Classic Australian art work

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 7:24pm
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 25 Sep 2020 at 11:09pm

"No disrespect to the artist or his painting but this decision is further demonstration that the Archibald Prize is never about the best portrait painting, you be the judge IMO 80% of this years finalists wouldn’t be better that a 1st year art student’s best attempt....."

Seriously?

Ever had a crack yourself GS?

If so lets see them.

Blip...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 25 Sep 2020 at 11:19pm

I also like the Dobell but here the Art Gallery NSW boasts about the controversy of the Archibald Prize seemingly as a badge of honour which goes to my point ....

https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/prizes/archibald/history/controversy-a...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 8:32am

Art is so subjective but the Archibald Prize is really not about the art its more about social politics and controversy, change the artist skin colour and replace the painting with Gary Ablett and it wouldn't have even been considered, i guess it fits in perfectly with this years BLM stuff.

Am surprised that he is the first indigenous artist to win though, thought they would have ticked off that box years ago.

I like Brett Whitleys stuff, i only read about one book a year but read his biography, it was quite interesting, but i was going through an art phase at the time.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 9:02am

This will be interesting...

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 9:16am

You mean this profound statement?

"Am surprised that he is the first indigenous artist to win though, thought they would have ticked off that box years ago."

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 10:00am

" i only read about one book a year"

Well that explains the depth of your ignorance on most of the subjects you post on. What was this year's book? Just out of interest.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 10:19am

MARA. Make Australia Read Again.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 12:39pm

"Well that explains the depth of your ignorance on most of the subjects you post on"

Ha ha how's the irony of this comment, seems like all your views are based on something you read in a book and not real lived experience, you live in a total fantasy world.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 12:38pm

Can you explain the irony there, Info?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 12:41pm

Because its from.the mouth of one of the most ignorant people here.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 12:53pm

Of course, ignorance is increased by wide reading! Ha ha ha, thanks Indo another good laugh.

So keep it coming, what are these real lived experiences that give your opinions such weight?

Over my whole teaching career, dealing with adolescents every day, I never encountered the level of ridiculousness that regularly appears here. I mean if you think the ha ha has are having a shot at people, sorry they're real. This place just breaks me up regularly. Comedy gold, day after day!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 12:51pm

As per normal trying to twist my words

Anyway looks like factos has got what he wanted.

Obviously has no interest in art, just trying to stir up shit and ruin another thread.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 1:27pm

‘but i was going through an art phase at the time.’

So what. The last phase you went through was your infamous, documented for ever in the swillnut files, bitcoin boogie blues phase. Where you became, quote, an ‘intermediate but expert trader’ in a few months whilst losing everything and telling the kids how wonderful it is.

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/381069

All you did in that phase is life experience being an imbecilic gronk from hell. Who now is suddenly an ‘artist’... which does have some ironic truth... a special kind of artist...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 1:46pm

Hahahahahaha. Gold, MB, gold!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 1:50pm

"Because its from.the mouth of one of the most ignorant people here."

Can you define 'ignorant', Info? In your estimation, of course.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 2:12pm

I never ever ever claimed to be a trader let alone an expert trader, they were your words not mine, I was always just another guy having fun.

And i never lost everything, i came close to breaking even on what i put in most of it from a very rare gen one Energy board i got for about $200 and sold for close to $4K, would have been nice if i wasn't so greedy and cashed in on a high (just under $20K), but it was still fun plus in that same time frame i had other financial windfalls.

Yes it was a phase i have lots of phases in my life, i think most people do.

Art is something I've done since i was a few years old and something i go through phases doing, the phase i was talking about was my biggest living on the Goldie i had my room set up as an art studio and was doing at least a painting a week between surfs and partying, but then i will go years and years without painting, although i draw more regularly.

I'm always creating something, be it building a house, or a garden, or painting etc but i don't really view myself as an artist.

So sorry all your claims are wrong.

