Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 12:04pm

...yet a heap of aussie politicians are spooked (or bought), and willing to bend right back over... again....

time for zen's post above

well past time...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 12:06pm

and, what a fucking joke this leaked document charade is...

pure bullying and intimidation

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 12:20pm

see it from other side....high-level chinese communist party members live in constant fear that the populace is about to rise up and hang their beaten bodies from lamp poles.
getting all pushy with australia gives them a sense of power and control, lets them blow off some steam.

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 12:20pm

What's that chinese saying about a frog not jumping out a pot of slowly boiling water..

neville-beats-buddha's picture
neville-beats-buddha's picture
neville-beats-buddha Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 12:29pm

Flog not jump flom po of srowry boring war-uh?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 12:35pm

I get that chook, but aussie pollies dont need to fall for the bullshit so readily, are they really that naive? dumb? bought?

seriously china uses every trick in the book to manipulate us and the conversation, and has done for a long time, its only the last few years any semblance of sanity has entered the public conversation

"see it from other side....high-level chinese communist party members live in constant fear that the populace is about to rise up and hang their beaten bodies from lamp poles."

doesn't sound all bad...

sounds well past time actually...

both domestic populations are being scammed!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 12:36pm

i didn't mean to suggest in any way shape or form that australian politicians were anything but traitorous assholes of the lowest order.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 3:29pm

Careful Blowin, you mentioned China negatively. The PC thugs will be all over you any second now mate.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 5:42pm

If you want to rile up everyday Australians, you deliver a series of demands like that. Their policy is to use influence to control a situation in their favour, eg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryukyu_Kingdom

it works until it doesn't

https://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Invasion_of_Ryukyu

no love lost with the Japanese (and their clans)

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 5:54pm

short version plz VJ.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 5:58pm

it does seem an ineffective strategy.
that 'leaked' report is only going to make the voting public think we should disengage from china as much as possible.
the chinese strategy seems to only put pressure on politicians for whom mining royalties and GDP are important concerns, while further alienating the voting public. thereby leading to parties and politicians that are anti-chinese being elected.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 6:15pm

.. yeah and leaked to domain? fkn what? they r def fkn with us

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 6:22pm

tl/dr
14th century China sends over a ruling class & governs. Many Chinese too. Okinawa (Ryukyu - good waves there) pays tribute. Descendents of ruling class keep governing, pay tribute. Their young are educated in Beijing. Favourable trade and shipping policy to China. Ships provided by China - spread widely. Factions within Okinawa fought, winner was recognised by Ming Emperor. Policy of 'haijin' or 'sea bans' allowed trade with China from only formally authorised areas (hello, FTA)

Japanese Satsuma clan, more warlike, begin to make claims on the islands Eg soldiers for Korea invasion. Kingdom refuses. And keeps refusing.

Once Japan unified under Tokugawa shogunate, Shimizu/Satsuma clan were authorised to invade and conquer. They did so in force in 1609, and islands were kept under dual influence afterward, to provide a conduit for trade between Japan and China, which was banned. Tribute to China ended by Japan 1875.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 6:29pm

thanks VJ

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 6:44pm

The form of ninjitsu i learnt as a teen was from Ryukyu, interesting. Also nev-bud, u fun knee guy!

Tl;dr

I have nothing further to add your honors.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 7:58pm

Hey fire I have a friend here who is just shy of 70. He is the kindest, coolest guy you could ever meet. He is the manager of an NPO handicapped facility with patients/guests I guess you could say from a mild intellectual disability to full-on, round the clock care of the most tragic of society.

Anyway, long story short, I was wondering why many younger guys defer to him and he seems to command so much respect. I thought it was because of his devotion and selflessness to his job. I found out he's like 7th Dan Kuro obii (black belt) in some sort of martial art that is purely for defence. It's not Karate, nor Aikido the name escapes me. One of his proteges showed me a vid of him being attacked by a group as a demonstration- the guy is a machine. I cannot believe this small, wiry, softly-spoken man is a grandmaster. It's the coolest thing.

