Why is it thought that there is no skill in bodyboarding?

thetwig's picture
thetwig started the topic in Thursday, 11 Mar 2010 at 10:14am

I really get peeved when some surfers say the there is no skill in bodyboarding when infact its just as hard as surfing yes i do agree with the standing up diffence between body boarding and surfing but!, Us body boarders can do tricks which some surfers cant do we can do turns, we can invnt our on moves JUST like surfers!!!!!!! Its just bugging me at the amount of stuck up surfers who think oh nahhh it has no skill ur just sittin on a jar lid or a sponge well NEWS FLASH we have to have teqnique and skill to bodydoard we dont just sit there and go haha here comes a wave take me!!!!! We must manouver ourselfs and lne up before takin the plunge at just the amount ofrisk surfers take!!!!! Thankyou...

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Wednesday, 12 May 2010 at 4:45am

Yeah Maliboo-boo 63 lets all band together and get agro to drive the agro surfers out of the water. That sounds like a great idea, you go first though and we'll see where you get with that(punch in the head and told to fu(k off probably).

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Wednesday, 12 May 2010 at 6:27am

I was thinking a bit more creatively than that 'seal'.

Next time you see some hero trying to ride a wave, just turn your head the other way, dont watch him. If no-one watched him, he wouldnt surf.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Wednesday, 12 May 2010 at 7:45am

Maybe some over the top clapping,cheerring & whistling.Awesome!legend!Can I carry your board to your car?Make every wave he gets like a last minute goal at the grand final.Feed the cock heads ego with a shovel.If a whole line up did it he would get the message.

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Wednesday, 12 May 2010 at 10:48pm

that could work too. nice one BOB

maybe paddle out with a trophy from a junk shop and sit there and when he paddles back out hand him the trophy. that is what he wants isnt it? A trophy

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Wednesday, 12 May 2010 at 11:10pm

Maybe let the agro surfer get his fix of waves and if you cant match what he is doing on a wave stay the hell out of his way. He will get his 10 waves and leave less agro than if he only got 5 waves and had 5 kooks stuff up his other 5 waves.
Use your brains people, this person is only agro through lack of waves and too much congestion in the surf!

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 1:02am

Spot on Mal,this could be fun!How about a nice little tin sheriff badge for his wetsuit?So everyone can know how special he is?Here let me pin it on for ya Champ,opps sorry.

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 1:30am

frothant fair enough if a kookball is getting in the road of the 'angry surfer' he should be angry,

but paddling around like he is some kind of hero, trophy wanting sheriff badge wearing meathead is just not cool on land or at sea.

Once these meathead pro surfing wannabes realise that no one wants to see them surf, maybe they will quit and go back to the rugby paddock and leave the surf for the dolphins.

dork's picture
dork's picture
dork Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 1:33am

this person is only agro through lack of waves and too much congestion in the surf!

By: "antifroth"

Ha ha yeah right, this person is agro becasue they are retarded in the head, Lack of waves and congestion effects everyone in the water. Smart people share and are understanding and will get annoyed but will not get angry. Only retards think its ok to get angry and that they are more deserving of a wave than anyone else.

Are you an angry surfer antifroth, do you want a trophy?? :)

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 2:45am

Dork,
I am a happy soul in the surf and do it for the pleasure of riding waves, I do like nothing better than a solo surf and dont care if anyone is watching, isnt that what we all should do.
But I do enjoy seeing a what you call meathead trophy wannabe pro, or whatever, surfing, it is fantastic to see someone ripping the bag out of a wave. Isnt that the stuff everyone wants out of their surfing.
Maybe 1963-malibu (doubt you could even ride one though) should make a trip back to his heyday in the rugby paddok!

