What is your dream car? (if you had unlimited money)

pabloholder's picture
pabloholder started the topic in Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 4:54pm

My dream car is the Lamborghini Aventador SuperVeloce.
I am from Australia and a used one costs $800k+

A more realistic dream car for me would be the Audi R8 or Nissan R35

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 7:53pm

1975 HJ Kingswood wagon in metallic poo brown with optional rust

if money isn't an option

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 8:05pm

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 8:46pm

993 Series Porsche 911 Turbo.

Last of the air cooled 911's and only increasing in value.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 8:53pm

Zen are you familiar with the chev LS3 Porsche motor swaps
About 520 HP...of evil.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 10:15pm

I am Udo.

The bloke on Hoovies garage did one then blew it up on the track I believe.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 10:23pm

If it was for sale....

I would take delight at school pickup turning up in it.

JJD's picture
JJD's picture
JJD Tuesday, 11 Jun 2019 at 4:10pm

Tesla Model X or the latest Kluger.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 11 Jun 2019 at 10:15pm

JJD...could you just sign here for your wing door please.........x

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 11 Jun 2019 at 11:16pm

velocityjohnno describes perfectly~tbb's Metallic Bronze 1975 Kingswood Wagon.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiefordadverts/9519461535/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiefordadverts/9519448099/in/photostream/

V8 Twin exhaust...Drop the tailgate for XLong tray back > great tradie's car.
Long roof carted Plasterboard/2 storey trestles/ladders/6 planks/4 long stools
Inside'closed '6ft' trestles/Dry'board /full cornice lengths out window/bags/tools!

Toy ute sissies cried when it rained...'Please can our icky stuff go in yer Wagon!'
Wagon allowed you to work outta town on rainy days.(Impossible with Utes)
tbb fitted rear with a 2 stage velcro Trays for easy hose down...worked a treat!

Best with auto tail gate + also clear & flush the tail gate valves to ward off rust.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 11 Jun 2019 at 11:37pm

Exactly that colour tbb. I have very pedestrian taste in cars.
Now the Kingswood, this was the 90's and V8's were 4 grand so out of reach, $500 to $1500 would get you a 202. It remains a smoother motor than the 3.8 V6s that the Commodore wagons used much later, and the old Traumatic gearbox had its appeal too. You can pull out a fuse, smash the glass, then take the metal end and use this to pin your fuel pump back into place. Genius.

I found the Kingas better off road (remember, only deckies just after season finished could afford a 4x4 Hilux back then. loans weren't really a thing) than the Ford wagons of same age, although the Fords had nicer seats. Always took a large plank of wood in case of being bogged. Bench seat, column shift and sleep in the long space in the back. Someone make a wagon like this today.

Edit: and add vinyl seats and rubber floor mats, doesn't matter if sandy/dirty. You could drive home in a wettie and clean it out with an air blower. No one makes anything like this, apart from maybe a mine-spec base model Troopy these days. Certainly no normal wagons like this.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 8:47am

I'm taking a new Aston Martin DB11 for a spin tomorrow (not mine unfortunately).

Would it be wankerish to post a photo?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 9:15am

Not at all, Zen. Let’s see it.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 9:36am

A photo with your board in the back, wax down on the leather seats would be welcomed.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 9:54am

Probs only get a boogie board in the back but i'll see what i can do.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 10:28am

If there’s no driving gloves and scarf I’ll be very disappointed.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 1:23pm

Silk cravat and tweed jacket?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 2:36pm

You are in Japan, Zen? Are all the roads perfect and smooth with great winding mountain drives to do? That would be fun.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 2:39pm

VJ, mountain roads can be awesome, expressways are really good but super expensive. Local roads- terrible outside of Tokyo.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 4:57pm

Hope you have a great drive :)
My experience of the Japanese expressways is being 15 and bussed to see a factory tour in a mini-van; being given a magazine explaining the plant which inexplicably had a playboy centrefold in the middle, so showing this to all the passing motorists on the way home. The truck drivers were all blowing the horn and doing thumbs up in approval.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 5:13pm

Coincidentally , the Betoota Advocate did an article on dream cars yesterday, The Aston Martin didn't rate a mention sadly...
https://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/neighbours-glorious-au-wagon-l...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 13 Jun 2019 at 11:55am

Zen's dream car..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 13 Jun 2019 at 12:01pm

Ha ha...nice touch with the leggy.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 13 Jun 2019 at 12:05pm

Yeah, couldn't quite get the board in like you asked.

