Elite Basketball in the early Eightees .... ( 30 years ago )

southey's picture
southey started the topic in Sunday, 27 Jul 2014 at 6:41pm

Elsewhere there has been talk of elite , super large units that dominated their chosen sport .

Basketball was infantile in this era , in the country in comparison to most sports . It wouldn't even rate a mention until the 90's when the local national competition reached its peak strength . From which since then has struggled , and the only success that the sport in this country has seenlately is more young exports to the strongest competition in America ....

Back to the Eightees though . That's were men were men in the this sport ( non contact ) !!!!
But they had massive men that divided and conquered all in their path , none less that " the General " ...
He , when his coaching is combined with national flags , games played and Olympic representation is far above anyone else ....
Strangely the brakes grind on the homo erotic fairy tale .... The General was Phil Smyth , a 183 cm 76 kg. " monster " of a man .....
He actually did transcend the known barriers of his chosen sport , a couple here may have heard of him ....
Still the weedy midget he was , he still was 1000 times more known for his exploits than one MB. Uplift !!!

Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Sla... Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 10:43pm

I heard there is an ex national level basketball player who has been likened to the great Michael Jordan in his prime hiding out in Port Lincoln somewhere to escape the media attention , could anyone please shed some light onto whether this is in fact the truth or is just an urban myth? Some say he has biceps the size of basketballs and can do 100 push ups using only the hairs on his chin to power his movement! Others say that he is stronger than all the small, minute, lazy top pro surfers on the world tour combined! Is has been whispered that this truly magnificent man also taught Bruce Lee kung-fu, Muhammad Ali how to box and Ayrton Senna how to drive!!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 10:52pm

And Phil used to drive those groupies wild with his comb-over.

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Saturday, 2 Aug 2014 at 8:46am

76kg!? hilarious

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Saturday, 2 Aug 2014 at 9:17am

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Saturday, 2 Aug 2014 at 9:51am

Did you say elite Australian basketballer in the eighties, basketball you say, did anyone actually play basketball in the eighties, that's how you become elite at something when no one else plays it

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 2 Aug 2014 at 4:16pm

I saw the elite Harlem Globe Trotters when they came out here in the early 80's. I'd never heard of the Bramfield Ball Tossers till I read about them on Swellnet?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 2 Aug 2014 at 5:28pm

S.M.Herald site, a nasty basketball injury.....graphic.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 3:06am

Plenty of squawkups been going on, even yorkey’s let out a squeaker from the back of the sandhiils. Here’s the question you asked chicken soufl’e. And seeing how you are all so interested in basketball.

‘Would you care to enlighten us with the names of the Elite club you played Basketball with , or perhaps the elite Coach and Olympic players that played you played alongside ( training doesn't count ) who influenced you .’

Actually good place to start too squwyorky. One of my junior coaches that I mentioned, Olympic coach Keith Miller, was a visionary, and was instrumental in bringing out possibly the first import to play in Australia, in the District, the top SA league. That was Bob Smith, who played for the team that toured with/against the Harlem Globetrotters. He came and played for West Adelaide’s men’s District side, and coached my junior team for a short while. He was really physical, very direct in his style of play, and that rubbed some parents up the wrong way. When some of their kids, the golden boys, were on the sidelines crying (zenny), the politics came in, and he was quickly replaced as coach. As I mentioned, I was coached by many other Olympians, including Alan Hughes, Glenn Marsland as a junior with West Adelaide, Doug Romain as a junior/senior with Glenelg, Mike Dancis for Adelaide Giants, plus NBL coaches Osborne for Noarlunga (formerly Glenelg, but with newly expanded boundaries), Don Shipway for South (when I played with Pearce) plus imports US Ken Edick, Adelaide Giants, (I captained them). I had a short time with Forestville Eagles, when NBL import coach Dean Donnelan, who I wanted to play under had talks with me and wanted me to transfer to them. He left though after arguments with the club, so I went with Adelaide. I played against imports like Ken Richardson, Leroy Loggins, who Hall of Fame coach Brian Kerle lists as 2 of the top players ever to play in Australia. Richardson was offered a chance with Houston in the NBA, but came here. I know Boty Nagy pretty well and as awesome as Richardson was, funny how they gloss over some fairly important concerns. I played with and against all the top players of that era, including the famous and some say best Australian ever, Werner Linde, Olympic Captain Andy Bilcavs, Al Green winner of Australian Professional Sprint events, Phil Smyth, and his brother Dave, one of the other famous Gazes, before Andrew’s time, Mark Gaze, Walt Campbell, Dwayne Nelson, Steve Wallace, Reg Biddings, Sam Krupsky, and St Kilda star, who came to Adelaide, Peter Vittols, when I captained Adelaide. I also played against visiting US colleges.

An import Dennis Curren , once toured the country, drawing packed houses, scoring around 30 pts a game. I played against them, for Adelaide, in front of a full Apollo Stadium, then the best venue in the country and was manned up against him. I held him to 4 or 5 points, anyway he was taken off towards the end of the game. Forestville Manager Jeff Coulls was interested in me playing, which eventually led to the Forestville/Donnelen thing. I was one of a few guys that weight trained, besides the imports, and I could contain guys like Green, who I held to single figures. I always felt much fitter and stronger than say Pearce, or Smythe, who as you say, brilliant skills, and was never worried about manning up on them, and was used by my coaches against them, and at training too, with Pearce. The likes of Campbell, who I also stood, and Wallace were a worry though. Although, one to bring up with Pearce, and one of the best athletes I’ve ever seen, spent a lot of time suspended though, the first guy I ever saw who could do strict, 1 arm chin-ups with ease, was Eddie Murtagh, ‘Tarz’. An absolute machine and an extremely famed bouncer across the country. It was a time when NBL was in the making, which was really SA and VIc top clubs vying for power, and the crap and politics, money and imports/visa issues that went with it. I had always put surfing first, which understandably irked people, as I often took off surfing, sometimes for long stints. Eventually as I said, leaving to live in Elliston. Weights were an issue too.

