Wicked Campers may soon be banned from Byron Bay

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Wednesday, 27 Apr 2016 at 12:43pm

Vehicles painted with offensive slogans, such as the notorious Wicked campervans, could be banned from some areas along the New South Wales north coast.

Earlier this month, Byron Shire councillors heard from a local grandfather who spray-painted over a slogan that was describing a sexual act.

Councillor Duncan Dey has now lodged a motion calling for signs erected at the entry points to Byron Bay telling the drivers of Wicked vans they were not welcome.

More here...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-27/wicked-campervans--council-move-to-ban-slogans-nsw/7361644

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Apr 2016 at 8:15pm

saw one double parked in Byron this arvo: If a King rules a Kingdom, who rules a country?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 29 Apr 2016 at 8:16pm

Malcolm Turnbull?

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Friday, 29 Apr 2016 at 10:49pm
velocityjohnno wrote:
mk1 wrote:

The motto of the French Republic is Liberty, Equality & Fraternity - not Liberty, Liberty, Liberty. A modern functioning society must balance these 3 somewhat opposing ideals and so boundaries are required, whether via legal regulation (in the west) or via cultural regulation (in the east). This is part of that process playing out.

Understand the point but the example is perhaps not the best; when trying to enforce the Equality and Fraternity part of it all on the populace, things got particularly bloody. Throats slit in baths, heads on pikes, entire lower jaws disconnected while being dragged to the guillotine, etc.

I disagree VJ. Bloodshed, revolutions and genocide happens but such issues are highly complex and context specific. It's too easy to point to tyrannical despotic leadership or the brief period of The Reign of Terror, and say it's all the ideals of equality and fraternity's fault, but that's just lazy thinking. The more equality and fraternity conscious societies in the world (northern europe for instance) aren't exactly devolving into all out bloodshed while the individualistic ones strive ahead (USA), it's more nuanced than that in a "modern functioning society"

Further, where you use "enforcement" (perhaps implying the atrocities under say Lenin) is particularly strong and binary, compared to say "society striving for balance between 3 ideals". "Enforcement" of any 1 of those 3 ideals ahead of the others would lead to bad outcomes. A local council banning wicked campers is by no means the thin edge of the wedge on curtailing individual freedom and the encroachment of the state on personal liberty (whereas locking up protesters and dissenters is).

Finally, you're implying revolution is best avoided alround (by reference to The Reign of Terror?), and I tend to agree in general, but the French Revolutions, inclusive of the blood shed of The Reign of Terror, is one of the great turning points of humanity, overturning the ruling classes and moving to a liberal society designed to serve the individual citizen and not just hereditary royalty. What's not mentioned in your example of bloody conflict is the overturning thousands of generations of citizens as slaves to their royal overseers, and the misery and horrors that entailed. Surely the balance of history tells us that the period of bloodshed occurring through the revolution was worth it!?

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Friday, 29 Apr 2016 at 10:16pm
freeride76 wrote:

saw one double parked in Byron this arvo: If a King rules a Kingdom, who rules a country?

I have no problem with that slogan.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 30 Apr 2016 at 1:29pm
mk1 wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:
mk1 wrote:

The motto of the French Republic is Liberty, Equality & Fraternity - not Liberty, Liberty, Liberty. A modern functioning society must balance these 3 somewhat opposing ideals and so boundaries are required, whether via legal regulation (in the west) or via cultural regulation (in the east). This is part of that process playing out.

Understand the point but the example is perhaps not the best; when trying to enforce the Equality and Fraternity part of it all on the populace, things got particularly bloody. Throats slit in baths, heads on pikes, entire lower jaws disconnected while being dragged to the guillotine, etc.

