If you know what I meme........

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 7:07pm

A place to post your all time fave memes.... Meme wars encouraged, laughs, insults, and general mayhem..

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 10 Jun 2016 at 7:23pm

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 6:47pm

"Funny-- I can look back on a life of achievement, on challenges met, competitors bested, obstacles overcome. I've accomplished more than most men, and without the use of my legs. "

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 21 Jun 2016 at 3:47pm

#fake n wake

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 6:49pm

As a great American philosopher once said: "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

(it's actually "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!")

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 27 Jan 2017 at 1:30pm
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 14 Jun 2017 at 9:25pm

A 7 day facebook ban for posting this.... It was classed as "nudity".....
Beware, people..... An icing dripping donut in an 18+ meme group is now classed as offensive.
But by all means, manchester bombing memes are fine....
Work that out.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 14 Jun 2017 at 9:30pm

Erm...maybe the ban had something to do with the subtext?

Just throwing it out there.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 15 Jun 2017 at 9:36am

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 15 Jun 2017 at 9:39am

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 15 Jun 2017 at 11:58am

I know it ain't a meme (as such), but I came across this again the other week.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 11:09am

Jesus is old skool

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 6:46pm

Minutes of entertainment!

http://annoyingjesus.net/

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 1 Oct 2018 at 12:41pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 1 Oct 2018 at 1:04pm

It’s easy to display your rejection of nationalism if you’re Australian.

Just stop using the public health system or welfare or the roads or anything else that Australian’s created together under the social contract that is nationalism .

The myopia of the fella in the meme isn’t limited to his eye sight .

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 1 Oct 2018 at 4:28pm

Interesting take on 'nationalism' there. Not as funny and clever as the late, great Bill Hicks, but then who is?

Taking up your 'read' there, Blowin, does it not then follow that those that seek to dismantle the public health system or welfare or say the NBN (the road of the future!) are...gasp...un-Australian??

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 1 Oct 2018 at 4:50pm

The people that are at the heart of these forms of privatisation are already so rich that they believe they don’t need the protection that being part of the national community provides.

Murdoch - who wanted to kill the NBN - will never need welfare , the health system or maybe even the military . He can buy his way out of virtually anything. Therefore he sees no advantage in being Australian.

That’s why he opted out. Can you get more Unaustralian than that ?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 1 Oct 2018 at 6:36pm

Murdoch is a private citizen, is he not? First Australia, now the US. Undoubtedly powerful but a private citizen nonetheless. He can agitate and undermine but can't actively dismantle the State.

Hmmmm.

Un-Australian. There's a term.

https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/24/a-very-unaustralian-story-about-the-or...

"Patriotism is the last refuge for a scoundrel"?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 1 Oct 2018 at 6:54pm

He’s not Australian.

Therefore he is unAustralian.

Don’t overthink it.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Oct 2018 at 7:10pm

The Year 4Chan won:

This is the power of memes.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 2 Oct 2018 at 11:43am

Interesting doco there, Velocity Johnno.

4chan and the like remind me of that quote from Obi Wan Kenobi to Luke about Mos Eisley Spaceport:

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

Hang on...where am I again??

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 2 Oct 2018 at 2:37pm

"Don't overthink it"?

Blowin, unfortunately it seems a lot of Australians don't "think" it at all.

Forget Murdoch. Who notoriously pushed this spurious "un-Australian" term in the fairly recent past, and had the actual levers of power in their hands again? And simultaneously pushed and pulled those levers to dismantle the State at every opportunity? Step by step. Piece by piece.

The answer's in that link above.

And it's an ongoing project for 'em, in particular.

So, flag-waving and ranting about who and what is "un-Australian" and all, yet actually doing all the things to our public assets and institutions - selling off; under-funding; bashing; dismantling - that you said "Australian’s created together under the social contract that is nationalism"??

Wow!

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...and "patriotism is the last refuge for a scoundrel", indeed!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Oct 2018 at 3:54pm

Pretty sure I’m going to vomit if I hear that quote about patriots and scoundrels ever again.

What is it with quotes ?

Sometimes they’re appropriate and wise , sure enough , but most times it’s just the parroting of an uncredentialed character from the murky corners of history. If you’ve got something intelligent to say, just do so , repeating someone else lends it no more gravity or truth.

The above quote is literally no more insightful than saying “ Nationalists are cunts “.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 3 Oct 2018 at 10:37am

Ha ha! So........

This...

"Who notoriously pushed this spurious "un-Australian" term in the fairly recent past, and had the actual levers of power in their hands again? And simultaneously pushed and pulled those levers to dismantle the State at every opportunity? Step by step. Piece by piece.

The answer's in that link above (and now below for your convenience).

(https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/24/a-very-unaustralian-story-about-the-or...)

And it's an ongoing project for 'em, in particular.

So, flag-waving and ranting about who and what is "un-Australian" and all, yet actually doing all the things to our public assets and institutions - selling off; under-funding; bashing; dismantling - that you said "Australian’s created together under the social contract that is nationalism"??"

...doesn't give the quote - "patriotism is the last refuge for a scoundrel" - any meaning??

Snowflake meltdown? Outrage culture? Patriotic Correctness gone Mad?

Time for a cup of Billy tea and an ANZAC biscuit...and a think?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Oct 2018 at 5:47pm

Sorry , mate.

I’m not sure what youre saying , what your point is or if there is a reply sought .
Maybe just asking the question or saying what you’re trying to say would be easier.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 2 Oct 2018 at 7:20pm

That's understandable.

"Please do not understand me too quickly".

That's another quote by the way.