Anyway that’s a pretty comprehensive, there are others too though, answer to your question. I played with and against the very best players, the players above, of my era, some who are regarded as the best ever.

So, time to back the squawking boys. I suggest this. We get a solicitor to draw up a binding, legal document, where all your squawkups can be held accountable. We put a grand each per challenge in the solicitors account. I’ve kept it low so the squawkers can participate. Every time a squawker calls bullshit on anything above, if I’m crapping, I’ll pay a grand. Boti Nagy should be able to verify everything. If however they are just squawking away, squawking crap, they pay me. We can just give the solicitor our bank details, and he can pay the money directly into my account. The squawkers real names will obviously be signed on the contract, but can be hidden on here, but the alias’s they squawk behind will be listed as proven squawkups.

Chicken Soufl’e, you made a bit of a sly squawk re the photos of that lady I trained. So as above, I say the photos are genuine, I trained her to come 3rd in the first natural body building event she had ever entered. The photos were taken by the photographer we often use at Maisha, in the gym. I was there at the time. Same deal. Wanna back your squawk? Or anyone else? Gee, this is easy money.

Previously you challenged me to provide info re my training, one particular event, then wheedled and grovelled out on a reference surfer Todd Archer gave me, by saying it was bullshit. Same, wanna back your squawk. Or anyone else?

As you have tried to veer off the dodging blacks thing by constant, rampant squawking about me, I’ll post these as well.

When I moved to Elliston and coached the town kids. I have removed the lady’s personal details, as she is dead, and to protect her family from swellnuts. The reference is totally legit, and can easily be proven.

Here’s some training stuff, I have tons if you want. Again, I have edited personal details, but the reference is legit, word for word.

‘To Whom It May Concern:
Michael Bourne has had a great influence on my life over the past year.
I am the player/coach of the A grade Tasman’s football club here in Port Lincoln. Michael has helped me develop the young side I have coming from last on the ladder to getting into the grand final this year. Michael took my players through pre season with weight training work and also sprint work. He also took these guys for sessions throughout the year. I feel that if Michael hadn’t helped then we would not be as fit and successful as we were at the end of the season. The guys really enjoyed doing the sprint and weight sessions with him.
Secondly, I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis, (a form of arthritis) which is felt mostly in my back. I have suffered from this condition for about 5 years now and it gives me a lot of pain at times. Michael has helped me through the condition by showing me ways to strengthen up this area through some different techniques and also introducing me to the TRX suspension trainer. He has helped me strengthen, improve and manage this condition I have.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the training sessions with him and would recommend everyone to go and see him and his techniques with personal training.’
Regards,’

Lincoln league produces many AFL players. They won the Grand Final the year after, one of the young guys, who I also did stuff with at Maisha Fitness, is presently on the new AFL Fox TV show.

Any squawkups that you are prepared to back in the same, money where your mouth is way? Anyone?

Another, professional training reference. Again, only Id has been removed, the reference is unchanged, legit.

'To Whom It May Concern
RE: Michael Bourne
Michael is employed by TAFE SA Regional - Port Lincoln Campus as an Hourly Paid Instructor to deliver the following Unit of Competency:
• SRFGYM 001B
Michael is also employed as a Tutor for ITAS (Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme) for the Certificate 3 Fitness (SRF 40206) with TAFESA Regional. Michael tutors Indigenous students with all the Units of Competencies within the SRF 40206 Training package.
Michael delivers a practical Strength Training program for students completing the Certificate 3 Outdoor Recreation.
Michael has delivered Professional Development to Sport and Recreation lecturers with Strength and Conditioning Training.
Please contact me if you require further information.
Kind Regards'

Any squawkups as above, money where mouths are?

And this one, stuffed knees, etc. Same deal, identity protected from swellnut stalker squawkers.

‘I first met Mick Bourne in June 2010 when he came to work at my community Gym. I am currently studying my cert 3 in fitness and was encouraged by my lecturer to spend some time with Mick.
I considered myself to be fairly fit but was not entirely happy with my body shape and was not seeing a lot of changes considering the amount of time I spent training.
I was doing 4-5 cardio sessions a week and no resistance training. My cardio sessions were long as I compete in sprint triathlons.
I was always trying out different “diets” and weighed myself daily. I love food and the odd wine and although I was training hard I sometimes rewarded myself with food etc and never seemed to get anywhere.
I had knee surgery 4 years ago and was experiencing pain in my knees after long running sessions, after netball and at times would be woken up at night with my knees aching.
Mick taught me the importance of diet and how it was easier to lose weight and make changes through diet rather than exercise. I started to include protein in every meal and to eat 5 smaller meals a day. I also put my scales away for the first time in many years.
Mick gave me a resistance weight training programme to start with and 2 cardio sessions a week.
I have now been working with Mick for nearly 3 months and am starting to see some changes in my shape. I have been able to cut down my training time and am seeing result s in my body shape and my cardio fitness.
My eating habits have changed and I almost feel like I am eating more and enjoy not counting calories, weighing food, counting points etc etc, all I do now is look at the size of my meal and also make sure I have protein, carbs and some fat on my plate.
I have no pain in my knees at any time and also have a lot more time as my workouts and cardio training sessions are ½ the time of what they used to be.’

