2014-2015 Northern-Hemisphere Snow Season

away's picture
away started the topic in Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 10:27pm

It is that time of year again. We had a good snow related thread going on last season so I thought I would start it up for this year.

In Japan, some of the Honshu snow areas like Nagano, Niigata and Yamagata have had the first real winter storms of the season, some big dumps and barren looking ski hills turned white over night on the webcams I check while I should be working.

I have moved from Niigata where I had a few hills close by to Tokyo where I can only carve concrete. Now, hitting the mountains requires a lot more expenditure of effort, time and money. Hopefully talking shit about snow on here with other swellnetters will help me get some stoke and motivate me to get on those early morning buses and trains to head to the hills. I am hoping to get my first lines in about 2 weeks.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 7:44pm

New boots are always great Mundies, awesome, hope they fit like a glove.
Hope you some good Yuki;)

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 7:46pm

That whole set up with predominant wind flow from Siberia over the Japan Sea picking up moisture and dropping it on the Japanese Alps couldn't be more perfectly designed

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 7:46pm

Could be higher to eliminate occasional rainfall I guess, but you want tree runs when its puking...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 8:01pm

Don't know Welly. Do you want one?

I can check.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 8:15pm
mundies wrote:

That whole set up with predominant wind flow from Siberia over the Japan Sea picking up moisture and dropping it on the Japanese Alps couldn't be more perfectly designed

I can't think of any other country that has such a superb snow making machine setup.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 8:31pm
zenagain wrote:

Don't know Welly. Do you want one?

I can check.

Haha, Thanks Zen, you have a good heart champ.
Its all good, I was only kidding.
I do like the design tho, waves and mtns;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 8:34pm
donweather wrote:
mundies wrote:

I can't think of any other country that has such a superb snow making machine setup.

Alaskan steeps, need moisture sometimes;)

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 9:11pm

There are more intense places in terms of terrain no doubt. But for those of us who don't want to die and have snowboarding wives who also don't want to die a fair bit more vocally than their male counterparts, there is Japan. Notwithstanding avalanches.
I've done some reasonably scary stuff in the Dolomites, BC & Colorado, But that was all riding for the whole season. Now I have two little toddler grommets and don't do seasons, just trips. Changes your approach. Surfing is different because living on the coast I surf when there are waves which is a lot of the time.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 10:06pm
wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 7 Feb 2015 at 3:46pm

Copyrights DW.....?

No footage.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 7 Feb 2015 at 4:13pm
wellymon wrote:

Copyrights DW.....?

No footage.

The above link works for me.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 7 Feb 2015 at 6:35pm

Anyone..........!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 7 Feb 2015 at 8:29pm

Worked fine for me earlier - now blocked.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 7 Feb 2015 at 7:46pm

uuummm ProNet...?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 7 Feb 2015 at 8:26pm

Was fine last night, now blocked here for me.

Will check at home.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 12:55am

Yep, vid no longer available due to copyright claim by such and such.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 10:53am

Here is an un-protected youtube link

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 10:54am

And here's yours Ash-

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 11:21am
zenagain wrote:

And here's yours Ash-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxN5EuKaJMc

Noticed that the person posting that link was a bloke too. More of us than you imagine.

And right back at ya. Remind you of your trip to Bangkok

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 11:28am

Could only pick up a few key Thai words.......me make your banana cry.. or something .

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 11:36am

That avi clip is so hectic!!!

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 11:39am

I thought he/she said something along the lines of 'No Mister Zen, I don't care how famous your piggy back rides are.....'

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 3:40pm

Had me fooled, looked like a woman, walked like a woman, talked like a woman (sort of) and even kissed like a woman.

But when she drove me back to her place and did a perfect reverse park I thought, hang on a minute......

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 5:46pm

Well spotted Zen but then what happened....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 8 Feb 2015 at 6:29pm

Well Simba, as always the gentleman, I said thank-you, I'm flattered, maybe even a little curious but the answer is NO!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 13 Feb 2015 at 11:39am

Great photo by Lucy Burke of Hokkaido this morning or the last day or so.. Be freezing but!

away's picture
away's picture
away Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 2:52am

Cool to see the snow stoke still going.

I have to announce that I have been converted and will now be sliding the snow with a sideways perspective. Went to meet up with some mates from Australia at Nozawa and since everyone else was on the boards I decided to leave the skis and hire one for two days.

The first day we had a blizzard and at least 40cm of powder over the groomers. I spent the first few hours learning to link turns, visualising my favourite bowl... frontside carves when I needed to go heel-side and backside carves when I needed to go tow-side. By the arvo I was getting some smoothish runs and throwing some little slashes.