I'll send him a message and try and find the name out for you and get back to you.

edit: He just got back to me and his discipline is Shorinji Kempo and he is a go-dan or level 5 black belt. I just said 7th cause I thought that was the highest but apparently 5th is. Anyway, watching him defend himself against half a dozen other black belts was pretty cool, especially for a an old fella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorinji_Kempo

Sorry this thread has nothing to do about Australia.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 9:15pm

Let's bring Eastern spirituality and Australia back together:

http://www.melbournechat.org/index.php?showtopic=3200

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 10:10am

“Australian politicians who have rich experience with China such as former Prime Minister Paul Keating, former Foreign Minister Bob Carr and former Ambassador to China Geoff Raby also warned the current Australian government of the way it engages with China.“

Is Labor China’s “running dog”?

In 1950 an article in The China Weekly Review gave the definition “A running-dog is a lackey, one who aids and accompanies in the hope of being treated kindly and perhaps being allowed to share in the spoils.”

In 1953 a Saturday Evening Post article offered a definition for tso kou (“running dog”), saying “A ‘running dog’ was a person who follows obediently after the person whose dog he is, a fellow traveler.”

Historian Yuan-tsung Chen notes that “In the West, a dog is a man’s best friend; but in China, dogs are abject creatures. In Chinese, no idiomatic expression was more demeaning than the term ‘running dogs.’ “

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 10:27am

Another thought for today.

Seems like we're continually told that not only can Australia support an almost unlimited number of people, this can partly be achieved by increasing population densities in the cities.
At the same time, this density increase is purported to be a more environmentally sound way of living.

Seems like there's a fair bit of doubt about that.

Studies show that greenhouse gas emissions are 50% greater per person for those living in inner city high density areas compared to outer low density areas.

"Reasons for this result include the energy consumed by the use of elevators, clothes dryers, air-conditioners as well as lighting and air conditioning common areas such as parking garages and foyers.
Most studies do not include this latter important element, simply because they are based upon consumer bills, not common consumption."

Another environmental misconception relates to water consumption.

"There is no significant difference in per capita water consumption between those living in multiunit dwellings or separate houses situated in Eastern Sydney in spite of the necessity to water gardens for the latter."

"In addition to negative environmental aspects other studies show the densification policy causes housing unaffordability, traffic congestion, overcrowding, reduced housing choice, decreased community amenity and negative health aspects. "

http://www.newgeography.com/content/006840-high-density-and-sustainabili...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 11:22am

And yet another thought of the day. Well, actually a reality:

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2020/11/20/war-crimes-adf-report/

Can I get a Scotty from marketing "thank you for your service"?

Amen.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 11:35am

I agree Andy.

It's orthodox thinking amongst the planning elite in councils, and state govt departments that Australia has to massively increase density.

Problem is people don't want that.

Which despite our being in a democracy seems to be no impediment to their thinking.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 12:07pm

the federal liberals push mass immigration as it is pretty much the sole engine of economic growth. and of course, to reduce wages.

the nsw state liberals seem to be all about selling land to developers of high rise apartment buildings along transport corridors.
both strategies are clearly aimed at benefiting big business to the detriment of the people of australia. and both strategies are in the bin now.

what are predictions for immigrating and travel in the short to medium term? does it just bounce back to what it was pre-covid? do we get swamped by people fleeing eurpope and north america?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 12:10pm

I think so.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 12:29pm

labour and greens are just as much behind the big Australia as are libs. any alleged difference is negligible and spin. predictions about immigration levels? you can bank on it. RBA just the latest behind the usual suspects demanding immigration levels return to pre-covid.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/rba-governor-...

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 12:37pm

nope, the australian greens are opposed to the current levels of immigration.
they hold that current levels of immigration are outstripping our environmental capacity and must be reduced.
https://greens.org.au/policies/population

bonza, why the outright bullshit about the green's position on immigration?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 12:41pm

Oh bonza, Is that you blowin with a new screen name?