I disagree VJ. Bloodshed, revolutions and genocide happens but such issues are highly complex and context specific. It's too easy to point to tyrannical despotic leadership or the brief period of The Reign of Terror, and say it's all the ideals of equality and fraternity's fault, but that's just lazy thinking. The more equality and fraternity conscious societies in the world (northern europe for instance) aren't exactly devolving into all out bloodshed while the individualistic ones strive ahead (USA), it's more nuanced than that in a "modern functioning society"

Further, where you use "enforcement" (perhaps implying the atrocities under say Lenin) is particularly strong and binary, compared to say "society striving for balance between 3 ideals". "Enforcement" of any 1 of those 3 ideals ahead of the others would lead to bad outcomes. A local council banning wicked campers is by no means the thin edge of the wedge on curtailing individual freedom and the encroachment of the state on personal liberty (whereas locking up protesters and dissenters is).

Finally, you're implying revolution is best avoided alround (by reference to The Reign of Terror?), and I tend to agree in general, but the French Revolutions, inclusive of the blood shed of The Reign of Terror, is one of the great turning points of humanity, overturning the ruling classes and moving to a liberal society designed to serve the individual citizen and not just hereditary royalty. What's not mentioned in your example of bloody conflict is the overturning thousands of generations of citizens as slaves to their royal overseers, and the misery and horrors that entailed. Surely the balance of history tells us that the period of bloodshed occurring through the revolution was worth it!?

so you're saying the trump thing is going to be alright?

the thing with wicked campers is they started out with witry political graffiti like velocityhohnno pointed out, but over a long period they've become offensive for the sake of being offensive, as stunet says, couple that with the drive to make money and the gawdy tawdryness becomes difficult to ignore.

I don't really see how the council could ban them anyway, the sign would a notice of displeasure and that's it, plus there's a certain irony to the banning coming from Byron of all councils, a sad reflection of it's development really.

I also think we're mixing up offensive slogans with offensive behaviour. the drinking, lingering, loitering and toileting etc. it's hard when you frequent places attractive to travellers/backpackers you see all sorts of stuff you disapprove of at 'your' beach. but we've all need to remind ourselves of our tendency to travel and probably not fit in as well as we think, as well as our mispent youths.

try not to be a grumpy cunt

spencie's picture
spencie's picture
spencie Saturday, 30 Apr 2016 at 5:32pm

Broken Head was my home beach for 30 years and the Wicked vans were just another cause of overcrowding at Byron Bay. Would have to tip-toe around them (illegally camping) each pre-dawn morning when the waves were good so as not to wake the occupants and hence have a bigger crowd. Always heaps of trash from the pricks and little respect in the surf. They're even down here in Tassie Piss them off I say!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 30 Apr 2016 at 7:40pm
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu writes; "To busy surfing, remember that"...........

For starters, learn the difference between "to" and "too"......
Secondly, if you are too busy surfing, what the fuck are you doing writing here? You got a waterproof lap top?
Fuckn mung bean.. :p

Sheepdog I don't like you, never have, so please don't comment on anything I have to say.

I could not give a fuck about what to and too add up two, or whether it is there, their or they're.
I don't understand those sorts of things just can't get my head around it, but I get the message I am trying to send across.
You just showed yourself for who you are, and it ain't impressive.

Here's my final right of reply, fucktard........... I wrote that "I think it's stupid to be so effected by offence"...... That in itself is a legitimate statement..... As the utube clip jokingly says, you cant catch leprosy from being offended... But guess what... You were offended by it, when there was nothing to be offended about.....

Now.... You respond to my pov by calling me a "dickhead"...... you then pull out the old chestnut, attacking someones surfing ability..... Classy stuff, buddy..... And you reckon ; "you just showed yourself for who you are, and it ain't impressive"..... Well punk, I have never had a dig at someones surfing ability here..... And I give everyone a fair go..... And I cop the rough and tumble..... And in the Aussie spirit, what is said on the field stays on the field...... I've had many great heated debates with FR and don over swells, BB re' cl;imate change, Blowin re politics.... But at the end of the day, If they were a mate and needed help, I'd come running....
But not you..... It's twice now in about 2 weeks you've either had a go at my surfing, or even questioned whether I surf at all......
So yeah man...... It'll be an absolute pleasure to never speak to you again...... But it goes both ways..... On ya bike, sook.