I can`t believe how much easier it is to get air on a snowboard than on skies and even a skatey. Snowboards just have this crazy bounce and you can get enough air for an easy indy or melon just ollie popping off the flat. Boing Boing.

I hope this season has a few dumps left in it as I am keen to get up there and get some more practice in.

That wont be for a little while though as I bruised the hell out of my tail bone skating a bowl yesterday. I am walking very daintily today and cant sit on hard surfaces.

Mr. Zen or anyone else... Any advice on getting big size boots in Japan? I have searched Rakuten and even spent an afternoon in the snow sports district between Kanda and Ochanomizu hunting with no luck. I guess I will have to hire for the rest of this season and get some shipped from America via a proxy service.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 7:03am

Away san, nice to hear from you. Welcome. I was a skier once but changed to a board ten years ago and would never go back.

I cancelled todays go up, looking like warm temps and rain, but more snow forecast later in the week. I'm off to Zao for the first time next weekend so looking forward to that.

Last Monday we scored sweet powder up in Fukushima and had a blast in the trees. We found somewhere new that had been under our noses for years.

Boots are tricky. You could try Sports Xebio or Sports Authority as they usually have a few bigger sizes, up to 29cm or so and prices would be coming down now heading into March. But, I'd say your best bet would be to look out for the sales on the American websites like Evo, Backcountry.com or Tactics. The only problem with that is you don't get to try them on and as you would know, like ski boots, poorly fitting boots can make your life miserable.

Been a pretty amazing season over your way, me too hope we're in for a some more. I'm off to a place called Tengendai mid-March and that apparently has some of the best snow in Honshu.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 7:13am

Taken from the top of Alts Moday arvo. Very pretty.

As you could see I'm not the best photog at keeping the horizon straight.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 12:15pm

You took it at high speed Zen, trying to avoid the two legged slalom gates that reared up in front of you;)
Nice shot cheers.

away's picture
away's picture
away Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 1:25pm

Nice picture! Yeah it has been a snowy season indeed. Hopefully we have another good month of winter to enjoy. The warm weather and rain are forecast all over.... But hopefully it will pass soon as you said.

I am planning a few days somewhere over the next couple of weeks. Just have to wait for my arse bone to mend and hopefully not hurt anything else. Maybe in my old stomping grounds of Niigata, or maybe even Gunma. I guess as the season gets old we should be looking for more altitude to hold that nice snow.

Unfortunately, 29cmboots wont cut it for my hobbit hooves. I order skate gear from Tactics and my brother also suggested EVO. They have some good deals up there right now. Looking at the the 32 Lashed boot. Just have to figure out the right size, 30 or 31cm. I have been told they are great for wide feet.

ZAO is a rad place indeed. If the main peaks are crowded (probably won`t be) head way over to looker's right to the "Kurohime" area. WHen I was there, it was deserted, had heaps of walls and some cheeky side piste action. The snow monsters are pretty cool, but due to traffic unless you are there early after a good dump the slopes around there will be all scraped out. They also have some light up thing at night that you can access from the Gondola if I remember correctly.

Stay safe and snowy everyone.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 8:19pm

Thanks for the advice regarding Zao.

You can't go wrong with ThirtyTwo boots. I've got some Boa ones and they're still going strong 7 years later. I bought a pair of Burtons, they're ok but last year went back to my 32's and just have the Burtons as back-ups.

Some good numbers forecast this week, hopefully it will continue into early next week as I've got Sunday, Monday and Tues at Zao. Staying on the snow too, so nice to have the lift straight out the door. Fingers crossed for some freshies.

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 10:19pm

Ended up getting Burton Imperial 2015 model:
http://www.gearinstitute.com/snowboarding/item/burton-imperial-snowboard...
Haven't really worked out the Speed Zone lacing system as yet - tried the boots on once during super-humid TC Marcia and 20 seconds into fitting the first boot I was sweating cartons. Had to drink a 6 pack just to rehydrate before trying the 2nd boot on. But good fit and feel comfortable straight up. Frothing for japow...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 10:39pm

Nice boots mundies, similar to my Burtons. I like the lacing system too as I like to crank the top part (upper zone as it says on the leather tag) and keep the lower zone quite loose. Just my personal preference and not something you can do with a Boa system.

You bringing a board or renting? If so what are you riding?