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 12:46pm

can you please point me to an actual figure the Greens have in mind that is sustainable?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 12:52pm

bonza...... you're the one that made the claim the australian greens are for immigration levels have that have no "neglible" difference to the the immigration levels under the current liberal government -- so why don't you just give me the figures and source that you used to make your claim.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 12:54pm

why VL? because i criticized the greens? did you miss the part where i also criticized labour and lib?
happy to be corrected. I dont see any politician from anywhere willing to actually engage in a meaningful way about what a sustainable number is. the libs came out last election with a negligible (reduction) number that was pure spin.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:01pm

figures and source bonza....i'm waiting.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:06pm

70,000 was the average i understand last century.
https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/population#:~:text=Australia%27...(24.6,between%2039.5%20and%2043.0%20years.

seems look a good start to work around

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:13pm

why VL?
Because you played loose with the truth while talking about immigration. blowin does that all the time. You're free to criticise the greens if you want, but when you do that based on BS, you're going to get called out for it.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:25pm

geez so sensitive. My comments that there is no difference is because while the greens policy is nice and feel good. there are no numbers. and therefore they can critique from the sidelines about a sustainable population without having to take the hits from the howls of racism and economic death. what does their policy actually look like in real terms?. How is that bullshit? why does that upset you?

happy to be proven wrong.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:34pm

https://greens.org.au/policies/immigration-and-refugees

policy is here crew. No numbers mentioned. Would it be appropriate to read this and file it in the 'let 'er rip' side of the immigration debate?

And Blowin

"Historian Yuan-tsung Chen notes that “In the West, a dog is a man’s best friend; but in China, dogs are abject creatures. In Chinese, no idiomatic expression was more demeaning than the term ‘running dogs.’ “

We've got 'COVID dogs'

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:36pm

if you don't know what the greens' immigration policy "looks like in real terms", then how the hell do you then claim to know that their immigration numbers are the same as the liberals?

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:40pm

well chook how the hell do you claim that they aren't?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:43pm

The sanctimony of VL knows no bounds. He is the voice of authority in these forums as he knows all. You dare not have an opinion or voice your thoughts without backing it up with proven scientific evidence or a link to the facts. It will be followed with the standard line of “if I see BS here, I will call it out”.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 1:46pm

The Greens haven't done a good job of separating refugees from immigration - as shown by both issues wrapped in the one policy.

Refugees and immigration should be dealt with as two distinct issues, with debates that don't overlap, because for too long questioning immigration levels has, in some people's eyes, been tantamount to xenophobia, so people have either:

a) silently accepted it, which plays perfectly into Big Corpos hands of not questioning the status quo, or,

b) they've covertly supported the parties that do reject immigration, such as One Nation, though it comes with all the unwanted bigotry.

Putting both issues in the same box also perpetuates the notion that our immigration program is based on humanitarian principles, and not the well-strategised economic decision that it is.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 2:13pm

The Greens have been hamstrung with regards to reducing immigration since Pauline Hanson's early days.

And like so many other politicians, now that Bob Brown isn't directly part of The Greens, he can finally say what he thinks i.e. that the rate of global population growth and by extension, Australian population growth, is "alarming".

Not surprisingly, Adam Bandt played down the issue, presumably so he didn't get called a racist (??) by certain parts of his voting base.

A racist for articulating possibly the greatest environmental issue of our time.

Fuggin bewdy.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 3:16pm

We've made some monumental bungles. Money. Money rules everything. It seems unbelievably stupid, that we can't afford to save the planet, to reverse our course of planetary abuse, because it costs too much. Even this covid situation, is governed by money.

Only 200 years ago, this country was in incredible, sustainable, flourishing shape. There wasn't even a notion, or word for money. Or 'employment', or 'work'. 'Fiscal'? Not required, or necessary. Yet the Indigenous Australian Cultures, who by our own international laws, were the legal, sovereign custodians of this country, have a track record of 80,000 years at least, of unmatched success in caring for their Mother Earth, thus themselves, and the rest of the planet. It's difficult to imagine the challenges that they dealt with, in 80,000 years. Yet they did deal with all of the challenges thrown at them by life here, in accomplishing an unmatched success story in the whole of human history. Without spending a cent.

