Victoria has mad waves.

Westcoastboogie's picture
Westcoastboogie started the topic in Sunday, 26 Mar 2017 at 12:40am

So, I've worked and surfed the Victorian coast for the last 25 years. I've lived in Portland, Lorne, Anglesea, the Mornington Peninsula ( where I cut my teeth ), PI, Inverloch and Foster. Sure...PI, Torquay and Mornington Peninsula are well trampled. I'm nearly 38 now. 90% of my surfs are with less than 5 other surfers. Many alone. Nearly always in high quality waves. I study forecasts and apply this to my knowlege of Victorian coastlines. I am happy to drive long hours for good waves. Nelson to the Prom. I have a problem though. I very often arrive at locations where there is no one else within cooee. I love uncrowded surf sessions. I have a young son now. Some places scare the shit out of me. 45 minute solo boat trips to surf a channel between islands. 1 hour walks to isolated beaches. Paddling across heavily tidal bars to surf solo. I wish for other surfers often.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 26 Mar 2017 at 8:10am

Good to hear mate. Yeah most of the time I travel through Vicco I'm on my own - usually looking for someone to paddle out with, and/or passing by empty lineups. It's such a fantastic coast.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 26 Mar 2017 at 9:14am

Ya dreamin mate, Vic is dogs balls!

Not really...
It's coming into the best time of year imo down here. Just need some banks now.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Sunday, 26 Mar 2017 at 10:40am

Maybe get a camera with instagram to resolve the lack of crowd issue .

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 26 Mar 2017 at 12:44pm

Thing is, NSW is also uncrowded if you're prepared to drive.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 26 Mar 2017 at 12:18pm

You should try surfing in Tassie, so so isolated

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 27 Mar 2017 at 9:12am

Sounds lovely, Boogie.
I'm a big fan of solo sessions, and even here in our capital city they are quite frequent - if you know where to look. I'd say that 50% of my surfs are solo, and another 40% with one or two good friends.

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Monday, 27 Mar 2017 at 10:24am

If you want more people in the water then move to byron then you kook and take your boogie with you