When did we start calling "Swell events"

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... started the topic in Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 6:36am

Every swell that comes along that lasts more than a day and is over 4ft is now a "Swell event", how did this happen?

old man of the sea's picture
old man of the sea's picture
old man of the sea Monday, 6 Jun 2016 at 6:13pm

I agree that today was some of the most serious surfing I've ever witnessed. The success rate of making the channel was easily the lowest I've seen for a tow in session.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 6 Jun 2016 at 6:25pm

Koby A has a hell pic of jughead up.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 6 Jun 2016 at 6:47pm
gottalovebodysurfing wrote:

Excellent day in Sydney today

Faarrkk, where's that @gottalovebodysurfing ? North Av ?

gottalovebodysurfing's picture
gottalovebodysurfing's picture
gottalovebodysurfing Monday, 6 Jun 2016 at 7:02pm
fitzroy-21 wrote:
gottalovebodysurfing wrote:

Excellent day in Sydney today

Faarrkk, where's that @gottalovebodysurfing ? North Av ?

reef at coogee. around 4pm.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 6 Jun 2016 at 7:55pm

It was an 'eventful' day at the local today - one worthy of being called a swell event. Photo and vid from late arv after a day of waves:

img_9686.jpg

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 6 Jun 2016 at 10:09pm

Jeez that wind would have made it interesting /exciting as well as being solid as......Stu get down many?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 6 Jun 2016 at 10:22pm

Wow, that is epic!

Any more footage?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 6 Jun 2016 at 10:27pm
stunet wrote:

It was an 'eventful' day at the local today - one worthy of being called a swell event. Photo and vid from late arv after a day of waves:

img_9686.jpg

Haha !

Nice one Stu.

How's the " Ooohhhh look at that ! " commentary !

Stoked you got out there.

lucky fucker.

Good memories are priceless. Wait till your young fellas hear about this swell in ten years.....for the twentieth time - Yeah Dad, The Jetty....We know.

PS Gotta say it again - that sky , the communal vibe on the hill....looks like a magic day.

And more to come.

Killing it you bastard.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 1:03am
freeride76 wrote:

I thought I'd seen Jughead die .

Yeah, I got some bombs on the DS Fitzy.
Might have got the best wave I've ever ridden out there.

sick one

johnutah's picture
johnutah's picture
johnutah Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 9:42am

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 2:43pm

That contest was 'effing nuts!

Russell Bierke- is a true Bierke.

All of them- madmen.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 2:54pm

Who won?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 3:21pm

All of them.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 3:30pm

Blowin wrote:
stunet wrote:

Haha ! Nice one Stu. How's the " Ooohhhh look at that ! " commentary ! Stoked you got out there. lucky fucker. Good memories are priceless. Wait till your young fellas hear about this swell in ten years.....for the twentieth time - Yeah Dad, The Jetty....We know. PS Gotta say it again - that sky , the communal vibe on the hill....looks like a magic day. And more to come. Killing it you bastard.

Just surfed a swell magnet at the end of the coast with reeling and ruler sharp 6-8ft lefts peeling down the beach. 'Twas a prick of a paddle out but old Eddie Blackwell, the champion, pulled me out on his ski. After that it was barrels for days.

Just drove back down the coast to the office and passed about 10 breaks that are straight up pumping. Bugger all people around, too.

The kids are gonna be so sick of hearing about this one.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 3:31pm

Young Russ Bierke then Hippo.

Spectacular viewing.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 3:33pm

Awesome Stu.

Jealous- flat as a nuns here and has been for days.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 4:22pm
zenagain wrote:

Young Russ Bierke then Hippo.

Spectacular viewing.

thanks Zen, far out Russ is a lunatic. I can't wait to see what he gets himself into over the next few years

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 8:41pm
stunet wrote:

Blowin wrote:
stunet wrote:

Haha ! Nice one Stu. How's the " Ooohhhh look at that ! " commentary ! Stoked you got out there. lucky fucker. Good memories are priceless. Wait till your young fellas hear about this swell in ten years.....for the twentieth time - Yeah Dad, The Jetty....We know. PS Gotta say it again - that sky , the communal vibe on the hill....looks like a magic day. And more to come. Killing it you bastard.

Just surfed a swell magnet at the end of the coast with reeling and ruler sharp 6-8ft lefts peeling down the beach. 'Twas a prick of a paddle out but old Eddie Blackwell, the champion, pulled me out on his ski. After that it was barrels for days.

Just drove back down the coast to the office and passed about 10 breaks that are straight up pumping. Bugger all people around, too.

Wasn't I sufficiently envious ?

Then you go and have a day like that......

So stoked for you mate.

A roll like this can't go on .....can it ?

Loving the tow out, that paddle can be shithouse. Eddie ain't a bad bloke .

Like you said - the stories Dad tells from here till dementia sets in are going to have a very common thread running through them eh?

Fuck you've earned it....I imagine there was more than a few crew happy to just spectate.

The kids are gonna be so sick of hearing about this one.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 8 Jun 2016 at 9:37am

Gotta gloat while the going is good, after all we had a five week flat spell during autumn.

Now, about this morning's session...

Hako o hakonde ... Wednesday, 8 Jun 2016 at 9:50am

Meanwhile in vicco we've got nothing. Think I'll delete this thread as all this gloating is getting rather boring, doesn't do anything for me.

I remember someone not so long ago saying he was loving vicco and did not miss Illawarra, what are your thought about it now mate? :))))

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Wednesday, 8 Jun 2016 at 10:44am

Geez where do you guys get off naming all these spots that were secret until the start of this forum?! You should at least show some respect to the well defined and consistently applied 'rules' around publishing photos of sensitive spots.

Coogee, Narrabeen, North Avalon, Sandon Point, Lennox Head. Until this forum they were only known and surfed by a select few but geez you guys will do anything for the clicks won't you?

You should take a leaf out of Gary's book: Don't do it for the clicks, do it for the chicks.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 8 Jun 2016 at 6:59pm
stunet wrote:

img_9686.jpg

Stu, keep on coming back to this clip, feel like giving some details of how you went on the day? It looks like a classic set up with a deep channel but could be so wrong with all that

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Wednesday, 8 Jun 2016 at 6:56pm

I'll give you an idea, that wave was once the preserve of housing commission royalty who didn't need to spoof on the quality of what they had.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 8 Jun 2016 at 8:04pm
stunet wrote:

Gotta gloat while the going is good, after all we had a five week flat spell during autumn.

Now, about this morning's session...

Do tell.