Why is it thought that there is no skill in bodyboarding?

thetwig's picture
thetwig started the topic in Thursday, 11 Mar 2010 at 10:14am

I really get peeved when some surfers say the there is no skill in bodyboarding when infact its just as hard as surfing yes i do agree with the standing up diffence between body boarding and surfing but!, Us body boarders can do tricks which some surfers cant do we can do turns, we can invnt our on moves JUST like surfers!!!!!!! Its just bugging me at the amount of stuck up surfers who think oh nahhh it has no skill ur just sittin on a jar lid or a sponge well NEWS FLASH we have to have teqnique and skill to bodydoard we dont just sit there and go haha here comes a wave take me!!!!! We must manouver ourselfs and lne up before takin the plunge at just the amount ofrisk surfers take!!!!! Thankyou...

gannet's picture
gannet's picture
gannet Tuesday, 8 Jun 2010 at 4:36am

Funny, I don't see many lids around anymore.
Until I read this I thought they'd kinda gone out of fashion

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Tuesday, 8 Jun 2010 at 10:06am

Dingus you are a tool mate. I just can't seem to make sense of your posts?

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 at 10:41am

DINGUS great post tell you mates you have to scream WEEE WEEEE or WIZZ WIZZ when you see a booger doing what they call tricks agree
with the comp thing
Good luck riding a mat like george greenough boogers, more proof of no credibility.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 3:32am

Show me a booger that can do half the shit that Dane Reynolds is doing and then I may half accept your argument. Look hard boogers cause you little gut sliders have got a lot of ground to catch up with the new generation of surfers. I bet you can't find anything that compares!

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 4:17am

Forget Reynolds check out Clay Marzo, makes Reynolds look like an old man.

You a correct though Antifroth, look at surfing 15 years ago and see how far it has come and do the same with bodyboarding,you will find that gut slider are producing the same shit. It adds more weight to the argument that boogers have no skill.

ftl's picture
ftl's picture
ftl Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 9:58am

Forget Reynolds check out Clay Marzo, makes Reynolds look like an old man.

You a correct though Antifroth, look at surfing 15 years ago and see how far it has come and do the same with bodyboarding,you will find that gut slider are producing the same shit. It adds more weight to the argument that boogers have no skill.

By: "mtw"

If one did their homework one would find themselves to be fundamentally wrong? Look at the progression shown by Jeff Hubbard with new maneuvers. Every year bodyboarders boost bigger and bigger off bigger sections and find heavier, more remote waves through exploration. If thats not change then you aren't retarted, which funnily enough is an impossibility, but is also a true statement.

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 11:07pm

ftl is fundamentally wrong.

ftl's picture
ftl's picture
ftl Friday, 11 Jun 2010 at 3:11am

is not

dingusmcsquidlips's picture
dingusmcsquidlips Friday, 11 Jun 2010 at 7:11am

why care?
since when is there a need to fulfill an obligation of making sense when posting on any internet forum?
This is hardly an intellectual debate.
God bless George and his hallucinagetically addled brain.
In the beginning all surfers were recognized as dropouts of society and renegades.
Now that the lifestyle is recognized as a legitimate passtime and one which has become a tool of capitalism, does this change the one and only simple aspect our common playground?
;that we all are subject to the whim of what huey delivers us, from shitty flat spells to swells that are too large but yet so perfect,rock ledges full of sharks,perfect sandy points full of fuckwits.
I'd rather be considered a homosexual boogie boarder kook than some fuckstick suit wearing slave to consumerism that thinks salt water will ruin my hair and sand is yucky.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Friday, 11 Jun 2010 at 7:46am

Dingus HISTORY LESSON in the beginning surfers were hawaiian royalty, the best surfed the best breaks on their olo's the commoners surfered their alaia's on their designated beaches, the kiddies and woman surfed Paipo's (todays boogers could be put in that category but it does an injustice to the paipo).
Maybe its time you moved on from being a "homosexual boogie boarder kook" (your words), we crawl we stand up if a 1yr old can do it so can you

As for the tool of capitalism do not buy any product from the majors get your boards done from local shaper (boogers can make their own out of wood hardly any great design issues)
Do not buy your shirts boardies westsuits from a major global corporation simple.
Much like boogers i drop in on anyone with to much bling in the surf.

