Covid Passport

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 2:01pm

Covid passport is coming.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 2:03pm

Keen to gauge opinion towards the Covid passports.

How do you feel about it? What do you consider the advantages, disadvantages, benefits and potential concerns?

tonys-shirtfront's picture
tonys-shirtfront's picture
tonys-shirtfront Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 2:07pm

Bad idea!

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 2:18pm

Just going to open the floodgates to social credits, global currency, global government, UBI, controlling elites and see us all frogmarched to China I reckon Blowin, ...or something.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 2:46pm
adam12 wrote:

Just going to open the floodgates to social credits, global currency, global government, UBI, controlling elites and see us all frogmarched to China I reckon Blowin, ...or something.

I’m assuming that’s sarcasm? Do you have an opinion yourself?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 3:10pm

Honesty no issue at all with Covid passports either physical or digital, but id draw the line at any type of implant.

BTW. a little off topic but related, Ive been pretty compliant with most Covid things, the first app thing, i sign into shops with Q code thing when can be bothered(well i use pen and paper), wear a mask at shops etc, no issue with vaccination got mine (secede jab soon), no issue with covid passports, understand and abided with lockdowns & social distancing etc.

But i found my boundary this week when Victoria proposed all students from grade 3 up will be required to wear mask at school, i think this sucks and will try to avoid having my child have to wear a mask at school as im sure many others will too, i just know how much it would suck being a young kid having to wear a mask all day, fir what?.

Also feel a little bit uneasy about Covid vaccine for kids, just because kids risk from the virus is close to zero its pretty much pointless and could be more beneficial for them to get natural immunity and a vaccine as get older, that said if its required to fly or enter Indo kids will get the jab.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 3:23pm

Covid passport? Will that sit alongside my drivers license that says I'm an organ donor, and also states my immunisation history of Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Hib, Hepatitis B, Poliomyelitis, Pneumococcal, Hib, Meningococcal C, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis and Poliomyelitis?

Yeah, fine with me.

But holy shit, if they start sending regular emails about Discount Dan's Friday Funday Specials, I'm gonna fucken hit the roof.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 3:25pm

Covid passports will be around for the short to medium term and that's fine by me.
They buy time in two significant ways. Firstly they prevent the anti-vax idiots from putting other people in danger by entering high risk areas like aged care homes, jails, meat works, etc. They also encourage people to get vaxxed so they can fly, go to venues, concerts etc. Australia finally looks like having a very high vaccination rate. Sure Scumo fucked up procurement which left Australia stranded on the starting line for 6 months, but we have caught up largely because Australians generally care for their fellow citizens and state premiers have held the line re vaccine passports. This has lit a fire under the vaccine procrastinators.
Let's be honest, being an anti-vaxxer is a dog act. It's a fucking insult to medical professionals and people work in the tourism, events, entertainment, education industries etc. Passports are the best way to make sure that being a caaaaaarrrrnt has consequences.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 3:38pm
thermalben wrote:

Covid passport? Will that sit alongside my drivers license that says I'm an organ donor, and also states my immunisation history of Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Hib, Hepatitis B, Poliomyelitis, Pneumococcal, Hib, Meningococcal C, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis and Poliomyelitis?

Yeah, fine with me.

But holy shit, if they start sending regular emails about Discount Dan's Friday Funday Specials, I'm gonna fucken hit the roof.

You’ve got no concerns that a Covid passport will be a permanent part of society and you feel no compunction that the government would retain permanent ability to restrict your freedoms? Or that they maybe subject to mission creep into areas that you currently can’t envision?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 3:44pm
Blowin wrote:

You’ve got no concerns that a Covid passport will be a permanent part of society and you feel no compunction that the government would retain permanent ability to restrict your freedoms? Or that they maybe subject to mission creep into areas that you currently can’t envision?

Well, you just edited your first response ("You don’t need to have proof of your tetanus shot to have a picnic in the park with friends") - to which I'd counter that you do need proof of your drivers license before you sit behind the wheel of a car.

But to reply to your edited comment, I have greater concern for the short term (allowing the country to open up quickly, with the least amount of risk to our healthcare system) than I do for any kind of long-term mission creep.

Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 3:50pm

Shame on anyone supporting this.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 3:55pm
thermalben wrote:
Blowin wrote:

Well, you just edited your first response ("You don’t need to have proof of your tetanus shot to have a picnic in the park with friends") - to which I'd counter that you do need proof of your drivers license before you sit behind the wheel of a car.

But to reply to your edited comment, I have greater concern for the short term (allowing the country to open up quickly, with the least amount of risk to our healthcare system) than I do for any kind of long-term mission creep.

Yep. I don’t want to see the debate about vaccines erode my general area of interest on the subject.

Does anyone think that indigenous Australians will be restricted in society if they don’t have a vaccine passport?

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 3:57pm

I think it's a good idea in general but for me it depends how long it goes for and the finer details of it's implementation. I'll reserve my opinion until that is revealed.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 4:09pm

“ Does anyone think that indigenous Australians will be restricted in society if they don’t have a vaccine passport?“

Why wouldn’t they be? It’s only fair if non indigenous are then so should indigenous

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:14pm

"Does anyone think that indigenous Australians will be restricted in society if they don’t have a vaccine passport?"

Oh here we go again with poor white trash pushing the racist trope that indigenous Australians are given special treatment and don't have to abide by laws for all Australians.

Fuck off blowin, you aren't the victim of racial injustice here.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:27pm

Please take your hostilty and aggression elsewhere viclocal. It’s very unappealing and completely unwarranted.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:28pm
Vic Local wrote:

Covid passports will be around for the short to medium term and that's fine by me.
They buy time in two significant ways. Firstly they prevent the anti-vax idiots from putting other people in danger by entering high risk areas like aged care homes, jails, meat works, etc. They also encourage people to get vaxxed so they can fly, go to venues, concerts etc. Australia finally looks like having a very high vaccination rate. Sure Scumo fucked up procurement which left Australia stranded on the starting line for 6 months, but we have caught up largely because Australians generally care for their fellow citizens and state premiers have held the line re vaccine passports. This has lit a fire under the vaccine procrastinators.
Let's be honest, being an anti-vaxxer is a dog act. It's a fucking insult to medical professionals and people work in the tourism, events, entertainment, education industries etc. Passports are the best way to make sure that being a caaaaaarrrrnt has consequences.

Reckon I agree with pretty much everything you've said there VL.
Only thing I'd add is that being an anti-vaxxer is also both an insult and a dog act to your friends, family and especially your kids.

sheep shagger's picture
sheep shagger's picture
sheep shagger Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:28pm

VL... don't feed that monkey.

sheep shagger's picture
sheep shagger's picture
sheep shagger Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:31pm

Reckon "white trash" summary was spot on.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:31pm
saltyone wrote:

Please take your hostilty and aggression elsewhere viclocal. It’s very unappealing and completely unwarranted.

What a let KKK style crap from blowin go unchallenged?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:32pm

Blowin needs to argue to feel like a man...starts a thread for no other reason than to push his biased drivel.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm
Roadkill wrote:

Blowin needs to argue to feel like a man...starts a thread for no other reason than to push his biased drivel.

To be fair its a decent discussion point/topic (Covid passports) and we all have our views, interest and concerns that we want to discuss or hear others views on, i dont agree with Blowin on this but i still respect his right to his view and concerns on it..

I think its a topic worthy of discussion.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm
indo-dreaming][quote=Roadkill wrote:

To be fair its a decent discussion point/topic (Covid passports) and we all have our views, interest and concerns that we want to discuss or hear others views on, i dont agree with Blowin on this but i still respect his right to his view and concerns on it..IMHO its a topic worthy of discussion.[/quote

He can view his concerns which he has done multiple times..the same concerns over and over and over and over again.

It is a free to post forum and all.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:41pm

Talking to the bloke at Iluka bait and tackle today and my only concern is the one he expressed to me: which is small businesses having to enforce health orders.