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 6:35am

We seem to have gotten a little side-tracked from the fact that boogers don't exibit much skill level compared to shortboard surfers.That could lead to anger in the surf though, especially when the their lack of skills cause better surfers to miss waves or have to turn around the little speed bumps floating in the way.
At my local we have quite a few agro crew but that is sometimes the only way to deal with the crowds of tourists that want to surf here on the good days. If you don't stand up for yourself you won't be getting your fair share of waves and most of the agro surfers do rip the snot out of it and are good to watch, which is a lot more than I can say for any booger or old fat fart mal riders for that matter. Oh and most of our angry local crew have more than enough trophys so maybe you'd better keep them for yourselves.

dingusmcsquidlips's picture
dingusmcsquidlips Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 8:22am

Oh dear seal you really are a tool, "most of our angry local crew have more than enough trophys so maybe you'd better keep them for yourselves.",what the fuck does that even mean?I'm not to sure where your local is (snapper?) but many a time surfing the snapper to kirra stretch which would have to be the most congested surf zone in Aus I think you're wrong and right.I'd agree that most of the boogers out there are definately kooks but most of them are young grommies.Also yes, most of the good surfers have to negotiate the speed bumps, they also do it from deep behind the rocks where the speed bumbs aren't exactly you're average kook.Where you're way off the mark is saying that boogers don't exhibit much skill level compared to shortboard surfers.A long time ago a seppo bloke made a surf movie called Momentum, seems he thought oh I'll just show some guy on a bodyboard for a whole section 'cause he actually has no skill.I remember reading a story about a bloke named Mike Stewart and something about towing in at Jaws, The crew back then thought "oh hes a bodyboarder he'll die" seems he actually helped map out the reef system there and apperantly he's still alive.fuck I could keep going, like the guy that entered a surf comp riding a boog and was told oh you have to stand up no fins no spins and actually got through a few heats just to prove a point(No he didn't get beaten he walked away).Seems that the "first" (non tahitians) to surf chopes were wait for it skilless boogie boarders.As I posted before boogers shouldn't and probably don't give a fuck what you think.
It's all about enjoying yourself.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 10:36am

Read the post from Maliboo-boo 63 and then you will see what I mean about the trophy bit.Hey we could go on for hours about the skill level of boardriders Vs boogers and it would never be settled but as the thread is titled "Why is it thought that there is no skill in bodyboarding" I think you'd want to know what the majority of surfers(standup)think. Sure you guys can get into a late sucky wave easier than us but of course you don't have to stand up do you. Oh and I enjoy surfing but I also enjoy giving you poor buggars heaps too cause you do bite so well and quickly, better than fishing anytime.

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 9:46pm

It is a huge over generalisation to say that ALL 'boogers' have no skill level. Some of them have been doing it for decades and get more barreled than pretty much anyone.

Over generalisations do not aid these forum banters.

Seal and anyone, if there are kooks on 'boogers' getting in your way, run them over and then when you paddle back out, bark at them. They need to understand they are ruining your surf. Same applies to idiots on all surf boards that get in your way, i rekon the best policy is to run them over, otherwise they will never learn and cause more problems.

Taking a kooks wave because you rekon he wont make it, that is another subject. It is a shit feeling if you let a guy have a wave and he doesnt make it, but that feeling is the same for the pro surfer wannabe as it is for everyone else.

the agro thing, that just sucks.

I disagree with the comments of 'it is great to watch a surfer rip the bags out of a wave'
may come as a shock to some jock but it is true. I just see an ego.
I prefer watching a surfer go straight and build speed.

dingusmcsquidlips Friday, 14 May 2010 at 4:10am

Pretty funny that this is the most popular thread on the forum.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Friday, 14 May 2010 at 6:04am

1963-malibu prefers watching some goose go straight and build up speed. Mate you take the award this week. Wow a trophy for you to gloat over. Tool Of The Week.

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Friday, 14 May 2010 at 6:33am

Your right 'antifroth' i would much prefer watching you take off, get your first bit of speed and try and do a turn with a hard railed board that throws lots of spray.

building speed on speed and lining up tube sections, it really is so yesterday.

What is good surfing froth ant?

