Vegan life is woke. I love vegans.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill started the topic in Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 12:38pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 5:38pm

@Hutchy,

Once again, it's all me misrepresenting your posts? So why then do you attract so much ire..?

Have you noticed that?

If you don't like the content, or don't like the political stance, then please leave. Your browbeating and sanctimony won't be missed.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 5:39pm

Apologies for temporarily derailing a good thread...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 5:40pm

Back on the vegan thing, i have no idea how people do it, I've been trying to cut down on just eating the bad bits of meat like chicken skin, or the fat of beef or pork just to watch my cholesterol etc, but it's so hard it just taste so good/

I know vegan food taste good i like a dish with tofu and tempe etc and love vegetables and fruits etc, but its crazy how people could live life without things like spare ribs, or roast chicken, or a steak or bacon, or hot dogs, or KFC or just eggs or honey...its kind of depressing just thinking about it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 5:45pm
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:08pm
stunet wrote:

Apologies for temporarily derailing a good thread...

Anything for a good cause.:)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:09pm

Top 5 international cuisines.

Non debatable. Conclusive. Unless you mention something delicious I’ve forgotten. Not in any particular order but sort of in a particular order.

1/ Indonesian
2/ Thai
3/ Clean Aussie
4/ Mexican
5/ Japanese

Bonus cuisine
6/ Takeaway - Pizza, Aussie bakery, Aussie pub.

Beverages-Water, coconut water , beer, beer. Beer.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:22pm

“ but its crazy how people could live life without things like spare ribs, or roast chicken, or a steak or bacon, or hot dogs, or KFC ...its kind of depressing just thinking about it.“

Haven’t had any of those things since mid 2009. Can still taste them. Don’t miss them. Never say never but I can’t ever imagine I’ll be hitting up Kentucky duck anytime soon. I remember how good that first bite tasted and then how putrid I’d feel by the end of it.

Thank Christ I ditched that shit when I was younger. Full fork in the road moment that one. It’s hard maintaining decent health as you age without the wonderous mystery chemicals found within your average hotdog.

Quick quiz: What’s the most repulsive food you can think of?

I’d have to volunteer the Gogo franks at Ngurah Ri Airport Bali. Watching them suspended in that grey liquid is fucken enthralling. They fully look like something you’d see in Buffalo Bill’s basement as Clarice Starling found it.

Bucket of flayed and boiled micro cocks anyone?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:36pm

I eat some vegan frozen meals a few times a week and they are tasty as anything..and my taste buds have dissappeared in the last ten years, i think due to smoking- cant taste chicken crimpys that much any more..anyway if you're a bad cook like me and want to eat healthy, and also hate washing up eat super natural meals from coles or woolies..only $4 each, have one or two packs a day and you''ll get healthy as can be..i lost 13kilos over winter due to eating one a day with some diet pills also but since being off the diet pills i havent gained more than a kilo. Which was 2-3 months ago.
Anyway i recomend the meals for conveniance and taste and health. They are good shit.

Also blowin i remember you asked about why i only shit 2 times a week i think it was my diet pills as now im off them i shit twice a day.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm

Balut
Have not eaten it..but watched a mate one chow down....no fkn way !

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:43pm
Blowin wrote:

Top 5 international cuisines.

Non debatable. Conclusive. Unless you mention something delicious I’ve forgotten. Not in any particular order but sort of in a particular order.

1/ Indonesian
2/ Thai
3/ Clean Aussie
4/ Mexican
5/ Japanese

Bonus cuisine
6/ Takeaway - Pizza, Aussie bakery, Aussie pub.

Beverages-Water, coconut water , beer, beer. Beer.

1. Japanese
2. French normal…the stuff eaten daily.
3. Greek / Mediterranean
4. Spanish
5. Italian

Bonus
6. Chinese/indian/mexican tie.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:47pm

Hoya or sea cucumber. Nothing else comes close to how disgusting this thing tasted.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:48pm

I only go vegetarian if I can't get or run out of meat. I just simply couldn't imagine going with out it for too long. Not knocking those who can or do , but not me. I don't go near KFC , Maccas or any of that type of shit. I don't buy meat from Woolies or Coles etc either , only from quality butchers.

