Ghost, Sweet Spot 3, Sabotaj

eel's picture
eel started the topic in Thursday, 1 Aug 2019 at 7:09pm

Has anyone had much experience with these volume forward good wave boards? Im thinking of pulling the trigger on a step up kind of board in my normal shortboard length (around a 6'0). Reason being I hate longer boards. The Ghost seems too extreme, sabotaj maybe too chunky? Sweet Spot 3 seems like a happy medium.

Appreciate any feedback on these 3 boards.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 1 Aug 2019 at 7:18pm

Have you had a chat to your local shaper? If you have one?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 1 Aug 2019 at 7:21pm

I've ridden the Ghost and Sabotaj.

Both pretty sick, the Ghost has a particular rocker curve than can take a little getting used to. Never had a board that felt better and more secure knifing into hollow waves. Gives you a lot of confidence.

Sabotaj is a chunkier board but ridiculously easy to surf. I literally felt at home on it on the first wave.

Had the Sweet Spot 3 under the arm, it feels fine.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Thursday, 1 Aug 2019 at 7:31pm

Cheers freeride, good info, exactly what I was looking for!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 1 Aug 2019 at 7:42pm

have you got other DHD's in the quiver?

or Lost's?

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Thursday, 1 Aug 2019 at 9:20pm

Nah which is kind of the problem. Out of the big name brands I have always had JS. They have always worked well for me but they don't have one of these types of boards. Their new remake of the Occy Raging Bull is kind of like it but way to thick and chunky.

*Actually the wife has a 5'8 DHD that is my volume (29L). Maybe I should ride that a bit more to get a feel for them.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 6:16pm

I lined up the ghost, sweet spot 3, stacey lab rat and sabotaj next to each other and the outline curve of the ghost looks/feels the best. Think I will need to get a custom around 6'1 x 19.25 x 2.5 or just get the ghost pro dimensions in 6'2 x 19.25 x 2.5.
What dims did you get freeride?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 6:44pm

Don't be afraid of volume in the Ghost. It feels and floats and rides like a thinner board than the dims might indicate.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 7:03pm

I've got a stock 6'1" Ghost.

second what IB says. It;'s pretty foiled.

I found no probs with the stock dims at all.