Money, mouths? Squawkers?

This one is from overseas. As above, the ID has been protected.

'Let this serve as certifications for the work ethic and moral character of Michael Bourne for the purpose of employment or any other purpose as necessary.
My name is ************* a Canadian national. I live in Philippines together with my husband of 10 years and two kids. I started a non-profit organization in 2001 and have been over seeing projects on site ever since.
I have a very busy schedule and never had found a way to incorporate exercise into my daily life. I had heard of Mike’s personal training background and observed his positive effects in the local community where he visited. Michael developed a system similar to TRX training. The local surfer groups are now exercising more diligently focusing on core strength in order to better the way they surf. Michael models what he teaches and I believe because we could see how he chose to eat healthy and exercise it encouraged other men and women to make more effort in their own self-exercise.
I personally took advantage of Mike’s personal training services 2 – 3 times a week because I saw his positive influence in the municipality where I live. He adapted a routine that was easy enough for me to do by myself yet providing a small challenge to increase strength everyday. As I maintained routine in my exercise Mike had the experience to help me each step of the way informing me how my body would respond as I worked a little harder in my programme. It was obvious Mike was passionate about health but also had experience in dietary concerns because he was also able to help me focus on eating better food to achieve the results I wanted.
I am so thankful that Michael Bourne made the time for me to render his services. I would recommend him to anyone serious about getting back into shape. I would also suggest hiring him to help you truly achieve your fitness dreams if you notice a plateau in your weight loss.'

Same, if anyone wants to put their money where their squawks are, I am happy to oblige and prove the authenticity. This one I put, as along the lines of the Otis scenario, whilst remaining hidden and supported, some swellnuts like ambles, openly refer to asians as sluts, underage hoares etc. Which is typical of a squawker. My wife is Asian and runs a successful program for helping underprivileged and homeless kids, via surfing. There have been several documentaries featuring it.
Again if anyone would like to back their mouths, feel free, well, feel free to give me a grand, it will be a quick, simple, somewhat painless bank transfer.

Not that I would doubt someone who charged blacks without ever entering the water. Or who's mates got back to them with info, but then never got back to them. Minor details. And as you have experienced and point out, that Port Augusta turnoff is a real hotspot whenever blacks has a good swell. Drivers literally panic, and in their desperation to speed off in the opposite direction, to miss the turn off so to speak, shit happens. In fact, shit runs everywhere.

And yeh, I deliberately alienate myself from bullshit.

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 10:22am

Ok listen up this man has got your cash possible the most credentialed out of all of us. Is anyone able to top this.
Whilst uplift has got a penchant for machines perhaps in the area of rehab they have their place sounds like he does some good work.
Again Squawkers I think UPLIFT said put up or shut up.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 10:28am

Allied to this, kind of, any inside word Big Lifty if 'obscene' Al Green's night-time proclivities were known before he got busted? Enquiring minds need to know.

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 11:02am

wow... one of your best.
The people around here who get true respect don't go banging on about how good they are or think they used to be or what they have done, they don't need to. You earn respect, no amount of demanding it will ever get it.
Wow, so now we're talking about solicitors and putting money up for false claims? The majority of people on here don't know who you are and don't care, but previously you have made claims and accusations about people on here that are well known to everyone and you have seemingly tried to assassinate their character out of nothing but pure jealousy. You have been found out telling stories or making up stories and then admitting that you weren't even there when the events happened, you were just told by someone else, or your best admission of lying or carelessly belittling someone's character with no proof , by your own words, "well I didn't know who it was, because I didn't recognise you, but someone told me it was you". No credibilty

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 11:06am

That is lovely cursive script.

Sorry Uppity, I played Aussie Rules and Union but I did go to a basketball match once in the late 80's and I did cry from the sidelines.

I went to see the Brisbane Bullets play the Roma Bilbys and because I actually paid for the tickets and because I was bored shitless, well needless to say, when they wouldn't give me a refund, I...I...I can't bring myself to write this. The memories are too painful.

Kudos to you though for winning the Swellnet 500 and for probably writing the longest post that nobody will more than likely ever read in it's entirety.

I love it when I get a mention too- reminds me of those under 7's newsletters where 'Mick got two kicks from the back-pocket and a nice handball, next week is an away game at Sherwood. Mrs. Smith, your turn to bring the oranges and Mrs. Jones, it's your week to wash the jerseys'.

Joel Eugene Sla... Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 2:25pm

I have been following and thoroughly enjoying your antics for some time now uplift and honestly find some of your post very entertaining!

But seriously your great claim to fame is playing in the 'NBL' before it was the NBL for a local Adelaide team of which there were more than 3, I cant imagine there would have been more than 100 basketball players in Adelaide at the time and I'm not sure how many in a team but to be say in the top 60 of 100 basketball players in the state in a sport that barely anyone played hardly makes you an all time great sporting hero, I think it would possibly equate to playing A grade footy in the local competition or possibly SANFL level, hardly an elite athlete.

