I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 12:25pm

Thanks Andy, that's helpful

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 12:42pm
donweather wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Have not been asked for app or vaccination status in Bali at all.

So you didn't have to show vaccination status when going through immigration into Bali? Either at the airport or providing a copy of your vaccination certificate to the Bali airport express host before you left Australia?

Had to show checking in at Brisbane, both app and international vaccination cert which we had printed. I went through immigration in Bali with my wife who is Indonesian so was in citizen queue, but no, we were not asked. I will double check with her when she gets home in case I forgot, but pretty certain, no they did not. I guess they rely on passengers being checked when checking in.
Definitely not been asked for anything since arriving, hotels etc.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 12:44pm
burleigh wrote:

Loads of crew in Bali with exemptions. It its VERY easy to get an exemption.

No jab. No worries.

Yeah few expats I know got cert but were never vaxxed. Has doc visit and vaccine not administered.... Indo ey....

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 1:50pm
andy-mac wrote:
donweather wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Have not been asked for app or vaccination status in Bali at all.

So you didn't have to show vaccination status when going through immigration into Bali? Either at the airport or providing a copy of your vaccination certificate to the Bali airport express host before you left Australia?

Had to show checking in at Brisbane, both app and international vaccination cert which we had printed. I went through immigration in Bali with my wife who is Indonesian so was in citizen queue, but no, we were not asked. I will double check with her when she gets home in case I forgot, but pretty certain, no they did not. I guess they rely on passengers being checked when checking in.
Definitely not been asked for anything since arriving, hotels etc.

Can confirm definitely were NOT asked to show either app of international vaccination cert on arrival in Bali. ..
Cheers

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 1:51pm
linez wrote:

Thanks Andy, that's helpful

Forecast looking pretty good!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 4:16pm

It was a few months ago now, but i had to show my vax status checking in at some domestic airports in Indo while others didn't ask.

Also just because one person experiences something in Indo airports doesn't mean you won't, they are super inconsistent on these types of things, and things could differ from staff member to staff member, or time of day or depends on how busy they are or vary from just airport to airport or airlines.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 1 Oct 2022 at 1:24pm

Anyone been on the Bukit the last few days? How's it been? Arriving in Indo on Tuesday and will hang around Bali for a couple of weeks I reckon. Starting to get excited..

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Sunday, 2 Oct 2022 at 12:56am

I’ve been surfing balangan and impossibles most days over the last few weeks, not somewhere I would normally go but it’s been fun none the less. It’s pretty good around lunch when crowds were thinner, easy to get a wave anyway.

MrBungle's picture
MrBungle's picture
MrBungle Friday, 7 Oct 2022 at 8:25am

I went to Bali on the 15/9 and the first check at the airport was a vaccination check.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 7 Oct 2022 at 8:36am
MrBungle wrote:

I went to Bali on the 15/9 and the first check at the airport was a vaccination check.

An absolute waste of everyones time

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 7 Oct 2022 at 4:11pm

First check when I flew in last week, though she barely looked at the screenshot I had to show I had some jabs. Took an absolute lifetime to get through immigration for a VOA. Pretty sad looking forecast and lots of rain but it's very, very nice to be back. Not as many changes as I'd thought, except for the price of things being sky high. Inflation has hit hard.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 7 Oct 2022 at 6:51pm
dandandan wrote:

First check when I flew in last week, though she barely looked at the screenshot I had to show I had some jabs. Took an absolute lifetime to get through immigration for a VOA. Pretty sad looking forecast and lots of rain but it's very, very nice to be back. Not as many changes as I'd thought, except for the price of things being sky high. Inflation has hit hard.

Yeah i was blown away by prices rises in Indo, not just Bali either so not just a tourist thing Java and Sumatra prices have sky rocketed too so its just Indo inflation.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Friday, 7 Oct 2022 at 6:56pm

The Marriott in Medan is now double the price from what is was pre-covid....

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 7 Oct 2022 at 6:56pm

RP 14500 for a litre of bensin....

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Monday, 10 Oct 2022 at 12:48pm

The cost of living squeeze is a world wide phenomenon atm I’m guessing. I’ve also been blown away by the inflation here in Bali.

Waves have been okay on the Bukit yesterday… first bit of swell since I arrived with my family on the 6th of October. We’re staying in Sanur which is close to my wife’s family. This makes the trek to ulus fairly time consuming however the new toll way makes it less onerous. Take note if you’re familiar with the Mandara toll way you can now only get your toll card from the Mandiri bank at the teller.

Also if you’re bringing your IPhone over maybe reconsider as the Indo Government are making it difficult for IPhones to access the local networks particularly iPhones purchased abroad.Maybe consider bringing an android powered phone.

