckon we could take another leaf out of the northern states' book and start making Big things down here. Maybe a Big Cougar, because of the legendary cats in the Otways...

The Big Great Ocean Road sign. A bigger, Great Ocean Road sign.

Also, we need theme parks. Blatant excuse to again link one of the best/most disturbing things on the internet:

Treat people like this and they'll surely come back for more. Innovation in tourism.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 9:28pm

That's so fucking weird.

Yet mesmerising.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 10:44pm

I had a house just around the corner from there too. Moved there to give the wife and kids some peace after the shark attack. Beachies are a once in a blue moon hoax. But thankfully there's a couple of bits of reef. One where a shark attack happened, that was ok. The other one I looked straight into from my lounge, kitchen and balcony, and back then, maybe around 18 -19 years ago, it was often surprisingly quiet, and could resemble a good wave at times. It was a good year the first one, good sand, even at lennoids. The big join up subdivisions were just starting. I only lasted around 2/3 years before cracking and selling up. Pete and Gorilla tried to stay, but one too many grovels at boulders... naaah probably that fucking thing that was supposed to be a flatties left point... some desperado, hilarious surfs out there, at least the peak tried to be sucky. Then we would continually climb that fucking tower thing, binoculars glued across the river... don't do it, it will be a hoax... but we did...

I'll never forget my first surf back... 'and could resemble a good wave at times'... WTF was I thinking.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 12:57pm

Don't miss 4 Corners tonight. The government has been leaning on the ABC big time to stop the broadcast about the behaviour of Federal LNP MPs. From all reports it starts by rehashing the Beetrooter's extra-curricula activities, discusses the bonk-ban and then it drops a few massive truth bombs.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 5:48pm

one corrupt cockwomble down this one next

Screen-Shot-2020-11-09-at-5-43-45-pm
find duplicate values online

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 5:48pm

++

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 6:18pm

Ya dreaming Guy, Scomo's not going anywhere especially when the best Labor put up is Albanesse

Scomo is also nothing at all like Trump.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 8:07pm

"Scomo is also nothing at all like Trump" says Swolenut's #1 Scummo & Trumpy fan boi.

Jeezus wept. We need a new village idiot. Ours is too tired and emotional...and flat out fucked.

Anyway, reality bites...especially for our very own conservative media commentators...

"Trump did receive a huge vote – but Biden received a vote somewhat larger, to finish millions ahead. And although there was a record voter turnout, Americans who failed to turn up at the polls actually outnumbered Trump supporters."

https://johnmenadue.com/mungo-maccallum-facing-conservative-commentators...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 8:21pm

10 minutes until 4 Corners. This one is going to be huge. There's a lot of very nervous LNP MPs right now.
Scumo is on the record saying he was one of the strongest supporters of the bonk ban. I'm tipping he'll be finding an excuse to ignore it within the hour.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 8:45pm

Never been a fan of the Dead Kennedy's & Jello is a complete knob, but for some reason i got a Dead Kennedy's post come up on my FB feed.

So i was curious to the read the comments, i was happily relived that there was a decent chunk of free thinkers and not all the sheep i expected, few examples.

Anyway Fakeo if the village idiot is tired, log off and go to bed early, we aren't stopping you.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:49pm

"Tired and emotional".

https://wordhistories.net/2018/06/26/tired-emotional-drunk/

Trolls on the DK Karaoke Band Facebook page??

Well, I never!

Worth a (very partial) screenshot, but, hey V.I?

Sweet Fancy Moses! Back to the 2nd rate stoner rock for you! Bong on, brother!

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:54pm

I'm curious, although can imagine why, you think Jello is a knob indoctrinated dreaming. Also, how did it take you this long to notice that plenty of rednecks like punk rock cos they don't listen to the message? And yes, I know not all punk rock has a message, and that if there is a message, it's not always a progressive message.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 11:02pm

Crikey, Hiccups, Info's musical tastes are up there in the same realms as John Howard's infamous and bizzaro love of early Bob Dylan.