BTW. Good to see you have taken your meds today, your post makes sense, and isn't a whole page of pointless babble like normal.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 4:05pm

Hahahaha... classic dreamer... again... just being the one thing that you are truly an expert in... that special kind of... 'artist'...again!!!

Giving out 'trading' advice left right and centre, even though you never claimed... but... again...

'Im kind of in two minds keep holding all my alts or cash them all in for Bitcoin and try to trade the ups and downs to increase my value.'

'In a sense i think this is the smart move, but the alts i hold i believe in and i don't believe in Bitcoin or am not a fan. (i have way to many different alts to trade any movement in them)'

Then, who could forget this magnificent piece of comedy...

'you can track my journey from total kook to where i am now which is intermediate level'

An intermediate level trader, who then is responsible for this ludicrous, imbecilic tripe below, which is just a minute smattering of your ludicrous, imbecilic tripe re your self proclaimed 'intermediate trading' skills (sic).

'But until Bitcoin goes up most alts won't, so i gather even if i stuff up buying and selling Bitcoins movements, i should be able to just buy back what i had/beleive in as alts are unlikely to go up until Bitcoin goes up and the stabilisers.'

WTF... that is fucking hilarious, ludicrous, drivvling, surely mushroom empowered shite!!!! FFS!!!??? Gimme more, please!!!

'personally I'm telling them happy to pay tax on profit when cashing out, but impossible to keep track of trades etc'.

HAHAHAHAHA, an intermediate level trader that doesn't, and doesn't have a clue about keeping any records of trades, while 'profiting'... and by the way, 'fuck the ATO... HAHAHAHAHAHA, 'intermediate level' absolutely ludicrous swillnutting fucking drivvle!!! Please, please dreamer, please gimme more!!!

'Im going into the red now, but i could never sell, if i end up with nothing i end up with nothing, i could never sell at a loss id be really bummed out if i did it's not even all about the money id just feel like id given up or something, maybe it's just stubbornness.'

Or, more accurately, just blatant, fucking imbecilic stupidity.. aka bullshit artist shite...

'Maybe it sounds crazy but id rather hang in there and end up with nothing knowing i rode it to the very end, id feel better knowing i had and end up with nothing and just let the ashes smoulder hoping they ignite one day.'

It doesn't just sound crazy... it is certifiably fucking crazy...again...

'Ha ha...havent seen this thread for a while, im too scared to even look at my crypto balance.

Don't get me wrong i don't regret getting into crypto it was fun while it lasted it was a real buzz and it was a cool experience and i learnt a lot, and about 80% of the money i used was money i lucked into so money i was willing to lose and I'm kind of in the mindset its gone.'

'Break even' brilliance!!! Again!!!

'Obviously in hindsight I should have cashed out in January, but greed got the better of me :D'

'I think i watched way to many youtube videos and price predictions and got sucked into the hype'.

The aftermath disaster (one more) 'expert'...

Gimme more dreamer... I beg you please don't stop now!!!

'Most serious investors who just hold bitcoin trade it's movements which as we know can go up and down quite a lot plus they also short it (basically betting it will go down)

Many have probably made more doing this since December than if they had sold but they still have the $$$ and the bitcoin.

Not to mention if they are smart they would have moved from Bitcoin in December to alts and made huge gains in alts.'

HAHAHAHAHA, the grand finale... the 'expert' loser, telling the 'serious (non record keeping ATO stuffing) experts', how to do... shite....aaaayyyeee mmmmaaayyyteee!!!??

In a nut shell.

If you wonder how to find those magnificent 'quotes' dreamer, its simple and elegant, just type 'dreaming imbecilic gronk' into google and pronto, sit back and enjoy!!!

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/381069?page=17

That whole thread should be turned into yet another coffee table classic, perhaps even sitting astride those other coffee table surfee classics, so if any one needs hours and hours and hours and hours and... did I say hours.... of endless laughter, just flip open a page, and savour the dreamers... special kind of unique... art...

In a nutshell... again...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 4:51pm

Why do you bother?