Sandy points are not always full of fuckwits just seems like that when your a booger as you do not count your just a speed bump in someones way.

dingusmcsquidlips Friday, 11 Jun 2010 at 8:48am

Thanks for the history lesson, if you want to put it that way only royalty have the right to surf the best breaks, so all of us convicts can forget it.
On top of that fishermen in canoes beat all of us so therefore (hate to say it) goat boaters have more of a right than all.
"being" and "considerd" are vastly different concepts.
I personally do not buy or wear any "surf brand" of clothing, as for equipment it is unavoidable that our cash goes to some one earning a living.
What we are born to do, crawl, learn to talk, learn to walk, does not directly relate to what we do for liesure in this ( I understand the irony ) modern world.
As for the sandy point bit, I should apologize, I was thinking of the ones I've experienced (mainly a certain few Qld ones) if the joint(s) you're talking about are'nt full of fuckwits you might want to keep them a bit quiet and good luck to you.
And just for shits and gigs, most guys on thrusters and mals will drop in on everyone at those points and the look on their face when it's a booger that pushes them off the wave is priceless.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Friday, 11 Jun 2010 at 10:40pm

Dingus fuck off to fluid zone.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Friday, 11 Jun 2010 at 10:45pm

Dingus I want you to provide a photo of how much of a hell man you are. Show us a shot of you pulling into Cyclops or some other heavy wave or else just shut the hell up. Sick of your whinning, tools like you are the reason we don't tollerate lids at most breaks. Show it or shut it!

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Friday, 11 Jun 2010 at 10:46pm

P.S. Greenough was not into hallucigins. Just a smart eccentric person.

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Saturday, 12 Jun 2010 at 6:25am

agree on greenough, a genius would be harder to find.

can i give a history lesson too?

You might think the Hawaiian and the 'sport of kings' is the true history, BUT, history as the story goes, is written by the winners. (Alex Haley)

Step back for a second and think rationally and forget everything you think you might know about history.

we were primal beings on this earth....once upon a time.

fishermen would go out to sea in some sort of boat and try to catch food to eat and survive.

what do you think these fishermen did when they came back to shore?

do you think they caught a wave in?
what do you think they did when they caught that wave?
is that surfing?
maybe they were catching waves and spearing fish while they were riding along?

Maybe surfing should be called 'the sport of fishermen'.

Then again, lets not forget the gold layered version of history that surfing wants to sell us, kings and shit. Come on, live the dream, buy the products people.

Full respect to every hawaiian bra out there,

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Saturday, 12 Jun 2010 at 8:23am

Getting sick of this shit, Dingus think of some other trivial crap that we can argue over. For fuck sake, you are the one out of all of us who is the most full of shit. :)

brettles's picture
brettles's picture
brettles Saturday, 12 Jun 2010 at 10:10am

hey all.ok first things first i ride a lid.just a my opinion on this thread, you can argue over this topic to the cows come home, and bugger me its been going on for years.and at the end of the day both sides are never going to aggree. but fuck me there two different forms of wave riding. which both have there own individual skills. its like trying to compare skiing to snowboarding, water skiiing to wakeboarding. all sports require some form off skill.and all are different in there own right. personally i couldnt give a shit if poeple think riding a lid has no skill. as long your out there amongst it and having fun, well thats all that. respect each other, the waters for everyone to enjoy. topics over.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 12 Jun 2010 at 11:00am

brettles boogers are still gay & have no credibility nothing on this forum has changed my belief,by the way today i dropped in on 8 boogers in one 2 hour session

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Saturday, 12 Jun 2010 at 12:38pm

Wow 8 boogers in two hours,you hero! I bet they were all big mean looking fuckers too.

brettles's picture
brettles's picture
brettles Saturday, 12 Jun 2010 at 7:50pm

brettles boogers are still gay & have no credibility nothing on this forum has changed my belief,by the way today i dropped in on 8 boogers in one 2 hour session

By: "rule303"

sweet mate were all entitled to our own opinion... wow 8 drop ins 2 hours, thats awesome! you must be pretty tough. i bet your the heavy local the everyone fears in the lineup. much respect.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Sunday, 13 Jun 2010 at 7:22am

In my defense your honour i let the grommets on surfboards have the waves they wanted as they should be encouraged, even if it was my turn. Boogers be they grommets or adults have no credibilty & should not be playing on a wave that has travelled across the pacific to only be wasted on a gut slider screaming weee weeee when they do their tricks

Kind of bored with this forum the votes are in Boogers have nothing.

slidesomefoam's picture
slidesomefoam's picture
slidesomefoam Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 9:56am

MO = stand ups want to look cool

&

bodyboarders are chill.

could of just said ur riddiculous generalisations that simply because in essence, that is what you wrote.