Also you state that yourself and a chosen few crew from Pt Lincoln/Elliston are absolute hell-men for surfing your local break 'blacks' when everyone else is too scared to even drive to the carpark, while I know that it is a heavy wave, thousands of surfers surf waves just as heavy or heavier such as pipeline, cloudbreak, teahupoo etc every year, making your beloved blacks look like a ripple in the bathtub again whilst you may be a better surfer than the average weekend warrior this does not make you an 'all time' hellman.

While I think you do know your stuff and are probably a great personal trainer every personal trainer that has a website has references of clients similar to yours and many have trained athletes much more famous than todd archer (whoever he is).

Please continue with the hilarious name calling as so on and so forth, but man get a grip and look in the mirror you are not as special as you think you are and your constant self important ego boosting drivel is just embarrassing!

It is all in a bit of fun isn't it mate? You cant be serious? You don't actually believe that you are as important as you make yourself out to be here surely?

sir ambrose bea... Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 2:32pm

how dare you come on here and not know who toddy big load archer is

sir ambrose bea... Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 2:37pm

uPLifT is deadly serious of his importance

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 3:07pm

Uplift, I'm another that finds your posts entertaining and believe you probably do know your shit when it comes to training and fitness etc but as I've said before different sports do require different body types and training programs. Surfers have been slower on the uptake of training programs compared to more mainstream sports but there are certainly quite a few of the ct men and women now doing programs set by sport scientists targeting their specific needs.
Now I know you believe that everybody else is doing it wrongly and you'd be able to set them straight but as others have said, you would be better served if you actually had some high level i.e. CT surfers under your care doing well on the tour as examples of the why your programs are the best and how you have made them elite athletes comparable to the best basketballers in the world. But here's a question for you. Do you think a 7' 105kg athlete i.e. basketballer might not be quite as suited to surf in all conditions as well as a 5'8" 78kg elite surfer might? By all conditions I mean from 1-2' beach breaks to 10-20' reef breaks. I kind of think KS would fit into that mould better than say ( just guessing at basketballers here) Micheal Jordan would. I'd also like to know if a large elite basketball type bloke might not be at a disadvantage in a sport like triathlon where they would be lucky to be 80kg wringing wet?
So uppy get some runs on the board with an athlete you've trained to the elite level in surfing, triathlon, rugby, running, soccer, pole-vault, cycling ,top level basketball, anything at all really before you call on everybody who doubt your creditability. I'm talking world's best competition here not state or district level

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 3:52pm

We or I, I really mean me, I am of equal importance to all, actually none of you even rate I am the best and you should only take notice of well me, Zenagain it would be Uplifting if we all didn't simply follow like a Blindboy, that said if Udo what I do you might look down Southy and see Joel Eugene Slater getting the Sir Ambrose Beachfucker treatment copping it up the Shatners Bassoon, now I've had a Gromfull of the Yorksurfer so I am going to go drop a Grog-an I hope that gets the Seal of approval. How the Wellymon am I going to fit you in, it was easy I just waved my Alakaboo it was at that moment my Wingnut was alerted to the sound of a Straygator sneaking up on me as I was about to pop my Seal and drop another momentous Grog-an

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 3:40pm

Good fishing today.....!
Few more bites ;)

Blinkers haha, yeah thats pretty good.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 3:47pm

Bassoon, I didn't mix outside of basketball with many of the guys, and wouldn't have a clue what green did in his spare time.' There were much more radical, extremely damaging things happening that were never reported, despite convictions though.

That machine thing is a huge topic in training blinkers off. There's a shitload of machines though. And for certain some will cripple you. Some are really valuable though. Again, technique is crucial.

'Surfers have been slower on the uptake of training programs compared to more mainstream sports but there are certainly quite a few of the ct men and women now doing programs set by sport scientists targeting their specific needs.'

Thats actually much, much, much slower. Even now, its really rare to find a surfing publication with comprehensive nutrition, training articles. I value my 40 plus years training experience, its not so common, and neither are my results. If you rate my opinion and experience as so low, what is yours on the same topic then, any results, references etc, and where would you rank yourself then?

Here you go seal. Nothing to do with my opinion, although I have long seen and stated the same.

'Dr. Sheppard has a PhD in Strength Sciences and a long list of accolades and experience. He's coached athletes and teams in the Olympics as well as the NRL, NFL, and AFL. Surfing Australia hired him three years ago to help develop the year and half old facility and to train their nation's top surfers. He also mentors Masters and PhD students that can coach anyone, even non-Australian citizens who want to train like the pros at the center.'

'"Everything we do is based on science and has a purpose and method behind it," said Dr. Sheppard,'

'"Almost every surfer I've ever trained lacks adequate leg strength. They are literally weak in the part of the body that provides some serious propulsion. I think traditionally people have thought strength training meant getting injured or getting heavy, or getting slow, but there's no scientific evidence for any of that. Stronger people get fewer injuries because weak things break. That's just physics.'

Funny how there hasn't been one comment about that here... thank God for boardies!

And the public has long made it clear on their opinion and interest in extremely little, and as quoted from the elite experts, 'weak', and 'inadequate' guys surfing 2 foot waves. Not my words. Just the scientists and experts.

Still squawking ambles and groges... pillars of society. Could you speak up though, or get out from behind the back seat, or at least wind the window down a tiny bit... just comes through as more no finance squawking... again.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 5:26pm
wellymon wrote:

... Blinkers, haha, yeah thats pretty good.

+1, gold ...

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 8:57pm

I got nothing.

Care factor - zero.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 3 Aug 2014 at 11:17pm

Gee Lufty .....

