Makua Rothman - Humble Hawaiian Warrior

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot started the topic in Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 1:20pm

Couple of quotes from Makua from his Surfline interview re Cloudbreak

“when I’m on the rope, we’re up. I want to at least be in the mix to catch one of those bombs.”

"When I tow it’s like any other spot — I’m gonna go out there to get the best waves in the world. I’m not out there trying to take turns. You’re not going to eat at the end of the day if you let someone else take your food."

"When that thing stood up…some other guys were in the zone, but I told Danilo, “this is ours. We’re going. I’ll pull in behind this guy if I have to — I am not NOT catching this wave.” I’d rather be deep and eat shit than outrun the barrel, if you know what I mean. And when I saw it stand up in the channel, I was like, “this thing’s gonna be good.”

"He was trying to tell me to hold on longer, but I said, “no way.” I let go and went over the ledge and went straight to the bottom instead of taking the high line, and cranked a big bottom turn, trying to shave some speed — which may not have been the best idea. But like I said, there’s not a chance in the world that I wasn’t gonna get barreled on that wave. I’d rather be as deep as humanly possible and not make it than outrun the barrel. I pulled up into the pocket and went, “oh my God.” I started trying to go and the thing just started flying. I thought I had it the whole time, but I didn’t understand how many sections were in front of me."

Just spreading the aloha everywhere he goes.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 1:20pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 1:41pm

Betcha he wishes he could retract some of those words now

Imagine a Tow surfer from any country heading to Hawaii and coming out with that Shit
would be Return of the Blackshorts Biffo

Bad attitude Rothman..

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 2:31pm

such a lovely family. they really enjoy life, don't they.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 2:33pm

As they say- 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.'

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 2:55pm

No surprise really. You'd have to imagine there's a great deal of ego floating around out in the lineup to ride those waves. Pretty immediate outcome though...humble Ramon makes his and gets the prestigious honour of the swell named after him on Swellnet, whilst greedy Makua gets dusted within an inch of his life.
As a side note, I'd heard a winner of a biggest wave award wasn't considered for the big $ award of ride of the year because they cut someone off who was next in line.
Goes around comes around.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 4:04pm

Please edit this to Humble Hawaiian/Jewish Warrior. From what I understand Eddie and Family are proud of their Jewish Pedigree.

Doing your people proud Makua as long as you eat well F**K everyone else.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 4:19pm

Would have been better to not say anything at all and let people enjoy the wave rather than let others in on the cut throat dog eat dog game that it seems surfing these swells are.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 5:20pm

Yeah just ask Doug young about his experience at cho poo towing amongst the mayhem

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 5:23pm

Still it's an improvement on his father's approach which was basically "Go in or else"

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 5:58pm

Was his father only able to perform his hard man exploits in Hawaii? Or did he bully people in other areas?

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 10:04pm

Maybe some young punk dared to challenge

AaronS's picture
AaronS's picture
AaronS Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 11:02pm

Anyone with enough bravado & skill can tow & take off too deep. The challenge out there is to get barreled & escape isn’t it? Ofcourse, you never know until you go &. each to their own but his attitude does sound very poor. Glad he ate shit in hindsight.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 7:49am

Hahahahahahaha what a dickhead!!

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 9:02am

The day Makua got belted in the head at YB by Pete's board he was behaving like a little bitch out there too.

Wouldn't want to be a hypocrite now would we Makua?
Looks like that family has some entitlement issues on both sides of the tree.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 10:17am

That was his brother Tripper but the brat Hawaiian attitude is not a new thing.

trippergreenfeet Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 1:00pm

My bad ...

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 1:34pm

Wasnt petes board that hit koa

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 4:58pm

Laird hamilton towed koa Rothman into the teahupoo monster .. xxl awards winner a few yr ago . Makua won xxl 2003 18yo tow in at jaws.
https://www.quiksilver.com.au/blog/koa-rothman-exclusive-clip

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 5:20pm

‘The day Makua got belted in the head at YB by Pete's board’

Double ‘bad’.