Anyway , an amusing Lamb add with a covid lockdown twist........

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:50pm
udo wrote:

Ketos the go
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC70SrI3VkT1MXALRtf0pcHg

I have to agree udo , I lost 25kg after blowing out doing the fifo thing , couldn’t jump to my feet quick enough and was getting flogged lol . Love the high fat low carb keto diet and feel and have been told I look 10 years younger .plus plenty of energy. When I was diagnosed with AF my dr said a keto diet would only help and was all for it . I don’t count the carbs in veggies and only eat above ground ones , plenty of leafy greens. I never get sick of fish like salmon, sardines and mackerel etc . Also do a 48 hour fast once a month. Giving the grog away was also probably best thing for me , couldn’t handle the 3 day hangover , even after one bottle of red . Each to their own though and I love red meat once a week .

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:55pm

Eating less meat and bread is one of best things I've done. Was more of a mindset than anything else. I just need to cut sugars down, being fodmap aware really helps. I have a sweet tooth so find this a struggle.

I would love to never buy supermarket or butcher shop meat again…mainly due to ethical reasons. Animal welfare and the whole abattoir killing industry is pretty bad imo, that said, I am more than happy to hunt my own wild game meat and raise animals for my own consumption.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:56pm

Id go

1. Indian
2. Thai
3. Japanese
4. Dirty Aussie
5. Middle eastern

Get a bit sick of Indonesian as eat it so much...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:57pm
udo wrote:

Balut
Have not eaten it..but watched a mate one chow down....no fkn way !

I’ve knocked down a few Balut in the Philippines. Gnarly.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:58pm

Supa your monthly fast of 48hrs puts you into Ketosis....good stuff .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:03pm

Indian!

Knew I’d forgotten one of the essential food groups. Never tried French. Had minimal Spanish….hmmm paella! Italian is tasty but geez pasta can blow you out.

A food tour of Europe would be pretty good actually.

Googled Balut….hardcore.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:06pm

Hoya. Sea pineapple in English, not cucumber as I previously stated.

MartinNow's picture
MartinNow's picture
MartinNow Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:10pm

Human dentition - type and arrangement of teeth - clearly shows we have evolved to be omnivores, Bit of rip and tear, bit of crunch, munch and grind.

Vegans and vegos are great - bit of butter, salt and pepper.

Crunchy peanut butter on grainy toast.

Slurp a bit of mango.

Juices running down my chin..

Omnivorous is not a sin.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:15pm

Autophagy , one of the benefits from fasting.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm

I've never seen Hoya before. My wife has but she's never tried it. Sea cucumber isn't so bad, quite innocuous- they call it 'namaco' here.

My top five:-

Mum's
Japanese
Italian/Mediterranean
Chinese
Thai

Bonus:- Korean and Middle Eastern

I've eaten some pretty crazy stuff over the years but one thing I can't stomach is this little Japanese delicacy- 'Shiokara'. Basically salted and fermented guts of various seafood, usually squid. Visually unappealing and the taste is what could mildly be called- acquired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiokara

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:36pm

Regards Balut, they do the same in Vietnam. Hot vit lon I believe they call it there. Went looking for it, couldn't find it. Always wanted to try just so I could say I've done it.

