Hospital treatment in Indonesia for locals

gingeryeti's picture
gingeryeti started the topic in Wednesday, 6 Dec 2023 at 4:59pm

How does it work compared to Australia? I have a driver friend I've used in Indo many times hitting me up for assistance related to medical costs associated with treatment/amputation for diabetic necrosis. I'm happy to act as an intermediary and even contribute to a GoFundMe. Does the hospital invoice you or do you prepay treatment? If the GoFundMe is successful I can transfer from Australia to Indonesian bank?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 3:51pm

This will probably be of little help but this is what i know.

Basically its all pretty much like Australia in a way

For instance medical services in the public system can be free to dirt cheap, and there is a scheme where locals pay Rp100,000 (about $10AUD) a month to the government for the whole family and it makes most things free in the public system .

But in the public system there is also very long waiting list for operations etc (just like public system in Aust)

Then you have the private system where you can get in very fast but if not insured it can also be crazy expensive like thousand's to tens of thousands AUD, especially if through private and International standard hospitals.

Ive helped pay for family in Indo when they couldn't wait in public system like broken legs etc, but not sure how it was billed.

Regarding transfer money from Aust to Indo bank accounts, yes thats no issue can do it through your bank even online but need swift code, or better still through a payment system like wise, quick & cheap and dont need swift code.

I saw you also asked in Indonesian surf travel group i manage, maybe try joining a more expat type social media group for Bali they will have better knowledge.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 4:01pm

BTW. In Jakarta after a long flight from Aus and not much sleep, i awoke and i went from a A/C room to super hot humid bathroom at 3:00am sat on the toilet and somehow passed out, smashed my head on the floor with a bad gash on my forehead, i went to a 24hr clinic and could see them asleep inside, so we banged on the window/door.

They woke up, gave me a few stitches, gave me a bag of blue pills and pink pills to take every day.

And it cost me about $30AUD all up, and i dont know what those pills were but i healed super quick and never felt any pain the whole time, and i felt so so good.

I expect one pill was an antibiotic and the other some crazy shit for pain.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 6:04pm

IndoDreaming. Glad you are ok, consequences could have been dire. Safe travels to you and your family.AW

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 6:11pm

Lucky Indo glad you are ok, have you checked that your BP is not too low. Send the pink pills, I've got enough blue pills from my last Bangknob trip hahahahaha

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 8:29pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

BTW. In Jakarta after a long flight from Aus and not much sleep, i awoke and i went from a A/C room to super hot humid bathroom at 3:00am sat on the toilet and somehow passed out, smashed my head on the floor with a bad gash on my forehead, i went to a 24hr clinic and could see them asleep inside, so we banged on the window/door.

They woke up, gave me a few stitches, gave me a bag of blue pills and pink pills to take every day.

And it cost me about $30AUD all up, and i dont know what those pills were but i healed super quick and never felt any pain the whole time, and i felt so so good.

I expect one pill was an antibiotic and the other some crazy shit for pain.

Was this recent mate?
Cepat sembuh ya!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 10:46pm

yeh, heavy. I read this as present-tense at first, then realised it was an older story. Glad it worked out okay @indo.

(I loved that photo posted by @stu a while back, like, 'I know this shit is all probably worth it but fark I just need a gudang and a bit of time to regroup'.)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 8:31pm

Hmmm ive only just seen this thread again doesnt seem to be popping up on the front page, but went looking for it after AlfredWallace weird comment in the Gaza thread.

Reading my comment i can see how people might have read it as being recent, I should have put "years ago" in front of "in Jakarta"

Sorry for the confusion but No it was not recently, sadly i didn't even get to Indo this year as all $$$ and time going into a build, already got Indo tickets for next year though.

BTW. It did work out okay, at the time i was stressing though just got to Indo frothing on going to Mentawais latter that morning and wife was going to Java to family, after it happened she was trying to convince me to go to Java and heal up, but i was like no sorry im not missing my flight to Padang that was departing only a few hours latter, i think i stayed out of the water for a few days to ensure it sealed/healed up, and yeah it did heal/seal up quickly and I had a good trip.