The effort it must have taken to dig up the thread then look for comments to cut and paste.

It's just back and forth conversation, never claimed anything, just had fun, god if i was to cut and paste the complete crap you have dibbled here, id be here for weeks cutting and pasting..

BTW. The Bitcoin thread was clearly of no interest to you, but you even changed you name to Crypto knight just to troll the thread.

Only reason you ever cared and came trolling me, is because you were butt hurt.

I proved you wrong on the topic you are suppose too be an expert in indigenous history.

Your view is always indigenous people were unlike every other group on the earth who had struggles and violence and fought with each other, your view is before white fella it was some perfect utopia free from violence.

And i proved that off course that's not true, i brought evidence you couldn't ignore like the fact that bone fragments have been unearthed pre colonial of people even women & children that had been beaten to death, and shields for battle and cave art depicting battles etc

Years latter you are clearly still butt hurt that i challenged you and proved you wrong.

FFS dude get over it, it's in the past, anyway of all the people here, you are the least I have any time for (facto a close second), your post are 99% of the time just nonsensical ramblings filled with abuse.

BTW. If you think bringing the Bitcoin thing up pisses me off like im butt hurt on money id made then lost, you are barking up the wrong tree, i honestly have no bad feelings about that I just look at it as an experience, like i said in that same year i had another financial unexpected windfall that was pretty much the same amount, thank god it came after bitcoin feel from the sky though as i might have been tempted to blow it on Crypto, but luckily i put it into my mortgage which is getting paid off much quicker than planned.

Money is also not a huge thing for me, i have pretty much everything i need and want im not a money hungry person, for me it was more the thrill of the chase and the buzz i got, i can 100% now see how people get addicted to gambling.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 5:33pm

Your proven bitcoin bullshit takes no time to find. Its no effort to prove how often that you bullshit. But like the true artist that you are, when you are proven to be bullshitting, its just water off your, as a true bullshitter's back. A real 'artist' fanatic.

I traded for a living, so the bitcoin thread, and so obviously, your dangerous, money losing, bullshitting 'intermediate level' drivvle stood out. Along with your, idiotic at best, ATO crap. Like all people who have traded for a living, I have the tax return's to prove it.

More to the point, why do you bother, just like your bitcoin blathering, obvious imbecilic gronk crap stands out, along with your racist, stereotyping 'burqua bashing' blathering drivvle, so does your obvious, protected, racist leaning here.

https://www.swellnet.com/comment/549997

'BTW. i saw a women at the market in Dandenong the other day with a burqua or maybe it was a Niqab it was kind of in-between couldn't see her face though, i was waiting for my missus so did a bit of people watching with her, to be honest she didn't look oppressed like the full black robe ones I've seen in Indonesia that look like servants of the men, actually looked the opposite in this case she had her little middle eastern guy following her around and from the body language she looked like she was wearing the pants so to speak.

It was quite crowded and was thinking maybe i will accidentally go bump into her and say sorry etc and see if she will interact with me and see the reaction of her husband, but by that time my missus had finished.'

Which is just the swillnut club's own pride and joy version of this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-23/pregnant-muslim-woman-speaks-out-...

'The assault occurred in the week a study was released showing women wearing headscarves were at the most risk of Islamophobic attacks.

"We are mothers, wives, daughters … and we deserve to feel safe wherever we go," Ms Elasmar said.

"I fear for the world our children will grow up in, if this issue is not addressed."'

So, dreamer, proven protected, racist, special kind of artists like you... no bother at all... in a nutshell...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 5:51pm

Ha ha whatever dude, same shit different year.

Anyway just watching the Tony Alva story, good watch

PS. don't forget to go dig up the old milk in the coffee quote.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 5:54pm

Haha, on cue, just water off a... and just flaunting it... again!!!

I'll bet that deleted, get lost 'button' is gettin a fuckin' floggin too!!!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 6:22pm

Hahahahaha. Info Dreemin'! The village idiot's village idiot does it again!

