I heart WOTD

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:07am

The wave of the day does it for me big time. Nice work Steen Barnes , Shaun Anderson and Swellnet.
In one photo you've encompassed everything nice about surfing. If I was a wanker I'd say that it was perfect except for the fact he is in a wetsuit. Which it is , it's perfect .....except for the fact he's in a wetsuit.

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 11:47am

WhatdiyathinkI'mgoingtogoiggyslops:)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 11:59am

oh no.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 12:04pm

Thatssimilartowhatyour Mumsaidtome after you.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 6 Apr 2016 at 5:36pm

I heart wave of the day, one unique beach break that breaks with refraction and of course bathymetry.
As well as the ever persistent SW-WSW winds;)

Many a days spent here by myself not a soul around, just hoping that another surfer would rock up and share the joy.

Most favourite beach break in En Zed.
Liberties are plentiful if you know where to look, after the faces in the cliff come alive;)
Grassie camping with no bities.
Many waves a stones throw.

Yeeewww

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 6 Apr 2016 at 6:35pm

Yeah looks like a really magic area Welly! One to tick off!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 6 Apr 2016 at 6:42pm

Been awhile since visiting the spot Craig, brings back awesome memories;)
I can't remember that "Swellnet" sign on top of the cliff tho?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 6 Apr 2016 at 6:44pm

Haha, perfectly poised and positioned.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Wednesday, 13 Apr 2016 at 7:06pm

Yep agreed fong. Either that image was perfect timing or he has incredible style holding that line without rolling back over his inside shoulder.

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Thursday, 14 Apr 2016 at 7:29pm

Had to google Derek Rabelo to understand why everyone in the lineup was so fixated on him........ Mind blown!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 14 Apr 2016 at 7:52pm
grufnut wrote:

Had to google Derek Rabelo to understand why everyone in the lineup was so fixated on him........ Mind blown!

Unbelievable! Now the photo makes sense.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 8:36am

Very impressive. Well done.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 3:26pm

Thumper of a wave....tricky shot to get with a half dozen skis buzzing the lineup.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 3:31pm

It's disapointing . Any caption ruins it . There's only one spot like that fitting that description . And i'm tipping there will be ALOT more ski's when people figure it out .

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 3:34pm

It ain't where you think it is, Southey.

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:13pm

Why would you even run that shot

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:19pm

Why? Because it's a fantastic surf shot, taken by a great photographer. And without any landmarks in the photo (headlands, reefs, points), it's essentially just another right hand reefbreak.  

Just because the wave resembles another location that is sensitive, does that mean that we can't run it?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:20pm

southey wrote:

It's disapointing . Any caption ruins it . There's only one spot like that fitting that description . And i'm tipping there will be ALOT more ski's when people figure it out .

So now we cant run shots because they look like other waves??

This gets more ridiculous by the week.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:22pm

Fear not fellas.

I'm a covetous Blowin that churns through online posts attempting to find new waves and I have no idea which wave this is.

If you don't know you won't learn from this picture.

If you do know, then you're a lucky bugger and I'll be your best friend if you'd like.

I've got beer !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:27pm

Just between you and me Blowin that there image is a bit of photographic fools gold.

Stick with beer. I am.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:31pm
wellymon wrote:

I heart wave of the day, one unique beach break that breaks with refraction and of course bathymetry.
As well as the ever persistent SW-WSW winds;)

Many a days spent here by myself not a soul around, just hoping that another surfer would rock up and share the joy.

Most favourite beach break in En Zed.
Liberties are plentiful if you know where to look, after the faces in the cliff come alive;)
Grassie camping with no bities.
Many waves a stones throw.

Yeeewww

You lucky bugger welly, this looks like a lot of fun...

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:31pm

Yep, I can't work it out either. But Southey's put up the challenge so I guess I'll start hunting (or trawling; same shit).

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:38pm
roger-ramjet wrote:

GT - you must be joking......insty is the exposure problem on your coast.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:41pm
udo wrote:
roger-ramjet wrote:

quiet often you can get a good idea where a wave is by checking a photogs insta page, and doing a bit of snooping

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:45pm
udo wrote:
roger-ramjet wrote:

Hey Udo , does that still make it okay ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 5:02pm

C'mon Southey, don't avoid my question. 

