Elite Basketball in the early Eightees .... ( 30 years ago )

southey's picture
southey started the topic in Sunday, 27 Jul 2014 at 6:41pm

Elsewhere there has been talk of elite , super large units that dominated their chosen sport .

Basketball was infantile in this era , in the country in comparison to most sports . It wouldn't even rate a mention until the 90's when the local national competition reached its peak strength . From which since then has struggled , and the only success that the sport in this country has seenlately is more young exports to the strongest competition in America ....

Back to the Eightees though . That's were men were men in the this sport ( non contact ) !!!!
But they had massive men that divided and conquered all in their path , none less that " the General " ...
He , when his coaching is combined with national flags , games played and Olympic representation is far above anyone else ....
Strangely the brakes grind on the homo erotic fairy tale .... The General was Phil Smyth , a 183 cm 76 kg. " monster " of a man .....
He actually did transcend the known barriers of his chosen sport , a couple here may have heard of him ....
Still the weedy midget he was , he still was 1000 times more known for his exploits than one MB. Uplift !!!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 5 Aug 2014 at 11:40pm

Anyway, keep slip streaming big lifty, its what I do, lift you losers to the top. I don't even want to be up here, at the top of the forums pile... again... and again... and again... an again and... I do it for you kooks. Without me, you'd all be blithering about some boring, useless pipsqueaks shit, that might pop up in a forum search if someone accidently stumbled on it. I see you all faltering, little baby legs and steps quivering away, so I just pull out, power away, and drag the whole lot of you fucking losers up here with me.

All so you can be lifty's... just for one day. Father forgive them... fuck'n idiots.

Some body come up with fucking something, take the fucking lead, I'm handing it to you geeks on a plate. I pull in a screamer, a climb up the backs, hanger at full back, single handedly explode, weave and trample my way down to the goal line, shepherd the whole opposition off, shake and bake, and unselfishly, humbly handball to you idiots... only to watch the idiotic fumbles, and ludicrous squawking explanations.

Well, next year for sure, or the next... maybe the next, the world, the cosmos, the galaxy... the universe will once and for all see, beyond all doubt, finally...

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Wednesday, 6 Aug 2014 at 11:16am

I saw that the door was opened, thought I'd take a look and maybe talk to whoever was spending all their time by themselves in their own little world and discuss a few things like adults but unfortunately all I found was a bitter old man who was wrapped up in his own little world and not willing to see what else was in this great big world or think about how his perception at times is distorted.
I have come to realise that some folk just can't see past what has become imbedded in their mind and then take what others have to offer only in part, turn it around, jumble it up and then cry "you don't know nothing I'm the only one who is enlightened, they're all wrong and out to get me and anyhow I'm bigger and stronger than them so I've got to be right, they're all fucking losers and idiots plus I charge blacks." (wherever the fuck that is I don't really care)
So to those who lock themselves away and don't want to listen or see others points of view I say enjoy your own company and when you are willing to be less pig-headed maybe people might warm to you and maybe even welcome you into their lives.
Then I shut the door.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Wednesday, 6 Aug 2014 at 11:26am

Uplift re. rowing: Cheers, I've had one go since talking to you. I'd forgotten how repetitive it is, even laps seems more entertaining as I can do sprints, pull, etc. Anyway, I'll work at it over the next few weeks/months, and that'll probably just be technique. I was using a surfboat rowing technique, knee out, bowed back!

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Wednesday, 6 Aug 2014 at 1:45pm

keep slipstreaming big lifty his backdoor is always open

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Wednesday, 6 Aug 2014 at 6:13pm

Gidday mitchvg, good one. Yeh, perfect the technique, before you go hard. And then, work on keeping it perfect as you tire. It makes you work harder anyway, and is much safer at the same time, teaches mental control under pressure. As for the knee thing, think about those scissor jack, car jacks. When everything is lined up properly, you can lift shitloads time and time again. But get something out of alignment, and they are going to eventually croak, fold over, wear under much less load too. So that style of situation is going to happen to you in sports, ie surfing, etc anyway, but your goal training is just to give your muscles and stuctures the signal, the stimulus to get stronger, to adapt, without injury. As they get stronger, and you feel more confident, you up your skill training repertoire, range, and will deal with uncontrolled situations better anyway. Like deciding to have 4mm thick steel, instead of 2mm in the jack. So training should be to enhance, not injure. Thinking of the jack, it can be seen that if the middle (knee) is out of alignment, then the force either end is too. Right through the body. So then developmental imbalance occurs also. But, you aim to train for balance. The more you evenly beef the jack up, the more all round things it will cope with, before it breaks. Sports will throw all of that at people, in an uncontrolled fashion. But you can beef the structures up in a safe controlled, balanced way. It is the ultimate bungle to injure yourself training, whilst supposedly doing it to be better/fitter.