Gold!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 6:27pm

To be fair Indo’s actually a good artist. Why don’t you two chuck a pic up of your latest master piece so everyone else can join in on all the thigh-slappin, side-splittin laffin that you two get up to

in a nutshell

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 6:33pm

Someone evoke the mercy rule ........

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 7:45pm

Thanks Goofyfoot.

I think its just a shame that every thread has to turn into this back and forth negative thing.

BTW. Herc or Facto if you actually think you get under my skin in anyway trying to razz me up, im sorry but that factor from you guys wore off long ago.

I think for someone to get under your skin you need to either be in a proper discussion with them where you kind of have something invested in it all or have some kind of respect for them first.

Even the little snipes from Guy like the Dandenong market stuff doesn't do it anymore, it more of a joke now.

I think for someone to get under your skin or razz you up, it needs to be from someone you are having an in depth conversation with for instance BB or JQ, i strongly disagree with on pretty much evertthing, but i still have some type of respect for them, if i bumped into them in a bar id buy them a beer (id even buy you one Guy) so they would have a better chance of getting under my skin or razing me up in a discussion, but personal insults don't really do it anyway, i mean seriously who cares if someone calls you some name on the internet?

Then there is people like Vic local, where it's different again, i think he is decent guy but its hard to take things to heart with him, as he is just so aggressive at times and kind of goes on about the same things, so if he fully writes you off even in a serious way, you would never take him serious, its more just his style of discussing things, but he still actually discusses things it's not just pointless snipes or baiting etc (Don't worry VL if your reading id buy you a beer too)

I guess coming from a conservative point of view i can seperate peoples views from who they are as many of my good friends even some of my best friends are left to far left types, although i generally try to avoid politics or social issues with friends or family, especially after a few drinks..

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 9:10pm

Ainsley Roberts. A visionary master,impossible not to include this fellows work in any conversation on Australian art

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 9:13pm

Ps Fuck off all Trolls&Haters,die ASAP

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 9:29pm

Wow outstanding, thanks for the heads up Ray

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 9:53pm

Thanks Ray. I remember having a copy of the Dreamtime book as kid. Great stuff.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 10:18am

Hahaha Ray, you can't even get the bloke's name right!

So we're not really waiting with bated breath for your explanation as to why Ainslie Roberts is "a visionary master, impossible not to include...in any conversation on Australian art."

We do all like a laugh though, don't we?

Speaking of which...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 11:39pm

Info Dreemin'!

Here's a heads up. Stop writing ill informed pig-ignorant crap, and ridiculous bullshit.

And don't whine when you get hoisted by your own petard.

(pssst, your own words)

Simple.

As has been said many, many, many times before, everyone's ignorant about different things. It's how you deal with it that's important. Willful ignorance, and revelling in it, holds no water, and you cop what you deserve.

Don't agree?

This isn't a sheltered workshop or a personal therapy session to work out your (un)conscious fears and biases.

If you think you can blurt out any old rubbish in bad faith, well, you're in the wrong place.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 10:25pm

And Goofy, who criticised Info's daubings?

And what's his stuff got to do with the Archibald and his musings on it?

Would it surprise anyone if he hadn't even heard of it until recently?

He's got form.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 12:47am

Yeh the dreamer's got form alright, just the mention of Adam Goodes... yep, he's got real swillnut fuckin' form.

Here we are, Indigenous Australian Artist awarded art prize. First ever. Unsuprisingly, expressing someone, and something that touches most Indigenous Australians.

Swillnuts ho!!!! Surprise, surprise... yep gee, whatyaknow, really know..., who'da thunk it...

'itz farkin rigged aye!!! He ain't so good... and oye, see, we aint even slightly... ('corz we fort vey alreddy wood a dun it aaaayyee mmmaaayyytee'). We just sayin' aye... stupe's mmmaaayyytee olive branchin' em... backstoryin' em... again... '

So, dreamin 'proves' again...