Finally it’s super crowded anywhere you choose to surf atm so bring some patience

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 10 Oct 2022 at 1:05pm
nicko74 wrote:

The cost of living squeeze is a world wide phenomenon atm I’m guessing. I’ve also been blown away by the inflation here in Bali.

Waves have been okay on the Bukit yesterday… first bit of swell since I arrived with my family on the 6th of October. We’re staying in Sanur which is close to my wife’s family. This makes the trek to ulus fairly time consuming however the new toll way makes it less onerous. Take note if you’re familiar with the Mandara toll way you can now only get your toll card from the Mandiri bank at the teller.

Also if you’re bringing your IPhone over maybe reconsider as the Indo Government are making it difficult for IPhones to access the local networks particularly iPhones purchased abroad.Maybe consider bringing an android powered phone.

Finally it’s super crowded anywhere you choose to surf atm so bring some patience

Indo Maret also have toll cards... If in stock.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 10 Oct 2022 at 4:39pm

Which things have increased in price in Bali? What prices are we talking here?

Expensive and crowded…heavy.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 10 Oct 2022 at 6:29pm
DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:

Been here for 4 weeks, kind of everything has gone up, was last here Jan 2020. Petrol is expensive for Indo at around $1.40 litre, use to be a lot cheaper than Oz. If buy local produce at market which we have and cook yourself, still cheap. Western restaurants vary, cheaper than Oz but few beers and meal looking at $20 , -$30 per person...
Local warung still get good Nasi under $5.... Binnys rp. 25000, local craft beer rp 52000 in supermarket.
Busy but still heaps of relatively uncrowded waves , although last week been ordinary with early on set of wet season....

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 10 Oct 2022 at 6:30pm

Digital nomad gets around price increases ..

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 10 Oct 2022 at 6:31pm

Better back in the day!! Ha

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 1:18am

Very difficult to not say g'day to the Raglan Surf Report fella at Ulus every time I see him.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 7:49am
andy-mac wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChjfFswhQde/?igshid=MDE2OWE1N2Q=

Better back in the day!! Ha

Ha!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 8:07am

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

MrBungle's picture
MrBungle's picture
MrBungle Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 11:57am
burleigh wrote:
MrBungle wrote:

An absolute waste of everyones time

That airport is great at wasting time, so many weird checks. Sydney airport on the return redeye was right up there though, chaos. Never wanted to get out of somewhere so bad.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 12:01pm

It’s as though they’re trying to disincentivise punters from global air travel….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_Consent

MrBungle's picture
MrBungle's picture
MrBungle Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 12:00pm
andy-mac wrote:

Been here for 4 weeks, kind of everything has gone up, was last here Jan 2020. Petrol is expensive for Indo at around $1.40 litre, use to be a lot cheaper than Oz. If buy local produce at market which we have and cook yourself, still cheap. Western restaurants vary, cheaper than Oz but few beers and meal looking at $20 , -$30 per person...
Local warung still get good Nasi under $5.... Binnys rp. 25000, local craft beer rp 52000 in supermarket.
Busy but still heaps of relatively uncrowded waves , although last week been ordinary with early on set of wet season....

Saw cans of little creatures at a bottle shop up in Canggu for 100 000 a can... Stuck to Bintang.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 12:24pm
udo wrote:

https://thebalisun.com/weather-warnings-issued-in-bali-for-the-week-ahead/

Was worried when saw headline thinking terrorism attack concern to mark 20th anniversary of bomb.
Ok some crappy weather. Phew.

jezza64's picture
jezza64's picture
jezza64 Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 3:04pm

Prices went up overnight when the fuel price went up. Boats to the reefs went from 50k to 70k at Pantai Jerman. Locals very pissed off at the govt.

On the bright side found Bintang Crystal 500ml cans in the local supermarket at 6 for 100k….had to ask the checkout girl if she had rung it up correctly.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 3:39pm

What’s Bintang Crystal?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 3:42pm

What’s Bintang Crystal?

Beer you can smoke through the see through didgeridoo

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 4:37pm

Bintang Crystal

Hmm news to me, seems it was launched in 2021

4.3% compared to 4.7%

Suppose to be a "Smooth Cold Brewed Beer: processed under cold degree
temperature to reserve its smooth and refreshing taste"

So what's it taste like, compare to standard Binnys?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 5:30pm

What’s Bintang Crystal?