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Saturday, 15 May 2010 at 12:29am

Hey 'froth' whats wrong with going straight anyway, you know thats about the only thing that mals can do well. Nobody wants to see tight turns in the pocket or deep tuberides when you can watch some old fat fuck burning down the line running over boogers and kooks on their mal after giving their trophys to all the agro locals to make fools of them!Isn't that right Boo-Boo 63?
This thread is great, hope we can keep it going.Who knows me might even get a booger to say something intelligent ie "it dosn't take as much skill to ride a boogie board as it does a shortboard"
We might need to get to 100pages for that to happen though!

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Saturday, 15 May 2010 at 11:29pm

Seal I reckon you are right, we should all just go straight. Nothing better than burning down the line at top speed.
Malibu-1963 you are the next big thing, where do you surf because I want to grab a six pack and sit and watch you surf. You obviously are the one seting the new standards.

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Sunday, 16 May 2010 at 12:05am

Nothing new about going fast 'froth'.

The question still hasnt been answered, what is good surfing?

If you watch a guy take off do a bottom turn and go straight and line up a tube, come out and keep charging down the line, is that as 'good' as watching Fick Manning go up and down slash and bash rip and ride and do 10 impressive turns while the other guy only did one?

What is good surfing?

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Sunday, 16 May 2010 at 1:05am

Good surfing is seeing mick fanning going up and down and ripping the bag out of a wave, good surfing is seeing anyone master the craft that they are riding, and I am sure that it does involve turns and cutbacks. Kelly Slater is a good example of good surfing, he makes everything look effortless and he gains more speed than just about anyone who has ever stepped on a surfboard.
That is good surfing!

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Sunday, 16 May 2010 at 11:13am

You guys have been at it since the 11th March and filled 13 pages, haven't settled the argument. You shown where your ego or your identity lie FFS just invent a new topic not BBs are gay or offshoots, better still just go surfing!

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Monday, 17 May 2010 at 8:46am

There isnt an argument anymore 'Jaffa'

Everyone has come to the conclusion that yeah ok 'boogers' can surf some charge hard and some are total kooks. A bit like every other form of surfcraft, there are kooks galore.

The banter is that advanced surfers should not deviate their line if some kook gets in their way, just run over them. This should speed up their learning curve for kooks to learn the rules that a surfer on a wave has right of way.

now the discussion has turned to 'what is good surfing'?

I rekon it is any surfer who is surfing in control and making the wave (with their own style) and not getting in peoples way.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Monday, 17 May 2010 at 11:09am

There isnt an argument anymore 'Jaffa'

Everyone has come to the conclusion that yeah ok 'boogers' can surf some charge hard and some are total kooks. A bit like every other form of surfcraft, there are kooks galore.

The banter is that advanced surfers should not deviate their line if some kook gets in their way, just run over them. This should speed up their learning curve for kooks to learn the rules that a surfer on a wave has right of way.

now the discussion has turned to 'what is good surfing'?

I rekon it is any surfer who is surfing in control and making the wave (with their own style) and not getting in peoples way.

By: "1963-malibu"

Control and making the wave item 1 item 2 having a go at improving what you do in the water bettering your own efforts.
item 3 having fun and matching your surf vehicle of choice to the wave you are riding. IMO some spots just fit the craft, mal short board, eskie etc and only the really skilled can push beyond each crafts inherent limitations.
BTW before bodyboards there were plywood paipos that went where no board could go and no-one has mention plain good bodysurfing!
In conclusion no-one has fun in a combat zone surf!

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Tuesday, 18 May 2010 at 12:30am

Surf schools dont help the situation much.Their emphasis is on getting you standing the first day,thats what its all about isnt it?Instant surfer,yeh right.Surf shops are just as bad,asked about techniques for getting a mal out.The answers nose over,punch through,roll,ok good & then this gem,if it gets to hard just pitch & dive.He went a bit sheepish on me when I asked if that would make me popular.I guess saying eat it or piss off away from people & practice isnt going to sell a board is it?A lot of kooks must get set up to fail right from the start.Good surfing?1 Other peoples safety. 2 Other peoples ride.3 Your ride,whatever that happens to be.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Tuesday, 18 May 2010 at 1:59am