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Sunday, 1 May 2016 at 8:24am
Sheepdog wrote:
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu writes; "To busy surfing, remember that"...........

For starters, learn the difference between "to" and "too"......
Secondly, if you are too busy surfing, what the fuck are you doing writing here? You got a waterproof lap top?
Fuckn mung bean.. :p

Sheepdog I don't like you, never have, so please don't comment on anything I have to say.

I could not give a fuck about what to and too add up two, or whether it is there, their or they're.
I don't understand those sorts of things just can't get my head around it, but I get the message I am trying to send across.
You just showed yourself for who you are, and it ain't impressive.

Here's my final right of reply, fucktard........... I wrote that "I think it's stupid to be so effected by offence"...... That in itself is a legitimate statement..... As the utube clip jokingly says, you cant catch leprosy from being offended... But guess what... You were offended by it, when there was nothing to be offended about.....

Now.... You respond to my pov by calling me a "dickhead"...... you then pull out the old chestnut, attacking someones surfing ability..... Classy stuff, buddy..... And you reckon ; "you just showed yourself for who you are, and it ain't impressive"..... Well punk, I have never had a dig at someones surfing ability here..... And I give everyone a fair go..... And I cop the rough and tumble..... And in the Aussie spirit, what is said on the field stays on the field...... I've had many great heated debates with FR and don over swells, BB re' cl;imate change, Blowin re politics.... But at the end of the day, If they were a mate and needed help, I'd come running....
But not you..... It's twice now in about 2 weeks you've either had a go at my surfing, or even questioned whether I surf at all......
So yeah man...... It'll be an absolute pleasure to never speak to you again...... But it goes both ways..... On ya bike, sook.

What a load of shit, yes shortdog your the king of the internet forum cause once people in real life see you they hastily make their excuses and leave. Your the short weedy bloke out in the surf that wont shut up , yapping and constantly getting in the way. But no one says anything because it doesn't happen that often these days.
Looking forward to hearing your closing argument (need to get the last word in). Try to keep it to less than 10,000 words. :-))))

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Sunday, 1 May 2016 at 8:56am

Now now boys, let's not get too carried away! BTW what does 'Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu' mean?

Hako o hakonde ... Sunday, 1 May 2016 at 9:44am

"Two dogs carrying a box"

Barnard's picture
Barnard's picture
Barnard Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 9:47am

If your don't like the slogans , just do what any graffiti artist does, just spray them out..and explain to the renters its an Australian native custom...

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 2:07pm

A recent Wicked Camper slogan spotted in far north Queensland - ABC news online.

"Am I still a virgin if I take it up the shitter?”

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 7:59pm

Best one i saw was 'im still a virgin cause iv'e still got the box it came in" sprayed all over the back of the van.........good look.!

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 11:21pm

Ban them totally from everywhere. Summer in Australia has become signified by the plague of backpacker vans illegally camping everywhere, shitting on beach trails, piss rings in the carpark, tuna cans and sponges thrown in the bush, ciggie butts ,clueless kooks washing their undies and dishes in public beach and local park toilets, filthy fucking animals, makes the arrival of winter and the start of the fronts a blessing, a few days of car living in the rain and carparks clear, the shit washes down the drain (and out to sea) and life can go back to normal.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 3 Nov 2018 at 7:59am

To be fair thats because Australia lacks free to very low cost camping options in coastal areas of most of Australia :(

jacksprat's picture
jacksprat's picture
jacksprat Saturday, 3 Nov 2018 at 12:58pm

I had forgotten why I stopped surfing after 50 years of enjoyment until I happened upon this tripe. Surfing is dead. Long dead. What remains is petty tribalism, bickering, marginalization, pretentiousness and that doesn't even broach the pure idiocy of 'the retro movement' and the 'enviro surfer'. I mean, look at Slater. Come Kelly, what comes out of planes? Where are surfboards made and what of? Neoprene? And then there's the industry. Don't quote Voltaire for that one - Joseph Conrad is closer. Heart of Darkness is the blueprint for the entire surf industry. And as surfers, as people, you seriously look at Byron and see the biggest issue as sprayed on vans? Hilarious.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 3 Nov 2018 at 1:04pm

