I heart WOTD

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:07am

The wave of the day does it for me big time. Nice work Steen Barnes , Shaun Anderson and Swellnet.
In one photo you've encompassed everything nice about surfing. If I was a wanker I'd say that it was perfect except for the fact he is in a wetsuit. Which it is , it's perfect .....except for the fact he's in a wetsuit.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:08am

Nothing like being inspired to surf when the ocean resembles a lake.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 7:13am

I heart today's Wave of the Day. What a shot, to see the swell refracting in, barreling and then hitting the deep dead water. So much to look at and admire. Love it!

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 10:08am

I'm with you Craig. I love lineup shots more than anything and that one is really unique!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 11:51am

An empty line up shot trumps all. I do love watching swell lines wrap . A plane ride over any stretch of coast and I'm glued to that window. Pausing for the drinks trolley of course.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 12:05pm

I'll kick old ladies and kids out of the way if it means I get a window seat on a plane ride. Looking at coastal landforms and swell lines from 10,000 feet is exciting no matter what your age. Even just the Aussie East Coast from the Syd-Coolie flight, all those promiment headlands - Crescent Head, Hat Head, Crowdy Head, Lennox Head - giving way to wide sweeping bays to the north. The geographical similarity makes it clear they were formed at the same time and subject to similar forces. Just stare out the window and wonder about the enormity of it all. 

Best trip for mine is flying over the Western Pacific on the way to Pohnpei and seeing the seemingly endless atolls sitting there in the middle of a vast ocean. Potential? Enormous...

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 12:42pm

I've lost track at all the little islands/atolls I've looked at in the WP with no name and seeing the perfect little reef passes with the white water trails and swell lines wondering if anyone has actually got there let alone surf them.

Jimmy Slade's picture
Jimmy Slade's picture
Jimmy Slade Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 1:15pm

Recently flew a domestic flight from central to Male atolls, got to see some of the spots we surfed from above. It was unreal, didn't get the window seat mind you..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 2:57pm

I've admired the coast Esperance East to the nullabor many times from a plane and I've seen some beautiful looking areas. I'm looking at the entrance to the track from the Balladonia end right now and thinking should I ? But it looks like a chance of a bit of rain in a couple of days and there is meant to be some forbidding bogs and salt flats that I'm not keen to chance with our limited food so I'm going to come in from Esperance and do a lap that way after the rain.

Definitely not Indo but maybe a tastey beachie or sly reef to explore . Might even catch a fish on the way.
All this desire from peering out the window of a plane.

At the least the coast looks beautiful from 10kms up.

You've got to love fuel at $2 a litre. Looks like the rivers of gold are still flowing for Balladonia Roadhouse.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 2:55pm
Blowin wrote:

An empty line up shot trumps all. I do love watching swell lines wrap . A plane ride over any stretch of coast and I'm glued to that window. Pausing for the drinks trolley of course.

Never wait for the drinks trolley Blowin;)

Push the service button straight away, or go and sweet talk the Gay male airline attendant at the back, that works a treat.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 3:09pm

How good is sitting in chair with a servant at your fingertips , waiting for you to push that button and dash down the aisle to provide you with another refreshment ? "Would Sir like some salted nuts with his beverage ?" - Why thank you, I think I shall.....
All the while the Earth unfolds below you as you hurtle through space towards an exotic destination. Brings a tear to a mans eye just to think of it it does.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 3:09pm

Salted nuts? Beverages? You make it sound like this stuff is free.

Barely change from a twenty for either when I fly.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 3:34pm

Haha Blowin good work

Stu Qantas after lunchtime and all is at your finger tips for free and more

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 5:43pm
Blowin wrote:

Yeah same.. i had a flight once from Brissy to Bali and we flew along the coast from Rote to Bali, there was a nice swell running and i could pick all the name spots like Nembrala, Lakeys and a lot more.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 5:44pm
fitzroy-21 wrote:

I've lost track at all the little islands/atolls I've looked at in the WP with no name and seeing the perfect little reef passes with the white water trails and swell lines wondering if anyone has actually got there let alone surf them.

Um whats WP?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 5:57pm

Western pacific

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 at 7:21am

Those captions ! You fellas are on fire. Who is responsible ? Give yourself a gentle , deserved pat on the back.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 at 7:31am

That'd be Stu. Yes, he's been in form of late!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 at 2:39pm

Cheers Blowin. I gave myself a metaphorical pat on the back with an extra long session at the point this morning.

On your authorisation of course.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 at 3:32pm

Quality waves ?

My authorisation isn't going to work forever mate. I've heard Ben is spewing at your tardiness and was going to demand your keys to the Swellnet Archival Room. Craig was a voice of reason in his ear apparently.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 at 3:46pm

Blowin wrote:

Quality waves ?

Little bit of south in the wind but enough east in the swell to wrap through the best sections. Coupla barrels and crowd pretty mellow. Got a screamer on my last wave and the local photog say he got the shot. Might look good printed and framed in the Swellnet Archival Room.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 at 4:08pm

Don't hide your light under a bushel Stu. I'm thinking blown up so big it's a floor to ceiling mural behind the secretary in the Swellnet towers foyer( the sexy one that knows you're happily taken but is so enamoured she can't help but flirt, regardless of her billionaire boyfriend ) .

Sounds like you scored......bastard.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 17 Dec 2014 at 8:22am

Great photo. Not massive but looks so fun. It's a cliche, I know, but I'd be happy never turning again if it was a choice between turns and barrels.

" We want to go to pipeline , sure Wiz." As TC and Bryce apply the magic wax. Before Victoria ate the book and ruined the whole deal.... Or did she?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 17 Dec 2014 at 10:08am

Thanks Blowin, was a special couple of sessions with just me and a couple of mates late Saturday and dawn Sunday. It's all you need, eh.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 9:28am

Great photo. Nice and deep. He's still got it.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 9:40am

Is that THE Terry Richardson?

