FIN KNOWLEDGE

bishmann's picture
bishmann started the topic in Monday, 17 Nov 2014 at 5:03pm

Hi All ,
after a bit of your vast wisdom here , got myself a tiny 5'8 fish for small mushy waves , in 78 kgs and currently have fcs g'3 s in it but find them to lack drive and speed anyone have any suggestions on what would be more suitable fins for speed / drive in small waves , old school fcs plugs in the board tri fin .
help would be greatly appreciated .

bish

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 4:38pm

Goodwork there Wellymonster, I think Roy Stuart makes sexy little nubster for futures boxes..........the 3.5 inch Spitfire.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 4:45pm

Yeah was gonna try shaping a C Drive/Roy Stuart one with grooves in the back foil??? Hahahaha;)

I tried contacting Roy a while back on his email!, to buy one but no reply at all?

Cheers Udo

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 4:51pm

Unorthodox welly. Let us know how it goes.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 4:54pm

Welly you now have a lot of fin . Already there's lots without the wdrive , the quad set looks quite big especially those plastic front ones aren't the best . Good medium size fin u made tho , u can use smaller rear quads to free it up again . Futures are called the middle finger . Mf1 & mf2 ordered via future.com

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 4:56pm

Welly roy usually replies promptly . Nice photos too

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:05pm
caml wrote:

Welly you now have a lot of fin . Already there's lots without the wdrive , the quad set looks quite big especially those plastic front ones aren't the best . Good medium size fin u made tho , u can use smaller rear quads to free it up again . Futures are called the middle finger . Mf1 & mf2 ordered via future.com

Cool Caml will look into it.
The funny thing is the back quad fins are FCS templates and I accidentally put some FSC fins in the other day which were the same size as the front ones, as a quad and it went unreal?
I'm a big fella with at least 100kgs weighing the little board down?

What smaller FCS fins at the back Caml?

Can't wait to try the WDrive with probably smaller back side ones which you have interpreted;)

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:07pm

Cycd - Theres single tabs available in thrusters of cdrive

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:09pm

Couple of Futures 5 fin sets on gumtree near you welly, Clay Marzo set $90
Matt Biolis set $120

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:11pm

Welly im not familiar with the fcs range . Alls I know is the ab tow fins are usable in the rear qads as well as the side fins of thrusters tow set . Sorry . Thats what I have in fcs and because they're small I add a nubstor

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:13pm
udo wrote:

Matt Biolis set $120

The marzo five pack is good value for that price . I haven't seen the biolos sorry

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:15pm
udo wrote:

Matt Biolis set $120

Cheers UDO

This little brd has a weird fin setup
Front futures, back side fins FCS and rea Future box???????

Might look into the Clays for my psychedelic Gary Mc's 6'3"
Cheers

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:17pm

Welly I don't get it , some ppl say that they can put big ones at the back . You should try a ea quad set ( future) they're good for driveing big blokes fast

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:19pm

I can see that plug setup is unorthodox . Gravelle does that to help the flex
among other things .

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 5:24pm

Haha
Cool Caml, this is the first time ever trying different fin setups.
I'm only mucking around on my little go to do board 2-4ft surf, which is usual up these ways.
But surf TOS alot.
I find the quad to loose for my style so wanted to try a little nubby and get some direction.
Cheers;)

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 6:10pm

welly I just started surfing a small wave quad and couldn't get any down the line drive out of it for the first few sessions. Then I found a slight adjustment to my line paddling in made a huge difference, just a degree or so more parallel to the wave.......something about getting the inside rail settled, it might all be in my head but the thing is flying now. We are all creatures of habit and in my, very limited, experience of them quads seem to need slightly different techniques. Good luck with it.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 6:55pm
blindboy wrote:

welly I just started surfing a small wave quad and couldn't get any down the line drive out of it for the first few sessions. Then I found a slight adjustment to my line paddling in made a huge difference, just a degree or so more parallel to the wave.......something about getting the inside rail settled, it might all be in my head but the thing is flying now. We are all creatures of habit and in my, very limited, experience of them quads seem to need slightly different techniques. Good luck with it.

