Climate Change

blowfly's picture
blowfly started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020 at 9:40am

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 27 Apr 2021 at 8:44am

Where is all the smart money going? Coal investments?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-27/renewable-energy-investment-tilt-...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 27 Apr 2021 at 10:00am

@san G , your link now has error code ?

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 27 Apr 2021 at 11:02am
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 27 Apr 2021 at 5:42pm

Thanks san G , good article , nice to have a few shares , I wonder how big clive palmer is going with his proposal for a coal mine, Scotty still owes him for the fear campaign last election.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 13 Jun 2021 at 2:58pm

Wasn’t sure where to post this so here will do I guess , its a start and the whole world needs to get onboard https://www.marineconservation.org.au/which-australian-states-are-bannin...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:47am

Oh man, the village, Lytton which broke the long standing record for the highest temperature recorded in Canada, 3 days in a row (49.5 deg) has been razed to the ground by wild fires :(

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:48am
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 1:28pm

'Keith Pitt approves huge loan for Queensland coal project, after rejecting wind farm'

"In deciding to block the loan to the wind farm, Pitt said that he did not believe the project was consistent with Morrison government energy policy and that Pitt was not convinced that it would lead to lower energy prices."

https://reneweconomy.com.au/pitt-approves-huge-loan-for-queensland-coal-project-after-rejecting-wind-farm/amp/

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 1:55pm

The comparison between Qld jobs in mining and tourism is startling, from memory by a factor of 1 mining job for 40 plus tourism jobs. A large % of tourism jobs are connected to the Reef and located in the same FNQ regions as this relenting push for new coal mines and power. Yet Qld voters keep on buying the LNP bullshit. I’ve often wondered why and can’t come up with one plausible reason Qlders vote that way, they are just different up there. Hoping all this Barnyard revival is our new Joh for PM moment especially when the Reef is rightfully listed as endangered later this year. I make sense of it all by boycotting Qld until the policy changes and donating to the ACF who continues to hold govt and mining to account with ongoing court victories.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 2:06pm

there's a simple reason.

Mining jobs tend to be stable and well paid.

Tourism jobs are insecure and poorly paid.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 2:21pm

And just as likely to be employing foreigners as Aussies.

This totally misreads the issue though, it’s not about the jobs but the businesses. Tourism businesses are usually small time and small time political donors, miners are the owners of both political parties.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 3:11pm

Small business = tax paying + employing locals who pay tax + environmental, social, economic attachments to the area.

Multinationals = all of the above is for suckers.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 3:30pm

true enough.

My mate is trying to get out of FIFO.

he's in exploration, working for a relatively small company.

he wants a job here, there are plenty.

it's just he'll have to work for far less than half of what he is making in mining.

people crunch numbers like that all the time.

Tourism in QLD is a notoriously boom and bust industry as well.

Ask any operator in Cairns.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 3:45pm

Foreign tourism workers don’t vote

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 3:59pm

This conversation kind of gives the vibe that it has to be a choice between mining or tourism?

I'm sure if you ask people in the central to north region of QLD they will say they support both..

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 4:11pm

When I worked FIFO in construction it was 12 hour days, 13 days on then 1 day off then 13 days on then 7 days off , people say good money but you put the hours in and don’t have much of a life besides working. It takes its toll after awhile. Tax man loved me longtime.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 4:26pm

Never did it but saw a few mates do it, and it really helped set them up financially for life, guys that were then able to get into the real estate market or have the money to start business etc

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 4:39pm

you're selling your whole life.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 4:40pm

Same as you Indo, never did it but a few mates did. Some were smart about it and have done well out of it, others pissed and sniffed it all up. A mate bought property in Indo and just went there on his time off.
I kind of regret not doing it for a few years but mainly don’t.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 4:48pm

Yeah indo I wasn’t that smart , saved money and would take 6 or 8 months off surfing Indonesia and after barrow island which was a 23/10 roster I took 2 years off . I did see young couples slog it out for 5 years and pay cash for a house, I was single at the time and enjoyed my time off surfing fishing partying and have no regrets. Getting married and having a child changed my lifestyle and I gave up the FIFO because otherwise I wouldn’t see them much . Earning weekly now less then what I was paying in tax .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 5:39pm

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 5:58pm

Good reads folks, I got to read most of Blowin's as well, yep I reckon it was a time unparalleled in world history, good on you crew for chasing the life. I was similar, though as surveyor I was sent all over the country as contracts came and went - figured I could make the wage for a whole family from working 1/2 the time and as we had kids really young, I could spend 1/2 the time with the kids growing up which was priceless. I never said no to a job offered, that was one governing rule for me - and did it despite this damn blood condition and not being able to be diagnosed... One contract took us around the country for 18 months on good pay, and we homeschooled. At the same time, yes RE went mental.