Show me where I said there was never violence or disputes in Traditional Indigenous Australian Cultures dreamer. You never have shown that, never, not once. Despite being asked to back your assertion and claim on numerous occasions. Unlike you, I'm on the Dean's Honour Roll at two universities, and won awards for my study in that exact field dreamer... not IMHO, but as a reality for my efforts in study. So regardless, and unlike your simple, bitcoin boogie style of intermediate, google powered swillnutting, I successfully studied to the nth degree, Traditional Indigenous Australian's use of force to enforce their Law, and how they did everything in their human power to limit wholesale war and violence. As the unquestionable record, and mountain of evidence proves, how they did so successfully too. Hence the remarkable, unmatched record of continual Cultures flourishing, whilst living side by side. For so amasingly long. In fact, as we speak, the at least 60,000 year figure is being seriously looked at as even being 120,000 years. And yeh, I know you got a swillnut IMHO funny feelin'... again. One that ignores that overwhelming mountain of evidence demonstrating and championing the overall encouraged, Spiritual, Sacred, joined together, communal norms and values. The success story.

So again, an Indigenous Australian won 'Australia’s most prestigious portrait prize', for his work depicting his, and Adam Goodes similar life struggles. Awarded by the judges...

'Swillnuts are better judges but... even, life member, swillnut local honcho... goofer...'

'YEEEEHHHH.... NNNAAARRR.... AYYYYYYEEE BUUUTTT.... CORZ... FAAARKIN' GOOFER SEEN "EM.... AAAAAAYYYYEEE AN', AN', AN' FANKS... MMMAAAYYYTEE.'

Goofer???!!! Goofer admitted he got seriously fucked up by the infamous ('IMHO') 'uler's ta padang death paddle aaayyye'... By just the thought of it... so he bought a craft... but it ain't big enough... not yet... he's gunna but... but the peak, and all them guys inside him don't believe him... '

'Yeeehh well, well, well... well I'm a faaarkin old time swillnuttin' dude local, yaaar stinkin' cunts"...'

Equals... sweet fuckall in the real world... again...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 5:58am

in a nut.....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 8:31am

"And Goofy, who criticised Info's daubings?"

Herc bagged me out suggesting i thought i was now "some kind of artist" and using that angle to attack me

Anyway it doesn't matter if people think im an artist or not an artist or think the paintings i posted here are good or suck, it's not something i would take personally, i was actually surprised at the positive comments i got as not all that happy with the wave one, it was more just a painting i threw together after not painting for a very long time and it was more about the process, i should get off my lazy arse and do another tube view as know i can do much better as i didnt really even think about what i was doing with that painting, it was more about letting lose and expressing myself in a very quick throw it all together and just seeing what ended up kind of way and then just build on that, but the initial base was all wrong.

Anyway art is super subjective, i tried to go through the paintings that were in the final running and i really couldn't decide there is many there that i would love to be able to have the skill to do some of those realist type paintings are amazing, but not really what the judges would pick.

Still nothing really stood out to me, the one Guy picked was actually one i was thinking also that Pascoe one stood out too.

If i was the judges id probably go with the Pascoe one, it would still stir up a bit of shit with conservative media for the subject matter, and it would be be relevant to the time seeing he has been in media etc a bit, but its still a good artwork in itself.

I was quite surprised with what they picked not for the actual painting, but more for the subject matter Adam Goodes thing, it a painting you would have expected them to pick years ago not now, maybe they picked it for the whole BLM race thing this year, but to me it seems a bit obvious in a kind of tacky way.

IMHO it would have been better to have picked a painting from an indigenous artist where the subject matter wasn't cliche/tacky and stye wasn't so child like, a painting that most people went wow that is awesome what an amazing artist, instead of people going my grade 6 year old son could have done that.