Around here a lot of the vans are filled with people living in them permanently. The fair go? Not in this country anymore.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 3 Nov 2018 at 2:09pm

The vans for long term abode are here now (and probably closer to freedom than rates, insurance, taxes). If only housing 1/4'd in price, young people and older people who have fallen on hard times could afford a roof over their head. Same for the cost structure of the country - very high. Some of the vans are itinerant, some travelers, some backpackers. I talked to a young Italian graduate, here doing the van-surf living thing, and he said there was no work back home, he might be lucky to get 250EU a month; his family helped him get over to work and travel here (where he was earning more). Same within EU, so many young from Latvia to Portugal, Romania, Lithuania, Spain flocked into the City of London, as there was paying work there.

Hell, some here don't even have vans, and live in the dunes. As a cost argument it makes some sense - don't pay into the enormous cost structure real estate ponzi the baby boomers have raised to protect their net worth, just take your wage and spend it on things more important than housing. As a safety argument, yes, it's safer than a hostel in inner city areas.

I've been lucky enough to know some people in this situation - they are creative, hard working - every rule and regulation that has been created locks them out of simply setting up shop and building stuff, like we see Baddy doing in 'MOTE'. When they do well, and begin to get ahead, it is wonderful.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 3 Nov 2018 at 2:21pm

Hi Jacksprat, I remember there being more petty tribalism when I began surfing. It's more open now, even if the rules seem to be respected less.
You can make surfboards out of timber and resins are being introudced with increasing bio content - we get closer and closer to truly renewable boards. It takes longer and you invest more of yourself into it.
If the air travel really concerns you, you could choose not to fly to idyllic surf destinations. It is also possible to power cars with sunlight, ethanol, and algal diesel.
There's always a flip side/bright side.
On the retro movment you are spot on, the 'movement' part is cringeworthy and I say that as someone who has surfed boards of all eras theroughout my whole surfing life.
PS spot on with the Heart of Darkness reference, what an incredible book to loose on high school Lit students! "Men going at it blind - as is proper for those who tackle a darkness." The whited sepulchre of Brussels... And the idea the further you go into it, the more you become it.. Damn what a book.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 3 Nov 2018 at 8:14pm

It's funny how they have all these campaigns sleepy driver die take a rest etc

But it's pretty much getting illegal to sleep in a car anywhere.

Driving home from melb the other day country BP truck stop and a sign saying its banned for people to sleep in cars or vans there.

I mean seriously it's not a problem is it, its not like people camp out for days, they pull up at night have a sleep and leave in the morning.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 3 Nov 2018 at 8:51pm

Indo, there are people living permanently in their vans here, including families with kids. The council tolerates it and, at the current level, it is not a problem. There are genuine backpackers and "grey nomads" amongst them but there are also those who are just down on their luck.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 10:00am

VJ-"don't pay into the enormous cost structure real estate ponzi the baby boomers have raised to protect their net worth,"- classic- the fear of survival does some very uncaring unsharing things. Australia-the land of the investment property whilst families go homeless. Caravan parks now cater for the well heeled tourist dollar whilst you get fined for camping somewhere else because you can't afford $42 a night to pitch a tent-unpowered.
Unfortunately though it's the crew that leave trash behind, make a noisy ruckus and destroy what they came to enjoy, that has buggered it up for the rest of us. Just because your homeless or just travelling thru, doesn't mean you can disrespect the surrounds you now find yourself in.
Ban the van-i'm not a fan.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 11:11am

In WA it’s illegal to free camp within 50kms of a caravan park.

The equivalent of not being able to eat a packed lunch within 50kms of McDonald’s.

You also require a council permit to camp for more than 3 days on private land even with the owners permission.

Don’t get me started on all the caravan parks becoming new subdivisions with park home villages replacing van and tent sites. Buy the home and continue to pay rent on the site you’re on for eternity.....WTF ?