Then, having got the form ingrained, there are simple ways to improve fitness and recovery. Keep it really simple. All rowing machines have a bit different monitor, but set the machine monitor on manual, or you just need to see speed, usually strokes per minute, and time. Do repeats of 5 minute blocks as a starter. First minute do a speed you think that you could do for ever, say 22 s/m then second minute up it to say 23 s/m, third same, 24 s/m, fourth, 25 s/m, then fifth bit more of a jump, say 27 s/m. Then, back to start, 22 s/m, repeat for 4 - 6 blocks. Set resistance lowish at first. When that is easy, or if you under or overestimated speeds, adjust each by 1 or 2 s/m. So if it gets too easy, you would start on 23 s/m and then finish on 29 s/m. When you are comfortable at high speeds, up the resistance. It teaches you to make efforts, and actively recover, as you also get stronger. When you are really good at that, change it to sprints, followed by recovery. Start easy, maybe 20 sec all out sprint, 2 min recovery, for 20 minutes. Over time increase sprinting time/speed, drop recovery time, but pick up recovery speed slightly. All at lowish resistance, then when thats easy, start over, at increased resistance, and so on. There's heaps of stuff like that that you can do, to again, increase maximum effort whilst minimising active recovery time, improving recovery. The ultimate is then having a partner throw random sprints (resistance too), recovery times/speeds at you. Play your favourite music, make up tracks that keep you pumped. And use your imagination. Exercise it. Invent scenarios. Hope it helps. Never compromise form, perfect it. Most people let their body off the hook inadvertantly, and 'improve' by actually getting slacker, finding little tricks, skills (momentum, leverage) at getting off the hook. Coax your body, not your technique to adapt.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 6:53am
uplift wrote:

Oh dear. Open a new box zenny.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/561984/20140807/sports-illustrated-fittes...

http://www.si.com/edge/photos/2014/08/05/sports-illustrated-fittest-50-a...

mmm ...

I doubt any of them are able to paddle out, catch a wave, stand up and ride it to the beach on anything other than something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/joserouse/Surfing/97World_Record-...

Let alone make it through a heat in the local boardriders

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 8:50am

Oh, c'mon man. Totally subjective and I dare say compiled with a very flawed methodology.

Is it a strange coincidence that the majority of the worlds fittest athletes are North American?

Sorry mate, but you never address the question of body type when put to you time and time again. Put Lebron in a swimming pool, let alone on a surfboard and see how 'elite' he is.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 9:21am

Funny Zen, that you can see the question of body type suitable to different sports, but others ignore, distort facts and flatly refuse that could happen in any world that they inhabit.
Put this Lebron bloke in an Olympic distance triathlon and see how he goes but then put Jonathan Brownlee on the basketball court same result, put them both out at a 1-2ft world tour beachy and I'd back the triathlete any time. (that's assuming that they both can surf hypothetically )
Different folks, different strokes

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 12:58pm

nut, no body cares what you think.

Again your argument is irrelevent Zenny.

The results are:

King James claimed the top spot. According to SI, no other athlete deserves the first place other than Cleveland's prodigal son. He scored a perfect 10 in all four criteria. "James has the build of Malone and the speed and agility of Iverson." For his stamina, James has played a total of 1000 games in 11 seasons averaging 40 minutes per game for his basketball career.

SI said that James is the only athlete who can get away playing other sports and excel in them.

Just in case you missed it.

SI said that James is the only athlete who can get away playing other sports and excel in them.

Or have trouble reading.

What were the surfers scores again?

Control your emotions.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 1:36pm

Jeez, once again. 'SI said that James is the only athlete who can get away playing other sports and excel in them'.

It didn't say the King of Cleveland could get away with playing all other sports, just some. Bo Jackson was the same back in the eighties. Put Bo on a bike, or climb a sheer rock face or swim 1500 metres or give him a squash racket and I dare say he would flounder. LeBron the same.

LeBron is a genetic freak, of course. To say he's the fittest athlete in the world is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Where's the surfers you ask?

Goodness, where's the Decathletes? Where's the martial artists? Where's the gymnasts? (Well one token gymnast and surprise surprise- North American). Put Lebron on the rings, it would almost be comical.

And one more time, please address the issue of somatotype- endomorph, ectomorph and mesomorph.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 1:48pm
uplift wrote:

... SI said that James is the only athlete who can get away playing other sports and excel in them.

Just in case you missed it.

Or have trouble reading.

What were the surfers scores again?

mmm... so "SI" are the gurr's when it comes to surfing hey?

Not for my money ...