Yes off course i have heard of the "Archibald prize" but like most of us i guess i learned about it long ago because every year the media runs stories and there is so much opinion's on the paintings, clearly the painting's they pick these days seems to be about just trying to get the media talking.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 8:40am

Err.. I kinda agree with most of what you're saying Indo. My pick was the same as Guys, I thought that one was amasing- but we're not the ones judging. It just remains our opinion.

Regardless of what you think Indo, the subject matter to some people is far from tacky and cliche. To many people it's quite the opposite and I don't think they'll be far off from telling you.

Anyhoo- just on my way out, surf is pumping here. Be interesting reading when I get back. Have a good one.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 9:18am

I just think with art if you have message be it social or political etc it's more powerful if it's more subtle rather than obvious, when it's obvious it's easy for it become cliche and tacky.

Be it a movie or music or visual art.

For instance a movie that makes suggestions about things be it a sexual relationship or some kind of dark horror etc is often more powerful when things are suggested but not always shown, because what you imagine can always be more powerful than what can be shot with a camera.

Or you want to write a love song, if you just wrote cliche lines about how i love you forever blah blah bah, it's kind of tacky and throw away, it much more powerful in conveying love if it was more cryptic but suggestive through other topics.

Same with visual art, if it's a real obvious painting to me its kind of tacky, especially when it tries to fit in as many things as possible like a child would.

It would be much more powerful if it was subtle in some way, like a portrait of an indigenous person who's eyes tell a story of loss and hurt and maybe some other clues in the painting that once the viewer has thought about more gives more information on why they have that expression .

I guess thats what you see in famous paintings like the mona lisa, it's that expression on her face that has made the painting so famous.

Okay here is a good example of what im talking about, now this painting is subtle but powerful and an amazing art work in its own right.

https://thewest.com.au/entertainment/art/portrait-of-ngaanyatjarra-elder...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 9:58am

Some people in art circles argue that “the Archibald is in essence a social history prize, not an art prize”
https://theconversation.com/at-last-the-arts-revolution-archibald-winner...

That would go some way to explaining some of the entries.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 11:59am

The beat goes on. The dreamer’s protection racket is alive and well. There’s always a swillnut ‘back story’... a few ‘fibbers’...

‘Ella-Duncan said this was nothing more than a deflection.

"We are wonderful at deflecting and dissembling, and ultimately failing to take responsibility," Ella-Duncan said.

"The system itself does not accept responsibility. Nor does it accept that there are failures in the system for a particular race of people. That continuing failure to act can only be described as racism."’

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-22/missed-oppportunity-indigenous-su...

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 12:28pm

"What was supposed to be a wonderful celebration of our culture — her culture — and a chance for her to showcase her skill and be that only role model for young Indigenous girls to aspire to at this current point in time … turned into something completely sour. It really soured the Firebirds' win."

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 11:16am
factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 12:00pm
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 12:36pm

I hate art biopics as a general rule.

but how was it?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 1:46pm

What art biopics caused the reaction?

Saw the trailer to the Cullen film and thought it looked good.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 2:21pm

....ummmm Frida, Pollock, Basquiat, off the top of my head.

I guess what I dislike it now when I see that art, I see it through the prism of how the filmmaker wanted me to see the artist. It pollutes my experience of their art.

and I resent that.

Same with rock biopics.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 2:54pm

'Rude Boy'
'24 Hour Party People'
'The Upsetter'
'Superstar'

All worthy rock biopics, though the second is more about a label than a band.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 5:02pm

Austraya’s finest

Daryl Gibson's picture
Daryl Gibson's picture
Daryl Gibson Saturday, 16 Sep 2023 at 7:30am
Craig wrote:

Wow..

Is dusty car window artwork a thing now? We've come a long way from 'wash me'! Peta Evans St Lawrence, QLD

A post shared by ABC News (@abcnews_au) on May 30, 2018 at 8:20pm PDT

<script async="" defer="defer" height="" src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js" width=""></script>

Daryl Gibson's picture
Daryl Gibson's picture
Daryl Gibson Saturday, 16 Sep 2023 at 7:31am