Post Covid travel insurance

Henno's picture
Henno started the topic in Sunday, 13 Aug 2023 at 9:30am

Heading to the Telos in a few weeks. Can anybody recommend a travel insurance mob? What is the top priority for most people? Medivac? Board replacement?

My experience has been pre covid on a World Surfaris boat trip they insist on travel insurance and recommended QBE so I went with them. Bugger me if Crapstar didn’t cancel my flight out of Brisbane. Quick phone call to QBE and they said I could use up to $5000 to keep going. Paid an exorbitant amount at the Virgin counter and ended up arriving in Bali before the crapstar flight would have landed. QBE paid out.

Now I notice a lot of them,QBE included, have a clause saying they don’t cover continuing your trip if flight is cancelled due to mechanical or scheduling issues. I would not be surprised if this is coz crapstar were costing them a fortune in claims as they do it so often.

It’s not a big issue for this trip as I’m going to Medan with Singapore Airlines, I promise not to look lustfully at the flight attendants.

So I suppose the best info on this subject would come from people that have made claims. The worst company out there will take your money year after year. I used Allianz recently for a Rote trip simply because they had a clause that said they’d cover you for flight cancellation if you had pre paid accomodation, travel or wedding/funeral you were going to and I WAS travelling with Deathstar. Never made a claim but have since seen a lot of bad reviews of ppl get dicked around for months when making a claim.

Chers
Henno

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 11:41am

Well I didn’t see that coming. Skin cancers and whale carcasses get replies but not surf travel insurance. Is there a taboo I don’t know about? Maybe real men don’t buy travel insurance. Got me farked.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 11:55am

I've used Nomad in past and they were great re medical. Was evacuated once out of indo.
Now use Covermore, due to pre existing medical condition that Nomad won't cover. Fortunately never had to use them...
https://www.worldnomads.com/au/travel-insurance?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3Jan...

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 8:47pm
Henno wrote:

Well I didn’t see that coming. Skin cancers and whale carcasses get replies but not surf travel insurance. Is there a taboo I don’t know about? Maybe real men don’t buy travel insurance. Got me farked.

Henno. Hi. You’d know this, you’ve done it yourself, it’s hard to get motivated to punch a keyboard when you’re on the ‘not going on a surf trip’ side of the keyboard.

Similarly, a postcard. What are they really about ?

My take, in a nutshell, A post card is hello from wherever , bad luck, great weather here, , get fucked I’m on holidays, you’re not , suck eggs, bye.

Last Oct/Nov. Myself and two mates , Sumatra, Ments etc .used CoverMore again, got the lot medivac etc. $450 the lot me, mate one year older, $550, other mate two year older $650

With what went down recently between Nias and Banyaks, it’s cheap, life’s joys are worth more than that price. AW

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 11:18am
andy-mac wrote:

I've used Nomad in past and they were great re medical. Was evacuated once out of indo.
Now use Covermore, due to pre existing medical condition that Nomad won't cover. Fortunately never had to use them...

Wow! Are you saying that Nomad actually paid out for the Evac when you claimed with them though? That’s kinda the ultimate claim test I’d reckon. You mind telling me how much it was for flights etc?

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 11:23am
AlfredWallace wrote:
Henno wrote:

Henno. Hi. You’d know this, you’ve done it yourself, it’s hard to get motivated to punch a keyboard when you’re on the ‘not going on a surf trip’ side of the keyboard.

My take, in a nutshell, A post card is hello from wherever , bad luck, great weather here, , get fucked I’m on holidays, you’re not , suck eggs, bye.

Last Oct/Nov. Myself and two mates , Sumatra, Ments etc .used CoverMore again, got the lot medivac etc. $450 the lot me, mate one year older, $550, other mate two year older $650

With what went down recently between Nias and Banyaks, it’s cheap, life’s joys are worth more than that price. AW

With postcards you had to go to the post office to rub it in. Now Facebook makes that cruelty possible with the click of a button. Add me to ya facey friends AW and you can see my pics!