When queried how he reconciled this, Johnny remarked that he wasn't a fan of the lyrics, in fact didn't pay them any mind, but that he enjoyed the melodies and singing.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:54pm

Just wanted to say message again.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 11:01pm

4 Corners! Porter and Tudge. Nuclear hypocrisy meltdown!

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 11:06pm

Yeaha facto. I pretty much know the answer. Just want to hear what he says.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 11:11pm

It’s the squeaky clean ones you’ve got to be careful of. Undone & exposed. Ouch......

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 11:21pm

Hiccups, re: punk, and then there was Sid Snot!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 8:51am

Kenny Everett references aside for one minute...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 8:52am

Who wouldn't want to be a lawyer these days?

Ka-ching!

Lawsuits abound both sides of the equator, it seems!

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2020/11/10/porter-legal-action-four-corn...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 9:13am

Reckon that 4 Corners piece had everything but the smoking gun; that is, all the foundations for a case but not the knockout piece of evidence. If the lady in the bar appeared in front of camera, or some other misdeed was discovered, then today's headlines would be very different. As it is we've got fish and chip wrappers.

And I really don't want to defend Christian Porter, my wife went through UWA with him, then they crossed paths many times afterwards, so I know exactly the sort of person he is (also means I'm not the least surprised with the pissant version of ICAC he's proposed), but if Malcolm wants his words to carry weight he needs to explain why he promoted Porter to Attorney General.

So much talk about ethics and principles in last night's show...well, where were Malcom's when they mattered? There's the man with the moral failings, and then there's the man who promoted the man with the moral failings.

Perhaps there was a reason he still promoted him, but without the question being asked it left a big hole in the case they built.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 9:24am

Other thoughts:

The presenter mentioned four times that the Attorney General is "the first law officer of Australia", without telling viewers what that meant, or explaining why anyone occupying the role isn't a normal politician, that they're effectively the moral compass of the nation, and again that falls to Malcolm to explain why he would promote Porter if he knew all his moral failings (Sub-thought: Perhaps Porter, with all his flaws, was the best the Liberal party had?)

Hope Ita can find an extra $50 million or so as defunding the ABC is Liberal tradition and the target on their back just grew seven-fold, and without any scalp to show for it.

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 9:29am

I thought the funniest bit was Kristina looking slightly pleased with herself repeatedly saying liberal pollies "came onto her " at some function. well...fancy that...

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 9:34am

(not meant as a double entendre, just that she is the most attractive politician I have ever seen)

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 9:39am

"So much talk about ethics and principles in last night's show...well, where were Malcom's when they mattered? There's the man with the moral failings, and then there's the man who promoted the man with the moral failings."

I was thinking the exact same thing. What a cretin.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 10:06am

"Reckon that 4 Corners piece had everything but the smoking gun; that is, all the foundations for a case but not the knockout piece of evidence"
Where's you sense of fun stunet?
The way these things work is journos keep a little bit of gun powder dry. They give the scumbags enough rope, and then chuck more rocks.
Scumo is in a shit situation. He can either crack down on Tudge and Porter and pray that is stops there, or he can further compromise himself and the LNP and try and sweep it under the carpet.
Tudge and Porter could crack the shits and quit, creating high stakes by-elections.
I'm tipping the gutless PM will play the "Canberra bubble" card and let his team know they are protected no matter what they get up to. He's never held the crooks in his team to account. The shaggers will get the same treatment.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 12:58pm

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-12-56-45-pm

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 1:11pm

Haha!

Brilliant! :-)

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 1:27pm

Hahahaha. Turnbull's questionable judgement? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Remember when he rewarded Mal Brough with a front bench position as a 'special minister' because Mal backed him in the coup against Tones?

The 'special minister' position for 'government integrity'.

Nek minnit...

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2016/02/13/cabinet-reshuffle-2016/

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 1:33pm

As for Mal and the Lib's attorney generals, who can forget ol' 'bookshelves' Brandis?

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/seven-reasons...

People do have a right to be bigots, don't ya know...

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 4:10pm

Gee whizz this is serious shit... firing squad for them both.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 10 Nov 2020 at 7:30pm

Or just stop voting for 'em.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 9:26am

Is there no end to their shitcuntery?

https://junkee.com/indigenous-flag-vote-senate/278132

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 9:46am

Agree with you entirely, just gotta get that C-bomb off the front page.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 9:52am

I'll keep that in mind when delivering my first lines here if that's the case stu. :)