I honestly think, for that reason, it will be quite a short term thing, apart from International Travel, big events etc etc.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:44pm

So what roadkill . Let people have their discussions without trashing them.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:46pm

blowin doesn't have the right to express his racist opinions on a privately owned website . He's on here because for some reason the owners of Swellnet tolerate his crap.
At least they also tolerate others when they vigorously call out blowin's racist bullshit, covid misinformation and outright lies.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:46pm
saltyone wrote:

So what roadkill . Let people have their discussions without trashing them.

Like he does?

I made a comment…didn't say he couldn’t comment.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 6:57pm

Freeride ….isn’t it just an extension of the existing QR code situation?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:03pm
Vic Local wrote:
saltyone wrote:

Somehow, I don’t think saltyone will be consistent in calling out hostility and aggression towards posters. It will be a case of selective outrage whilst many who he agrees with will be left to continue hostility and aggression.

Hypocrisy, is what is unappealing and completely unwarranted.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:09pm
freeride76 wrote:

Talking to the bloke at Iluka bait and tackle today and my only concern is the one he expressed to me: which is small businesses having to enforce health orders.

I honestly think, for that reason, it will be quite a short term thing, apart from International Travel, big events etc etc.

Yeah i agree, it would suck for business and hard to enforce and could see staff become targets of abuse etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't last long, but i would also not be surprised that it's being used as a tactic to encourage as many people to get vaccinated as possible. (at least in part)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:19pm

Does everyone honestly believe it’ll just fade into disuse within a short period? I’d honestly never considered that as an option for government due to their propensity to increase control and imposition on our lives. I appreciate that I’ve probably got a far more contemptuous, cynical and maybe even paranoid suspicion of the motivations and direction of modern governments but is there no concern whatsoever amongst others?

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:22pm

I reckon in a year or 18 months’ time you’ll not even remember how worked up you were over it. Or why.

Before “Delta” hit I was traveling in Australia for work reasonably frequently, including to WA. Apart from international travel there was little change to life. QR codes had gone away, limits on numbers in pubs and restaurants were either over or not noticeable.

(I’m not from Victoria. Might have been a different experience there)

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:25pm

cant see anyone enforcing it...why would they ....they need the customers ...anyway by the 1st dec its all open dosent matter if your vacs or not.....

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:40pm

I'd hate be a NSW contact tracer in the next month or so .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:41pm
simba wrote:

cant see anyone enforcing it...why would they ....they need the customers ...anyway by the 1st dec its all open dosent matter if your vacs or not.....

From what I can see around here, businesses are tending to rally around their reluctance to check QR as a competitive advantage. Perhaps it’s different in locations where their is a high frequency of cases?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm

There's no money in it and no votes in it for govt, at least at the small business level.

I'd be surprised if it even lasted until Dec1 .......

International travel will be the big one that may endure.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 7:57pm

Totally against a new covid passport .

It will lead to a health passport and then anything else some nosey person wants to add . Another level of unneeded bureaucracy to run another unneeded program .

Anyone who thinks it will be short term forgets how the system works . Bureaucracy hates cancelling bureaucracy . Not in its DNA .

If I need to travel I am happy for my existing passport to have a new stamp .

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 8:30pm
simba wrote:

Businesses have a duty of care to their customers and staff. If they fail to enforce covid passport rules and their business becomes a super-spreader venue, it's a lawsuit. And their public liability insurance policy won't be coming to the rescue.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 12:22am
Roadkill wrote:
Vic Local wrote:
saltyone wrote:

Somehow, I don’t think saltyone will be consistent in calling out hostility and aggression towards posters. It will be a case of selective outrage whilst many who he agrees with will be left to continue hostility and aggression.

Hypocrisy, is what is unappealing and completely unwarranted.

mate, the hosility and agression always starts from the same toxic place, and you've befriended it...

most people on here, with widely differing views, have no trouble keeping it civil

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 12:38am
freeride76 wrote:

There's no money in it and no votes in it for govt, at least at the small business level.

I'd be surprised if it even lasted until Dec1 .......

International travel will be the big one that may endure.

Im hoping this is the case

it's ridiculous to think small business should pump too many resources into being the covid police

and...

