Which Channels are better?

morg's picture
morg started the topic in Friday, 26 May 2023 at 8:42am

After reading the Free Flights to America article it got me thinking about channel bottom surfboards and more specifically which types of channels are better, or does it depend. Over the years I’ve had a few, the first being a 6’4” Jim Pollard that looked a bit like a corrugated iron roof, through to my current Jye Byrnes Twinzer. Generally they were all surfed in beach breaks and average waves. Pre thrusters i was into four channel twinnies with sharp edged straight channels about half an inch deep. Some surfboards had channel that were very soft angles and edges, some very sharp and steep like the free flight, most had straight channels in tail section. A couple of them had curved channels (one was a Jet single fin that was gears). My recollection of how they all were to ride is hopeless, because I froth when I surf whatever I’m riding and for me it’s always been about the next surfboard.

Anyway, what is everyone’s thoughts the various types of channels in terms of modern surfboard designs?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 3 Jun 2023 at 1:16pm

Has any one ridden a CB at Urbnsurf?

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Saturday, 3 Jun 2023 at 4:53pm

I love the feel of a 6 channel thruster in A grade waves. Particularly larger point surf.
A big fan of belly channels too. I like them in more step down boards for garden variety beachbreaks. They give you the lift of single concave without the stickiness that sometimes comes with wider, flatter boards with deepish concave.

.cylinders's picture
.cylinders's picture
.cylinders Sunday, 4 Jun 2023 at 1:19pm

Personally I’ve always liked the AB style of slightly canted 6 channels in a thruster set up. All the best waves/turns I remember doing coming on a 6’2 I bought 16 years ago.

Just put a deposit on an eight channel single fin 6’10 free flight that was in the racks at the local shapers joint. I’ll get it restored and have a go.

I reckon the right fins are super important too, AB templates made a world of difference on my Byrning Spears

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Sunday, 4 Jun 2023 at 1:30pm

Agree about AB fins. I've got/had some concave byrning spears and the AB's go great in them as well as channels