Doing things around jobs was the creative part - one week I could be on Cable beach lying in the sun after work finished, the next battling snow squalls climbing mountains in Tassie on a layover weekend between jobs. Working ahead of schedule and taking a day off up mountain with the fam and watching the kids learn to ski/board. Epic. Did a bit of FIFO when the contract required it but I reckon my life/work/fam balance was better on lesser overall pay. Quite a few times I ditched the ladder and took a board, the only one checking in business in tradie clothes with a surfboard lol

Edit: just noticed the thread, I shudder at all the jet fuel used... Put E10 into the wagon last fill and looking into E85 chip/conversion for it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 6:06pm

Well done and congratulations, VJ.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 6:10pm

" I reckon my life/work/fam balance was better on lesser overall pay."

Absolutely.
After working underground, then exploration, then overseas on boats, you just can't put a price on developing quality relationships and having your own space and life to come home to.
For me, being a part of the area you live in is pretty important.

I've seen a lot of guys sell their souls long term to mining companies and the like, and from my point of view it really does them a disservice.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 6:25pm

I've always strived to follow one rule: You have to live every single day - can't put it off.

About 10 years ago I went part time (60%), meaning lots of time off and a lot less in the bank. That same day I went to the cinema and watched the Wayne Lynch doco, and fuck did it feel like the right decision. Time to surf, to look after my wife and the house and to read and think.

That's not to say that it's a universal truth, but what works for me. Less money, more time.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 6:58pm

Good one IB "short live long death"

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 7:27pm

thank you crew and you are on a good path IB and Andy, too.

It's important to point out that there were shitty times in this setup too - like when another of the surveyors rolled his 4x4 and I was given his sites, so ended up being away for a couple of months at in one stint. (I built a couple of diecast model Land Rovers for the kids while away - now we're looking at real ones lol). Or sometimes when the work client was really difficult to deal with and set you up to argue your findings

You take the good with the bad.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:10pm

@Andy M , when you mentioned exploration ,were you drilling ? I was a offsider on a RAB drill in the 90s at gidgee gold mine 100 klms from meekathara , lasted 5 weeks , it’s in the top 3 worst jobs I’ve done .

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:23pm

Plenty of dust on a RAB rig Supafreak. I was working underground and exploration at Cue for a while, just down the road from Meeka.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:23pm

Superfreak, I reckon your stint on Barrow Island would have been a godsend compared to the inland gig.....
At least you could look out on familiar territory....

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:43pm

@megzee , barrow was unbelievably boring most of the time , I was with mammoet taking the modules from ships and barges and transporting them to site 4klms away , spent so much time just sitting around waiting for someone else to do their bit before we could do ours . Couldn’t go for a swim in the ocean and was very envious of the guys that worked for WA oil as they were permanent and had a boat and went surfing at this left that was not a bad wave . The money was incredible and don’t think Australia will see a project with those type of wages again .

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:43pm

What did you post blowin?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:51pm

@distracted , worse thing was it was a brand new rig and murphys law ruled , couldn’t get the daily mtrs to make decent money .

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 8:52pm

I know that left from very early days mate....not a bad hander at all...
Thought you might have had a bit of free time access to it....
The money was probably great, but Chevron only went 7-900 mill over budget.......and I am being generous with that estimate.......so kick the seppo's out, I reckon..
I did 12 months on a Rio project at Cape Lambert as Marine Superintendent and I went through the same anguish.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:09pm

Yeah works work ive worked in a lot of different fields including electrical apprenticeship which took me 6 years to finish as i failed a few machines subjects at TAFE a few times. (bloody hard maths).
Then security technician at every university in NSW.
Also as a nursery hand,(which i liked 2nd best but poor money) also hydro shop in perth building aeroponic systems etc and different setups.
My favorite of the lot was working in a service station- choose whatever hours you want depending on when the surfs pumping or night out with my girlfriend, ok pay too, but i guess its a dangerous job on night shift.
Before i had my gf it was good for meeting ladies too pumping their gas for them and checking oil and radiator etc.Pretty fun job for a mid 20's lad.id go back to that rather than electrical trades anytime.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:21pm

Yeah megzee I’m pretty sure barrow blew out from 40 billion to close to 80 , should never have been allowed to be built there . The reason they gave us at the induction was that there was this huge chamber under the island that they would pump all the unwanted gases into rather than the atmosphere. They could have run a pipeline from the mainland to do that . The conspiracy theory was that chevron wanted to prove to the world what it could do safely in a A grade marine park in order to go to other places like the antarctic and barrier reef . Harry Butler was the head enviro of barrow since 68 and had always said in order to keep the place free from outside species that they should never build a jetty . So what did they do ? Built a 2 klm jetty . Most jobs as you know are safety safety safety , well this was safety as A then quarantine as A.1 for a example to get a cat 980 loader from perth to barrow wrapped in plastic and fumigated , cost was about $50,000 , thats just one machine. The project was knocked back 3 times over 10 years and eventually given the green light . I think Peter Garrett was the minister that gave it the ok .