I ate Civet curry in Laos years back. It was nice.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:44pm

A couple of decades ago I was in a Japanese restaurant in Bali and felt like trying something different . Jellyfish was on the entree menu and I thought why not . It was shaped like a doughnut and dipped in breadcrumbs and deep fried . The texture was like mousse and had absolutely zero taste , nothing , zip , I had to cover it in chilli sauce to taste something. Very disappointing but at least I tried it ……once.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:46pm

Experience depends on the age of the egg / foetus Zen. Early ones are like a chewy egg yolk with crunchy bits. Late harvest are a totally different proposition. Legs, feathers and…. Beaks! Washed down with a few Red Horse and ne’er a backwards step.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm

I had beef kneecap in Padang. Or at least I think that’s what it was. That was the vibe from my shitty Bahasa.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 7:58pm

I'm still up for it Eta. On my bucket list (as in need to have a bucket present)

Jellyfish is all about texture- nice with a beer.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 8:10pm

I’ve eaten Whale and giant clam…Whale was Ok, claim was pretty tasteless and the texture was like the grisly bit you get in a mussel that holds the meat to the shell.
Also had fugu (puffer fish), which was eating with anticipation of death. An interesting experience. Probably would not eat it now if offered.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 8:14pm

The future of food?

http://www.fao.org/edible-insects/en/

Have eaten some kind of fried bugs in Sri Lanka, just remember them being crunchy (mind you, I was loaded up on coconut arrack)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 8:58pm

I've had whale a few times.

Just the other night I ate raw horse (basashi niku).

Not big on that.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 7:59am

Id love to give whale a try, puffer fish is pretty full on.

Most out there ive done is dog meat and cobra (brought out live and killed and skinned in front of me)

They eat pretty much every part of the animal in Indo, even beef skin, and chicken feet and chickens head, feet are crap but the head is actually alright deep fried.

My father inlay once found a nest of just born baby mice and ate a couple live dipped in soy sauce, apparently thought it made him strong for sex, Indonesians seem to think that about any weird food.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 8:08am

https://m.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 9:57am
indo-dreaming wrote:

Id love to give whale a try, puffer fish is pretty full on.

Most out there ive done is dog meat and cobra (brought out live and killed and skinned in front of me)

They eat pretty much every part of the animal in Indo, even beef skin, and chicken feet and chickens head, feet are crap but the head is actually alright deep fried.

My father inlay once found a nest of just born baby mice and ate a couple live dipped in soy sauce, apparently thought it made him strong for sex, Indonesians seem to think that about any weird food.

I've had snake...pretty brutal how they kill them. I wouldn't eat it again.
I have heard of newborn baby mouse eaten alive as described. I don't even want to watch that.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 11:23am

When I was traveling through China, bags of deep fried chickens feet were the go everywhere especially when you went to the movies......and we only have boring old popcorn.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 11:57am

I took this absolutely beautiful Australian lamb cryovaced to a village on the Thai/Cambodia border many moons ago but they were very reserved in the eating of it. Then through the calls of darkness there was a lot of excited chattering, a birth had occurred and the lamb was traded for the fresh placenta of a baby buffalo and soup was made....calmness and tranquility to the village was restored

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 12:34pm
Optimist wrote:

When I was traveling through China, bags of deep fried chickens feet were the go everywhere especially when you went to the movies......and we only have boring old popcorn.

When I was living in China the favourite meal of the extended Hu family (my partner’s) was pig feet. Not sure if I ever went a day without having it at some point..

The Chinese absolutely love their meat, especially pig and seafood,, and whenever we went out for dinner, which was a few times a week, they’d fully load up on every meat dish possible, and we’d regularly have meat-only meals…

In China I think the idea of being vegan would be met with ridicule and then with jail time and/or banishing back to wherever one came from….

In passing, I seem to feel weak and lightheaded etc when I go more than a few days without meat.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 2:26pm

I like chicken feet, deep fried or otherwise, especially if they are still attached to the running chicken

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 2:59pm

Sounds tricky to eat without upsetting the chook

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 4:47pm

gsco...did you wear shorts and did they laugh at your legs...took me a while to figure out what was so funny when I walked down the street.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 5:13pm

They seemed rather fond of my long legs, but would poke fun at me about all kinds of things that I couldn’t discern. They found it particularly enjoyable when I’d get completely flogged at badminton by the 10yr old “fat kid”

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 6:12pm

Ha funny...I think it was my hairy legs they found amusing as no one seemed to wear shorts and their legs are pretty bald....it was a vegans nightmare there though, because my friends and I would go into a restaurant, get a menu, no English, and just point at stuff on it and like Russian roulette see what comes out...so funny...some freaky stuff came out that's for sure and that was a daily event...so much fun having no idea whats happening.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 8:16pm

This is off topic but being ridiculed for having hairy arms or playing badminton poorly was the least of my worries in China.