This:

"Please name an athlete — any athlete — who’s been the dominant force in their respective sport for a span of two decades? ... Mind you, I’m not talking about somebody who’s hung around the top level for 20 years with a single title or two to show for it. Sports history is rich and thick with lovable legends who’ve endured like Brett Favre, Nolan Ryan, Cal Ripken, even George Foreman. Yet there’s a large chasm between enduring and dominating — as in being the primary gravitational force that others must orbit around ..."

taken from here: http://www.grindtv.com/action-sports/surf/post/could-kelly-slater-be-the...

is a tad more relevant.

While we are at it, I'd take the words of a former world champion surfer:

"I think he’s as good as any sportsman, for sure," Occhilupo said.

taken from here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/knockout-polls/fuel-tv-presenter...

oh, and for good measure have a look at the stat here:

http://www.quiksilver.com.au/blog/kelly-slater-info

uplift wrote:

... no body cares what you think ... Control your emotions.

Maybe it's time to take your own advice?

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 2:04pm

Hmm, seems I must have hit a raw nerve, not even copping abuse anymore.
Zen, do you think all of those athletes would have been tested on the same day, same set of skills, same track, same apparatus , same everything and do you think it was only an over-site to forget to invite decathletes etc or do you think that whoever devised this list as you have said, might be from the US and have a bit of favouritism towards the NBA?
Far be it for me to say that this man is not fit, because obviously he is extremely fit, but to be fair, there would have to be at least 200 of the fittest people from a large cross section of different sports put through the same regimes on the same day to have an honest set of results. Hey, but I'm an fuckin' idiot remember.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 2:42pm

Rhetorical question Seal that we both know the answer to.

And you're not an idiot, trust me. I'm an idiot and you don't even come close;)

sir ambrose bea... Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 2:53pm

on behalf of wingnut eat shit UpLIFt

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 5:39pm

Please excuse me for not answering up till now, I have been rolling around the floor pissing myself... if I read that fucking somatype thing once more... I can imagine, in fact I am beautifully imagining zenelled and unsealed, slumped at the front bar, when one of them puffs up, glances around the bar with with a wisened, Kwai Chang Kane style look, adds a half sneer, and squawks out...

'Its farking somarfarkintypes eh, farkin cunts of things eh! What farkin somaltypes your old boy eh...'

I can barely stand it... stop!

With all your fitness training experience, savvy etc, You guys will no doubt know where this article/studies came from:

'Overall, studies of brothers and sisters have found that genes actually only account for about 20 per cent of the performance, while training and environment determine the other 80 per cent. Furthermore, when mothers and their children - who possess about 50 per cent of the same genes were tested for their VO2 max, only 28 per cent of the variation was attributed to genes, which means 72 per cent of the outcome came down to training and lifestyle influences.

So next time you put your lack of performance (insert here: zennlet, unsealo, ambling, whingenut, etc) down to your parents' bad genes, remeber, while they influence a certain percentage of your outcome, they certainly do not limit you. Elite runners are MADE not BORN.'

Of course, adding this to all the 'studies' and experience re fast twitch, slow twitch enhancement, means anyone can do whatever they put their mind to.

Then, you have Bruce Lipton's work.

I also use my 40 plus years of continual training experience and results.

Who ya training tonite swellnutters? The old boys will get a good flogging... again I'll bet. Powder puffs.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 5:43pm

Fucking 'somatypes', stop! You's have gotta stop, your fucking killing me...

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 6:22pm

FFS, when have I ever said anything about training not being beneficial ?
All anybody wants you to address is the fact that some body types are more suited to certain sports than others and you aren't, with any amount of training, gonna change that fact.
If you can get your supremely fit Lebron James to be competitive in say, a olympic gymnastics parallel bars comp, a olympic distance triathlon, tour de france, climbing a 100 meter rope, 1m springboard diving comp or even a surfing comp in smallish waves well then maybe then we'll all know that to be of above average height and trained to the highest standard is the only way to be successful in all sports according to the all-knowing Uplift and your theory will be proven beyond any reasonable doubt.
The other benefit of this would be that nobody under 6'5" would ever have to compete in sport again thereby saving all those short arses the embarrassment of having their short arses kicked by big units such as our lifty and be breed out of existence in the next 100,000 years.
How fucking stupid of me for not working this shit out before now. Thank you god for letting me see the light at long last.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 6:37pm
uplift wrote:

... So next time you put your lack of performance (insert here: ... whingenut, etc) down to your parents' bad genes, remeber, while they influence a certain percentage of your outcome, they certainly do not limit you. Elite runners are MADE not BORN. ...