Only one challenge changed that. Our 'culture'. Our 'advancement'. Our 'civility'. Our blatent, brute like lies. Our 'illustrious' forefathers broke our 'international law', and did their very best to exterminate the most successful humans ever, in a maniacal, greed fueled quest for more and more money. And despite oblitherating the country at the same time, its still no where near enough. The debts explode. We need an ever bigger war machine, to make more money. The realm of idiots. Highly advanced idiots.

From facto's post above.

'Kevin Rudd, who was prime minister during part of the time examined by the Brereton report, said he was “utterly disgusted” by the “flagrant violations” of international law.'

Really? Are we really that stupid?

'“flagrant violations” of international law."'

'Flagrant violations of internation law', are the very championed, enshrined
foundation of this present culture, and our 'great nation' Australia. Ever heard of Terra Nullius? Sorry? Haha, never! Think of the cost!!! Oh yeh, we'll utter the words. 'White man speak with forked tongue', was well earned.

We have to change, and not be afraid to learn from other, much more successful cultures. Its not a crime to make mistakes. Its a crime when those mistakes cause and perpetuate monumental, real damage to others and our planet. Is it really beyond our mental grasp to conceive of a way of life that doesn't need war, and isn't ruled, crippled, hobbled and limited by money? Others have shown its entirely possible. Indigenous Australians, 80,000 years, quite possibly 120,000 years. North Sentinel Islanders, 60,000 years. Its irrefutably doable. You can even overcome ice ages without armies, war, and money.

The conditioned, cretin's mind is cunning, a master of deception. Deception, 'the art of war' is held up high, valued above all else in our culture. The prime marketer. 'On sale now... never to be repeated'.

Sickaz introduced Traditional Indigenous Australian language, because he wanted to help me. He obviously is 'fluent' in it.

Studying Indigenous Australian 'language' ( our word, not theirs) is extremely enlightening, and eye opening. And nothing at all like our understanding of and assigned meanings to 'language'. If you'll open yourself to listen. And feel the planet... communicate, live with it, really feel, really understand its groans?

'Family'... who could forget... 'Traditional Indigenous Australian Cultural Sensitivity'. I want to learn... learn them, some more, because they, not me, need it. This in a positive light is a classic example of two entirely different 'Cultures' interacting. Its like the 'first landing'... which actually wasn't... far from it in fact... on action replay. 'What the fuck are they doing now?' On both sides. Except one side wasn't lying, breaking international law, and planning extermination and genocide, to conceal the lie... and make a few 'quid' along the way.

'Yeah , I'm aware of this Happyas$.

Well aware of the allocations of our tax dollars and who they support.

I actually said that to an indigenous lady that was presenting a course on cultural sensitivity that I attended after she'd laid it on too thickly that Whitey only cares for himself , not even his family, unlike her faultless people....very Upliftesque.

Of course our houses will not be appropriated in this Great Leap Forward .'

https://www.swellnet.com/comment/542822

'Aware'? Traditional Indigenous Australians didn't have a conception of a seperate 'family' like us. The closest thing was 'life'. 'Family meant all around, as all seen and unseen was felt, and thought of as alive, as 'family'. So they genuinely cried watching the attack on their 'Mother', as well as themselves. They had many 'Mothers', many 'Relations'. 80,000 years of conditioning that conditioned to be as one, a part, a living part of all around, life. Our culture is seperatist. Us and them. Me and you. Me and 'it'. We have imposed our 'culture' and 'language' on Indigenous Australians, without making any attempt at all to remotely understand theirs. Many parts of our 'language' even when stretched to the limit, have no likeness to Traditional Indigenous Australian 'language'.