You might as well write that all mexicans are lazy, and asians are short. Well I know a tall asian! and well... I know several lazy mexicans... but i bet its not always true!

You tried your ahrdest to sound ever so smart talking about evolution etc, only to make dumb ass generalisations of surfers and boogs.

useless

By: "eeks"

one of the best opinions i've heard on this post, short minded surfer.

ftl's picture
ftl's picture
ftl Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 1:07pm

&playnext_from=TL&videos=jw4aKhaxSmc

if any surfer can watch that whole bit including the shippies at the end and still think bodyboarding is shit then you my friend are truly from the bottom of the sink.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 9:53pm

Watched it and still think there is no skill in bodyboarding. Not one of them made it to their feet and all of em went straigt. Not sold!

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 10:13pm

ftl, seriously, who f*%&en cares, you guys keep going on about it... no surfers will ever agree with you, what do you want? You want all surfers to accept you and give you a nice cuddle and say it's OK to ride a booger? Give it a rest will ya !

ftl's picture
ftl's picture
ftl Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 11:30pm

this forum will never reflect factual and true opinions that people have as they will never act in accordance with those opinions in real life, surfers don't actively hunter boogers, while they do drop in, but thats just prickness which they show to other people around them and shows that in general they are an incosiderate and impolite individual toward all other people not just boogers.

by extension this thread is just an argument it doesn't matter who wins but for arguments sake lets keep on arguing until somebody wins, ie. boogers aren't gay and have skillz, or boogers are just shit. so carry on gents, because it doesnt matter what we say here in real life, but in order to answer the question posed in the OP it is necessary to provide evidence and refute that evidence.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 4:26am

WTF this thread too! Don't you little boys get it, WE DON"T GIVE A FUCK!
As it's been said before try fluidzone, there you can talk yourselves up as much as you want and nobody will bag you out.
But make sure you ask mummy first before you play on daddy's computer ok.

huntie's picture
huntie's picture
huntie Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 9:03am

Well boyz.... the truth is everone justifies there own position

I like commodores so Fords are crap and vica versa

I rode a stand up for 35 years always looking for the biggest waves

The switched to bodyboarding for 15 years and looked for the waves stand ups could not handle ... like the groin at Noosa and Glenuse at Point Lonsdale.... and now have got too old and fat to manage either so have picked up a jetski with sled , tow rope and camera and can tell you all that the waves are what it is all about.

So call me daddy if you like but lets all rip or get pitted

Meanos as stand up

And Meanos as booga

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 10:10am

huntie first photo sounds like whoo 2nd photo sounds like weeee weeee
BOOGERS ARE STILL GAY

huntie's picture
huntie's picture
huntie Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 11:52am

Ah well

It is the waves that make it all happen

Tomorrow looks nice for early

Central Coast: Cape Otway to Wilsons Promontory

Forecast for Friday

Winds: North to northwesterly 20 to 30 knots tending west to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots during the early afternoon. Seas: 2 to 3 metres. Swell: Southwesterly 2 metres.

Get out there early

This is me

dingusmcsquidlips Friday, 25 Jun 2010 at 5:36am

yep, it is all about the waves and if you are taking things so seriously in this seriously pointless debate, the question should be why are you involved at all?