Had one when first got here, kind of a Dry/ Carlton Cold version of Binny. Bought one, won't buy another but it's ok. Kura Kura Ale worth spending a bit extra for a treat, as is Island Brewing Pale Ale, but 2x price of Bintang. Bali Hai also have an IPA which is alright, cheaper than Kura or Island....
Hot work over here in Bali. :)

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 6:47pm

I didn't mind the crystal as a change. I can't do relentless Bintang night after night as the average "tinny" taste just get's to me after a while.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 8:33pm

Back on the forum after a hiatus, thinking of going to Bali after many many years. What's the deal on the PeduliLindungi app, did you download before you travelled ? If not any issues through immigration? Thanks

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 8:39pm

I do have a hard copy of the International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 9:40pm
seaslug wrote:

Back on the forum after a hiatus, thinking of going to Bali after many many years. What's the deal on the PeduliLindungi app, did you download before you travelled ? If not any issues through immigration? Thanks

You needed to show you had downloaded it in Oz when checking in. Had no one check in Bali on arrival, we both had hard copies of international cert from Oz also, not looked at
However, my Indonesian wife flew to Kalimantan, on her return she was asked to scan Peduli, came up could not travel as she was not asked to scan in Bali, so no record. No dramas as she showed international cert and got on flight. Seems sone regions taking it more seriously than others.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 11:12pm

"...Seems sone regions taking it more seriously than others."

yep

you'll never really get asked for vax certificate landing in bali, the onus is on the check in desk in oz

same when you return, onus is on check in in bali, saves doubling up i guess

pretty strict last time I went through oz, but they have an additional desk to check it all out before you actually check in, just tick the boxes and all is ok

PeduliLindungi app was kinda strict for a while, but literally no one checking it now (in bali) - maybe malls, never go there to find out

even before, without it (the app) photo of vax certificate was accepted everywhere

tbh, it seems bali is done with corona... moved on... heard its different in java

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 11:17pm
sypkan wrote:

"...Seems sone regions taking it more seriously than others."

yep

you'll never really get asked for vax certificate landing in bali, the onus is on the check in desk in oz

same when you return, onus is on check in in bali, saves doubling up i guess

pretty strict last time I went through oz, but they have an additional desk to check it all out before you actually check in, just tick the boxes and all is ok

PeduliLindungi app was kinda strict for a while, but literally no one checking it now (in bali) - maybe malls, never go there to find out

even before, without it (the app) photo of vax certificate was accepted everywhere

tbh, it seems bali is done with corona... moved on... heard its different in java

Have not been asked for Peduli in any malls etc, but they still require masks, although not really strictly enforced, but majority people local and tourist are wearing them...

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 12 Oct 2022 at 12:34am

Bummer, didn't expect to be asked at checked in with JS in Perth

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 12 Oct 2022 at 9:37am
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 12 Oct 2022 at 10:38am

Geez 20 years since the first Bali bomb, time flies. Will never forget the carnage and misery at Sanglah hospital as families flew in to identify their loved ones. An event that definitely demonstrated the best and worst of humanity. Sad day for those in any way involved.
Take care.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 12 Oct 2022 at 11:34am

https://m.

&t=948s

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Thursday, 13 Oct 2022 at 7:24pm
sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 13 Oct 2022 at 7:38pm

"WTF were they thinking?!"

maybe that the ceremony wasn't exclusively for australians and their hypersensitive sheltered sensibilities...

ever watched the news in indo?

they do things differently over there

thankfully (some might say)

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Thursday, 13 Oct 2022 at 8:06pm

quote=sypkan]"WTF were they thinking?!"

maybe that the ceremony wasn't exclusively for australians and their hypersensitive sheltered sensibilities...

ever watched the news in indo?

they do things differently over there

thankfully (some might say)

Do you reckon it was just Aussies who were offended? Do you think they should just harden up?

I know the Indos do things differently but I also know they have a heart.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 13 Oct 2022 at 9:00pm

"Do you reckon it was just Aussies who were offended?"

sure seems that way, haven't heard complaints from any one else...

"Do you think they should just harden up?"

I wouldn't say that, seems a little harsh...

but I do think australians should realise it wasn't all about them, the ceremony was for 200 dead not just 80... amongst other things...

a ceremony in indonesia, largely in indonesian language, from what I read, so yeh, maybe a bit less self centredness perhaps?

"I know the Indos do things differently but I also know they have a heart."

they totally have a heart, but they totally do things differently too, much different views about life and death, and what is appropriate. a little cultural awareness might go a long way...

and tbh, I think the oz government is well out of line voicing their official displeasure

but Im happy to be corrected if the indo's found it all inappropriate

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 13 Oct 2022 at 9:12pm

to be fair, i'd say getting the PR department of the deradicalisation wing of the police to do some vids was probably a mistake

but I'd also say, I bet the indos didn't really see anything wrong with that part either

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 13 Oct 2022 at 9:21pm
sypkan wrote:

...a ceremony in indonesia, largely in indonesian language, from what I read, so yeh, maybe a bit less self centredness perhaps?

You know you don't have to comment on every fucking thing, mate? It's OK to let some events pass without passing judgement, especially on people attending a memorial for god's sake.

Just shut the fuck up.