2014-2015 Northern-Hemisphere Snow Season

away's picture
away started the topic in Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 10:27pm

It is that time of year again. We had a good snow related thread going on last season so I thought I would start it up for this year.

In Japan, some of the Honshu snow areas like Nagano, Niigata and Yamagata have had the first real winter storms of the season, some big dumps and barren looking ski hills turned white over night on the webcams I check while I should be working.

I have moved from Niigata where I had a few hills close by to Tokyo where I can only carve concrete. Now, hitting the mountains requires a lot more expenditure of effort, time and money. Hopefully talking shit about snow on here with other swellnetters will help me get some stoke and motivate me to get on those early morning buses and trains to head to the hills. I am hoping to get my first lines in about 2 weeks.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 5 Jan 2015 at 2:16pm
zenagain wrote:

Apparently not on this occasion Southey.

What goes on the mountain, stays on the mountain:)

As long as its not Broke back mountain ....

away's picture
away's picture
away Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 3:30pm

I saw the guy on the news, he had the dread-locked guru/ cult leader look going on. I imagine they were his willing subjects and would have done anything to keep the leader alive and his hands warm. Their faith in him saved them. It was a miracle.

Seriously though, that must have been a long 48 hours or so.

I have good news of my own to report. My first good day on the slopes. This time I chose a resort in Gunma that I had never been to before and got lucky with my timing. I went yesterday, on the day most Japanese have to recommence working after the brief New Year vacation. The few days before had seen heavy snowfalls in the area, and I rocked up to blue skies, subzero temps with no wind and still lots of untouched sparkling snow!

It was a nice little resort, quite isolated by Japanese standards and not so big, but with plenty of options, steeps, ungroomed, trees, terrain. There is one run which is pretty much a one kilometre long half pipe with walls ranging from about 2- 8 metres in height. Lots of opportunities for airs and surf style slashes. I spent most of my day there.

My leg muscles hurt but I feel like the season has begun.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 3:41pm

Was it Maranuma Kogen?

Did you hear the rescue guy getting stuck into him on the news? He was a pretty charismatic looking cat wouldn't you agree? Apparently a designer from Tokyo and those two with him were his minions.

away's picture
away's picture
away Thursday, 8 Jan 2015 at 12:08am

Mr. Zen, I wasn't at Maranuma, I was at Houdaigi. It is a small resort but a whole lot of fun. Coming from your way I guess you would have to pass a lot of good hills to get to that one. Definitely worth it though if you happen to be near Minakami but not something like Zao, worth making a trip for when you have the bounty of Bandai-san nearby. It was my first time to the area, but I will be back. Here is a crappy video from their website of my favourite run there. You can see the skatey halfpipe/ big walls to slash on potential.

As I will be mostly day tripping from Tokyo, I was considering trying Maraunuma next. Have you ridden there? What was it like?
There are some companies with incredible deals for snow trips... I paid 4300 yen for the day trip, return bus trip and lift ticket included. I checked at the resort and the ticket itself was 4200 yen. They have some similar deals to Maranuma and a bunch of other decent looking resorts in the northern Kanto area like Kawaba.

I don't have a TV so I didn't hear Mr. Designer/Off Piste Explorer getting told off, I just saw it on the TV screens on the Chuo line and got the culty charisma vibe as he made his apologies. Were the minions on TV too?

That is a another good thing about Houdaigi, everything leads down into a single valley, so venturing into the trees/ between pistes isn't as big a risk as if you keep going down, you will end up at a lift. No cliffs to fall off etc. I am being a lot more conservative in that regard this season.

How is the gimpy knee?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 8 Jan 2015 at 1:00am

Haven't been to Marunuma but I have my eye on quite a few of the Gunma resorts. I don't really venture much further than Alts or Nekoma usually because I buy my tickets in November at Sports Xebio which on average saves me quite a bit of cash. Also, they seem to be getting to know me now at Alts (well the guys at the kebab stand anyway) and I finally got my premium card which gets me free parking and a good discount when I go through my pre-purchased tickets. Having said that, I like to try one or two new places every season so been to Hokkaido, Nagano, Tochigi, heaps of Fukushima but yet to do Gunma and Niigata. Finally going to Zao end of Feb and planning to do a place called Tengendai in Yamagata which I'm told has the best snow quality on Honshu and is way off the gaijin radar.