Went for a spin in the hills, had a blast. Came back and jumped into my wifes A1. Bit of a let down to say the least.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 13 Jun 2019 at 12:06pm

Btw, Craig, many thanks for putting that up for me. I don't know how to post pics from my phone.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 13 Jun 2019 at 12:13pm

That looks incredible, Zen.

I bought a car yesterday. Just a ride to get me to the adult theatre.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 13 Jun 2019 at 2:31pm

Cheers Blowy, yeah it's a sweet ride but believe it or not, I would never buy one. You could put half a dozen kids through university for the cost of one of those. But, it was incredible to have so much power at the end of your foot. Like being on a ranch- 500+ ponies under the bonnet, small herd of cows inside and more grunt than a pig-farm. Total excess.

Also drove a new Porsche Panamera turbo recently too. That was lovely. Craig has a pic of that one as well.

Anyway, back to my old Subi, it serves me well.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 13 Jun 2019 at 4:15pm

got to be a fake...everyone knows pee wee rides a bike. two wheels good. four wheels bad.

here's my dream ride...wish i still had it

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 3:51am

Tesla Cybertruck Demo fail is a set up...the lad held back with his pool ball?
A Girls bicycle mirror has stronger glass...gotta be a punch line to this...

Wrong again tbb! ...just like everyone else.

This here is a genuine epic Elon Musk fail #32,897.

Mythbusted...(Simple Simon says...)
Notice Glass must be framed tight to retain it's strength...
In pre-testing the same stunt worked fine! [tick]
In drop ball test...the stagehands constantly re-tighten clasps after each drop! [tick].

Space Cadet clobbers the door with Thor's Hammer- hard, not once but (twice)
This was hard enough to work the window pane loose from top slot. (Made in China?)
Now Glass was no longer framed tight...as ball hit - it flexed & shattered like sugar glass.

Why Musk continued modelling his smashed up wreck? (see: Prince Andrew)
Lesson to kidz! Always have your Tinfoil Hat & Super Hero Cape ready to go!

All Fine! Just don't book the window seat on the Musk Moon Shuttle!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 25 Nov 2019 at 10:16pm

Jeez that thing is ugly. Right price though if it lives up to the hype.

I've got another drive coming up this week- new Maserati Levante SUV. I drove a Porsche Cayenne Turbo a while back and for a big car, heaps fun. Be interesting to compare the Maserati with the Porsche as the former is only a piddly twin-turbo V6 while the Porsche is a V8. Hard to top the Aston though.

I love cars, always have but appreciate most people here couldn't give a fig.

Shall i post pics of the Levante?

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Monday, 25 Nov 2019 at 11:14pm

Tessa demo car fail was a total set up. Just about every media outlet took it on.

What has happened to scepticism?

People are so gullible.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 12:00am

Why so?

Clicks?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 6:00am

Yep put the photo up Zen,you old rev head you.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 6:01am

Anyone see the movie Ford vs Ferrari.......if yas havent its really worth a watch.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 8:01am

Interested in that one Simba, will go along to it. The real story is great too, they woke from their slumber, won Lemans 1-2-3 with a 427, rules changed so they won it again with a 302 Windsor, same engine block has Bathurst victories. Achieved what they set out to do.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 8:18am

Here's a bit of petrolhead meets surfer: this madman has dropped the Australian "Barra" Ford 4.0 inline 6 turbo into a GU Patrol!