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Friday, 25 Jun 2010 at 6:05am

Well said Dingus, said like a trully gay gut slider.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Friday, 25 Jun 2010 at 7:37am

Hey dingus a goat boater & a german tourist in pink speedos said the same thing to me last week, Its all about the waves
cannot wait till this stupid thread & stupid comments stop, but until it does i'll be here awaiting your insightful justification of a truly gay pastime boogie boarding WEEEEE WEEEEEEEEE WEEEEE i just did a trick WEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEE

JR05's picture
JR05's picture
JR05 Wednesday, 4 Apr 2018 at 5:35am

I hate it when surfers drop in on me. Like when you take off on a super deep barrel and you get pitted out of the world then make the barrel and a surfer drops in, it is the worst thing ever.

joesydney's picture
joesydney's picture
joesydney Wednesday, 4 Apr 2018 at 2:09pm

So here it is:
I spent 10-15 yrs on a booger within 6yrs I had been to Hawaii 3 for seasons on the North Shore, surfed pipe, backdoor, logs. Spent time in Puerto, chasing slabs at Shark Island, South Coast blah blah you get the drift.
At a point during a trip to Mexico I finally ditched the sponge and devoted myself full time to surfing and 15 yrs later here is the reality of the situation, I would be driftwood in a pipe line up on a surfboard, I would not have a hope of dropping into a backdoor wave. The reality is bodyboarding is a piece of pi$$ compared to surfing, looking back now it's actually a bit sad that anyone with a reasonable set of gonads could paddle out pipe on a sponge and expect to compete for waves. Competing with guys on surfboards who are at the top of their game and have devoted their time to honing skills that allows them to surf pipe on a surfboard. (I have not ridden a sponge in 15yrs and I would have no problems picking up a sponge and paddling out pipe tomorrow.)
Each to their own when it comes to picking what you ride but don't delude yourself in thinking that the skill level is the same.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Thursday, 5 Apr 2018 at 8:55pm

Interesting topic , it might be easier and less to learn but thats a choice .
Bodyboarders have found waves and pioneered certain famed breaks . Paddling out to these breaks on a lid is gutsy because your more open to shark attacks on a boog .
Modern shortboarders learned new lines that the bodyboarders drew first in slab waves .
It is much easier to ride certain waves than standup surfing is i reckon.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 5 Apr 2018 at 9:42am

Nice one joesydney. I appreciate your insight and honesty. Clearly the boogers need schooling by one of their own because...well.. err...to put it nicely ...they are totally fucking delusional

"....it's actually a bit sad that anyone with a reasonable set of gonads could paddle out pipe on a sponge and expect to compete for waves. "

Certainly is sad.

Sad they even think they have the right to mix it with serious surfers.

More delusion as to their place in the world. Respect is earned. If you're flapping around on a booger....back of the line!

Let the adults who've strived to take this past time serious have a go first.

Even if you're deluded perception tells you you're one of the few 'making' the waves.

That's not to say boogers don't have a place. Just know where it is. Same goes for SUPs.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 5 Apr 2018 at 4:16pm

skill? you mean like how james taylor is a much more skilled guitarist than dee dee ramone...

look long and hard down the road to skill beofre you venture that way...it leads to prog folk rock and other baroque bullshit.

GreenCT's picture
GreenCT's picture
GreenCT Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 9:31am

wow I have just looked at this thread for the first time and I think people are just deluded in the importance of surfing and the "skills" they have developed. This grants them the right to be higher in the pecking order.

We are just pinching a bit of amazing energy that mother earth creates and if we are lucky can get completely emersed in it. But somehow greed and ego dominate the line ups and it will get worse as more and more people join in.

Next time you are out surfing challenge yourself after paddling back out for a wave and instead of frothing to get another one coach a grom or someone of less skill level into a wave. Shit when I was growing up and learning if I got one or two waves off the pack that was a great surf but they stuck in my mind. Make someone elses day what ever they are riding.

As to the whole debate there is a certain wave that turns on at home in big storms behind a groyne. On its day it can be perfect but you just cannot get into these waves on a surfboard. Freefall drop over dry sand a metre in front of a groyne. I watched a guy try and catch a wave standing up and after his first wave was carted off in an ambulance.

On the best of best days it provided three sections you could stay inside for. So I can sit on my arse at home or put the surfboard away and and go and have a blast on a body board. I want to be good on as many craft as possible and ride what works on the day.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 11:48am

"I think people are just deluded in the importance of surfing and the "skills" they have developed. This grants them the right to be higher in the pecking order."

