Wicked Campers may soon be banned from Byron Bay

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Wednesday, 27 Apr 2016 at 12:43pm

Vehicles painted with offensive slogans, such as the notorious Wicked campervans, could be banned from some areas along the New South Wales north coast.

Earlier this month, Byron Shire councillors heard from a local grandfather who spray-painted over a slogan that was describing a sexual act.

Councillor Duncan Dey has now lodged a motion calling for signs erected at the entry points to Byron Bay telling the drivers of Wicked vans they were not welcome.

More here...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-27/wicked-campervans--council-move-to-ban-slogans-nsw/7361644

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 3:54pm

Mate in Exmouth was describing how the vans pull up out the front of crew’s houses and try to guess the WIFI passwords.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 3:56pm

Indo, you'll find plenty of places to park away from people in quiet spots so go the spontaneous and follow the waves and wind. There's usually always an empty spot if you want a cvan park which are often cheaper than Nat parks that you can park in free through the day. Most Cvan parks will sell you a shower if you ask and say your just passing through and not stopping. Don't forget you can be a roadside driver reviver legally and that road can be a quiet one.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 4:34pm

Yes Craig, the old 12 slotters! Those are expensive now... Carton of milk & boots no doubt to impress the chicks.

I've got more: time to play 'guess where this is':

https://uniqueautoart.com/collections/ford-adverts/products/copy-of-falc...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 4:36pm

Even better:

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/341429215474672259/

"Now you can make it in comfort..."

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 4:56pm

Get rid of Instagram and I'm certain the problem disappears.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 23 Feb 2021 at 7:53pm

@shoredump
That websites awesome, will defiently give that one a go in the future, little bit hard being from Vic though at the moment only game to go a few hours outside the border and do a bolt back if needed.

@Udo
Cool didn't know that, yeah had a look, there is about three around NSW South coast area that realistic options, there good cause you don't need to book, outside of holidays shouldn't be too busy you would think.

Yeah having a much better look online NSW is actually much much better than Vic for free camping, there is quite a few free ones that national parks run down the south coast area, got to book in and $6 booking fee, but still can't complain about that. Victoria has hardly any official free camping near the coast even Johanna these days you have to pay.(like $30-$40 range)

@ Optimist, Cheers, yeah I use to do a few of those things when younger, some trucks stops also have showers and decent spot to do a quick overnighter if you can get away from where everyone is coming and going, but most of the best ones i always found are north of Noosa :(

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 24 Feb 2021 at 11:04am

@ garyg1412

"VJ - this problem is just starting to rear it's unfortunate head down in Tasmania. My local go to beach up the North East which I visit regularly for surf checks and dog runs (with dogshit bag in hand Spookypt) now has a regular supply of tightarse hipster campers wanting to wake up with the perfect view. Now I could be a Karen and tell them to fuck off but I bite my tongue and go on my merry (but frustrated) way."

I know that coast & its waves, miss the orange lichen etc, had some great swell there in my travels (and many days of flat!). Would the campers be Tassie crew or are you seeing interstate licence plates?

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Wednesday, 24 Feb 2021 at 11:39am

VJ - I could play the antagonist and say it's mostly those pesky Hobart crew, but I won't!!! It's a bit of a mix really. Most of the bigger vans with facilities on board are interstaters but the tightarse crew are a mixed bag. I think platforms like Instagram have been driving the influx over the past five years and now with Covid overseas travel issues things have just exploded.
What I have noticed though with this explosion of tourists is the amount of said Instagrammers on the beaches in their g-strings, fake tans and boyfriends with drones in tow. It's like being on a different planet. Nothing a good cold winter won't sort out though.

happyppl's picture
happyppl's picture
happyppl Wednesday, 24 Feb 2021 at 1:52pm

blowin agree with u, pooping in streets not ok.
point i'm makeing is it's way out of control and has been for yonks and with covid public hygene is now nos1 priority for govt.
all public toilets must be retrofitted so wash basin etc is outside in public view so u don't touch door handle on way out and people can "chastise" any grub who does'nt do the right thing (big brother...not).
in India people crap in front of everybody anytime anywhere because of toilet shortage...no bull.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 26 Mar 2021 at 6:29pm

@shoredump

With that imoova.com do you remember what the deal was with insurance???

Im curious as we ended up hiring a van the other week and did ten days away, and we had two options for insurance pay about $30+ a day extra for insurance or give them a $5K bond on which if something did happen, cost comes out of the bond.

I decided to role the dice and do the $5K bond(which i got back) as thought fuck paying an extra $30+ a day on top of about $70+ a day already

BTW. Blowin if reading, you made a comment in another thread the other day about how the spontaneity aspect is now ruined as have to book in advance, and i was also concerned about this aspect.

But honestly it wasn't really much of an issue as we just booked that day or night before, mostly just stayed in national parks, and you can do it all online on smart phone in a few minutes, as long as there is a vacancy it's no issue all.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 26 Mar 2021 at 8:22pm

Indo I can’t remember what I did or was offered with insurance. I usually wing it on rentals though. I just plan not to crash

One time I handed the keys in the lady said I should have rang them direct as I would have gotten longer, cutting out the middle man

Some $5 a night highlights

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 27 Mar 2021 at 4:40am

Pretty sure they cover you for free because you’re doing them a favour moving the van for them

The only real downside is the timeframe, you generally have to cover some k’s each day

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 27 Mar 2021 at 9:13am

If you’ve got travel insurance there’s no point paying the reduced excess fee on car hire. Car hire excess can sometimes be $4K or so but this is covered by travel insurance which has an excess of only a $100 or so depending on the policy. This has saved me thousands over the years as I didn’t have a car for a few years and relied on hire cars.

Travel insurance for domestic travel isn’t a bad idea but I usually have an annual all travel insurance which covers the lot anyway.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 27 Mar 2021 at 4:19pm

@shoredump

Okay cool, thanks...Wheres the top photo?...looks like cool countryside.

We just had the Hi Top type camper van this trip gone, but have to go one of those bigger ones next time, those look amazing.

Wife would be stoked on one of those only thing on the trip she hated was long drop toilets, says you don't want to but you have to look into them when you go.....ha ha it's so true.

PS. will dig up some pics from trip to post latter

@ Blowin

That's interesting, the way they spun it and paper work etc, it seemed like i only had two options to pay $30+ per day extra or cough up a $5k bond that i got back two weeks latter after we had taken the van back, i guess they hold off for so long as i read something in the paper work about fines, i think if they get any sent to them from your trip from cameras they cut it from the money and then cut like $150 extra or something for admin fees on dealing with the fines.

Im hopeless with travel insurance, ive been meaning to get it for Indo trips, but still havent even after i broke ribs and punctuated my lung and went to hospital years ago.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 27 Mar 2021 at 4:36pm

Travel insurance is as important as surfboards when I go anywhere.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 27 Mar 2021 at 5:32pm

What provider do you use?

For years i was put off by my wife who would say, "What do i need travel insurance for, i lived in Indonesia all my life and was fine without it" and well i couldn't really argue with that.

But yeah after hitting the reef hard a few years back, i know i really should get it, but then i get so caught up in stuff, and never end up getting it before my trip.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 27 Mar 2021 at 6:08pm

Bit off topic but has anyone or know of anyone caught out with the 5 yr Medicare rules

Re Eligibility after 5 continuous yrs out of the country ?

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 27 Mar 2021 at 6:46pm

NZ South Island a couple hours out of Queenstown. I think the area is called Central Otago