marijuana

rizz's picture
rizz started the topic in Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 8:25am

Anyone had much experience with quitting this stuff? A good buddy of mine is a daily smoker who's been trying to quit for a while now without success. Does anyone who's been in this situation have any advice? (tried counselling and quitting cold turkey) I'm not a smoker and never have been so its easy for me to say 'just don't buy it' but obviously theres more to it than that :/

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 9:46am

Does he mix it with tobacco? He's probably addicted to the nicotine

rizz's picture
rizz's picture
rizz Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 10:12am

nah he doesn't mix it, definitely the THC he is addicted to.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 11:01am

He needs to get away for a while, rizz.... Away from the monotony and familiar influences.... He needs to go somewhere that'll just blow his mind, naturally....

rizz's picture
rizz's picture
rizz Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 11:53am

yeah good advice sheepdog. I think the hardest bit is making that first step in actually changing habits and surroundings.. and not just thinking about doing it. its proving to be a vicious cycle.. he knows that he needs to change in the long term but doesn't realise its the steps that you make in the short term that alter your future. just needs more pits i think

rizz's picture
rizz's picture
rizz Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 11:55am

its super frustrating to watch as a mate.. that stuff just seems to suck the motivation and drive out of some people

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 12:52pm

Some people have addictive personalities, rizz.... It usually stems from childhood.... Some people actually get addicted to things other than drugs... I've seen people addicted to themselves lol.... People addicted to work, to the point their personal relationships suffer... Addicted to fitness, the internet.... The list goes on.....
I'd say your mate has an underlying issue.... From 18 onwards, I hit the grog pretty hard.... I didn't stop until I had a fucking good hard look at "why"... So I think your mate has to look inward.... "Why" does he want to be a couch potato? What's the "pay off".... Is the pot dulling something he doesn't want to deal with? When HE finds the right questions for himself, then HE might be able to find the answers....
You'll need a softly approach with this.....

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 3:04pm

Addicted to swellnet isnt so bad hey sheepie ?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 3:18pm

haha... Touche' caml.... But I see you're in for your fix lol

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 4:29pm

I smoked the stuff everyday for years rizz, decades in fact. I quit a few times but always got tempted to have another go on it. Friends would offer me some and I would fall back into it. When I didn't have any I'd look forward to getting some as I was addicted and hanging out. But as I got older when I got hold of some and smoked it often I just wasn't enjoying the high as much as I used to.

It was just a habit.

One of the excuses I gave myself for not giving up was "what if I don't enjoy surfing anymore if I stop?" as I always surfed on the mull, surfed well and loved the feeling. Of course that's ridiculous. You don't have to be stoned to enjoy surfing.
So I decided to quit one day but I kept a small stash hidden away just so I knew it was there and didn't have to deal with that hanging out feeling of not having it.

It was hard to quit.

My sleeping was badly affected and I had wild and vividly freaky dreams. I got some Valium from the doc to help me sleep but I only took it every other night because I didn't want to replace one addiction for another. So every second night I had a reasonable nights sleep on the Vals'.
And I drunk tea, like 20 cups a day. Every time I felt the urge to have a smoke I'd drink a cup of tea.

After about 6 weeks of slowly feeling the withdrawl effects going away one day I had a weak moment and smoked a bit of my stash. It hit me really hard and I hated the feeling. I had like a mini nervous breakdown because I knew I'd fucked up. Then I emptied my stash in the toilet and flushed it away.

From then on even to this day every time I'm tempted to have a smoke I think about that horrible feeling of that last smoke I had and how I didn't enjoy it.

It's been 7 years now and I don't miss it at all. Even with mates smoking it in front of me I'm not tempted although I try not to smell the smoke too much as that sometimes reminds me of being high. A lot of friends were shocked when I quit and couldn't believe it. They thought I'd get back on it. But I never did.