I assume by 'whingenut' you are referring to me? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now, uplift, where, please quote, copy and paste for us or even hyperlink to it, where, I have ever mentioned any such thing ... you are somewhat confusing comments by others and attributing them incorrectly. Are you able to see this error and admit to it?

and, while I am going ... you might remember this:

wingnut2443 wrote:

... can you please show me the results from the application of your methods to top tier competitive surfing ...

I posted that over in the Jbay thread, which can you find here: http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/153186

Now, uplift, can you please show me where you have answered that? It seems you have overlooked the very core of the issue and have again resorted to a twisted reply, incorrectly attributing comments to people and overlooking the core information.

On that point, if the SI ranking is to be taken as the benchmark, I find it somewhat bemusing that the #1 person has stats's of:

"1000 games ... 11 seasons ... average 40 mins per game" ... yep, that's the blurb in the video from the 2.22 mark on the SI site, which can you can view here: http://www.si.com/edge/video/2014/08/05/fittest-50-usain-bolt-cristiano-...

Now, how does that compare to Kelly Slater?

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 8:13pm

ok kerfucers does the great Muhammad Ali count he won Olympic gold in 1960 his last world title was 1978 this is for you nut of wingnuts that's 18 years of dominance.
Now uplift and you underrated idiots in this forum yes body type does and always will give you a pre determined advantage to play some sports over others but there will always be anomalies that's what makes the human race so great we have freaks that walk among us that can do the abnormal.
Now as far as surfing goes we are still a relatively under developed sport we are still evolving at the moment it is slightly tilted towards the shorter guys but what is to say that with innovation of boards and training and maybe the asp decides that no events will ever be held in under 4foot of swell the pendulum will be skewed the other way towards bigger guys.
Now fuck those idiots that announced Lebron as the fittest man on earth there based on some stupid index like the BMI what fucken stupid thing to put to print would been better to say that he is the most overpaid.
I want to see him do synchronised swimming or win the limbo dancing at the pub.
And what about mayweather he got a mention a well as if you wouldn't be fit if you had a sponge bath every morning fit for the fucken nut house I say especially if your getting that bath of ya missus everyday for god sake nurse has anyone seen the nurse I want a different nurse with a different sponge everyday.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 8:13pm

Ha ha ha blinkers off will now get bitch slapped by the biggest bitch of all and he will repeat and repeat and repeat and look in the mirror then repeat, but I do agree with you blinkers, there are some freaks among us who do things that they shouldn't be good at, because they have exceptional talent in.a given area

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 9:52pm

'All anybody wants you to address is the fact that some body types are more suited to certain sports than others and you aren't, with any amount of training, gonna change that fact.'

But, the facts, the 'scientific' studies say:

'So next time you put your lack of performance (insert here: zennlet, unsealo, ambling, whingenut, etc) down to your parents' bad genes, remeber, while they influence a certain percentage of your outcome, they certainly do not limit you. Elite runners are MADE not BORN.'

Training can create whatever you want. The mind is the limit, the box... head.

Just in case you missed it, or failed to grasp it, along the lines of,

'you, outside the door there in the 'B' stream, 'unsealing', what does 1 + 3 =?'

'errr FFS I fink its 17 sir?'

'No, you fucking idiot, read it again, 1 + 3 = 4, now for the last time, shut the fucking door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Elite runners are MADE not BORN.'

Ok, now, come back in now resealed, and whingingnut et al. Ambling, here's some colouring books, and tracing paper, go and sit over there, see if you can figure out which end of the pencil to use. Now, Is ASP surfing, explosive or endurance based? Then, seeing as how in surfing, force, power, is transfered through feet, via glutes, quads, back, hamstrings, or core, and seeing as:

'"Almost every surfer I've ever trained lacks adequate leg strength. They are literally weak in the part of the body that provides some serious propulsion. I think traditionally people have thought strength training meant getting injured or getting heavy, or getting slow, but there's no scientific evidence for any of that. Stronger people get fewer injuries because weak things break. That's just physics.'

plus

'So next time you put your lack of performance (insert here: zennlet, unsealo, ambling, whingenut, etc) down to your parents' bad genes, remeber, while they influence a certain percentage of your outcome, they certainly do not limit you. Elite runners are MADE not BORN.'

plus

'King James claimed the top spot. According to SI, no other athlete deserves the first place other than Cleveland's prodigal son. He scored a perfect 10 in all four criteria. "James has the build of Malone and the speed and agility of Iverson." For his stamina, James has played a total of 1000 games in 11 seasons averaging 40 minutes per game for his basketball career.'

plus

Again,

Minus, what were the surfers scores again?

Minus, for what seems like an eternity ASP surfers have been pleading, begging, imploring for fans, and their money,

Minus,

As painfull as the memory is, just grit your teeth and go there and deduct the full implications of the ludicrous, the raging 'dancing with the stars... worst ever performance' on a level playing field fiasco,

Equals... resealer?