Spongebob, yep surf schools and shop reps have a lot to answer for, people are getting in way beyond their abilities, it is a shame now with all the kooks in the surf, fucken hassles galore. Not allowed by law to punch anyone, get in trouble for telling them to go learn somewhere else.
P.S. there is NO SKILL in bodyboarding and their whole angle of getting in deeper has fallen to bits in the last 10 years with the advent of the jet ski.
No point in arguing with this one because I am yet to see a booger actually make surfing look good, just plain dick dragging softcocks.
Like the saying goes "they are as soft as the boards they ride"

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Tuesday, 18 May 2010 at 4:34am

Yeh antifroth,he lost his chance of selling me a board with that one,he knew it to.He lost his credibility & I stopped listening.Test ride?no thanks.

dannyboy480's picture
dannyboy480's picture
dannyboy480 Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 1:47am

fark you blokes make me laugh. This thread has been entertaining me since it's creation.

The funny thing is I can bloody guarantee 99% of you are shocking surfers regardless of what you ride.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 2:46am

Welcome to the toilet Dannyboy.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 3:38am

So Dannyboy, you must be the 1% hey.Hope you standup though,to take a piss and on your board.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 4:14am

Oh Seal where are your manners!It's a privilege for us all when a surf god comes to visit the slum!

dannyboy480's picture
dannyboy480's picture
dannyboy480 Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 5:12am

So Dannyboy, you must be the 1% hey.

By: "seal"

that's not for me to decide seal... but what I can say is that in my 20yrs of riding a lid and a stick I've never looked at anyone differently based on what they rode.. but on how they surfed.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 5:53am

And Dannyboy480 I bet you are a kook on both sorts of equipment. 20 years on a lid, how bloody boring.

hirsute's picture
hirsute's picture
hirsute Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 11:12am

I remember the line from a song a late mate of mine wrote- "boogie board rider find out what your legs are for"- in a bluesy F# sort of feel. Simple biomechanics it's easier to lie on your guts than stand up. How come no-one minds knee boarders, but,boogers seem to draw the battlelines ?

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 10:51pm

I dont get it.

Why are 'stand up surfers' putting so much shit on boogie boarders?

DO YOU REALLY WANT THEM TO THROW THEIR LIDS AWAY AND START RIDING WHAT YOU ARE RIDING?

let them be gut sliders, let people do what they want to do and IF THEY GET IN YOUR WAY, irrespective of what surf craft they are riding, run them over!

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 20 May 2010 at 10:33am

Shit Maliboo-boo that is the most intelligent post you have made, the part about starting to ride standups makes sense as then we'd ding our boards running them over. Yep you gut sliders keep doing what your doing, won't cost me near as much in ding repairs!

wax-on-danielson's picture
wax-on-danielson's picture
wax-on-danielson Monday, 24 May 2010 at 6:05am

there are shit bodyboarders just like there are shit surfers. the main difference is that any kook who goes to the beach once a year can come down and ride a wave on a lid but getting up on a surfboard requires slightly more skill (but not much).
at the end of the day lids have pushed surfers to ride waves like cyclops and cape salamander. cause you can't really call a lid a dog faggot if you don't even have the balls to surf the same spots
a lot of surfers seem to think they are mad sick cause they ride a stand-up but that's the only reason they even bother cause it makes them think they are mad sick.

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Tuesday, 25 May 2010 at 3:12am

that was beautiful, anyone got a tissue ?

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Tuesday, 25 May 2010 at 11:00am

Tissue?No bloody tissue here mate,just sand paper bog roll & some Brasso for your nuts!