I really should do more Gunma resorts because as the crow flies, driving distances are roughly the same and I heard that they're virtually empty during the week. Also, I have an open invitation to use a condo at Kusatsu Kokusai but I feel kind of weird accepting that because I don't really know the people that well.

Those bus trips are brilliant value agreed especially out of Tokyo, good way to meet people too and heaps of chicks go on them I'm told, but that's also precisely why my wifey won't let me go on one- it's not that she doesn't trust me it's just that she doesn't trust them she reckons:)

Anyway, knee is getting better but still giving me the shits, not healing fast enough and the season is slowly ticking along. I reckon 2-3 more weeks and I'll ease myself out there.

Here's hoping for a long and cold, powdery season. Hope all is well.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 11:29am

Got my Zamst Z7 knee brace yesterday. I'm a skinny chap so got the small, only problem is I have big knee caps and the hole in the brace for the knee cap on the small is too small for my knee cap, hence when I stand straight legged, my knee cap gets pushed back in behind the front of the brace and it is quite difficult to then lock the knee cap in and provide some strength and stability to the knee. Feels good with the leg bent but.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 12:00pm

Maybe it has something to do with the design Don? My kneecap sits under the hole too not through it and it does tend to hinder me when I walk. I kind of have that stiff legged gait now. But when my leg is bent i can definitely feel the extra support and the restriction on the lateral movement.

I have a question to anybody who experienced an MCL injury.

End of week 4 now and I pretty much have a full range of movement but the actual area is still tender to the touch. I can flex and extend my knee and lateral movement has returned to normal with just a little pain. But yesterday, jumping into the car, I banged my knee against the steering column and I was nearly sick with the pain. Goodness gracious me (they weren't the words I used at the time) it hurt like a mo-fo.

Is this normal? How long does it take to be completely pain free and you have the confidence to return to a full range of activities? Pretty keen for a surf and amping to get up the hill.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 12:04pm

Still bruised it seems, and sometimes the bone brusies as well and you may have hit that slightly.

When I was recovering and body-surfing, even just a slight movement away from the lateral forward back movement felt a little sore.

I'd go for a swim and see how it feels, but don't go shorey bashing just yet as it can knock it around and you also don't want to plant it on the sand the wrong way.

I also remember when even just walking out to the waves, the current of the water pushing side-ways against it made it feel weak and unstable. It's all about time, remember not to get back into eveything too early or you'll do it again.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 12:08pm

Cheers Craig.

Gonna wrap myself in cotton wool till you get here.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 12:21pm

I'd still try and go swimming, is there a local pool nearby?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 12:30pm

There is and I will.

Lots of snow too. Bit of a contrast to last year. Great season so far by all accounts, lot of wind though. You guys are definitely coming at the best time.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 2:33pm
zenagain wrote:

There is and I will.

Lots of snow too. Bit of a contrast to last year. Great season so far by all accounts, lot of wind though. You guys are definitely coming at the best time.

So I thought also until I read reports of ice down at the lower levels of Hakuba? We never experienced ice last year....not even close to those conditions. I thought the mega dumps of Dec would have ensured ice was not on the cards?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 3:28pm

The Japanese call it isu-bahn Don. When it's windy, because the powder is so light it blows it off the base creating patches. It's also exacerbated by bloody snowboarders not carving but scraping their turns:) Trips a lot of people up, that's why I like to keep my edges nice and sharp.