That's how it was for me rizz, everyone's different and I hope your mate can get off it if he really wants to. That's the key I think, you can't quit for anyone else, you have to want to quit for yourself. I still like pot and don't regret my years on the bong one bit. But I will never have it again.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 7:48pm

When I was 18-19 I was smoking bongs everyday, what made me quit was a 3 week family holiday. When I came back and went to my mates joint I had one cone and hated it. Nearly started spewing. Never had one since. 12 years ago.
The family holiday was to Byron bay of all places!

rizz's picture
rizz's picture
rizz Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 8:54pm

thanks for the replies fellas, it helps to get a better perspective. My mate struggles to communicate properly about but i know he goes through a lot of what you are talking about yorkessurfer, especially the sleeping and the crazy dreams.
i guess at the end of the day it comes down to how determined you are

rizz's picture
rizz's picture
rizz Sunday, 19 Apr 2015 at 8:55pm

you would have been too busy chasing around Swedish backpackers to be worried about chasing bongs in Byron goofyfoot!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 20 Apr 2015 at 10:09am

Rizz,

I can relate to the above comments, and more than likely to what your mate is going through. I think most pot addicts have a few things in common. For me (and like YS I smoked hard for about a decade) part of it was self-sabotage. I had a vague understanding that I could be doing more with my life but a couple of cones before breakfast was a way - bizarre as it sounds now - of opting out. I didn't have to consider the big questions. I didn't have to put in the hard yards at uni, TAFE, work, or whatever. Just vegged and told myself everything was fine. There's a whole world of romanticism circling pot smoking and it's so damn easy to buy into it. Of course it's total horsehit.

I had to remove myself from the social circle that smoked, eliminate the temptation brought upon by physical addiction and good old peer pressure. That's the visceral aspect, the psychological part is that I had to imagine myself without it. Thing is, I smoked it so much that mull became a part of my identity, a part of my act, and it was hard to imagine myself existing without it. Of course you can exist without it, but it requires a leap of faith to step out and try it.

The most eye opening thing of the whole process was looking back after it was over. Even just a few months later, which is enough time for the mental fog to lift, I wondered why the fuck I ever relied on it. It was both frustrating and strangely satisfying at the same time.

Satisfying because, unlike YS, I regret spending those years in a fug yet it was a first class lesson in Delphic wisdom: know thyself.

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Monday, 20 Apr 2015 at 10:26am

Taking your self out of the circle is important, you don't go hang at the pub if your trying to give up the swill.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 20 Apr 2015 at 10:45am

mothart wrote:

Taking your self out of the circle is important, you don't go hang at the pub if your trying to give up the swill.

Too right Moth. Know your strengths, know your weaknesses.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 20 Apr 2015 at 11:22am

Totally agree you have to remove yourself from that circle of people who get stoned everyday and sit around and do sweet FA. Big revelation for me was a trip away o/s for a few months surfing and doing and seeing the most amazing things and coming back and seeing same self indulgent FWs still thinking they were the coolest people going around while not moving off the couch.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 20 Apr 2015 at 1:15pm

hey rizz..does ya mate smoke thru a bong??

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 20 Apr 2015 at 2:01pm

I don't personally agree you have to bail on your mates to get off the pot. I still have the same circle of friends that I've had for 25 years. If they want to smoke its up to them. I quit for myself and am not influenced by what they choose to do.
But that's just my experience. Everyone's different.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 20 Apr 2015 at 3:20pm
yorkessurfer wrote:

I don't personally agree you have to bail on your mates to get off the pot. I still have the same circle of friends that I've had for 25 years. If they want to smoke its up to them. I quit for myself and am not influenced by what they choose to do.
But that's just my experience. Everyone's different.

You stand by your mates but my experience was these guys weren't my mates but something else. Lots of hippies are so at others expense.

Jof's picture
Jof's picture
Jof Monday, 20 Apr 2015 at 3:47pm

Hey rizz. It's all about your head space mate. Tell him to read a new earth. Then at night time try and meditate to get in the head space. Try "feeling your body" untill you feel in the present moment. Smoke 1 time per hour so you know how much your having. each day wait as long as you can before smoking then go into the routine. Need to keep meditating so the anxiety doesn't come on so quik. less and less each day. sounds dumb worked for me.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Wednesday, 22 Apr 2015 at 12:17pm

Oh no the boys out at cactus may be a bit short this week.