In a nutshell.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 8:57pm

Are you the family spokesperson clam?

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Friday, 1 Jun 2018 at 9:27pm

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/koa-rothman-paddled-xxl-cloudbreak/26906

Jeez these boys are into talking down Ramon’s wave!
They seem to like to justify their wipeouts??
No mention of someone like Laurie schooling them all.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 4:40am

That Surline bit is a hard read; talk about cognitive dissonance!

Anyhoo, they can go on kidding themselves; while there were many brave efforts and great waves ridden, two seem to stand out: Ramon's tow bomb, and Laurie's deep smoker.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 7:46am

Wavelength mag has a interview with Tom Lowe.

" Makua, Kai Lenny and G Mac got a few...you know these are Big Heads "

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 8:02am

And from the same article as udo.

"Laurie Towner was absolutely ripping. On the big day he actually let me have a really nice one. He was towing into it and he pulled back, because he saw me paddling and shouted for me to go which was cool. He was a real standout"

Bit of a difference in attitude.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 8:12am

Here you can listen to him.

Looks like a misread to me. (nothing wrong with that), but look at that section after he falls. That would have been the one. Big open barrel. Imagine the shit he'd talk if he actually made that wave.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 9:33am

They seem to have edited the clips to remove the agro statements. Without them it is quite an interesting tale and worth watching. Pretty much the inflatable vest got him to the surface with a second to spare for one breath and then the next wave hit him square on the head. No vest and maybe he would have died. A long way to go for one wave though.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 12:21pm

Can someone please link the article from wavelength ?

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 1:31pm
Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm

Thank you Gary G

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm

You aint that Special Makua
chris_mclennan1 insta

BaSz's picture
BaSz's picture
BaSz Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 2:59pm

'For Makua’s though, I was right there looking down into the barrel and I was speechless, like ‘that was a big wave you gnarly bastard!’ The line he drew, it was so critical, he meant business, he was like ‘I’m going to get barrelled on this thing,’ he faded almost, it was crazy.'

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 12:01am

'The day Makua got belted in the head at YB by Pete's board he was behaving like a little bitch out there too.

Wouldn't want to be a hypocrite now would we Makua?'

Swillnutting 101... in a nutshell.

A classic example of surfee history(sic). Tripping the light fantastic. Just sweep it under benno's ever shrinking rug.

Just three things. Not a big ask... surely... but then...

Lurv God, Oneness, The Source, The Truth, even if them ayahauscans lurv's them some aliens. Even if Doc Tanzi's church don't.

Lurv ya neighbour. Remembering of course, the almost desperate, animated wail from Nazareth, even if that lurv hurts.

Bear witness to the Truth. Uphold the Truth. Of course without charging too hard. At least go.

Yipes... poor Pete...

'The day Makua got belted in the head at YB by Pete's board he was behaving like a little bitch out there too.'

Such a bold, 'tudin' bad boy surfee squwark! Such an inevitable, 'tudeless not so bad boy surfee squwark down.

Surfee hisstree. Not surfing history.

Who needs South Park! Imagine the tracks, the incredible roots, the branches and the evolution of that historical, surfee, swillnut squwark! Who needs South Park!!!?

'The 'kid's' on the rocks!' Even though he aint! 'Brokey seen it aye!!!' Even when he didn't!' Again.

'Twinnies are shit in the barrel and juice!' 'Faaaark you Craike, stop gettin' pitted and shralpin' on that fuckin' stinkin', lousy', 'foul', vile twinnie'... in a nutshell!!!

Surfee hisstree(sic). The tell all truth. 'Cept, they never tell all... them tell allers.

Just three fuckin' things. Even boils down to One really. That's all. Not too much to ask, surely. In a nutshell. But then...