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 11:38am

15 bucks a night to pitch your tent at the Prevelly caravan park most of the year. Cheaper still to camp in the many well facilitated DPAW campgrounds throughout the south west.
No excuse really for camping in the beach carparks that are not 50km but more like 1km away (not even starting about filling up the best carparks at the beach day in day out while local rate paying surfers and beach users have to park up the back) and being a pig.
Also worth a mention in the blame game is the wineries in the region who demand the backpacker labour but totally fail to provide any accommodation or services (many fruit picking gigs on the east coast provide accommodation or camping facilities for the workforce for the picking season/vintage) so encourage the free/illegal camping.
More responsibility should be pushed more on the van rental companies too, they provide the means but offer zero accountability or directions appropriate behaviour for their customers.
Long after Gunter and Heidi are back in Hamburg in their real jobs after their gap year picking fruit in Australia the footprints of their adventure (i.e. used illegal beach/bush campsite toilet paper, durrie butts , corona bottles etc) are still waiting for the annual local shire clean up just in time for the big surf comp.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 12:25pm

As long as people are respectful of the area and dispose of rubbish in bins, respect locals, use public toilets etc

Then people should be able to sleep in their car or van anywhere in public, homeless or not homeless.

When younger i did two six month trips living in a van once with a mate, once with an X GF both times with my dog. (only time we every stayed a caravan park was when my missus was on her rags)

We never had dramas and were respectful of others and their areas and had the best time, surfing everyday, fishing, sight seeing, just hanging out, meeting people.

IMHO that nomadic trait is inside all of us and something we should all experience and do.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 1:55pm

Hey Mikehunt

I was chatting to a fella doing the van lyfe thing in WA and he reckons their is a community of 80 people living in vans and cars around Margs .

Many of them moved North for the winter and free camp around the stations rather than pay the minimal camp rates. Rather fuck up the dunes with toilet paper than fork out a few dollars.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 2:32pm

History of Oz Rest Stops (swellnet exclusive) Dedicated to lost Hwy warriors {R.I.P}

1944 WW II (Dec) 48 hrs/month rest stop for 'defending' Soldiers
1945 WW II (Jan) 78 hrs/month rest stop for 'attacking' Soldiers (Invasion of Germany)
Australian Hwy Routes/Rest Stops are since dedicated to WW II Servicemen.

1996 (OZ) 96 hrs/month National Transport Commission (Driving Hours Regulation)
Sabbath day/One day break from the truck each week = 4 days each month. (Sounds Fair)

*Recommended (15 minute rest stop every 2hrs) falls roughly between 78hrs < > 96hrs
(Standard) 15m/2hr > 1hr/8hr > 3hr/24hr > 3hrs x 7 =21hrs/week or 84hrs/month
Applies to Qld (only)" 20 hr " Rest Area therefore offers up 1 required free rest day a week.
As tourists are neither soldiers or truckerz this is considered a reasonable rest time.
Qld has minimum o/n stay as Border is peppered with Hi-Rise accom'+ Caravan Parks etc...
Let this Free Guide double as our apology!

Most isolated Tasmania has maximum o/n stay at their rest areas.
Yes! You guessed right! Well done... the whole 96 hrs is afforded in many Tas' rest areas
Yes! In one stay the whole 4 days (1 months worth) no questions asked! (That's insane!)
Tasmania is renowned for it's generous Rest Facilities ...Yummy! Yum!Yum! Here we come!

Canberra is good for 48 hr neat tidy facilities as with Tas' water & Toilets included...So Cool!

S.A. No hours can be found by best researchers...It seems open all hours (96 hrs is max?)
S.A. renowned for No Water! No Toilets! Nullarbor Plain = No nothin'...Pack two sticks!

N.T. Overnight Camping is permitted...Go Wild!

W.A./Vic'/NSW all allow up to 24hrs (Clock strikes 12' then beat it mate)

Oz Standard (Longer Stay Rest Area = less Facilities)...No - Water/Toilets/Lighting/BBQ
24hr rest stops offer little more than Shade + Picnic Table + Bin as standard.