Its no fun winding you up anymore .... its just too easy .

As a Surfer , you make a good trainer .
But I really think you've found your calling in life . You should be a " Guidance counsellor " , impressive CV writing skills , managed to really get the " filler , going ....
If you got paid per word , you might have made as much as it took the Minus $75 / hour you took to write it .
So you trained a few times , with guys that went on to become legends , but at the Critical time . You pulled a " Parko " and quit ..... just think that hulking 6'3 x 100kg frame could of gone on and made a name for yourself . Where Basketball officianado's would have heard of your name .
I honestly think you know your shit about training , I'm just not so sure you know enough of surfing at the highest level . I agree that a few super talented surfers have lacking leg strength . Although I also agree that those that do have stronger legs or frames do better in larger surf ..... I'm just not totally in agreeance that people need to spend large amounts of time in the Gym .
Most balanced , good surfers I know grew up skateboarding , snowboarding , waterskiing etc etc , I think all these cross -overs provide a good grounding in multiple strength foundations and also complement peoples skill levels , and help people break down their techniques . ( Self aware on a biomechanics level ) .
So anyway every word you type we become richer for the hilarity it provides to our dull online experience , and you yourself become more important ( to yourself ) , and less relevant .......
So how come you didn't go on and bank coin in such an elite sport .
Phil is known to many , and surely you with your size could have made your sport such an inspiring ampetheatre for a whole generation of youngsters that would eave AFL , Rugby and even that art like pastime of Surfing ..... But you didn't and left the Spoils to go to " The General " ..... the man mountain he was .....

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 9:22am

Uppy, as I've said, I believe you know about training, nutrition etc but you haven't addressed my question about different body shapes and training regimes for different sports. A lot of tour surfers are training for the sport these days and doing sport specific training under the guidance of very qualified trainers but you are never going to make a champion out someone just training alone(given they can play the sport in question). You're not going to make a champion out of an overly tall person more suited to basketball, especially when it comes to surfing smaller waves no matter how fit or strong they become. They will just not be light enough on their feet and their centre of gravity will be too high but they certainly could hold their own in bigger more powerful surf. Same as you'll never make a champion basketballer out of a 5'4" man no matter how fit he is if he is trying to play against the current sized men in the sport i.e. most well over 6'.
I'm also not the one banging on all the time about how surfers have no elite fitness levels, talking myself up as a hell charger or trying to overtake every thread with my repetitive replies about how great my training is.
For what it's worth I've been involved in numerous sports over 40+ years and have been part of some very good results both nationally and on the world stage but am not about to talk myself up because of it.
If I had been myself or had coached a world champion, Olympic gold medalist or whatever, then maybe I might think that I'm on the right track but until that happens I'll keep my trap shut and listen to what others with the runs on the board have to say in that regard. So what i'm trying to say is get your runs on the board with people you have trained to the elite level, not state basketball back in the 80s, then maybe you'll have more followers rather than doubters. Hey, but keep the posts coming( at times )because they are entertaining and some informative and I usually get some good laughs from others comments to them.

alakaboo's picture
alakaboo's picture
alakaboo Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 2:41pm

Hey Stu
I was sorting through a box of stuff under mum's house and I found a certificate of participation from the Juan Cutillas soccer camp I attended in 1992.
Juan was from Spain and used to coach the Filipino national squad. He said I had potential, so I'd estimate that meant I was the 1573rd best player in the land at the time.

If I scan the certificate and send it to you can I post irrelevant facts about my junior soccer training regime in any thread I like?

I'll admit his penmanship was pretty ordinary, but he once played for Atletico Madrid.
Least that's what his Wikipedia page says, we'd never heard of him either at the time, but he brought lots of oranges and we got a t-shirt and a waterbottle.

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 3:22pm

so I hear old paranoid lifty has been making calls again trying to find out some info.

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 4:20pm

Ahh Seal please use ur google Earl Boykins currently plays for the Denver Nuggets he is 5'5 with a vertical leap of 42'inches or over 1mtr making him more than competitive against players at 6'5 its all in the mind baby some see obstacles in front of them others leap over them

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 4:48pm
alakaboo wrote:

Hey Stu
I was sorting through a box of stuff under mum's house and I found a certificate of participation from the Juan Cutillas soccer camp I attended in 1992.
Juan was from Spain and used to coach the Filipino national squad. He said I had potential, so I'd estimate that meant I was the 1573rd best player in the land at the time.

If I scan the certificate and send it to you can I post irrelevant facts about my junior soccer training regime in any thread I like?

I'll admit his penmanship was pretty ordinary, but he once played for Atletico Madrid.
Least that's what his Wikipedia page says, we'd never heard of him either at the time, but he brought lots of oranges and we got a t-shirt and a waterbottle.

LMFAO

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 4:51pm

Mick, maaaaaaate. Come out from under the table. Put Thomas the Tank Engine down. There's a sport.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 6:17pm

Thanks for the input Blinkers. Shot my argument down in flames in one go and now I'm at a loss on how to explain why a 6'10" basketballer probably won't make it on the ASP CT Tour. Farrk, back to the drawing board for my arguments in this thread!