Wow, blast from the past. Yeah, still got it for sure.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 10:49am

Yep, it's Richo. Here he is setting it up:

richo_close_up.jpg

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 10:52am

Nice.

How old would he be now? Early to mid fifties?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 10:58am

58! Woah...

See Warshaw's EOS entry: http://encyclopediaofsurfing.com/entries/richardson-terry

"Richardson was born (1956) and raised in Wollongong. A chronic late bloomer, he didn't begin surfing until age 15, didn't turn pro until 25, and posted his biggest win—at the 1997 Oxbow Masters, a contest for retired world tour pros—at 40."

A few classic Black Rocks waves in the clip too.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 11:05am

I'd love to be surfing that well in my fifties.

Legend!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 9:20pm

I remember the first time I surfed that place. We drove down early and had it to ourselves just about all day until a couple of the locals Ray and another guy came out. We were just about to go when this skinny kid appeared with a couple of mates and just got barrel after barrel. The guy I was with, Glen Brown, was shooting photos for Surfing World so he just set straight back up and took a few. It was Richo of course and I am guessing it was 70 or 71. Great to see him still ripping! If you track the magazine down, I was the inside cover spread!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 22 Jan 2015 at 6:32am

Would love to see that photo of you BB. Any chance you can post it ?

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Sunday, 25 Jan 2015 at 10:11am

WOTD 25/1
Tuesday morning this week I was there!! - scored some great waves as was passing through enzed for 2 days

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Jan 2015 at 11:00am

That definitely trumps car issues in a mining town. Lucky bastard.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 25 Jan 2015 at 8:35pm

Poor Blowin thats what you get for being the travelling slut ;)

Rags pumps for sure big carves saltman, the water moves slower, different style of surfing.
Did you surf Indies that day...?

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 8:38am

Went round to surf indies after a surf at Manu -
Indies had a great shaped section on the inside - outside was a little bumpy - some of the larger sets went all the way thru to Whale Bay - and thats exactly what caught me during my paddle out - 15 minutes of white water later ended up on the inside section of Whale Bay so surfed it for the next 2 hours with 6 - 12 guys out.
Your right just a great feeling driving long turns thru slow moving water but plenty of power - rode a bonzer and it felt perfect

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 10:14am

Awesome stuff Saltman:) What kind of bonzer...?

WOTD 26/1/2015, This photo has got my cosmic psychology stumped....! can anyone explain the photo.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 11:16am

Well Welly, in a cosmic sense, it symbolises a return into the womb, a kind of retrograde rebirthing where the surfer riding inferior equipment realises his folly and returns to his moment of conception to later emerge energised, having cast off the yoke that is binding the wings of his own full potential.

Either that or the go-pro on the nose of his board has captured the moment he's ploughed into the closeout section coming the other way.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jan 2015 at 6:03pm

What about that thing in SA today ! The longer I look at it the bigger it gets.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 7:51am

@ blowin you would think that wave must break often seeing that every month theres more pics of it but theyre all from one day . And marky mathews paddle waimea ! next we'll have eddie aikau getting barrelled at THE right !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 8:07am

Eddie would tow?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 8:53am

I won't be the least bit surprised when Eddie does turn up at the Right, Caml.

After being finally discovered living like Tom Hanks in Castaway on a flyspeck pacific island by some Japanese longline fishermen he's going to have a lot of lost ground to make up when he returns to civilisation.

He'll still be fit as fuck due to surfing everyday on his coconut palm board that he shaped using ancient Hawiian techniques and half a hermit crab shell. Ready to take on everything the modern world has to offer.

Contrary to popular beliefs, Eddie will take up the tow rope with a vengeance . Realising that he's not getting any younger, he'll accept an offer of sponsorship from Red Bull and engage on a whirl wind attempt to surf every quality break that's been discovered throughout the world since his unfortunate stranding.

Like a ripping , modern day Phileas Fogg, Eddie will criss cross the globe in a decal covered Red Bull jet getting pitted, bedding starlets and producing A Grade television as his exploits are documented and broadcast on the FOX network. I assume that Ellen Degenres will be hosting the highlights specials.

Then , like Elvis, the trials and tribulations of constant media attention will lead to a social anxiety disorder and a Red Bull induced heart attack .

But not before he has finally won The Quiksilver In Memory of Eddie Aikau contest at historically large Waimea Bay.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 11:06am

Great photo. The iconic image - the semi-freefall Waimea drop.
1961 or 2015. It does not look much different.

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 4:00pm

@caml and Blowin,

I thought that the boogers who uncovered that spot were going to take it's location " to the grave. "
It seems like, now, every time conditions align there is a film crew ready and waiting.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 4:12pm

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 at 2:19am

Je suis Udo.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 at 3:08am

@zambes thats true the ol le boogie mag

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Friday, 30 Jan 2015 at 8:32pm
wellymon wrote:

Awesome stuff Saltman:) What kind of bonzer...?

6'3" round pin 19.5 wide 2.5 thick - pic in my avatar - home made a couple of years ago
Only get it out when its over 4ft

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 30 Jan 2015 at 8:53pm

Yeah I thought so Saltman,
Nice looking tail on her.
The middle fin looks quite big, bigger than the rest why....?
Been very interested in the bonzers, from some of FR76's posts and some chaps from USA (http://bonzer5.com/boards/)
a mate of mine put me on too...?
Maybe move this to the designo boardie stuff forum, very interested Saltman, always looking at different boards to ride:)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 31 Jan 2015 at 8:51am

Today's WOTD - The Jetty ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 31 Jan 2015 at 10:06am

Uh-huh.