Vat vey shouwd awl get weawy, weawy sthmawler and weak and sthtuff and be a thomatiper?

And vat big guyths cant do anyfing?

Vat vere wiwll be wots of money an thtuff.'

If there is life out there, God fucking help us.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 10:10pm

Have I missed something? Are the above posts saying lebron I is the fittest athlete going around? ^^^^

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 10:20pm

Who's Lebron? Can someone explain to me who Lebron is? Uplift? You seem to know something about him?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 10:58pm

Correct me if I'm wrong ....
But I believe " Lebron " was the name of the pretend " hash " baby , out of the movie.
" we're the Millers " !!! Funny movie . Not sure what it has to do with Uplift though ..
Perhaps there is parallels ?!?

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Friday, 8 Aug 2014 at 11:46pm
uplift wrote:

'All anybody wants you to address is the fact that some body types are more suited to certain sports than others and you aren't, with any amount of training, gonna change that fact.'

But, the facts, the 'scientific' studies say:

Training can create whatever you want. The mind is the limit, the box... head.

Just in case you missed it, or failed to grasp it, along the lines of,

'you, outside the door there in the 'B' stream, 'unsealing', what does 1 + 3 =?'

'errr FFS I fink its 17 sir?'

'No, you fucking idiot, read it again, 1 + 3 = 4, now for the last time, shut the fucking door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Elite runners are MADE not BORN.'

Ok, now, come back in now resealed, and whingingnut et al. Ambling, here's some colouring books, and tracing paper, go and sit over there, see if you can figure out which end of the pencil to use. Now, Is ASP surfing, explosive or endurance based? Then, seeing as how in surfing, force, power, is transfered through feet, via glutes, quads, back, hamstrings, or core, and seeing as:

'"Almost every surfer I've ever trained lacks adequate leg strength. They are literally weak in the part of the body that provides some serious propulsion. I think traditionally people have thought strength training meant getting injured or getting heavy, or getting slow, but there's no scientific evidence for any of that. Stronger people get fewer injuries because weak things break. That's just physics.'

plus

plus

'King James claimed the top spot. According to SI, no other athlete deserves the first place other than Cleveland's prodigal son. He scored a perfect 10 in all four criteria. "James has the build of Malone and the speed and agility of Iverson." For his stamina, James has played a total of 1000 games in 11 seasons averaging 40 minutes per game for his basketball career.'

plus

Again,

Minus, what were the surfers scores again?

Minus, for what seems like an eternity ASP surfers have been pleading, begging, imploring for fans, and their money,

Minus,

As painfull as the memory is, just grit your teeth and go there and deduct the full implications of the ludicrous, the raging 'dancing with the stars... worst ever performance' on a level playing field fiasco,

Equals... resealer?

Vat vey shouwd awl get weawy, weawy sthmawler and weak and sthtuff and be a thomatiper?

And vat big guyths cant do anyfing?

Vat vere wiwll be wots of money an thtuff.'

If there is life out there, God fucking help us.

What a fucking tosspot you are. Listen to yourself. You should seek professional help. Really. An embarrassment to humanity.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 9 Aug 2014 at 1:18am

'Listen to yourself... like we all love doing again... and again... and again and again and again and...

Newsflash!!!!!

On behalf of the ASP, we the affiliated swellnuts, would like the following concerns to be promptly dealt with.

Firstly, we demand that our elite athletes, the greatest ever athletes that the world, the cosmos, the galaxy, and the universe have ever seen be placed at the top of the top 50 athletes list.

We also simultaneously request that that our elite athletes, the greatest ever athletes that the world, the cosmos, the galaxy, and the universe have ever seen be placed at the top of the worlds highest paid athletes list.

What's more we demand that you make people watch our elite athletes, the greatest ever athletes that the world, the cosmos, the galaxy, and the universe have ever seen.

Its been recently brought to our attention that the somatype of our elite athletes, the greatest ever athletes that the world, the cosmos, the galaxy, and the universe have ever seen has been ignored, and we request that this discrimination be rectified immediately.

We request that it brought to the public's attention that that our elite athletes, the greatest ever athletes that the world, the cosmos, the galaxy, and the universe have ever seen can kick Lebron James arse.

We would like it to be put on record that we are not pipsqueaks, but are elite athletes, the greatest ever athletes that the world, the cosmos, the galaxy, and the universe have ever seen.

Somebody fucking pay us!!!!

PS, could you please get a really big guy to get lifty for us.

We eagerly await your prompt reply.