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 8:36pm

Ok seal sorry about that but this may help you a 6'10 basketballer will never be able to fold himself up inside a 3 foot tube and maintain speed & flow.
Imagine him trying to pump up & down on the face of the wave.
So I agree with part of your argument tall guys just arnt going to cut on the ct although the fuckers could probably out paddle everyone.
It is a sport that best suits a gymnast type body

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 9:27pm

Correct me if I'm wrong lads, but wasn't the great MR over 6 FT tall, now I'm not agreeing that man mountains can rule the asp but there are some special units out there that can perform with the best of them, isn't Jordy on the large size

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 11:18pm

FFS!!!

Owen Wright is 6'2", but youse are all missing the point. Bourne's theories are just that - theories. No fucking proof other than his say so. Stop buying in to the bullshit!

As much as I love our little town, it's not Manhattan. Or Adelaide, even.

There's a reason why Asshat is over here instead of over there. And it ain't cos he loves Blacks.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 11:24pm

Look, I won't bang on about this, and feel that I don't have to explain anything, but, for what its worth, and as i have said, many, many, many times before, I didn't ask to be the center of attention here, I never asked to, or ever wanted to dominate the website. I'm just trying to stay in the background, a big raw boned, good looking, highly trained humble kid. In fact as I have always said, give the others, give the little battlers, the little blokes a shot.

Ok, where to start. groges, its just the Elliston rumour mill, its ok, you'll be ok, turn the car around, turn the lights on, have another snort, and drive back over the border. Again. And could you pick gateless up on the way through.

No Soufl'e,

'I agree that a few super talented surfers have lacking leg strength'

Its actually,

'"Almost every surfer I've ever trained lacks adequate leg strength. They are literally weak in the part of the body that provides some serious propulsion. I think traditionally people have thought strength training meant getting injured or getting heavy, or getting slow, but there's no scientific evidence for any of that. Stronger people get fewer injuries because weak things break. That's just physics.'

Blacks, soufle. I fullfilled my dream.

ala, no you can't, and you stay under mummies house where you belong.

sealed, honestly, pitiful. You squawk for a shot at lifty from the stands, yapping on how you are humbly, nationally ready, so I give you a prelim with one of the rookies, and before I'm even on my way to the arena, you're dropped cold, get the crap publically, nationally, and internationally slapped out of you, fate sealed with one jab. But, nice shot blinkers off. As I've always said, and as has gone in one ear and straight out the other of most of the dimwits here sealed, yourself leading the way, chin first sealed, it all starts in the mind. Its all about the mind. Surfing has no rules, or stipulations, or situations that would prevent a big guy dominating, unlike some sports. Even in one foot waves. Only will and imagination are doing that. But he couldn't get one foot barrelled... gee I wonder if there is anything else he could do? Most of the powers to be in the sport can't even imagine it. A quick look at what's available equipment wise shows there is literally nothing for the big guys. Even on here, bigger, actually normal sized guys have to search high and low to get specially made equipment. Slater's greatest, most cunning triumph is that he has surrounded himself with a flock of brainwashed, quivered, perfectly malleable, sub serviant pip squeaks to rule over. And in total seriousness, who could make the equipment that a truly powerfull elite athlete could use. Especially considering this is, and has long been the unquestionable, expert, scientifically verified, uncommented, status quo. The shaper.

'"Almost every surfer I've ever trained lacks adequate leg strength. They are literally weak in the part of the body that provides some serious propulsion.'

As a trainer, its my job, sometimes an unpopular one sealed, and as you asked me, to do what I know is best... for you. Each is different, and requires a different approach. The zennies, prone to fits of blubbering, need tissues. For you, although you are too thick to understand at the moment, and have probably had a guts full of them, need a good 'spray'.

What kind of piss weak fucking crap was that sealed. You're not at fucking kindy now son. Hand your fucking singlet in, and get out of my fucking sight. Take it on the fucking chin... again, and see how a few months in B fucking grade go. Have a long hard think about what you want, and where you are going son, before you even dream of earning a shot at 'Lifty'. Shut the fuck up, end of fucking story, now fuck off home, and shut the fucking door behind you.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 4 Aug 2014 at 11:41pm

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 12:03am

$1,347,673.49

If bullshit was gold, you, Mick, mate, cobber, bluey, would be called Croesus.

But it's not, so Asshat it is.

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 7:32am

4 world title winners since 1976 over 6 foot
MR 6.0'
Joel Parkinson 6.0'
Andy Irons 6.05'
Shaun Thompson 6.1'
An interesting stat perhaps its worth having the little guy syndrome

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 10:38am

In the past 30 years there has only been 4 world titles won by somebody 6ft or over. 3 of them won by Andy Irons at 6' 1/2" and Joel at 6'. Of the other title winners, 4 were 5'10" the rest 5'9" or less. So that's 26 world titles won by people 5'10" or less in 30 years
The average height of NBA basketball players since 1984, 30years also, is 6'7". (that's only the NBA not world)
What does all this mean, apart from I've got too much time my hands to research this shit?
The chance of turning a person of an elite basketballer's average height ( 6'7") into a world champion surfer (5' 10" and that's being fair on the taller side of the average) is probably next to zero but there could be an exception to the rule if trained by an elite trainer, from a young age, given he's got exceptional surfing talent and if all comps are held in waves over 3ft to give the gangly big units a fair chance.
Of course if those big units (6'7") are provided with boards of suitable size and volume they will be able to match it with the skinny, wimpy, undertrained surfers of the past 30 years if trained to an elite level by an elite trainer in theory. It's only those damned shapers are conspiring to keep the big ,highly trained, elite units of the surfing world from becoming the rightful champions that they are destined to become sometime maybe in the next 30 years ( if they are given the equipment by those pesky shapers).
Oh, and by the way, why would I want a shot at Lifty's title ?
Must have forgotten to shut the fucking door on my way out.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 11:08am

Well then, fuck me! Seal ole boy, if you're gonna use actewel, reel FACTS instead of FACTLIFts, you can take that shit elsewhere. That scientifik anallassus stuff is, well, suss, and don't belong here in banjo country.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 12:21pm

Just because you have been booted back to B grade, I won't desert you sealed.