Qld + maybe other State's laws can be argued to reflect your entitled months worth of rest.
Sat' Nav' might back up your claim to void unwarranted overstay fine.
15min safe driving extends to monthly safe requirement for "proven" on road traveler!
Don't be afraid to defend what rights our diggers fought for! Rest is assured! Ok!

Sorry if I scuttled your Surf safari...Here! Let me make that up to you!

Use this Voucher for (1 free) "off grid" Mid Gold Coast rest stop thru My Town.
[m1] North [exit 85] Reedy Creek (Old Coach Rd) Lunch Stop.(Big grassy area by the creek)
Makeshift off/on[M1][P] for long wheel base.Supermarket/Pies/Coffee & Toilets are near by.
Truckers leave Trailers & others Stop Day/Night.(Smack Bang East Coast WSR o/n) Shh!
Tell 'em... That Old Coach Rogue set you up!
Silly Seasonings!

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 2:35pm

In the AM, get on the horn when in the carpark going for the dawn patrol
In the PM, let their tyres down whilst they are down the beach having an illegal fire

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 3:15pm

Anyone familiar with the free camping Australia book? Years back when we worked and travelled, it was a Thing, and saved many people a lot of money.
My favourite bit was working remote, often the infrastructure I was working on had its own water tanks (boil it though), electricity connections, toiletries, and backup diesel generator (not that I needed any). These sites were in the middle of nowhere, and the key got us in I while I did my work. We camped overnight.

Blowin those WA regulations sound like a racket.

& Dave housing has traditionally oscillated between 1.5 times and 3 times the average salary. It's obviously way beyond that now. If it reverts to the mean, I think van lyfe would decline. (forget that whole economy hitched to the house now and would result in large unemployment). Say average salary 80,000 - that's houses at 120,000 in W Sydney and 240,000 in the nice areas. It sounds incredible doesn't it...

skeatesy's picture
skeatesy's picture
skeatesy Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 6:09pm

i used to campervan up byron in the 1980's hangliding and they were always turving me out

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 10 Mar 2019 at 3:19am

Multi prong attack on Devil's idle hands...Is this Wicked game finally up?
[xxx] Includes gallery of bawdy ballads.
http://www.mygc.com.au/vulgar-vans-end-of-the-road-for-wicked-campers/

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 11 Mar 2019 at 12:13am

Yes! No! Don't know! Wicked!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 11 Mar 2019 at 6:30am

classic! hahaha

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 9:51am

Begun the #vanlyfe wars have:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-23/byron-bay-van-life-illegal-campin...

The GOML (Get Off My Lawn) moment approaches

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 10:35am

Haven't been there since the late 90's. Was a shitshow then.

Just can't see what the appeal of that place and surrounds is? So many better places in Aus to visit as a traveller/surfer IMO.

happyppl's picture
happyppl's picture
happyppl Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 10:36am

all surfers are guilty of defecateing in bushes, anyone who denies it is suffering selective memory loss.
i allways have spade t paper for emergency's.
whenugottagoyougottago.
how many tourists go back home and lament about chronic lack of toilets and locked up till 8am public toilets and no facilities for itinerate slave labour?
we have state and federal tourist ministers who need their heads shuved down a dunny!
stop blameing victims of public health crisis when all ministers do nothing.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 10:41am

I agree happyppl , about 3 months ago I was at Brunswick checking the surf and needed a crap , went to public toilets at 6.30 am and they were locked ( Sunday ) couldn’t believe it so crapped in the river ( fish food )and a had a wash .