Yours sincerely, zennsless, shambles, gateless, whingingnut, chicken soufl'e, squwyorky and drafty... aka swellnuts.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Saturday, 9 Aug 2014 at 5:55am

So SI said, and of course that is with out doubt the only publication in the entire world that would have any idea at all.
Especially because it's all about NFL ,NBA, NHL, MBL, NASCAR to name a few which, correct me if I'm wrong, are all North American sports with the majority not played at a truly international level.
So I guess we should get an Australian, an English or maybe a Chinese publication to pick the worlds fittest athlete from their national sports and see how it stacks up against SI.
Could end up being an Aussie rules footy player, or even a fucken Chinese ping pong player if they get enough people to vote that way.
Elite runners are made not born! Good shit! That's why the majority of olympic 100m mens track runners in the past 40 years are white are they? No hang on they were of African-American heritage, so maybe white men aren't training hard enough. Should go and see lifty and he'll sort that shit out.
No body has every doubted you about training is beneficial , only the broad assumption you make that no surfer could be regarded as an elite athlete and only big guys can be elite athletes especially if of the size of a Basketballer.
Every sport has their elite level participants even fucking darts and they wouldn't be regarded as fit but I bet they'd kick your arse in a game of 501 unless you've been training for that too lifty ( what is your training regime for that sport as a matter of fact?)
So when you can come up with some truly creditable facts and figures that show that only big guys can be regarded as the fittest elite athletes in the entire world ( not just Nth America) then people might take you a little more seriously.
Oh and it's nice to see that your torrent of abuse towards me has at least been continued as I was thinking that I must have hit a nerve or something. Waiting for the next load of distorted crap to be hurled.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 9 Aug 2014 at 8:25am

You know why your list is flawed Uppity? Because of such notable omissions. One in particular and this should relate to you- Another man-mountain Wladimir Klitschko, totally dominates heavy weight boxing across all divisions. 6'6", 110kg, 60 odd wins and 3 losses over a decade and Olympic gold medallist.

But, that's totally irrelevent. It's just a list compiled by Americans to make Americans feel good, because they need to wrap themselves in that flag and shove it down anyones throat that 'we're number 1'.

You my big raw-boned, humble, barrell of humilty friend should be the one on Dancing with the Stars. You're so light on your feet and keep skirting around the one big elephant in the room- DIFFERENT BODY TYPES CAN AND DO EXCEL AT DIFFERENT SPORTS! And it's got very little to do with surfers, or LeBron or whoever. That's the reason there's very few world champion white sprinters, and no black world champion 1500 metre swimmers and no champion gymnasts over about 5'6" or no champion tri-athletes who weigh more than about 70kg. I wish you could at least acknowledge that. Even you great Sharman with your mystical training skills can't turn a 7' tall champion basketballer into a 5' 45kg Kenyan running machine. It's just not possible and you know it.

So I'm going to stop banging my head against a brick wall (read- your thick noggin) because it feels so good when I stop. I'll leave the others to take up this futile exercise.

PS Don't change one silver strand on that loveable little boof-head of yours, the entertainment is priceless.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 9 Aug 2014 at 12:17pm

hey uplift....who are the worlds best long distance runners...and they were born that way??

elite runners are made not born.........are there any whitefellas out there that can run?

looks like a lotta blackfellas do better than ,.....all the rest?

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Saturday, 9 Aug 2014 at 4:49pm

You get a lot of attention lifty I aspire to be you maybe I could be LIFTBLINKERSOFF if I train hard enough
Just trying add some humour.
I know it was poor but I haven't started training yet.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 9 Aug 2014 at 10:11pm

My arms are so big from elite masturbation.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Saturday, 9 Aug 2014 at 10:19pm
uplift wrote:

'PS, could you please get a really big guy to get lifty for us.

Way to miss the point, asshat. As much self-awareness as a railway sleeper. Can't understand why you failed to make it in big-time pro sport. Mystifying.

Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Sla... Sunday, 10 Aug 2014 at 3:51pm

Uplift, I have a serious question for you, please reply in a civilized manner if possible. I am 4'11 and weigh 43 kilos and ever since I was a young boy I have always dreamed of playing footy in the AFL, I know my short stature and low weight will not be a hindrance to this dream as long as I lift heavy weights, so I was wondering how many eggs do you think I would have to eat and how many sets of bicep curls and bench press do you think I would have to do per day to be drafted by an AFL club? This is a serious question please get back to me ASAP!