The actual real facts, that have been totally, actually really avoided, again, and again, and again, are:

Sealed if you really were into your sport, the mind thing would have become obvious. Plenty of truly physically gifted juniors bomb. Never underestimate the power of the mind. Even in the gym it is obvious. Different bodies should out perform others in different exercises. But the mind is the real decider of that. Then though, to the truly interested it goes much deeper, because in talking about the mind, you have to wonder about what it is. Who runs it? The who are you thing. Who thinks, who changes the thought? In any instant, the only thing you can truly have control of is your thoughts, your mind. Thoughts, and imagination are infinite. Some said a four minute mile for instance is scientifically and expertly proven to be impossible, beyond the physical capabilities of a human body, one said it isn't. The one was ridiculed, lambasted etc, but now its commonplace.

Actual facts are thoughts and imagination are infinite.

'Of course if those big units (6'7") are provided with boards of suitable size and volume'

That is a classic, a beautifully shaped, conformed, molded, a pop out, extremely limited use of thought and imagination. The design factors that could suit the truly elite athlete are in actual fact, limitless.

Money, is a huge motivator for elite athletes. As is fame, all that it is. Surfing literally has nothing to offer there at present, in the scale of things.

Its all mind sealed. You should know that.

My friend that helped Meninga, Waugh, Carroll, Cash, amongst hordes of not so famous people, when no one else could, no matter how much money they had spent, world wide, can barely even be found with an internet search. Next to nothing exists about him. Except his results, which literally flew in the face of all the money and experts. Just like this below, beautifully hidden, ignored, avoided at all costs. Never underestimate what humans will do with their minds, and how easy it is to shape others. Like Hitler did. Kamikaze gimps.

Actual facts.

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 12:29pm

Unlike me upift I bet you can type with more than 1 finger on each hand

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 1:05pm

One finger can control a lot of people, even the big boys, ask John Hopoate.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 1:26pm

Yep 100% correct that the major factor contributing to professional sporting success is the mind control of those involved but also ability, fitness, correct equipment, good nutrition, body type and to some degree luck are also factors not to be forgotten. These are all scientific facts proven by sports scientists including your Dr Sheppard who is a very smart man whom is having some great input to surfers in the HPC program.
Some of those surfers are making progress in the CT ranks and will hopefully prove that sport specific training with surfers is the way to go. But of the surfers he is training none are of the size of an elite basketballer which is what your original argument was about. In fact Bede is the tallest at 6'2" so either I'm as thick as you imply or you using your elite basketball background as an example of what an elite athlete should be like is flawed.
I'm also believe surfers have lacked leg and core strength up until the likes of Fanning, Parko and now Melling , Durbridge etc started training in those areas, so it should be, by all accounts, those surfers that go on to dominate, although they are not as tall as what is required by your theory. 6'7" average NBA or 6'6 47/64" at the London Olympics. Re my question on body type more suited to some sports than others but I'm a dimwit remember. (average Olympic male gymnast 5'5 3/4" as another example)
Oh and I know for a fact that some of the surfers that have been doing serious leg and core training have had some quite serious leg injuries of late due to unlucky situations whilst surfing and some flawed technique at training, so being strong is not going to stop injuries from happening, only lessen them.

I'll shut the door on my way out.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 7:20pm

'Yep 100% correct that the major factor contributing to professional sporting success is the mind control of those involved but also ability, fitness, correct equipment, good nutrition, body type and to some degree luck are also factors not to be forgotten. These are all scientific facts proven by sports scientists including your Dr Sheppard who is a very smart man whom is having some great input to surfers in the HPC program.'

Yes that has always been my original argument that you are agreeing with sealer. Although I have used my experience to reach the same conclusions.

So, increasing any of those factors, increases performance, in my experience. And strong to one person, may be, as Dr Shepherd bluntly points out, inadequate and weak to another. Again my experience also. I have also found that it is easy to confuse, or mistake skill for strength. Which can lead to many training pitfalls. Increased strength, which eventually will lead to increased size, is a bonus, not a negative. You want to deal with more force, that is, surf with more control and power, move more water, generate more power, speed, then the increased strength/size is a proven bonus. If all else is equal, the stronger, fitter man will always have the advantage, in an explosive activity like surfing. Ben Johnson wasn't rubbed out for trying to get smaller legs. Or, show me an elite flyweight weightlifter, that can deal successfully with as much force, move as much as fast as an elite heavyweight. You cant. Then all the other arguments start up, the loss of speed, skill, flexibility, blah, blah, blah. Despite, 'Dr Sheppard who is a very smart man', pointing out that, 'traditionally people have thought strength training meant getting injured or getting heavy, or getting slow, but there's no scientific evidence for any of that.' So show me a flyweight boxer that will knock out an elite heavyweight. You can't. Even in sports like judo, where the myth is the little guy will hurl the clumsy, bigger dumbos everywhere, yes, guess what, weight divisions... too much advantage for the bigger guy.