A bag of cannabis was found in the middle of the Eyre Highway at Penong last night and handed in to the local police...

Posted by SA Police News on Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 22 Apr 2015 at 12:28pm

Oh dear!!!

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Wednesday, 22 Apr 2015 at 12:37pm

Haha how on earth can that happen! Someone shoulda waited until they got home before sparking up!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 22 Apr 2015 at 12:45pm

Someones not going to be able to pay for there Ments boat trip they booked this year.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 22 Apr 2015 at 2:43pm

That was just the dregs I threw out, all good;) plenty of better shit with heaps of Ments boat trips.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 May 2019 at 1:57pm

Coppers who raided Nimbin need to get a real job.

Shits going to be legal here in three or four years . Legal .....as in criminal history expunged. Australian companies are selling it by the tonne overseas. What’s the difference ?

Sort your shit out FFS.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 3 May 2019 at 2:24pm

Meanwhile in the US..

Colorado’s finest #dispensary #cannabis #colorado #sangredecristo #spring

A post shared by Craig Brokensha (@craigbrokensha) on

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 May 2019 at 2:51pm

Crazy heh ?

Poor Nimbin bastards. Anyone arrested from this point onwards is akin to dying in WW2 at the end of August 1945.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 3 May 2019 at 2:55pm

it's weird that NSW is actually ramping up the war on drugs, especially mull.

that seems not just unscientific and hopelessly provincial but downright spiteful.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 May 2019 at 3:03pm

The way I see it, it's a matter of keeping everyone under the thumb so that when pot becomes legalised, Joe Average is still obedient in that he doesn't think he can sell it commercially without going through government channels.

Plus there'd be the usual thuggish spite.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 May 2019 at 3:04pm

Classic photo Craig.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 May 2019 at 3:41pm

A lot of fines = revenue.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 3 May 2019 at 6:24pm

"Coppers who raided Nimbin need to get a real job."

This is especially the case considering all the shit going down with ice. Mull has always been a very low level problem, but the way the issues have developed around ice, one would think the coppers would have way better things to do with their time.

It does my head in how ice is apparently a big problem in rural towns but no one works out, or seems to care, who the main facillitators are. Small towns being small towns you'd think the cops could work shit out pretty quickly.

My byron friends tell me the roadside drug testing has gone all nazi like around those parts too. It's a fucking sham of a systen that someone can be detected and done for a joint they had the day before.

People scared to smoke on the weekend because they might get detected on monday on the way to work is ridiculous.

Get on the crack pipe friday night, have a 36 hour bender, no sleep, all messed up for days, lay off it sunday, and you're good to go. All this despite you still be more wasted and fucked up monday morning than if you chain smoked weed and ate nothing but mull cake non stop for the whole weekend.

Same with the mining gigs and work drug testing generally. Have a 3 day bender on the ice, get your mind really really messy. A messiness that's still there days and days after you've stopped, lay off the gear 24 hours and you're good to go on site. Meanwhile the guy that had a sneaky weekend joint goes down for being a druggie.

The whole testing regime is so flawed it should have been shut down (or at least made viable) years ago

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 17 Mar 2020 at 3:36pm

New Police Chopper AD to ward off End of Days Pot Plant panic Buys.
Coming down all heavy like on Rainbow Region Marijuana Crops.

Pigz might Fly / Eye in the Sky have gone to new heights in war on Drugz.
Giant Pot Plants are now strung up as Blue Sky High ornaments.
We have got your Number with our Police Logo...[ Photo Opps Squad ]

The Plants seeds & stones suck up into the blades then pepper spray the Cockpit.
WTF Spade is thrown into the mix...Ok! So Police Pilot is just a Crash Test Dummy!
Seriously! No hurling shovels at Helicopters when there's Cops on board.
Recall recent C30 firefighters deaths....
Your Fucked! Campaign! Is State sponsored by Fucked in the Head Fuck ups !
https://media.apnarm.net.au/media/images/2020/03/17/v3imagesbin6953ce21c...

https://media.apnarm.net.au/media/images/2019/03/03/imagev1d2fface4f994d...

https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSsydney/videos/secret-marijuana-crops-in-no...