If a photo of a wave resembles another location that is sensitive, does that mean that we can't run that photo?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 5:13pm

Could be one of five or more waves on that coast
could also be a pic of one or two on Sheepys coast

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 6:54pm

I can save you all the snooping. It's Dunny Block at Ocean Grove

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 9:16pm

Stu & Ben
I'm not convinced , it's not a sensitive spot . The fact you didn't give any hints to its region says to me that you recognise this . And also knew what a great image it is . ( commercially ) We'll leave any more talk of said wave at that .
But in saying that , what I think doesn't count and only you and Stu can do what you want .
I and others don't have to like it , and we sure as hell don't have to be belittled for questioning it . ( Stu )
For some reason I get the feeling that you and Craig understand my stance being from SA . But Stu refuses to grasp the concept . And .
That either means that you guys are wary of blowback in your home state , or Stu couldn't care less as he doesn't have to face as many family and fiends that could be opposed in his view ?
Or I'm just a troll that deserves to be put in his place ?!?
Maybe I'm jealous , but I'm not alone as even some perpetually barrelled missed out .

I can tell everyone quite clearly that Instagram and the people going nuts on it be it shameless self promotion or literal income /revenue raising are walking on thin ice . I'm not anti Instagram , and clearly not anti you guys . I do participate in both , and I do enjoy the arty side of IG .

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 9:42pm

Jeez mate, you're turning this into something it's not. And for the record, Stu was away today and didn't source nor publish the image.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 9:57pm

Southey narrows it down from Southern Australia to South Australia. Thanks!!
Victor Harbor?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 10:22pm
thermalben wrote:

Why? Because it's a fantastic surf shot, taken by a great photographer. And without any landmarks in the photo (headlands, reefs, points), it's essentially just another right hand reefbreak.  

Just because the wave resembles another location that is sensitive, does that mean that we can't run it?

If that's the case, why not just make the captions more vague. Like "somewhere in Australia". ?

Or is it just a case of if ya can't beat em, join em. You know, everyone else is doing it, why can't we?.......

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 10:23pm

I didn't say that wally . I said that ben and craig grew up in locations like SA that used to keep a good secret . That was my inference , on their understanding of that culture which is also prevalent in some parts of all the other southern states ( including SNSW) . . I won't be drawn on the wave . Ben might want to check that his source isn't lieing .
Stu may not have been involved , but he chimed I like he had !?! Atleast that way you could have used him as 'scape goat . Udo's said heaps more than me on its location and he's wrong on both accounts

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 10:35pm

I didn't think this conversation could get any weirder, but it has. 

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 10:49pm
thermalben wrote:

C'mon Southey, don't avoid my question. 

If a photo of a wave resembles another location that is sensitive, does that mean that we can't run that photo?

It's Friday night , what would you expect .....
U asked for another response . I did . Then wally tried to twist my answer as being the Devils advocate .
Ben if I didn't trust your ethics , I wouldn't associate with this site . But it doesn't mean I can't question it from time to time . Stu only wants to hear from guys that want to suck his dick . Heaven forbid if I refuse . I'm sure there are others that don't want to give a discussion like this air . Any waves in particular I agree , but discussing any words associated to images is fair game in my mind .

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 10:52pm

Hey rabbits ,
Is that Mary cove , green island or fish hook bay ?

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 12:19am

I agree with ya southee, schtoo is a tool

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 1:18am

I wasn't implying that he's a tool . Just that sometimes his shit don't stink . Haha

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 7:12am

Can we keep the personal attacks out of this? You're way off the mark.

Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 7:33am
adam12 wrote:

I can save you all the snooping. It's Dunny Block at Ocean Grove

Ahh the memories

Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 8:00am
southey wrote:

Stu & Ben
I'm not convinced , it's not a sensitive spot . The fact you didn't give any hints to its region says to me that you recognise this . And also knew what a great image it is . ( commercially ) We'll leave any more talk of said wave at that .
But in saying that , what I think doesn't count and only you and Stu can do what you want .
I and others don't have to like it , and we sure as hell don't have to be belittled for questioning it . ( Stu )
For some reason I get the feeling that you and Craig understand my stance being from SA . But Stu refuses to grasp the concept . And .
That either means that you guys are wary of blowback in your home state , or Stu couldn't care less as he doesn't have to face as many family and fiends that could be opposed in his view ?
Or I'm just a troll that deserves to be put in his place ?!?
Maybe I'm jealous , but I'm not alone as even some perpetually barrelled missed out .

I can tell everyone quite clearly that Instagram and the people going nuts on it be it shameless self promotion or literal income /revenue raising are walking on thin ice . I'm not anti Instagram , and clearly not anti you guys . I do participate in both , and I do enjoy the arty side of IG .