It most definitely does in my book. Time spent developing those skills and mastering a spot should be rewarded by better waves. Part of that comes with the territory, the richer your knowledge the better your positioning etc, but newcomers should never think they're on a par with people who've committed their lives to a spot. Spice it up with some competition if you want, but always remember who you should ultimately defer to.

None of this precludes experienced surfers from giving tips to young groms or even gormless beginners.

I'm proud to live in a place where a surfing hierarchy still exists so the crew who've committed themselves to the wave get their share AND they nurture the young kids coming through. Maintenance of this structure, which has proven to be the best working model for surf spots, is incumbent upon everyone knowing their place.

Egalitarians and adult learners who think everything is equal in the lineup should, to put it bluntly, get out of the water. Come back when they understand how it works.

GreenCT's picture
GreenCT's picture
GreenCT Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 2:05pm

I get that there has to be a pecking order and rules otherwise chaos and danger esculates.
At many spots it has to be serious as it does become dangerous and people not capable should not be out there.

But with increasing crowds you are going to get a greater number who have the skills and believe they are in group A. Its just the law of averages so either the level of agression in the water is going to continue to rise or people will have to accept a lower wave count.

And on some days when its average and busy people need to relax and not take it so seriously.

I just wish instead of wave pools someone could push for a sand holding technique better than a groyne to make more waves.

I think a large mat imbedded by pins and using the existing anti scouring technology they use in the offshore pipelines imitating the plants that trap and hold sand could set up a series of a frames just offshore of a beach without impacting on lateral drift.

Something that costs in the same order of a new sports ground.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 3:59pm

Don't know what you mean? I call heaps of inexperienced guys into waves. Granted , they are always the ugly , unmakable double suck close outs.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 6:28pm

Riding 2 to 6 ft waves is easy. It’s not a highly-skilled activity.
The basics are mastered in three months when you’re 12. Another two years in the water and you’re good to go for most things up to triple overhead for the rest of your life.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 6:00pm

Interesting thoughts..personally i don't believe in a pecking order at most breaks.

The person furthest out in the inside position has the right to the wave even if they are a kook or bodyboarder, if they blow it then you can take off.

I guess the only time a real pecking order comes into things is in more serious waves where some can take off deeper than others, which is kind of strange to think that in that case bodyboarders could be at the top of the pecking order as can take off where stand ups can't.

All that said just because you may be able to take off deeper surfboard or lid, doesn't mean you don't have to wait your turn and paddle deep straight away.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 6:20pm

I agree with Stu and similarly am lucky to surf where there is still a strong local surfing culture that includes recognising respectful and capable surfers from other areas. I think indo misses the advantages of paddling power in maintaining the hierarchy, which explains my distaste for over-sized equipment. In part this is about how you view the future of surfing. The trend at the moment is to more and more surfers of a progressively lower average standard. The future of that trend is easy to predict. The only way to reverse that is through strong local surfing communities that demand respect and encourage their local talent rather than allow it to be drowned in a sea of incompetents.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 8:13pm

Volume of numbers is the big enemy we face in regulation of line ups. Places like Sandon, Lennox and the like still hold onto a modicum of ordinance. And then you have The Pass or the Superbank, complete disaster zones...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 7 Apr 2018 at 11:55am

Locally there are a couple of problems. The first is when the waves are standing up enough for mals to catch them before they hit the bank so the "go straight and pose" crew try to dominate the set waves. What a waste. The second is when the mals drag the crowd a couple of metres further out from the best take off position resulting in missed take offs. But hey, we have solutions!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 8 Apr 2018 at 7:53am

:

rooftop's picture
rooftop's picture
rooftop Monday, 9 Apr 2018 at 3:20am

I don't like having to hustle for waves in a lineup. Never have. But most surfers quickly learn that if you don't square your shoulders and stake your claim you'll be bypassed by those that do.

You may be object to a pecking order, or you may insist on one. But regardless, one always exists. Put a bunch of guys in a lineup waiting for waves, and magically, an unspoken hierarchy appears. God knows how it works, but it does.

Apart from surfing ability, reputation, and outright aggression, I guess there's a bunch of subtle cues that signal one's status. Voice tone, posture...

Ah, it's getting late. I'm rambling. Wasn't this thread about bodyboarding? Someone help me out.