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Wednesday, 2 Jun 2010 at 9:54am

SILLY topic "Why is it thought that there is no skill in bodyboarding?"
Because their is no skill kiddies do it up to the age of 4-5 than progress to surfing

dingusmcsquidlips Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 8:55am

this topic rules, it's just like a punching bag full of air

dingusmcsquidlips Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 8:58am

how many posts to go ?this will be swellnets first slow.(thread that slowly fills up, topics are usually shitdribble, this is a perfect example)

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 9:39am

so we are all in agreeance THERE IS NO SKILL IN RIDING A BOOGER UBLESS YOU ARE UNDER 8 YEARS OLD. FINISH THREAD

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 11:40am

COMMING SOON- WHY IS IT THOUGHT THAT THERE IS NO SKILL IN BODYBOARDING?..RELOADED

thetwig's picture
thetwig's picture
thetwig Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 10:09pm

ok look,
when i started this thread all i wanted to say is that there is SOME skill in bodyboarding! Yes i know that there is MORE skill in surfing! So rule303 if there is NO skill in bodyboardin then how can body boarders actually balance on their boards? Or make the drop? Or turn and do tricks?
And yes it is somethiing an 8 yr old can do but it takes a while to learn everything you can do on a bodyboard, judging the tides, knowing your limits, understtanding the waves, knowing the rules of the ocean etc etc etc this all comes into acount when you judge how much skill is in bodyboardin.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 5 Jun 2010 at 9:55am

TWIG "So rule303 if there is NO skill in bodyboardin then how can body boarders actually balance on their boards? Or make the drop? Or turn and do tricks?"

I actually prefer the term boogen instead of body boarding much closer to bogan, as to your questions
1) how can body boarders actually balance on their boards?
they are laying on their guts not that hard surely boogers are not claiming balance as a skill funny if they are
2)Or make drop ?
yeah german tourist do it all the time all over the world maybe your trying to say boogers do not drown as often
3)Or turn and do tricks?"
Again turning is a skill in the boogers repetoire sad, as for tricks i assume your mentioning the little twirls you all do dont worry i always scream WEEEEEE when it see it done, very impressive WEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEE

Seeing you started the thread sum it up what skill is involved you have not convinced me
yet even george greenough has credibility riding surf mats

&feature=related
90% of you boogers could not even do that
BOOGENS have nothing

thetwig's picture
thetwig's picture
thetwig Sunday, 6 Jun 2010 at 8:18am

well rule303,
where just going to have to agree to disagree.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Monday, 7 Jun 2010 at 1:19am

Still gay.
Refer to the other thread for the general consensus on the whole debacle

djb's picture
djb's picture
djb Monday, 7 Jun 2010 at 4:28am

Boogin Takes Hardly Any Skill Comapred To Surfing. I Don't Mind If There's Boogers That Are Actually Good At What They Say They Are Good At. But What Pisses Me Off Is Little Shits Who Think They Are The Next Big Thing And Have No Respect For Surfers And Drop In On Everyone. I Reckon Boogin Is Just A Fad Like First It Was Scooters Now This Its Things That Kids Can Do If The Are Shit At Everything Else Because Its Soo Easy To Do Unless You Are Doin The More Complicated Things. I Will Have Some Respect For Good Boogers When They Have Respect For Surfers And Learn Their Place In The Lineup. Alot Of Them Have Gotta Stop Making Shithead Comments To Surfers Aswell Or There Gonna End Up Getting Punched In The Face. Until Boogers Have Some Respect I Have No Respect For Them Cos Its Easy As Shit Unless You Are Actually Doin Inverts And I Have Never Met A Booger That Can Do Them.

dingusmcsquidlips Monday, 7 Jun 2010 at 9:37am

thats awesome rule 303 surf mats are fuckin sweet, I got a flash back watching that, now I know where fanning got his boogen style from.And you're right about the twirly thing I just call emm wizzies and think the same thing weeee weeeee.
I also see surfers doing 10 shitty forced turns and jump up and down on a fat section and scream weeee weeee.
And heres the good bit the weeeee weeee scrream means the same thing "gotta get them points the judges will love me and I can get through this heat then everyone will wank off in my mouth weeee weeee".
djb I can only go by your comment, you must surf shitty fat waves.
thetwig you're right and thank you for starting something that has given all of us something to do.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Tuesday, 8 Jun 2010 at 1:22am

Was going to write something but just had a booger minute and couldn't be fucked. Heaps easier to just lie down!