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 10:42am

NZ have a simple policy on campers/RVs- no onboard toilet no free camp.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 10:43am

VJ - this problem is just starting to rear it's unfortunate head down in Tasmania. My local go to beach up the North East which I visit regularly for surf checks and dog runs (with dogshit bag in hand Spookypt) now has a regular supply of tightarse hipster campers wanting to wake up with the perfect view. Now I could be a Karen and tell them to fuck off but I bite my tongue and go on my merry (but frustrated) way.
The thing is I wouldn't have an issue if they had facilities on board, but most of them have none, and the toilet paper and human waste are going to start piling up along side the local bushwalking track soon. I can almost smell it coming!!!
Like Byron Bay the local council probably has no recourse with the offenders and that's if it can be bothered at all. So I guess we will all just sit back and let it happen unfortunately.
There are some funny moments though with this class of tourist. I was at the local coffee shop on Sunday morning early when a shoeless shirtless tourist jumped out the wicked camper van with two paper cups and asked the shop owner for two cups of hot water so he could make his own tea/coffee. She obliged and didn't charge him but there was a bit of head shaking going on as he left the shop!!!!

Bungan33's picture
Bungan33's picture
Bungan33 Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 11:42am

Sheepdog.....I am going to assume by your comments and video that you believe the reactions to Wickedcampers is political correctness gone mad. If so you might want to dig a little deeper and explore the difference between offence against someones ideas or beliefs and slogans that glorify misogyny and rape culture. That slogan pictured is saying to the world "Women don't know and cant tell what they want - I - a man - know better and know what they want....". That kind of message is a piece of the complex puzzle that condones violence towards women. Try telling any of these young women that that slogan is funny....
https://www.theage.com.au/education/hundreds-of-sydney-students-claim-th...
In the interests of the civility of the Swellnet forums I will hold my tongue and end it there.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 12:27pm

Crew shitting in suburban streets cause they’re too tight to pay for accomodation and too useless to use common sense and take care of their business properly ain’t the result of a crisis in public infrastructure or government mismanagement.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 12:47pm

I know its become a hipster thing, but van life is awesome i did two 6mth trips up and down the east coast over 20 years ago, never paid for overnight stays, some of the best times of my life, and just the freedom.

I haven't done it since, but actually booked a camper only a few days ago just for a 10 day trip, going to be interesting how it goes with kids along for the ride, daughter is already worried about no TV or wifi.

This will be my first time actually paying for caravan parks and camp grounds, but im still planning to do a few free camping spots( hard to find legal) and going to throw in a few not planned ahead turn up at dark park then depart before light stop overs, everyone should experience this too.

Got to say it does kind of suck having to book in ahead at some camp sites etc., as just takes that spontaneity and feeling of freedom away, especially when ideally i should just be following where the best waves are, but some spots get booked up ahead of time so no real choice.

And it does suck how places that were free now charge, even if only $30-$40 it does add up, and just planning ahead its hard to not compare prices to indo too, $40 for an unpowered site with no hot shower, compared to $40 in Indo gets you a half decent hotel room in many areas, but feet are itchy need some kind of trip, so road trip it is.

BTW. Will be planning my days well ahead using public toilets where possible, sure won't be crapping in someone's garden.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 1:07pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 1:22pm

Indo how much $ are you saving in return airfares ?
State forests are free to stay in Nsw i have a friend thats been Van lifeing in State forest for 8 yrs

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 1:28pm

VJ, slotted steel wheels! Oh yeah, sexy!

And old mate has a carton of milk?

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 1:33pm

How 'bout them boots though?

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 1:36pm

I recommend imoova.com for anyone who wants a sick little getaway without the cost. I’ve done a few and they’re as good as they sound. Here’s one example of many Australia wide. it’s one of those large deluxe near new campers. $1 a night. There’s been a few airfare deals going on lately as well for the return trip. I think I saw $79 to meet up with this one to return to Sydney. Roughly $300 for nearly a week long 3 state adventure including the plane ride home. Nothing to stop you from linking up multiple campers between cities if you’ve got the time. Take your board and fill the fridge with tinnies.
Hanging your underwear out for everyone to see is optional

pics online mobile

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 1:42pm
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 3:27pm

Definitely shouldn't be camping in suburban streets and pooping on peoples lawns...although if there's one town in oz that deserves to have their lawns pooped on, i'd probably have to condemn Byronians to it.