'Please teach me the words!' The actual 'language'. Haha, no, no, not until you really learn about our Cultures' 'life'. How to really communicate with our 'Mother'. Our 'family'. Its very complex, sophisticated, advanced, learning our 'language', how to be One. 80,000 years in the blink of a...

Yeh, yeh, move on, coz that wuz the past aye...

'Wot, huh, you mean them commodities... fucking oil is... and that other lot are... so call in the army!!! We'll get the farkin' economy boomin'... agin'...'

'Housin ya reckon... prices is...'

WWWWOTTTT!!! Treaty, wot's that gonna cost us!!!'

Its a long way to the...

'Oye!!! Ya goin' the wrong farkin' way... again!!!'

billythekid's picture
billythekid's picture
billythekid Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 3:22pm

Only 200 years ago you couldn’t go down the beach for a surf....rather be here now

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 3:54pm

"The sanctimony of VL knows no bounds. He is the voice of authority in these forums as he knows all"
This is how it works Fitzroy. If someone holds an opinion based on absolute falsehoods, they get to express it, and I get to say it's bullshit. That's how the system works.
When blowin makes a racist comment based on completely false statistics, I get call him a racist.
When billythekid expresses his "let the virus rip" opinion, I'm allowed to point to the shit show in the USA and call him an idiot.
Have you ever thought about what type of society tolerates seriously dangerous opinions?
You can call me sanctimonious if you want. It's no skin off my back and it doesn't hurt anyone. I'd rather be called sanctimonious than let the racists and the tin foil hat mob talk absolute shit with zero response. It's called, putting the nutters and scumbags back in their box.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 4:02pm

'Only 200 years ago you couldn’t go down the beach for a surf....rather be here now'

The actual truth of that is, you never know these days. That depends where you live, and what day it is. Globally too.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 4:05pm

"opinion based on absolute falsehoods"? is this still directed at me?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 4:12pm

"This is how it works Fitzroy. If someone holds an opinion based on absolute falsehoods, they get to express it, and I get to say it's bullshit. That's how the system works."
So that would be like when you said you can't get to Indonesia as the borders are closed, you get shot down by several of us due to your ignorance and then you play the victim card and call us bullies?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 4:15pm

I said blowin could not go to Indonesia to go surfing because the borders were closed. Show me again where I was wrong?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 4:22pm

Where you are wrong is, that your view is so black and white you cannot see the grey. You will blindly follow what you are told, that you can't see there are ways around these things. Sure, Blowin couldn't get into Indo for "surfing" , but I very much doubt he would be that dumb to put down that as his reason for travel.
Just because the government says you can't do something, doesn't mean it can't happen. You yourself point out the hypocrisy of the government.
You are so hell bent on shooting Blowin, Indo etc that you can't see outside your tunnel vision.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 5:02pm

'Blowin couldn't get into Indo for "surfing" , but I very much doubt he would be that dumb to put down that as his reason for travel.'

Like this guy?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55011790

Still, nothing out of the ordinary... well... we'd 'have to assume that'... again...

'Flagrant violations of internation law', are the very championed, enshrined
foundation of this present culture, and our 'great nation' Australia. Ever heard of Terra Nullius? Sorry? Haha, never! Think of the cost!!! Oh yeh, we'll utter the words. 'White man speak with forked tongue', was well earned.'

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 5:16pm

"You will blindly follow what you are told"
During a pandemic, I'm happy to listen to the medical experts who don't think international holidays are a wise thing to do.
I'm also guided by a moral compass. When there's 35,000 Australians stranded oversees trying to get home, going on a surf trip is a pretty shitty thing to do to those trying to get back into the country.
Let's just imagine that blowin somehow manages to get to Indonesia, and then he gets stuck because there's no spare seats on commercial flights coming back into the country out of SE Asia (a very real possibility.) I'm willing to bet you a million bucks blowin would be happy to take the last seat ahead of pretty much anyone. Fucking queue jumpers eh!!!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 20 Nov 2020 at 5:20pm

MB, You can bring any comment back to what the white man did against the aboriginals. I love it!