My girlfriend's whole extended family are members of the communist Party, her father is retired engineer from the Chinese army (PLA), and they lived in a district devoted solely to housing currently or previously serving members of the PLA and their extended family!

So you could imagine the tense standoff at the dinner table between myself and the father, and with basically all other military personnel in the district.

But to bring things back on topic, when they found out that my favourite food was also pork then all was well, they made me pork feet every day, and we all got along fine!

Lucky I'm not vegan...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 8:47pm

This is a good thread, cant beat fresh Japanese i reckon. Delicious

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 9:04pm

Interesting stuff gsco. My father was a marine engineer who used to do safety surveys. Whenever he went onto a Chinese vessel in the Mao era they would give him multiple copies of Mao's Little Red Book which he would give to us as novelty items and we would take to school and swap for equally interesting items such as Coca Cola yo yos or whatever. From time to time a teacher would see what it was and have a look. No problem, just interested. Imagine the reaction to to anything similar now! I taught probably a hundred or so international students from China and was hugely impressed by their dedication to study. There were exceptions but in general they worked their arses off and achieved great HSC results.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 8:23am

I was watching a doco about wolves in Yellowstone and one thing that stuck in my mind was how tenuous and harassed the life of a herbivore is in the wild. The elk were just constantly on the watch and if they strayed off alone or showed any sign of weakness, it was on - the wolves would move in to chase and often kill.

An elk has a drink at a stream and then next thing it had a pack surrounding it and jumped in the water to escape. Then the pack closed off the exits and it swam till exhausted. Eventually it is pulled down and eaten while still alive.

An elk gives birth and before long is fighting off a pack.

A herd of elk wanders around constantly in a state of stress with wolves watching for a mistake, age or injury. running for your life is a daily and occurrence.

It got me thinking about the typical calm peaceful life of farmed beef and sheep. Fences protecting them. Grass, hay, water in a trough. All is well..... except for one bad hour / day at the end.

Of course, before someone points it out, I know there are many examples of unpleasant farming practices. But on the whole as I drive around in the country looking around at cows and sheep munching away, the visible farmed animals in Australia (and many countries) have a much more pleasant life than a wild herbivore in a region full of aggressive predators.

Vegans and vegetarians who abhor animal farming and idealise life in the wild need to watch a little more youtube reality before overplaying the guilt trip for meat eaters.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 8:24am

There is actually a movement amongst certain vegans to try and "suppress" the natural predation in the wild to reduce animal suffering.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 8:25am

Nature is gnarly.
I'd say half of the tailor I catch have scars , often huge ones, where they have escaped predation.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 8:42am

My mother always wanted to go on a safari in Africa and see nature at it's finest. She would talk about Giraffes in the sunset and Elephants in water frolicking away. When she did her safari they were at a water hole watching Springbok or Antelope or something that size. (I can't remember the exact animal) and a bunch of Lions came charging out of the bush...Sprinbok scattered and a lion caught one pretty close to their van. Lion proceeded to tear the soft belly open and guts and shit and blood got sprayed everywhere...van full of old people and kids wanting to see nature were all in shock and traumatized. My mothers idea of nature changed pretty fast after that.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 8:43am

https://www.booktopia.com.au/on-eating-meat-matthew-evans/book/978176063...
Haven't read it myself but heard a few interviews . Been a fan of Evans since his days as a journo at SMH . Food for thought

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 8:51am

I'm always amazed at religious folk who only see the beautiful in nature and claim how great God is...when in realty God must have been having a few really fucking bad days when the ugly and painful death nature has were in his plan.