Joel Eugene Sla... Sunday, 10 Aug 2014 at 3:58pm

Also Uplift my brother is 7'10, weights 250 kg and has always dreamed of being a professional jockey, he wanted me to ask you how many eggs and how many sets of dead lift and squats he should do per day so that one day he can ride a horse to consecutive Melbourne cup victories? He knows that his height and weight will not affect his chances as long as he lifts lots of weights and eats lots of eggs but he is just not quite sure of the correct egg to squat ratio to be a successful jockey!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 10 Aug 2014 at 4:24pm

JESB, sorry there mate but I think you and brother are really pushing shit up hill.
Much advised if you could try out for the 'Imp' off 'Game of Thrones" and your brother could try for the giant that carries the young Stark boy around, much suited I think ;)
Good luck JESB, I hope you and your brother have a great future, best of luck.

Joel Eugene Sla... Sunday, 10 Aug 2014 at 4:42pm
wellymon wrote:

JESB, sorry there mate but I think you and brother are really pushing shit up hill.
Much advised if you could try out for the 'Imp' off 'Game of Thrones" and your brother could try for the giant that carries the young Stark boy around, much suited I think ;)
Good luck JESB, I hope you and your brother have a great future, best of luck.

Welly I know your profile quote says 'nobody ever died of laughter' but I reckon I almost did after reading your comment

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Sunday, 10 Aug 2014 at 7:19pm

Ohh JESB you should still be down south getting the sir ambrose beachfucker treatment copping it up the shatners bassoon with questions like that.
However I do note it has been sometime since you have posted a comment so that would indicate that you may have enjoyed the time down south.
Tell me is taking it up the shatners bassoon all its made out to be.
Have they turned you.
No eggs required.
If you tell your bro your going to shove your head up his arse whilst at the AFL the pair of you will become an unstoppable force on the field.
While at the races if you then tell your bro that you are going to pull your head out of his arse its a case of no horse required. He will run like hell what race cant you win with incentive like that.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 10 Aug 2014 at 7:53pm

'You get a lot of attention lifty'

Good observation blinking. Yet, all I've ever wanted, all I've ever sought and asked for, is a life of lynchy like reclusivationess. But, as you've astutely observed, and become an unwitting part of, being big comes with a price tag.

I've let the galahs settle, and have a little think about things. Even though they don't understand it, the hanging upside down, squawking and flapping and screeching their little heads off, screeching their little hearts out, uncontrolled, frantic flappings, the little hearts pulsating furiously, screeching out for support from the cages down the road does them good, relieves the pressure, trains them to recover. It has uplifted them, made them more alert. Then as they sit and wait, pondering, always attentive, wondering... where's lifty, never quite relaxed, out of no where, another power packed, controlled, athletic, raw boned swoop... just the mere shadow of big lifty triggers the terror of the unknown, the manic, auto screeching and squawkups. Would that be the case if lifty was built like a budgie, built like a pip squeak pro surfer? Of course not.

Massive subject brutuseless. Beautiful examples of the shaping power of environment and patterning, conditioning though. The very facts that the British invaders tried to twist, in order to justify the attempted annihilation of Traditional Indigenous Australians. The same arguments used to justify slavery. The 'genes' make it so. Bullshit at its worst. The same argument Hitler used to pattern his disciples into commiting and enabling mass murder.

The genes are what make all humans human, with slight differences. Its the environment, thinking, the patterning that really shapes the outcome. Endurance can be trained, or untrained, as can be strength, explosiveness, etc. Never underestimate the power of conditioning, and thus the thoughts.

If surfing had some genuine limits, like having to crawl through a piece of garden hose before entering the ocean, then there would be disadvantages in being bigger, and stronger and there would be advantages in being built like the average pro surfer. There are no limits at all like that in surfing.

Again, are you really comparing Dane Reynolds athleticism to an elite gymnast? Raw athleticism can be, and is measured. Don't confuse that with skill. Lebron James' raw athleticism is measurable, and testable. The following is glaring in pro surfing. You don't need science to prove it, although it has.

'Almost every surfer I've ever trained lacks adequate leg strength. They are literally weak in the part of the body that provides some serious propulsion. I think traditionally people have thought strength training meant getting injured or getting heavy, or getting slow, but there's no scientific evidence for any of that. Stronger people get fewer injuries because weak things break. That's just physics.'

Any truly elite athlete, on hearing that, on having that demonstrated, would be consumed to rectify it.

As awesome as Shane Dorian's recent Escondido thing was, he couldn't set his rail. If he was a stronger, heavier, more powerful, quicker, more confident version of himself, he would have done even better, even more amasing, and not fallen down the face. He would have set a rail, just like having the power of a ski enables. Or do you think if he was slower, weaker, lighter, less confident it would have been an advantage? Of course, maybe the equipment would have to be different to accomodate a more athletic Dorian.