Now that the Aussie motor is discontinued, people are dropping the Ford 6 into all kinds of cars, (son's mate is doing a late 70's Merc conversion) I think Facebook has a page 'Barra the world'

eg

!!!

Maybe when I dream, it might be an old 60 series with a Barra under the bonnet frisking along those long sand stretches...

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 3:58pm

Yeah VJ even the missus loved it,great acting and a based on true story.....7000 revs...giddyup

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 4:58pm

I notice our local cinema has an explicit language version of the film as well, which one did you see Simba? We will go later in the week

here's a Hi Po 289 revving to 7500rpm on a dyno :)

They are such good, reliable motors and were fitted to bulletproof drivelines than will happily run 60 years later. Oh yeah, and they can go and win Lemans. I'd love to convert one to E85 or 100% ethanol for the extra rev, cleanliness etc.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 5:35pm

Mate didnt know they had two versions but i can see your a rev head,im not but i loved it........and so will you .

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 12:55pm

Some of my actual cars from this last decade's stock (I'm on my 7th now). From the sublime to the ridiculous...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 8:30pm

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 8:32pm

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 9:04pm

These three should cover most bases.

Christ, that Impala gives me a horn you could crack fleas on.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 26 Nov 2019 at 10:16pm
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 5 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm

I bought a ‘73 Ford Fairlane 351 V8 like this (but black) when I was 17 and doing my apprenticeship. It was perfect for Friday night speed runs down to Yorke’s. Petrol was cheap in the 80’s and I could sit on 160km/hr most of the way.

But the real draw card was that both my boards (6’1” and a 6’6”) would fit diagonally in the boot fully closed. The front seats were like a lounge and folded completely down to form a comfortable bed when I got to where I wanted to surf the next day. Loved that car....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 27 Nov 2019 at 6:36am

My first car was a Gemini Gypsy wagon.

Ironically, despite buying it from a cop, the car came with a bunch of illegal modifications including an undersized sports steering wheel and musical airhorns - the latter of which which were great entertainment until my girlfriend took it to the shops to get some milk and promptly got the car defected.

Despite being a wagon, it was actually pretty small in the back once you had a couple of boards and a wettie tub. But.. I racked up a lot of miles around South Oz in that thing.

Eventually upgraded to a Mazda E1800 van (on LPG, which was 15c/L to begin with!). Way less cooler, but way more room, which was much more practical for hauling around my drums to gigs (ended up being a decent touring van for the band too). Great for surf trips as well.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 27 Nov 2019 at 8:58am

My first car was a beige auto Gemini van. Just enough room for 2 boards and a crash out if required due to intoxication.
The first thing I did when I could afford it was put in a crankin' stereo and for a young bloke at the time I thought it was a pretty cool ride.
I remember one day me and a mate tried to take it down a track to a secret surf spot where obviously it was not meant to go. Found ourselves bogged in a mud puddle and whilst my mate got out and pushed I tried to rev us out in reverse. Trouble is we had the doors open and all I managed to do was spray mud all over the inside of the car doors!
Rookie error.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 27 Nov 2019 at 1:36pm

My first car was a 2 door Gemini wagon! Ex-RAA. South Aussies'll know that colour!

Great car. Till a mate wrote it off (just quietly...my old man still doesn't know about this, I think!)

Another mate had a maroon Gypsy. Tricked out as well. He drove it across the Nullabor in an SA convoy (there was also a Corolla panel van involved, as well as a Kombi, and my brother had a HQ wagon)! We all spent some time in the back.

Me and him also drove it up the NW of WA. As far as Exmouth!

That convoy also included a WB panel van (with tinny in tow) and a HR wagon.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Wednesday, 27 Nov 2019 at 10:46am

In the roar of an engine Facto lost everything, he became a shell of a man, a burnt out desolate man , a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place that he learned to live again.... And blog on surfing websites... And WA was never the same again....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 27 Nov 2019 at 10:43am

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 27 Nov 2019 at 1:35pm

None here are without sin, Mike, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away, and I spare your lives. Just walk away.