Likewise BB, this little things flys as well, but I find the turns are too loose for my liking.

Thanx heaps for the input.
I will keep trying various fin set ups as I really like this little puppy in the waves we have up here.
Cheers:)

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 7:03pm

Big guys & plastic fins = no drive & spinout ? Quads take a bit to adapt to & might need to adjust your fin sizes .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 7:34pm

I really like those Vector 2s i tried so many fins from the futures fin tree and friends fins and fins I've got in all kinds of materials but i always come back to those Vector 2s as my go to quad fin for a small to med size template, love them it must be that inside foil.

I guess technically they are plastic (Thermotech) but they seem very stiff not like those other plastic fins.

Im not a big guy though only med height and build.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 8:44pm
wellymon wrote:

Yeah was gonna try shaping a C Drive/Roy Stuart one with grooves in the back foil??? Hahahaha;)

I tried contacting Roy a while back on his email!, to buy one but no reply at all?

Cheers Udo

Hi Wellymon,

I must have missed your message, sorry about that. If you'd like to resend it I'll make sure that I reply pronto. Have been out of town working on a house.

I've been getting great feedback on the little spitfire nubsters, we have them in Futures and FCS.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 22 Dec 2015 at 11:55am
indo-dreaming wrote:

I really like those Vector 2s i tried so many fins from the futures fin tree and friends fins and fins I've got in all kinds of materials but i always come back to those Vector 2s as my go to quad fin for a small to med size template, love them it must be that inside foil.

I guess technically they are plastic (Thermotech) but they seem very stiff not like those other plastic fins.

Id yes the inside foil is fast & positive , the blackstix composite is the most quality version of it , for me the raked fins don't go as good as upright templates in quads .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Dec 2015 at 1:04pm

Stand up paddle foil AHD sealion wings : Youtube.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 23 Dec 2015 at 12:48am
caml wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Id yes the inside foil is fast & positive , the blackstix composite is the most quality version of it , for me the raked fins don't go as good as upright templates in quads .

So Caml is this what you are saying?

I'm also curious how they go. For mine, they don't look like they'd have much drive. Here's a bit of info Camel:

tail-ez3.jpg

That did not turn out the way I wanted, but was referring to Stu's picture on page 1

???

Upright!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 23 Dec 2015 at 7:54am

Hawaii's Greg Griffin has his own G10 fin template/foil.

nochaser's picture
nochaser's picture
nochaser Wednesday, 23 Dec 2015 at 6:48pm

@s_wings_surf on insta looks like c-drive on roids.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 6:29pm
caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 8:55pm

Yeah that is gold hey rule303 very informative

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Sunday, 10 Jan 2016 at 5:17pm

No wuckers caml
heres another link for a fun little program
http://www.finfoil.io/

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 10 Jan 2016 at 9:04pm

Run that board with just ya fin you made welly...you'd probably be doing turns that you thought you could never do....

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 1:03pm

Do C drives come in Futures (or vice a versa)
I did a search and couldn't find them

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 1:11pm

C-drives been promising Futures fit for a long time now ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 2:40pm

Yeah they have single tab !

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 3:15pm

wasabisurf - FCS to Futures adaptor.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 7:44am

Flux Fins : adjust your amount of fin flex while surfing by using your fin key
FCS and Futures fitment .

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 8:17am
udo wrote:

Flux Fins : adjust your amount of fin flex while surfing by using your fin key FCS and Futures fitment .

How many surfers would seriously be able to notice these kinds of incremental changes on the fly?