You can win a Pipe Masters Final in 5 minutes. Out of that 5, even less is required. Pro surfing is not endurance based. Squwark and screech, and carry on, then think. Get outside of your cages. Grow expand, become big! Fly, and swoop, injury free, with lifty.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 10 Aug 2014 at 8:41pm

Brought to you by the Eddie the Eagle of the surfing world.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 10 Aug 2014 at 8:51pm

Unfortunately for you Lifty . " the galah " has more street cred '. and likability , even mid screech .

Joel Eugene Sla... Monday, 11 Aug 2014 at 12:43am
Blinkers off wrote:

Ohh JESB you should still be down south getting the sir ambrose beachfucker treatment copping it up the shatners bassoon with questions like that.
However I do note it has been sometime since you have posted a comment so that would indicate that you may have enjoyed the time down south.
Tell me is taking it up the shatners bassoon all its made out to be.
Have they turned you.
No eggs required.
If you tell your bro your going to shove your head up his arse whilst at the AFL the pair of you will become an unstoppable force on the field.
While at the races if you then tell your bro that you are going to pull your head out of his arse its a case of no horse required. He will run like hell what race cant you win with incentive like that.

Away, you cut-purse rascal! you filthy bung, away! By this wine, I'll thrust my knife in your mouldy chaps, an you play the saucy cuttle with me. Away, you bottle-ale rascal! you basket-hilt stale juggler, you!

Joel Eugene Sla... Monday, 11 Aug 2014 at 12:47am

Blinkers off, you sir are a knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, super-serviceable finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd, in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pandar, and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Monday, 11 Aug 2014 at 4:50am

WTF ! JESB I have nothing to add after what you've been able to share with us. We'll have to now leave it to Uppy to comment.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Monday, 11 Aug 2014 at 7:08am

I have saved up 2 cents so now Im going to spend it on this thread.

Ulplift, please watch this link
The first link is the son of the great christian fletcher riding a skateboard. "What a skinny weed" I hear you think."how does he generate such speed with sticks like that?"I see the confused look on your face.
The second link is curren caples and greyson fletcher shredding like every top 44 pro surfer dreams about.

My point in showing you these clips is this,

"MODERN" surfing has been taking its lead from skateboarding since comp judges decided it was "ok" to do airs. Proof that a lot of modern comp surfers are sheep with no charisma, I digress.

The ONLY need for big legs in surfing is to be able to absorb bumps from chop at speed. Much like mogul skiing. yay
If you want STYLE , fine tuned board SKILLS and a personality with CHARISMA watch this clip again and then name one big muscled surfer who could possibly be on par to this kid.

One of the reasons uplift the ASP struggles to get people watching is that it is so fuckin boring most of the time to watch unless someone busts a huge air and creates a spectacle. Not many want to watch a dude take a drop on a big wave, its not a sustainable plan.
Big muscled surfers can only DREAM of the skills and style skinny dudes have.
Skinny dudes with skills are paying the ASP bills, not bulk and biceps,
The sooner you realise this the sooner you might stop banging on about muscles being the be all an end all of future pro surfing.

Horses for courses uplift.

And to finish I will give you my favourite quote you might be able to learn from as your extended essays on this site are not going to get you the recognition you crave.

" the older I get, the better I was''

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Monday, 11 Aug 2014 at 7:58am
uplift wrote:

... as they sit and wait, pondering, always attentive, wondering... where's lifty ...

WTF? You ARE kidding, right?

uplift wrote:

... out of no where, another power packed, controlled, athletic, raw boned swoop... just the mere shadow of big lifty triggers the terror of the unknown, the manic ...

OMG ... WTF? Hang on ... sorry. It was said before:

stray-gator_2 wrote:

D-E-L-U-S-I-O-N-A-L D-I-S-O-R-D-E-R

http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/delusional-disorder

uplift, you seriously need help. Please seek mental health assistance immediately. Please.

Joel Eugene Sla... Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 at 1:29am

Come on lifty, don't let wingnut get the last laugh!

Joel Eugene Sla... Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 at 1:27am

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 12:25am

Gee uppity , waiting for summer are you .
But it looks like you've been in the tanning salon again .
Quite funny that your actually a fictional character set on the edge of the
Ocean forever looking out over it.!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bourne

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 1:26am

Get another tatt bad boy, ya getting ya ink done, seein' ya 'accidently' showed us the uvver one.... 'accidently' wiv awl ya uvver badboy shots!!! Your posin' looks deluxe too!

'Aye you won't believe it, look, its a fucking little try hard idiot posing on the roof of his campy twaila in the middle of the fucking desert on his way to the middle of the desert campy gwound!'

What in the flying fuck, are ya thinking up there? No, spare us, we don't need to know that sick, gimpy shit.

'Nithce sthhot take unnuver one boythz, get me new inkth in vis one... thee wot it thays , get vith angwle, I'll point at vat secwet sthign... quickwy get ver cool sthot!!!!'