'Ya trippin' maaayte!!! '

BaSz's picture
BaSz's picture
BaSz Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 9:18am

"'Congrats on the double-win this year – when did it feel like it was going from barrel of the year to wipeout of the year? What happened? What was going through your mind?
Well, as I was towing into that wave everyone in the lineup was trying to go and Laird looked back and said, ‘This is your fucking wave! You better go!!!’ and I was like, ‘I guess I'm going.’

I let go of the rope and thought, ‘Oh okay, it’s bigger than I thought it was going to be.

How did you feel the next day? How was your body feeling?
The next day I was just happy my brother was ok, he had hit his face on the reef really bad and needed surgery. I was feeling really sore and could barely surf – my whole body was sore, even my fingertips.

Compared to a lot of the other big wave surfers, you’re pretty young. How old were you when first started charging the bigger waves?
I think when I first started surfing big waves, like really big waves, I was probably 17, but even when I was a little kid I wanted to be out there."'

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 12:50am

Wharfjunkie : "Was his father only able to perform his hard man exploits in Hawaii?
Or did he bully people in other areas?"

"Are you the family spokesperson Clam?"

I don't think your safe in Australia WaffleJunkie, Eddies hui can find you hiding behind your keyboard.
*Ive been appointed the family spokesperson. The only commenter who didnt say something bitchin . Thanks for the honory appointment i have no qualifications at moment..

Mango Carafino's picture
Mango Carafino's picture
Mango Carafino Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 8:33pm

First of all Danilo is a piece of shit. When he was in Maui with no ski an no partner begging me to take him out to Jaws. I reluctantly did so. The waves were shit that day and strong trade winds, but ever guy from Oahu was there to surf the crap. The fucker Danilo never even thanked me nor offered to pay for petrol or oil. Not that I required his funds to advance my outing. Makua and the "lot" have always been the rat pack wolf pack call it what you will. My meaning is that without the group of guys behind him they are cowards when going solo and cowards when running in the pack. I have not met one of them who did not need to have all the friends behind them in order to feel like a man. The horrible thing is that in America and else where, these guys make you trouble and then call the cops when you deliver an ass whip on them or pull weapon to even up the odds. I remember when Makua was in diapers. Good to learn he is making music as well. But this bullshit about tow surfer to get his meal at the end of the day. Ha ha ha, when you turn the corner and realize you are face to face with someone you got a beef with from years ago, and none of your friends are around to back you up or you cannot call the cops because your in a third world country and they dont give a shit. Well, that is called Karma and Karma waits for when you least expect it. Perhaps that is why Makua got the ass drilling of a wipe out from mother nature on that day. It is never the wave you caught and wiped out on that counts. It is the wave you caught and made all the way to the channel. Perhaps that is why I hate the culture of surfing. It is all bullshit and nothing to be proud of. The action only begins after you let go of the tow rope, everything before it and after is bullshit. I look forward to the day of meeting all the cowards in a third world country.

trippergreenfeet Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 2:28pm

Alright Clam, and particularly you Cryto, before you go too hard on me ... I need to clear something up.

I'd had a fairly large epileptic seizure not long before that post ... I do know the story of the incident but I got details confused. I don't expect many, if any of the SW crew to understand how seizures fuck with the brain but it is what it is. I can't take it back.

I'll say one thing Crypto, lucky I read your post on my comment because normally when I see your name I pass straight over ... you write more confusing shit than me on a good day hahaha.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 2:47pm

Hey, particularly tripping, so knowing all that, obviously best to wait until you are thinking clearly, with all your connections, before you bad boy squwark. Resist swillnutting, in a nutshell.

And yeh, agree, the pack mentality is a funny thing.

trippergreenfeet Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 6:38pm

Thanks for your understanding Crypto ... waiting till knowing in the midst of unknowing is an impossible thing to know in that situation. Unless you've been there, not a place for you to lay comment at all.

Bad boy squarwk eh ... nothing bad at all mate, it's been common, average boy knowledge since day dot.