Design equipment that an elite bigger stronger athlete can use his advantage on in surfing, that is use his far greater force and speed generating capacity on, they will excell. Then of course, that means the reality that you are trying to minimise, to downplay, that 'Dr Sheppard who is a very smart man' highlighted. That is, 'stronger people get fewer injuries because weak things break. That's just physics.' Grand prix motors don't last very long.

I've never trained anyone where making them stronger was a disadvantage, including endurance athletes. Balance and injury protection effect them more than most.

Are you comparing the strength of ASP surfers to elite gymnasts? Drugs.

'Uppy, as I've said, I believe you know about training, nutrition etc.'

I know that I do, whatever you believe is irrelevant to me. My results over a far longer time period than most speak for themselves.

Sometimes you discover that the scientists and experts blew it. I ate a couple of dozen eggs a day, a cup of cream, butter, cheese, for years and years. 10 eggs is average now, because I don't train/play as much as then. If I did, I would up it considerably, to be at optimum health. Once at Sports Science Clinic in Adelaide, Mark Williams and Neil Craig asked me about how I got so lean. Life is so much fun. Doctors would tell me how amasing my health was, ask what was I doing, then tell me I was about to die. I've heard all your arguments before sealing, years ago, about all sports. I don't believe you. The guy that coached the footy team in the reference was drafted by the Adelaide Crows. They, with their expertise completely fucked his back, him up. Not me. I regularly fix problems that the experts can't. The people aren't elite athletes, or the queens corgi, so it doesn't rate, except to the people that were fucked, the ones that count. Its at great risk really because I do things that they are sometimes advised not to. But, give a klutz the best tools, and he'll fuck everything up with them. Same with a barbell.

Try opening the door before you attempt entering.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 9:43pm

Door was open, just had to see what was inside.
Hang on a moment, you still haven't explained how being BIGGER and stronger can hold true with all elite sportsmen/women. Stronger, more agile or flexible I can agree with but not bigger/taller unless it's a pure strength sport such as weightlifting, or a height reliant sport such as basketball maybe. Even then some positions require agility more than height.
Power to weight sports like gymnastics require smaller, strong, agile body shapes with a lower centre of gravity otherwise they can't hold their own weight for extended times or perform the quick rotations on the bars etc that big units would struggle with.
Road cyclists are another where it is a disadvantage to be a big unit especially when climbing hills compared to smaller framed, light, fit blokes. What about elite rock climbers? Don't see any big, raw boned heavily muscled units scarpering up sheer cliff faces and overhangs, their fingers couldn't hold the weight.
Same as, unless surf comps are all held in surf with a decent amount of size and power, we are not going to see your examples of basketballer sized 6'7" (average NBA player) winning a world championship anytime soon no matter how much they listen, train and eat your preferred diet with you.
To be an elite sportsman, fit enough and strong enough for a selected sport doesn't mean they have to be a big, egg and protein sucking giant of a man to be at the top of their game unless of course you're surfing at Blacks.
I'm all for sports specific training and utilising diet, training aids, science whatever but you are never going to change the fact that a lot of sports are more suited to smaller body shaped athletes than the the big units that you seem to believe will rule the world.
Oh yeah, Grand Prix motors may break but by christ they sure are a lot faster than a Mack truck, and you don't see too many people going to truck races hey! Funny thing, how many advances in motoring have been because of Grand Prix too. Just a thought.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 10:11pm

Hey Asshat. Tiger Woods called. He needs you. Wants to know if you can do what surgeons who can actually, erm, surge, can't seem to manage. Mal Meninga gave him your number. Although some in the know speculate that he's actually spent too much time in the gym. But what would they know. Just cos they can read words and books n stuff.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 10:23pm

You're saying ASP surfing is an endurance based sport. Mistake one.

I did, but you don't want to see it so you can't. It doesn't matter though. Your choice.

'Stronger, more agile or flexible I can agree with but not bigger/taller unless it's a pure strength sport such as weightlifting.'

Another glaring, fatal mistake, lack of experience. Elite weightlifting is extremely reliant on, 'stronger, more agile or flexible', no matter what the weight class.

'Don't see any big, raw boned heavily muscled units scarpering up sheer cliff faces and overhangs, their fingers couldn't hold the weight.'

How much money do you want to lose on that one? I'm calling your squawk.

Are you really suggesting ASP surfers are as strong and heavily muscled as elite gymnasts? Drugs.

'I'm all for sports specific training'.

I'm not, I have to fix the issues caused by that daily. Tomorrow even, while you are researching and blabbering about stuff.

Never, ever, ever looked inside at blacks and thought, fuck it, sealer's going.

Anyway, keep telling the lack of fans, it should work this year... or the next... or the next. At least you won't have trouble getting a seat.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 10:33pm

Oh yeah, about that blacks thing, don't blame me, I'm innocent, its not my opinion, just another highly esteemed revelation, brought to the surface here by highly respected, expert observation.

'@uplift: I'm enjoying your tales of the carnage that is Blackfellows. It really has re-arranged a few egos over the years! Pity you don't want to reveal the tale of the legendary surfer/shaper big gun. Sounds hilarious! '

The good 'ol days.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 10:41pm
uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 10:46pm

What are you taking for it gateless, its not working. How far from the border are you?

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 11:04pm

"grandiose type (patient believes that he has some great but unrecognized talent or insight, a special identity, knowledge, power, self-worth, or special relationship with someone famous or with God)"

Or with The Fat Controller.