Flashback to Reagan's Coming Down on Happy High Herbs USA ..

Team USA Potty Chopper Selfies

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/auxBhbtIKCguWfPTwe163iNLuqdfE7B6...

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/0febf2ff55b23b5bf01f4c5362c85b1443e72e2...

https://liber.post-gazette.com/image/2014/07/25/1140x_a10-7_ctc/helicopt...

PS: NSW staged chopper evacs in no way resemble the NSW fake Drone Rescues!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 17 Mar 2020 at 2:06pm

tell your mate to go to a narcotics anonymous meeting. there are plenty of people there for pot. it's not just for junkies. it's for anyone who is using a drug they don't want to. NA works. it really does.

the amazing thing about stopping is that it's so dramatic. one day you are mired in the shit and loathing of drug dependency, a few days later your world completely changes. it's like being born again. it's the most incredible sensation.

now onto other matters. pot is not addictive, it's habit forming.
heroin, benzodiazadems, alcohol and tobacco are addicitve, as in physically addictive.

many activities -- such as pot smoking, exercise, playing video games, eating chocolate and surfing trigger a dopamine response and this makes these activities habit forming for many people.

as far as your mate is concerned the distinction doesn't really matter. the fact is he is doing something he'd rather not do. the basis for that behaviour -- be it addiction or habit forming behaviour doesn't matter.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 17 Mar 2020 at 2:18pm

i was in canada for six months last year and was there for the legalisation of weed.
it was a truly wonderful and beautiful thing.

what's going to make the change is big money, not pot smoking activists. change is going to come when mates of those in power say, "i want to make a motza selling legal pot" change the laws." there is so much money to be made by the government and by anyone in the business. massive amounts.
it feels like change will never come to australia, but change could come very,very quickly. there is lot bubbling along just below the surface. companies have been formed in australia in the name of medical pot. they are clearly positioning themselves to grab market share when legalisation happens.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Tuesday, 17 Mar 2020 at 3:11pm

Mal Washer, Lib MP mind, has been on the case for years. Ka-Ching!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-08/former-federal-liberal-mp-mal-was...

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 17 Mar 2020 at 10:12pm

Speaking of marijuana , Bluesfest has been cancelled.
With no static roadside RBT or MDT in NSW at the moment towns like Nimbin should be seeing an influx of traffic of pre-booked, bored backpackers.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 7:46pm

Qld Polair policing Social Distancing Session...in progress.

Qld eye in the sky takes out a nest of Palmy Army Gromz.

Chopper Squad Copper:
" Yes! We can see you with your cold drinks!"
"The Building is surrounded by Police."
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-australia-qu...

farquarson's picture
farquarson's picture
farquarson Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 7:55pm

Tell your mate to check out this talk at nimbin medical cannabis hemposium, he might find it helpful

&t=3s

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 8:02pm

Legalisation of mull put the USA back on its feet after the 2008 GFC.

Remigogo's picture
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 8:12pm

Wacky backy is an industry that's been around for centuries.

An industry wasted when suppressed by the black market and plastics.

Wake up Canberra!!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 8:23pm
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 8:25pm

O....

Statler's picture
Statler's picture
Statler Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 8:26pm

Truebluebasher, i found an easter egg Chopper squad, a node in my brain just fired
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopper_Squad
Wish i could post pictures solid gold.

Mike hunt and remigogo are stoned

Yeah Yeah legalise marijuana after the dole goes back to what it was lets talk

Statler's picture
Statler's picture
Statler Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 8:33pm

Baywatch 20 years earlier

Remigogo's picture
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 8:44pm

1.5hr round trip to Salmon beach with a dead whale Burleying (??) Up the banks... what else am I gonna do after dark??

Remigogo's picture
Remigogo's picture
Remigogo Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 9:00pm

Isolating is one thing...

Needing a landcruiser is another beast.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Friday, 24 Apr 2020 at 9:15pm

Jobkeeper/seeker is the dole pretty much, scomo surf team and with legal mull its like the 90,s are back (but the surf is way more crowded) , always better the first time...