"cant see anyone enforcing it...why would they ....they need the customers ...anyway by the 1st dec its all open dosent matter if your vacs or not....."

if this 1st of december thing is a thing... what a bloody waste of resources!

another dumbass redundant millions of dollars corona tech solution that achieves fuck all... we're keeping jeff bozo and co. rich and that's about it...

many european countries ditched them early, for a host of reasons it would seem, ...here's hoping australians still have a little bit of that waning rebellious spirit left and shut it down quick smart here... otherwise, i have no doubt sco-mo and co. will definitely make the most of repurposing it... it's in their dna... as he likes to say...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:26am

Not a bad idea for initial stages of opening up, but will not work or happen due to the Morrison government's incompetency. They could not organise a hand job in Kuta Bugar FFS. Think Covid Safe app which cost millions and had minimal to no impact helping contact tracers.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 7:56am

Some people are fighting back regarding being "forced to do " because of covid . Same will happen with a health passport .

The notice (pdf), filed on Oct. 7, said that the 871 firefighters is seeking $2.5 million each in damages.

“The claims will be filed in Superior Court as an unlimited civil case pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure,” Kevin McBride, attorney for the firefighters, wrote in the notice.

The L.A. city council in August issued an ordinance (pdf) requiring all city employees to have had a second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine, or a dose of the single-dose COVID19 vaccine by Oct. 5, unless they have a medical or religious exemption.

“The city’s goal is to have a vaccinated workforce. As such, employees will not have the option to ‘opt out’ of getting vaccinated and become subject to weekly testing,” the ordinance reads. The mayor’s office announced that exempt, unvaccinated employees would still be required to do regular testing for COVID-19.

McBride said in the notice of intent, citing orders given to the firefighters from the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD), that those not exempt or fully vaccinated by the “hard deadline” of Oct. 20 will be sent home for five days without pay, and if they still decide not to take the vaccine after another five days, their employment will be terminated.

The attorney wrote that the vaccination order is “blatantly wrongful conduct,” citing several reasons including: interference with employment rights; infliction of emotional distress; violation of constitutional privacy rights; and violation of protection of human subjects in the medical experimentation act.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 8:15am
andy-mac wrote:

Not a bad idea for initial stages of opening up, but will not work or happen due to the Morrison government's incompetency. They could not organise a hand job in Kuta Bugar FFS. Think Covid Safe app which cost millions and had minimal to no impact helping contact tracers.

Which was no surprise seeing it only recorded contacts that were 15 min contacts or something crazy, when it only takes a second or two for transmission to happen.

But the bigger problem was low take up because people have such fear off these types of things we saw it here in this forum people were paranoid they were being tracked everywhere they go or something, if it recorded every contact within a few metres no matter how long even one second of course it would work and be a useful tool but even less people would download it as it would be seen as being even more of an invasive on privacy.

The technical problems could have been overcome, but with a low take up was it worth spending more time and money on something most people weren't willing to use?

One thing for certain if another one of these viruses springs up in the future, the idea will be revised especially as tech gets better, because it makes complete sense to use technology instead of antiqued systems, it's like comparing using a computer to solve a complex math equation compared to pen and paper.

Anyway there was possibly some politics involved in just using it following places like Singapore, at least they can say they tried rather than not doing anything, basically it's like that scene in Back to the future where Michael J Fox plays some crazy guitar, and the crowd just doesn't get it, and he says i guess you guys aren't quite ready for that.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 8:13am

I think people are completely underestimating the fact this proposal will increase vaccination uptake rates, it might not even happen or it might, but the important thing is having people think they need it.

Its probably a lot cheaper than the proposal of paying everyone $300 to get vaccinated.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 6:23pm

I have felt it is a stepping stone for governments and private tech enterprises to further shift the human population to a permanent digital identity. Have always felt this . And as much I would hope it would be retracted( cov passports) I don’t think it will once the pandemic ends.. ( ends ? )

Digital identification is clearly important as in The World Economic Forums’ (*)thorough and detailed map seen on the end of this links page -

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/now-is-the-time-for-a-great-reset/

Not bullshit. Not conspiracy . Real.