Once again Cryp, thanks for understanding.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 7:07pm

Particularly Trippled, nice to see you reading whilst skipping. I’ve professionally cared for many people with epilepsy, in many situations, have the necessary qualifications and yes, don’t ya just lurv it, the reffies too! Wanna see em!!??!! Again!!!

Ya fucked up, that’s all Tripped. Even with all ya connections and ‘knowledge’. That’s all Trippled. I understand.

trippergreenfeet Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 7:36pm

Neurologist qualifications???

If you say you know so much, you would not have made your previous comment.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 7:39pm

"I don't think your safe in Australia WaffleJunkie, Eddies hui can find you hiding behind your keyboard.
Makua is my friend since the 90's and especially since that time at the Oakley big wave awards a few years ago when i cruised with Koby and Makua at Manly beach Sydney . That was one of the highlights of the trip "

Well that answers my question then Clam you are acting as a spokesman on behalf of them with or without consent I do not know.
Theres a big wide world outside of surfing mate no need to be concerned by this drivel what so ever my friend. Some people are happy to stand alone cowards run in packs.

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 7:42pm

Interesting article especially for wharfjunkie.
'Makua Rothman grew up a little differently than most.'
For starters, he’s the son of the notorious Eddie Rothman, and he spent his youth getting comfortable in some of the biggest, scariest waves the North Shore has to offer. “I wasn’t born into the Brady Bunch,” he told us on set for the Headspace interview we did with him. As he grew up, big wave surfing came a little more naturally to him. “I was always a fat kid,” he told Ballin on a Budget. “[I was] always a little more heavy set, and the bigger waves just pushed me easier. I wasn’t a tail slide king as a kid, but I definitely was going to charge harder than the next kid.”

Makua isn’t just an incredible big wave surfer, either. Along with a BWT world championship, he also released an album and is working on his second. Music has been a part of his life since he can remember, and it’s rubbed off. “Music is part of my culture,” he explained. “For me to spread the aloha around the world, I can’t just do it in one aspect. Surfing and music go hand in hand.”

https://www.theinertia.com/news/2-climbers-die-accident-yosemite-el-capi...

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 7:57pm

Whats of interest John? Believe it or not I don't dislike the bloke and I do respect his ability in big waves I just don't like chest thumping and believe its better to let your actions do the talking which would have made his wave incredible regardless of him not making it.

It's just amusing that some of his followers or supporters are trying to convince people how hard they supposedly are and when a question gets asked regarding peoples deliberate intimidating behaviour its followed up with yep you guessed it more intimidating behaviour.

So best wishes to all these blokes but some of the internet supporters should leave the thinly veiled threats off the computer screens.

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 8:51pm

Wharfie have you surfed with....or against Vs the Rothman fellows in competition or free surfing.?.....what do you think of Johnny Boy Gomes.....he was a Bad boy of the surf in my day....and i was surfing the local spot and he came out and was getting his way with the pick of the sets....although a few heavy locals wanted to fight him....have you ever surfed with those wolfpak guys?

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 9:04pm

John no nor am I interested in doing so. Don't know what JBG or the Wolfpak have to do with the conversation. If you re read my comments it's pretty clear where I stand regarding makua's comments. Re read my comment re Eddie and his exploits abroad and it's an enquiry into another posters comments. Good luck to these blokes here who want to remind everyone how tough these fellas are but I have no idea how it's relevant to anything but it would appear that people try to use intimidation as a tool over intellect.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 9:12pm

It's petty discussing Eddie the pack and JBG's vibe here. Best wishes to them and Makua in his future exploits. Over and out.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 9:26pm

Is it true JBG’s fists of fury weren’t just limited to making contact with the faces of Men?
Women also copped a beating?

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 9:31pm

Is it true that Someone was very disappointed that they didnt get that wave at Cloudbreak?.....surely it was hotly contested that big thing that Makua charged regardless who else went..?