Best Surf Movie List Ever

rule303's picture
rule303 started the topic in Sunday, 13 Jun 2010 at 7:31am

Storm Riders
Crystal voyager only for the echoes scene at the end.
Billabong surf into summer
Surfers of fortune.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 4:12pm
Blowin wrote:

Here’s a cracker to put away for a viewing over a couple of beers on your weekend. Wipeout at 5:35 is crazy. Some epic pits.

That's a favourite, Blowin. I watch that every month or so to remind myself how pitiful my surfing is. Unreal.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 4:19pm

Where and how to watch Lobotomy?

willibutler's picture
willibutler's picture
willibutler Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 8:03pm
Island Bay wrote:

Where and how to watch Lobotomy?

Volcom live-streamed it for free last week. For the time being its only available via stab premium I think. could have a free release in a month or so

Remigogo's picture
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 8:23pm

Well... a spot has recently been vacated on my top vids shelf and thank you to blowin and udo a PERFECT replacement has been found.

1: Doped Youth
2: Lobotomy
3: Fair bits
4: Lost and running
5: Riding Giants
6: Laird

Remigogo's picture
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 8:36pm

and...
7: Surfs Up
8: Chasing Mavericks
9: Sharks Tale
10: Finding Nemo.
...sorry.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 9:02pm

10.......A stoned surfie dude green turtle, doesn't make "Finding Nemo" a surf movie...
9. Nor does a fish who speaks like Will Smith....
Time to replace em mate....
Morning of the Earth...
Green Iguana

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 9:40pm

dOPED Youth is kinda good.scored it from cashies for about 40cents.
crime converters had a deal,10dvd's=$4!
dunno bout it being nmbr1?
not compared to the greatest true story ever told...Slaters special guest star appearance on bay witch,
and lets not forget Duh North shore!
but me new favourite is Psycho beach party,check it out.
does anyone remember Sigmund the Sea monster?

Remigogo's picture
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 10:20pm

There are people out there who blame swellnet for increasing numbers in the surf. The nerve of em..

Remigogo's picture
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo Friday, 9 Jul 2021 at 10:27pm

Correction..
2: Espinas Grandes.

I stand by my bottom half list. Flat day fun.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 17 Jul 2021 at 4:00pm

Island Bay

&t=1s

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 17 Jul 2021 at 6:53pm

Grazie mille!

Jason Milton's picture
Jason Milton's picture
Jason Milton Saturday, 11 Sep 2021 at 7:50pm

My top three are:

Endless summer 2
Five summer stories
View from a blue moon - John John Florence film.

These guys put "Innermost limits of pure fun" as their no.2. Not sure I agree with that. https://www.beginnersurfgear.com/the-10-best-surf-movies-ever-made/

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 7:41am

Searching for Tom Curren
Wanderjahr - margo movie
Surfers of Fortune
Bunyip Dreaming
GLand 97 Pro
My Eyes Wont Dry
Lost Track North Africa part 2

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 9:35am

Rubber soul (Rip curl): use to love this had the best soundtrack, Celibate Rifles, Exploding white mice, Ed Keupper etc it was more just the vibe that was a big influence on me (Savage cuts 2 was similar) Oh and then there was off course searching for Tom Curren the J-Bay footage and Bawa footage. (i think it was that movie)

Filthy habits (Billabong): Again amazing soundtrack T.S.OL. Social distortion, the Johnnys etc, great surfing the Occy footage is legendary (Surf into summer also good)

Chris Bystrom movies (Blazing boards, Beyond blazing boards, Freeze frame, son of the last surf movie etc) almost docco style and great insight into east coast OZ surfing, especially the Kirra & burleigh footage.

Wave warriors 3 & 4: very USA vibe but the surfing from Christian fletcher was way ahead of anyone at the time.

Indo express: surfing not so great, soundtrack not so great, but great insight into the east side of Indo, still a few waves on it that rarely get shown anywhere else..

Sarges scrap book series: Again awesome soundtrack, raw footage almost reality TV like, great documentation of what pro surfing was in the 90s

Kelly Slater in Black & White= Level of surfing blew us away when it came, surfing was just so far ahead of anything else. (then latter In Color)

Jack McCoy movies(Bunyip dreaming, Green iguana)= Brought a more quality filmmaker quality to things, again Occys sections were always the highlight.

Taylor Steele (movies) not a huge fan of the soundtracks IMHO the whole so cal punk thing hasn't aged well, and the waves weren't real great a lot of the time ad the vids had little soul, but the level of surfing was very high.

The Hole: Pretty much exposed the world to the Mentawais

September sessions: Great movie featuring the Mentawais with a mellow soundtrack

Young guns 2: Again all about the Mentawai's first footage of Green bush and maybe even Rifles

After that it's all such a blur too many to name, lot of good ones that just came with mags etc

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 9:52am

Good summation of vids there Indo.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 10:01am
zenagain wrote:

Good summation of vids there Indo.

Thanks Zen, I actually thought it was a new thread then after posting realised its an old thread, id even commented in, but luckily i hadn't already done a list.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 9:39am

Castles in the Sky, Rastas' surfing in Lakshadweep is sublime and an awesome soundtrack

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 18 Sep 2021 at 2:25pm

I’ve always loved this little section. The pace and cadence of the music, the vibe and the insane technical ability and style of one of the greats. Epic. The off best suits his surfing.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 18 Sep 2021 at 6:04pm

Yes, that was good.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Sep 2021 at 3:50pm

50 seconds of perfection

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 19 Sep 2021 at 4:20pm

Tahiti one is interesting just for the fact you rarely see any other waves from there, looks like a fun little set up.

Gee's boards from that era looks long though.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 19 Sep 2021 at 4:45pm

yeah Blowin Ethan channeling AI .............good clip !

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 19 Sep 2021 at 5:06pm

That Ethan clip was great. Some solid ones in there - that tube at the end was meaty