*funded by The Gates Foundation who also fund WHO

The Australian govt on bandwagon
You have until the 27th oct to “have your say” -

https://www.digitalidentity.gov.au/

Cov19 has just accelerated the process-

https://dis-blog.thalesgroup.com/identity-biometric-solutions/2021/06/23...

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 9:55pm

Digital ID linked to myGov, Medicare, Covid vax certificate, Centrelink, ATO, Passports already.
Its all coming eventually to a portable device near you for easy monitoring.
Enjoy the freedom of simplicity

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 8:16am

I tried to give feedback . Hit choose . Hit open . File not found .

I am a tech dino but not alone . Was not aware the govt was looking for feedback until Salty pointed it out .

If they want NO feedback they have done it the right way .

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 8:17am

Small businesses are being the Covid police as they are being threatened with massive fines in NSW if they don’t comply, which is not right. I was at the barber the other day and they were obviously uncomfortable about checking vax status but they have to. A teenager then came in and they had to get proof of age before they could cut his hair in a town where there isn’t Covid. It’s bullshit. It’s weird how Australia has developed into such a risk averse society with so much policing and no allowance for common sense..

Australia hasn’t discussed natural immunity yet even though there’s now increasing evidence that it provides more protection than vaccines which are losing effectiveness over time. Obviously the risk is that you may get sick from Covid before you have immunity but I wonder how that will fit in the vax passport. In Germany they have a 3G rule for accessing large functions: either you test negative, have already had Covid, or, are vaccinated and then you can attend.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 8:25am

Weird irony in the Northern Rivers.

More businesses have shut down or restricted service since the so-called Freedom Day on Mon.

They don't want to have to enforce vax status.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 8:48am

My parents are part of a Parkinson’s support group in their little town. It’s got about two dozen members with an average age of mid eighties. It’s the only real social outlet for a lot of them and extremely important in helping them through a terrible and often terminal experience.

They always meet at a local cafe as it’s safe with the physical assistance devices and got good access. The staff look after them and it’s a really big deal for the support group and a small town business which needs all the patronage it can get.

Because many of the support group have only had a single dose and aren’t eligible for the second yet, their support group is legally not allowed to be held at the cafe and was due to be canceled. It’s pissing down rain and no other alternative was suitable so the cafe said fuck the government and its being held anyway.

Good on them. There’s no Covid here and to deny what is an essential service to vulnerable old people is cruel and ridiculous. Most of the oldies think the government are wankers. It seems that it’s the demographic in their 60’s who are the scared and fearful in Australia. The oldies and the youngsters know that life goes on with risk everyday amd that hiding from life is no life at all.

brainiac's picture
brainiac's picture
brainiac Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 9:33am

As a business owner who has been bent over and no lubed by the vic government for 2 years, what gives them the right to decide- that the $$$ we take from Vaccinated people( who potentially are positive) in my business, are worth more than the same dollars we are unable to take from unvaxed and potentially healthy person? It makes no sense.

It's no surprise Freeride to hear shops are not opening already, and that's Nth NSW where, compared to Victoria the damage has been minimal.

It is bad enough having to ask for proof of regional ID( when we have been required) and the abuse myself and my staff have copped is appalling. I have had staff in tears dealing with this. Checking for Vaccine passports will be even worse. Business owners will be looking at the dollars that they are losing because of this segregation of society. Some larger businesses will have the added cost of staff specifically to check and enforce passports. Owners will be asking where are the choices that we can make.

If the system doesn't change I believe we will lose an incredible amount of businesses due to lost revenue, disillusioned owners, and a lack of staff that are prepared to take abuse.
Closed businesses and less business revenue = fewer jobs, less government income and financial impacts down the whole supply chain-, suppliers, logistics, producers, farmers, manufacturing, staff all lose out. As well as the MAJOR impact on government TAX revenue streams. With higher unemployment and more welfare spending, reduced income streams, just wait 12 months and watch the tax hikes come in in an attempt to claw back their lost revenues. Given no one knows how much our government is in debt after these 2 years of fuck ups and badly managed covid fiasco, the one guarantee is everyone will lose out.