Craig has his K2 Ultra Dream, 160 I think and it's a sweet board, great in the deeper stuff and flies on the groomers and I'm finally dialled into my Never Summer Premier F1 163. So different to my Salomon Sanchez, I really have to muscle the turns, no going slow on that bad boy. A Mate bought this years Salomon Powder Snake, that thing is a weapon.

Enjoy, I know you will.
I

away's picture
away's picture
away Monday, 23 Feb 2015 at 1:07pm

Damn it is disgustingly springish in Tokyo today. Supposed to get up to 15C. Don't worry Mundies... snow is on the forecast later in the week I believe.

I notice you throwing around some board lengths around Zen. My brother who is a frothing snow fiend recommends I get about a 159 despite me being a big bastard. He reckons width and stiffness will be more important to me. His recommendations though are based on me wanting to spend some time in the park as well as cruise some powder/groomers.

163 seems big (although I don't know how big you are) What is your riding style?

I am just getting into this snowboarding thing so talking tech is a lot of fun My wife is worried though and starts making weird noises with her mouth whenever she sees me browsing all the shiny new gear online.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 23 Feb 2015 at 1:23pm

Yeah I'm not totally over the dimensions/size of boards but as Zen said I have the K2 Ultra Dream 161cm I think and it absolutely flies. Super quick downhill and great shape scoop/end rocker? for the powder.

Bought in Kanda with bindings and bag for less than half the normal retail price. Lucked in I think!

Photo from when I got it start of last year..

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 23 Feb 2015 at 1:48pm

Basically, like skis, the longer the board, the faster it is and the more 'float' it provides in deeper snow. The shorter the board, the easier it is to turn but also may be less stable at speed (and landings). So if you're a park rider, you would probably go for something shorter (and what is called a true twin for switchfoot riding and landings) and if you're more oriented to all-mountain or freeride go a little longer. Height doesn't matter too much but your weight should have a bearing on the length and width that you go for. A lot of the boards you get also come in X sizes which is essentially the same board but wider for those that are heavier or have big feet (sounds like you do).

There's heaps more to it than that, twin, directional, set-back, rocker, camber, effective edge, sidecut radius etc but basically, if you want to go park go shorter, if you want free ride longer, all mountain somewhere in between I'd imagine. I ride an all mountain board because I shun the park and my little bunny hops are just embarassing, but I do like to go fast, I love powder and I love to carve which my new sled seems to serve me well.

Problem is with me, I suffer from board envy, I see someone else's board and think I'd love that. Saw Craigs brand new stick last year and was jealous, this year I'm envious of a mates new Salomon. But, still happy with mine. I'll try and post a pic.

By the way, I'm 6ft, 93kegs and size 11 foot.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 23 Feb 2015 at 1:50pm

This is my bad boy. Wife insists on me advertising I'm an Aussie (even though the board is American).

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Monday, 23 Feb 2015 at 10:52pm

Zenagain - I've got a burton clash 160. Great all-round board with reasonable flex and good width to float me - I'm 6'1'' & 92-95kg ish.... Its fairly fucked at the moment as last snow trip was the Andes and it is fucking rocky and brutal on equipment there. I got a ceramic Oxygen (don't think they make them anymore?) 163 fairly stiff - I got in NZ a few years ago and its unreal for steep and deep and going mach 20 but not as versatile. Think I'll take my Burton to Japan and get it tuned and bogged asap once I get there. Surfed Kirra Thursday not too many crew and pumping, had the kids all weekend and missed some good days but seeing all the ruthless shit makes me crave cold freshies

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 23 Feb 2015 at 11:50pm

Most bigger resorts can do repairs on gouges or you could get a p-tex candle and do it yourself.

Burton Clash? You're in good company here, the Jappies love Burton gear.

I'm envious of you having a go out in warm water, I haven't surfed for over two months, been my longest break in years. Cold freshies can't be beat though, we scored lovely powder last Monday and hopefully Zao will deliver for me this weekend.

If you're into trying something different, I know a guy who runs a company called Powderrecon, his name is Bryce and he's super experienced. He takes small groups around the resorts in my area (leaving from Myoko) and has agreements with a lot of the resorts allowing him to take his group out of bounds and into the side country stuff. They stay in nice hotels and work around the weather patterns. He's become quite popular so turns lots of people away now. I went with him a couple of years ago as a guest of a guest and it was really enjoyable. Caught up with him recently by chance as his group were staying in the same hotel Craig and I were. Small world. I recommend it as a way to see places that very few foreigners get to see and to board/ski these resorts on a weekday when they're mostly empty.