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 2:19pm

with FCSII has anyone been having troubles with cracking the glass when putting in or removing the fins. I have a board with this issue. Really seem to need to put a far bit of force in to get them in.
And how many different templates are there out on the market. For feck sake whats the go and the price there at, trying to get the right fin is a bit of a nightmare unless your sponsored I guess.
Is there a preferred template in the FCSII range people are riding. I have a set of medium reactors tri and quad set up. Has anyone been had the opportunity to experiment and provide any feedback.

cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 2:37pm

Just watched the vid on FCS site, bad design I reckon the way it shows that titanium rod flexing, and sand /salt build in the mechanism requiring more force to swap fins there will always be a problem with cracking.....seriously the old system....how long does it take to swap a set of fins over ...5mins max .
Also haven't some people lost the odd fin ? so they say put a grub screw in anyway.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 2:51pm

yeah I had a mate loss a couple also.
Not really worried about need to jam it hard to get them out . And directly from underneath. My issue wasn't from sand and salt build up. As I was getting some cracking putting in a brand ne w board. Was over Indo on a boat and putting in for first surf on board. Having to put a lot of force on trying to get them in they started to crack around the edges. As I'm out on a boat I aborted and grabbed a old set and grub screwed them in. Couldn't risk completely fucking a new board out in the middle of nowhere.
Since I have been back home I have got them in, though I'm concerned about damage been done. As there is a little movement from the box if you give the fin abit of a wobble.
Kinda beats the purpose if your putting the screws in I reckon. Just wondering if it is more an installation issue or more widespread out there with others experience.

not's picture
not's picture
not Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 4:21pm

grab a timber nail file and give the boxes a little run over in the slots if the boards been clear sprayed u will get a build up
give the tabs a little lick, also do not recommend the removal process give a quick hit with your palm while holding the fin with your other hand had plenty boards with fsc2 no dramas

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 6:22pm

Yeah makes sense, will give a little rub. Beauty Thanks.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 6:37pm

Not.
Have you got any feedback on the fin templates u been using. Comparisons etc.

not's picture
not's picture
not Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 7:02pm

keep it pretty simple Im a light weight but carvers in medium /large in carbon for quality waves really like the reactors in small waves 1 to 3 ft and the accelerators medium in neo glass on backhand quality waves but fins r kinda a personal thing every ones likes their own feeling what they r looking for on a wave

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 7:32pm

Personally i think i had better fins in my boards in the 80-90's glassed in before this fcs crap, whilst i agree changing fins is fun and taking them out for travel is gold the quality of fin is worse. AND the cost is ridiculous, when you can go to alibaba or ebay and find more factory shite which will be from the same factory

anyone have any links to making old school fins ??? the old way of laying fiberglass?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 7:44pm

Swaylocks.
Lay up fins - into search function.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 7:52pm

Not,
obviously then you are feeling some difference and preference for different waves etc
are you interchanging these fin on the same board.
Or are you on different set ups, such as these fins with this board and another set with this board.
cheers mate

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 8:18pm

thanks udo found this

not's picture
not's picture
not Saturday, 6 Feb 2016 at 8:46pm

most of my boards are 5/8 x19 rounded pin use the carver in sizey waves reactors in 1 to 3 ft and the acelerators backhand ,5/8 x19 rounded square 1 to 3 ft reactors only , save the rounded pins for the quality days , 5/8 x19.5 rounded square I just use the accelerators any other boards under 19 wide up to 6.6 ft ireally like the carvers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 12 Aug 2016 at 9:00am

Zigfin . com
8 finner ?

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Friday, 12 Aug 2016 at 10:41am

That's interesting!I did wonder what a tiny normal shaped fin would feel like as opposed to the keel like nubster variations.Seeing that set up could call for some experimentation.

dilmah's picture
dilmah's picture
dilmah Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 1:34pm

Long time observer, first time poster.
Have been getting boards of this shaper for a while now, all have been really good, exactly what was asked/designed.
Newish board from him is and epoxy fish. He swears its designed as primarily a quad. Few different fin sets I have tried in quad mode have no drive or response. Switch it back to a thruster set of AM2's and its alive.
Ive ridden plenty of quads but I just can't get this to go. Any opinions on quad sets. Have tried AM2 fronts with SEA Hx rears, Stretch quad set, and a set of hand shaped fins from an older NPJ sweetpea. I only ask as most quads I've ridden are great and am puzzled why this one that is designed as a quad won't go for me. Broad question i know but any info from the gurus out there would be greatly appreciated.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 1:55pm

Ask the bloke who shaped it..fuck you've done all you can
Do you have any other Quads you can measure fin box placement on to compare
Primarily a Quad ..is there such a thing ?