Anyway, I didn't really get any of this from the get-go. Well, I got it but I couldn't really believe it:

"It’s easy to display your rejection of nationalism if you’re Australian.

Just stop using the public health system or welfare or the roads or anything else that Australian’s created together under the social contract that is nationalism ."

Wow!?

There was that real big hole though. A view through to a huge hypocritical contradiction in our public sphere:

"Taking up your 'read' there, Blowin, does it not then follow that those that seek to dismantle the public health system or welfare or say the NBN (the road of the future!) are...gasp...un-Australian??"

And then you gave Murdoch a run.

Ah well, "Nationalists are cunts" might be it then. In a nutshell, so to speak??

Pssst, the answer's Howard. And patriotism is the last refuge for that cunt!

Oi!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Oct 2018 at 7:50pm

Factotum I think they just wanted their frog back from us normies and oldfags. The memes were hilarious, but in doing so they have unleashed the Egyptian god of chaos on their enemies. I don't think many of us understand the importance of this.

In the 60's young people went surfing to be away from their elders; today they shitpost.

I dunno about scum, I'd say they are the result you get when you discriminate against a group of really high IQ young people based on their gender or skin colour. You will get really intelligently, ruthlessly trolled. It's a completely crowd sourced, anonymous, grass roots, leaderless rebellion; that no one who wishes centralised control over others can stop. Even if you shut down the net, they would work out peer to peer connections and trade funny memes that take the piss out of the ruling left paradigm. When the left went after the gamers in 'gamergate' they unleashed a monster that will devour them.

In the meantime can I interest you in some rare Pepe's?

http://rarepepedirectory.com/

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 3 Oct 2018 at 11:37am

I always thought it was a 'revenge of the nerds' scenario. Once they have a real loving sexual relationship (with another human being), their emotional intelligence will catch up with their left-brain stuff.

Hopefully (incel alert!).

I can't agree with most if indeed any of your third paragraph.

But then I always thought South Park was shite too...even waaaaay back then. So Pepe and other 'funny' memes don't really tickle my funny bone at all.

Interesting though. Up to a point.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 3 Oct 2018 at 12:01pm

Actually, Guy Debord and The Society of the Spectacle gets a run on the books thread. Check out 'détournement'.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 4 Oct 2018 at 5:24pm

factotum the oldest of them are now over 30, have wives, lives etc - beyond the young man stage. They still shitpost and have the piss taken out of them by the younger anons ('30 year old boomer' was amusing). I think they are the antidote to the 60's hippy cultural marxist elders who now dominate institutions, it's just the pendulum swinging back.

There are moments of inspired trolling too, this was genius (and within 38 hours would put the research divisions of all 3 letter agencies to shame):

Again, completely unscripted, not centrally directed and brutally efficient - all for a laugh. Each to their own on the humour side but these guys own it.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 15 Nov 2019 at 10:37am

Own what exactly? That's the rub. There's nothing there, is there? Of any substance?

It's not even Mark Curtis.

The 60s gets a run?? Do you mean an EIQ - in the 60s?

And 'cultural Marxism'?! Really?

Up there with terms like SJW/ snowflake/outrage culture/PC / virtue-signalling as lazy pejorative.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

* actually anyone who uses those terms these days, especially 'virtue-signalling', flags up as 'dickhead-signalling'? Gotta love self-owning.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 7 Oct 2018 at 5:15pm

Did you see the bit in the vid where the kid uses celestial nav and some nice trigonometry to pinpoint location of a flag with no background after others used visible flight paths and flightradar to approximate location? That was very clever.

As for the labelling, it's a shorthand and quite an effective one. To further define it, you could look into the Frankfurt School, Rules for Radicals by Alinsky, note who his students were, it's a visible path. You could trace it back further to the funders of Lenin et al, the bearded guy Mr Engels sponsored himself, even the Jacobins really. Depends on how much you want to research.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 17 Oct 2018 at 6:55pm
factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 17 Oct 2018 at 7:36pm
factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 21 Dec 2018 at 7:44pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 1:58pm

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 1 Nov 2020 at 1:52pm

"Astroturf? You know who's responsible for that, don't you?! The
Jews! Ah, the Jews hate grass. They always have, they always will."

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019 at 9:11pm

Astroturf! I remember Viv Richards being asked during the WSC era wether he preferred grass or astroturf and he replied "I don't know, I've never smoked astroturf." Was in the Daily Mirror, my mum thought that was very funny although I didn't quite understand at the time.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 11:12am

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 12:10pm

hahaha "Man buns - you don't look like a samurai, you look like a soccer mum"

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 1:26pm

or a Jedi?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 7:22pm
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 18 Jul 2019 at 10:47am

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 3:30pm

Saw that this morning. So good .

It’s a shame that the flog who called the cops is Aussie. I was hoping that Australians had dodged the worst of the outrage culture. Not so apparently.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 12:25am
thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 6:21am

Wow, that was a fascinating read - especially as the story's development timeline was parallel to my own in building Swellnet. Interestingly though, I was always aware of 4chan through the mid 2000's but I never visited it. The influence it eventually attained is incredible.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 8:23am

Great read, Facto.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 9:32am

It might be interesting for web nerds regarding the development of sites , but the rest was just the conflating of cause and effect .

Blaming websites for mass killings and “ radicalisation “ is like blaming the local dry riverbed where the townsfolk gather to drink their goon before they go home to thrash the missus.

It’s a location, a neutral entity , where previously existent trauma , societal disenfranchisement and recognition of cultural destruction are expressed through impotent anger and misallocated violence.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 9:34am

As an unintended side effect , It certainly deflates the trope of “ White privilege “ nicely.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 10:56am

From today's Newy Herald