In a way though, he's kind of opening up my area to more foreigners which I don't necessarily love but I suppose it's inevitable.

Man, hope you luck in but even the change of scenery is enough to recharge the batteries.

Itterasshai.

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 12:27am

Origato ZA! Yeh I was thinking maybe a local guide for a day just to scope Nozawa out quickly. I'm only there for about 9 days of riding so finding the goods quickly is imperative. Theres another place nearby I'm keen to ride too - starts with an "M" but can't recall the name off the top of my head right now...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 1:04am

Madarao?

Good tree riding there.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 2:01am

Just got back from my Japan trip...Its a fascinating place!

Getting off the bus in Shinjuku after a 15hr flight was an assault on the senses...
Went to Asahidake after speaking to some people who were there a few weeks before who said I shouldnt have any trouble meeting people to ride with staying at the hostel. Turned out to be true.
First day was super good and it kept dumping all night..a bit of a let down at breakfast when the word went out that the gondola was shut.
Scored at Kiroro but that damn wind kept the top of the mtn shut..
After that went to Niseko. Snowing when we arrived and in the morning bluebird but dropping into the backbowl (did the hike first up) it was a bit of a letdown when already the warm temp had screwed the snow. Stayed a bit warm and only got a dusting after that. So the niseko part was a bit of a let down snow wise but still it was fun.

Couple days\nights in tokyo afterwards was a bit hectic but had a great time... I definitely want to go back to Japan at some point.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 3:57am
zenagain wrote:

This is my bad boy. Wife insists on me advertising I'm an Aussie (even though the board is American).

Hey Zen, Whats up with your back foot...? What angle you riding...?
Thats a knee breaker angle for going backwards;)

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 7:26am

Is the line in your carpet specifically so you can line the chairs up on the line? If so the wrinkles in the rug in the background would be a bother for you wouldn't they.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 10:43am

Welly, the board and bindings were brand new then and I have tweaked them since then and set the stance back more. It's a directional board. The photo may be deceiving because I keep a pretty neutral stance +15/-5 or thereabouts.

Hah ha Shaun! That's not my house, it's the living room part of my business, you can see the name on the window. I line the chairs up that way because I'm the consummate professional. The other rug gives me the shits, I'm chucking it out.

Awesome Nomad, Hokkaido snow has been a bit iffy this season but Honshu is way up. Mother nature, what can you say?

away's picture
away's picture
away Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 12:55pm

Mundies, I saw some new Burton Clashes in the shops around town for under 300bucks if you just wanted to grab a new one. A few shops in the snow toy district had them.

How is the Zao forecast looking Zen?

I doubt I will gt back on the snow this season.... injured.

Going to a physio this afternoon so her is hoping...

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 3:55pm

Away...? Injury.. Knee...?
You and Zen are having an injur off at the mo.

Zen tried riding back foot negative degrees, found it really bad for the knees....?
Seemed un natural coming from a surfing style..? Do you plant your back foot backwards when surfing...?
Me I ride 15-18 deg front and 3-6 deg back and pretty wide, not really into riding backwards, unless I've had a big stack and land backwards for that split second before eating shit;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 3:57pm

Away san, still hurting from snowboarding? Bugger. We've still got a good month or so left, so I'm hoping to make the most of it because I missed the first half myself as you know.

Zao forecast looking good. Going to cruise up Sunday and then have all day Monday and Tuesday. Heavy snow forecast for Sunday night, so Monday should be sweet and pretty quiet after the Tokyo/Sendai crowd go back to work.

Question, you recommended the Kurohime side but I looked at the trail map and with the exception of the 'T-something ' wall, looks like all green runs? What makes you recommend that area apart from that it looks more out of the way so would be less people I guess?

Staying in Zao no Shiki hotel. About a 5 minute walk from one of the ropeways, do you \know it?

Any other recommendations for Zao greatly appreciated. I'll be solo so will be able to get around pretty quickly. Wife will be onsen-ing on and curling up with her book. Cheers.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 4:21pm

I do ride negative back foot Welly. Very similar to your setup but probably 2-3 deg negative on the back foot. I Also, I do surf with my back foot slightly negative too. Bindings are top of the line and canted, sweet as on the knees

I rarely ride switch unless I over rotate too and then come a cropper. Welly, i think we'd get on real well on the hill:)

I just checked then, I dicked around the other day on the hill and didn't have my glasses on but found a sweet set-up and I'm +18 front, -3 rear and 55cm wide (21.5inches). So I'm going to run with that as I feel very comfortable.

Knee is pretty much back to normal now.