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:23pm

Groundswell, I started my sparky apprenticeship in 1975 and found myself a tradesman at 19.....Made a few dollars in the Goldy building boom and followed the old adage.....'Go west young man'....[Best move I made]
Trouble with the electrical trade is you can meet the most self proclaimed smartest dickheads in the world....
Must admit though, it got me through, but I kept on studying and learning....
It all adds up mate...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:36pm

Yeah Megzee its a good trade and if you study after TAFE is finished a lot you can pass exams pretty easy..
I just took too many TAFE days off to surf the island if it was pumping..fell behind and had to do a few more years to finish.
Dont know how i managed to pass, the maths was super hard. i would have made a better cabinet maker i reckon. (being a tiny teenager for my age- can fit inside a kitchen cabinet etc.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:36pm
Supafreak wrote:

Yeah megzee I’m pretty sure barrow blew out from 40 billion to close to 80 , should never have been allowed to be built there . The reason they gave us at the induction was that there was this huge chamber under the island that they would pump all the unwanted gases into rather than the atmosphere. They could have run a pipeline from the mainland to do that . The conspiracy theory was that chevron wanted to prove to the world what it could do safely in a A grade marine park in order to go to other places like the antarctic and barrier reef . Harry Butler was the head enviro of barrow since 68 and had always said in order to keep the place free from outside species that they should never build a jetty . So what did they do ? Built a 2 klm jetty . Most jobs as you know are safety safety safety , well this was safety as A then quarantine as A.1 for a example to get a cat 980 loader from perth to barrow wrapped in plastic and fumigated , cost was about $50,000 , thats just one machine. The project was knocked back 3 times over 10 years and eventually given the green light . I think Peter Garrett was the minister that gave it the ok .

@Superfreak, my 90 mill over budget guess is a tad off the market......40 Bill......
Seems like milken the cow........or burning the "Midnight Oil'
Gotta love monumental Fuckups......
I was a rig manager for a rig we sent down from Singapore for part of the project........but that story is for another day........the last two words of the previous paragraph spring to mind..

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:37pm

@megzee , I nearly scored a job with total marine on barrow, 5 weeks on 5 weeks off , spent $4000 on stcw95 course then got fucked over last minute, was fucking spewing

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:40pm
groundswell wrote:

Yeah Megzee its a good trade and if you study after TAFE is finished a lot you can pass exams pretty easy..
I just took too many TAFE days off to surf the island if it was pumping..fell behind and had to do a few more years to finish.
Dont know how i managed to pass, the maths was super hard. i would have made a better cabinet maker i reckon. (being a tiny teenager for my age- can fit inside a kitchen cabinet etc.

Don't worry Groundswell, I failed my second year exams due to surfing, footy, girls, pot, surfing, laziness, teenagermanship,.......Plus I knew everything.....
My old man corrected me on the last point, so I passed under immense pressure.....not to fail...

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:41pm
Supafreak wrote:

@megzee , I nearly scored a job with total marine on barrow, 5 weeks on 5 weeks off , spent $4000 on stcw95 course then got fucked over last minute, was fucking spewing

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:44pm

My mistake megzee a quick google search on cost , ended up at 70 billion. https://www.afr.com/companies/energy/chevron-sees-light-at-end-of-70-bil...

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:45pm

Don't worry mate, the Marine Industry is the most over regulated business in the world......I don't renew my numerous tickets anymore......Because it would cost me an arm and a leg.....
Funny thing Superfreak.....I remember everything I ever learnt......

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:51pm

i almost forgot i was also offered a job at telos island resort (the first one in the Telos) (as im pretty good with bahasa Indonesia - to work on the outboards with local staff of boats and surf with the clients..i gave the vibe one conversation that i wasn't suited to that as i never grew up with boating experience, id be better at forecasting and knowing where to surf for the conditions, and they said maybe we will get back to you later..would have been the best job in the world.Never heard from them again..Back then they were charging $5000 a week to stay there and i blew my chance to get paid for it by not seeming confident.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:47pm

Ha, what's 70 bill between mates......Missed it by "that much"

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:53pm
groundswell wrote:

i almost forgot i was also offered a job at telos island resort (the first one in the Telos) (as im pretty good with bahasa Indonesia - to work on the outboards with local staff of boats and surf with the clients..i gave the vibe one conversation that i wasn't suited to that as i never grew up with boating experience and they said maybe we will get back to you later..would have been the best job in the world.Never heard from them again..Back then they were charging $5000 a week to stay there and i blew my chance to get paid for it by not seeming confident.

Don't worry mate.....'Jobs for the boy's" carries a lot of weight.......
You should see some of the incompetent, naïve, useless flotsam I work with.....

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:55pm

Do you remember the time at the Bluff when we went to see INXS ? I think we drive 400 klms lol one way , what town was it ? Stewie the photographer and that smoking hot chick came too