Have you ever claimed with Covermore though?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 11:50am
Henno][quote=andy-mac wrote:

Wow! Are you saying that Nomad actually paid out for the Evac when you claimed with them though? That’s kinda the ultimate claim test I’d reckon. You mind telling me how much it was for flights etc?[/quote

Unsure on cost.
Basically had a health issue and was in Sanglah hospital in Denpasar for 10 days. They organised an accompanied flight with Doc with Singapore Airlines back to Brisbane. In hindsight was probably not necessary, but once process started they sorted it all with the help of my sister in Oz. Only paid Sanglah hospital fees upfront which were reimbursed minus excess, but all evac was covered by them, never saw the bill.

They have come through for me a couple of times, reason why I am happy to recommend them.

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 11:59am
andy-mac][quote=Henno wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Wow! Are you saying that Nomad actually paid out for the Evac when you claimed with them though? That’s kinda the ultimate claim test I’d reckon. You mind telling me how much it was for flights etc?[/quote

Unsure on cost.
Basically had a health issue and was in Sanglah hospital in Denpasar for 10 days. They organised an accompanied flight with Doc with Singapore Airlines back to Brisbane. In hindsight was probably not necessary, but once process started they sorted it all with the help of my sister in Oz. Only paid Sanglah hospital fees upfront which were reimbursed minus excess, but all evac was covered by them, never saw the bill.

They have come through for me a couple of times, reason why I am happy to recommend them.

Thanks for that mate. Looking them up now. Is it Nomad or Worldnomad insurance?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 12:12pm

@henno , I didn’t see your original post but saw the second one . 11 days and nobody replied could be because if original post is not answered immediately or bumped it leaves the front page very quickly so not many punters get to see what you’re asking . I never replied on second post as I’ve had travel insurance for multiple decades but luckily never had to make a claim . Looks like andy - mac has steered you onto a good one . Last year I used alianz because their charge for disclosing pre existing medical condition was very reasonable , again though I never needed to claim .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 12:19pm
Henno][quote=andy-mac wrote:
Henno wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Unsure on cost.

Thanks for that mate. Looking them up now. Is it Nomad or Worldnomad insurance?

WorldNomads, link in previous post.
Hope you never need to use it. :)

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 4:56pm
Henno wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
Henno wrote:

With postcards you had to go to the post office to rub it in. Now Facebook makes that cruelty possible with the click of a button. Add me to ya facey friends AW and you can see my pics!

Have you ever claimed with Covermore though?

Henno. Hi. I’ve never in my life been on those generic socials, I use that time wisely to read educational books instead.
Only place I comment on anything is here at SWN, of which i really do like the engagement, it’s refreshing.

To answer your questions, been going to Indo since 2008, never had to claim ever.
Myself and the guys i travel with , we have a mutual friend in the travel game 40 years experience, she’s never given us a bum steer on anything, so, if she says use CoverMore which we always do, thats fine for us.

I reiterate what Supafreak replied about the slow response time, sorry, most here are always keen to share knowledge or help in anyway.
Enjoy your trip. AW

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 5:55pm

Thanks guys. I actually went with Allianz before the replies started rolling in. I was going cross eyed looking at all the dry legalese.
I might do more reading on Nomads for my next trip as this is the second time I’ve heard a good report on them.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 6:25pm

You’ve got a cooling off period. Unless you’re leaving now plenty of time to change if you find a better option

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 8:14pm

ps. Henno, where did you catch that big red fish?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 9:16pm
seeds wrote:

: )

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 9:20pm

what :)

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 9:24pm

made me laugh. cool question, awesomely put ; )

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 9:33pm

Haha. I’m sure he’ll tell me no worries no problem. Henno? You out there?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 9:36pm

This is me on Swellnet swillnutting

?si=HJEbgz2Sq5KBTuI-

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Saturday, 26 Aug 2023 at 8:15am
basesix wrote:
seeds wrote:

: )

Lake Eildon mate. We call them a Bonniedoon Goldfish.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 26 Aug 2023 at 9:38am

Thanks for the Sat morning laugh Seeds

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 26 Aug 2023 at 10:58am

Anytime.
Bonniedoon Goldfish hahaha love it