Your a hater southy a hater.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 8:17am

People getting upset because Lennox is named in a video, Double Island Point is apparently a secret spot, now people are upset because a wave that no one has any idea of it's location other than the state are upset about because it looks like another wave.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 8:41am

geez Southey mate the more you rant and rave about this spot the more people want to know,in fact you gave away a clue yourself so mate chill out.......anyway we all know now thanks to adam12 where it is ...dunny block ocean grove.....haha

Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 9:03am

stop hating the haters you blokes, love the haters, meet you behind the dunny block at 11am ;)

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 9:04am
southey wrote:

Hey rabbits ,
Is that Mary cove , green island or fish hook bay ?

Green Island & my brothers's UFO 34. Good times :)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 9:07am

Rabbits68 wrote:
thermalben wrote:

If that's the case, why not just make the captions more vague. Like "somewhere in Australia". ? Or is it just a case of if ya can't beat em, join em. You know, everyone else is doing it, why can't we?.......

Are you fucken tripping Rabs?

The caption said 'southern Australia', meaning anywhere from Cape Leeuwin to Wilsons Prom. What's that, 5,000 kms of coast? Is that not vague enough..?

It was Southey that came along and started throwing down the clues.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 10:46am
stunet wrote:

Rabbits68 wrote:
thermalben wrote:

If that's the case, why not just make the captions more vague. Like "somewhere in Australia". ? Or is it just a case of if ya can't beat em, join em. You know, everyone else is doing it, why can't we?.......

Are you fucken tripping Rabs?

The caption said 'southern Australia', meaning anywhere from Cape Leeuwin to Wilsons Prom. What's that, 5,000 kms of coast? Is that not vague enough..?

It was Southey that came along and started throwing down the clues.

Haha! Nah my trippin days are done :)

I suppose my point was, in relation to that pic/caption, why not "Indo style Downunder" or similar. I agree "Southern Australia" is also general. Maybe WOTD photos should just do the talking themselves, without captions. I admit that some of the captions are quite clever but also cryptic clues of said spot at times.

The irony of these discussions is that it also highlights said spots which is not lost on me either. Carry on :)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 11:07am

Initially I actually accidentally read it as South Australia...god "Southern Australia" is even more vague, could be anywhere in SA, VIC, Tassie, even South Coast NSW, no land marks, no other clues.

But looks like we have narrowed it down to SA, a quick look on the photographers FB page shows they are from that area.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 11:22am

Haha I know guy's that are the same love too think they know where every wave is, when it's best ,cryptic jargon, defender's of sensitive surf area's good on them it's their thing like some sort of OCD.Most are average surfer's.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 12:48pm

Apparently the wotd pic in question is not what some initially were thinking
I think that naming a picture as southern Australia puts the chances of it being SA at 90% or more .
I dont agree with the majorities way of having to name every break or give hints that are so easily traced by way of instagram or previous work etc
3 cent donation there !

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 1:02pm

Okay I lost a post this morning due to it timing out .
Apparently my first post was reactionary and incorrect .
This has not been relayed by SN , but a third party .
As Rabbits posted , I questioned the caption .
I have upset Stu and for that I'm sorry .
I didn't mean it as personal and my lost post this morning was going to point this out?
It was meerly a noted point of how other discussions within this medium . ( this was more a hey mate , I think you sometimes react to easily /fast /harsh to someone with an opposing view ) . [ the upshot of this is you have a pulse and strong reflexes ] ;-)
I never accused anyone at Swellnet as being unethical or anything as such . This is the Forum section and I presume where we discuss the WOTD , not necessarily the actual wave . Maybe the image itself or in my case the caption .
I'm probably in no place to convince anyone else at this point in time to tell others to chill on these guys , as we do owe them a deep gratitude for creating such a site that gives ( well below avg surfers : like myself [ thanks for the reminder FG ] ) a platform to share ideas and thoughts .

So I was discussing the need for captions on a purely visual performance !
I have a real sensitivity to jetski's and boats from long ago watching countless waves get fucked by their wakes . So it's got me fucked why you would use one when you can walk and paddle somewhere . Obviously if you are towing/accessing if its big then that's another category .
Anyway thanks to everyone for pointing out that I'm shooting my own cause in the foot by purely bringing it up . Like rabs, this is not lost on me . But no I didn't say anything about the location of the wave , the reference was to the origin of the SN boys and the culture. Udo I wouldn't have posted anything if you hadn't . (Why because I'm lazy , under the pump and excited about what the rest of the year has installed for us in the way of weather . )
Anyone also leading on knows where it is and so decided to blame me .
It's okay I'm now used to being attacked in here , Infact it feels weird if I don't once a week .

I also needed to add . Just like FB , IG .... I don't understand why words of any descriptive kind have to accompany images . If it's pure imagery art then the photo can speak for itself . I just thought why bother make WOTD different . Oh and camel nailed what I've privately now discussed with Ben and Stu .
Thanks for indulging me . I think I also need a holiday from here .