You'll be right Don. Little bit of ice here and there comes with the territory. Just watch out for the light blue stuff, then you know it's really hard.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 3:29pm

Head into the trees Don, not much ice to be found in there but plenty of face shots:)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 4:31pm
zenagain wrote:

Head into the trees Don, not much ice to be found in there but plenty of face shots:)

Be careful in those trees DW, they love little skinny chaps with big knee caps.
Trees for some reason know when you're wearing a knee brace as well, they jump out at ya, your board goes one way you go the other and the good ol tree makes love to your big ol knee cap. oooouccch.
Their friends the snow snakes are dangerous too, they snake out from under the fresh pow and bite ya opposite edge which your not on, and give your big knee cap, as a gift to the ol tree again.
Would not get me going in there. Seen it happen to a few folk.
Stay on the groomed ice runs and get that full railed edge a good ol fashion carving.
Hope you get one of 'Your' lows that slip over from Siberia and make your holiday a dousie;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 4:38pm

Welly, you don't like tree runs?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 5:07pm

No Zen don't like them, fucking love them;) especially in steeps, littered with 15-25 ft cliff bands and waist deep fluff.
They make your perception 110%. When you learn to look at the gap between the trees 20-30m ahead your board turns by itself without you thinking about it. That is when you are at 'ONE' with yourself, nature and your equipment.
You know I was kidding... Zen........DW....? :-P

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 5:14pm

Once again, the grasshopper has been humbled by the master.

I'm nearly there in the trees Welly, I'm thinking 4,5,6 turns ahead but then sometimes I enter that elusive realm of being at ONE in the deep.

That I love.

PS Not averse to going full tilt top to bottom on the groomers though:)

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 8:36pm

"Stay on the groomed ice runs and get that full railed edge a good ol fashion carving."

The old hard boots and asymetrical board still lurkin in the closet ay welly?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 10:06pm

Nah gave them, as a given, to someone in '95' before I ventured into the real trees in B.C.
Haha they served their purpose at TC busting thru mixed conditions of piste and on;)

I kind of kick myself sometimes not keeping every board I had to ride, probably around 70-80 and some old classics. oh well. I got given most of them, so I gave them to others as a given.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 10:44pm

Yeah you were like the flash zooming around T.C, half the time you were just a blur and a rooster tail.
How good was 95, compression fractured my spine following blainy off one of the summit rocks was a downer, but otherwise epic season.

I'm hearing ya re wishing to have kept old boards, Ive got one sick mint old burton cruiser with the slot fin under te house, just waiting to bust that out on the naki pimple on the right day.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 10 Jan 2015 at 3:06pm

Just a little interesting tid-bit to put Don at ease about the season here. I was reading in snowjapan this morning that Yuzawa (not too far from Hakuba) compared snowfall from the start of the season till January 10th, 2014 over the same period this season. So that's roughly 5 weeks we're into the season now with most main resorts usually opening around a week or so before Christmas.

Anyway, at this point in time 2013/14 season had 208cm of snow. For the same period this season 2014/15 there is 794cm, almost four times as much!

I looked at the charts again today and most places are reporting good falls overnight, moderate to heavy falls today and more on the way tomorrow.

Looking pretty good guys.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 10 Jan 2015 at 6:14pm

Have you glided on the "Never Summer" yet Zen...?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 10 Jan 2015 at 6:31pm

Two more weeks Welly and I reckon I'm there.

Can't stop staring at it though, knowing where it's going to take me in the future.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 11 Jan 2015 at 6:21am

Ouch..! Yeah I remember when you had waxed it already for take off.
"knowing where it's going to take me in the future." down and up, back down and up again, great journeys to be patient for ;)

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 11 Jan 2015 at 9:44am
zenagain wrote:

Just a little interesting tid-bit to put Don at ease about the season here. I was reading in snowjapan this morning that Yuzawa (not too far from Hakuba) compared snowfall from the start of the season till January 10th, 2014 over the same period this season. So that's roughly 5 weeks we're into the season now with most main resorts usually opening around a week or so before Christmas.

Anyway, at this point in time 2013/14 season had 208cm of snow. For the same period this season 2014/15 there is 794cm, almost four times as much!

I looked at the charts again today and most places are reporting good falls overnight, moderate to heavy falls today and more on the way tomorrow.

Looking pretty good guys.

Cheers Zen. Hopefully the dump continues. Looks like potentially some good dumps mid-late next week (22nd) also. Fingers crossed as that's when we're up the mountain.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 11 Jan 2015 at 11:08am

On the news this morning, runaway rider-less snowmobile takes out two skiers in Nagano, both in hospital one knocked unconscious the other with a broken hip.

And Aomori prefecture got 1 metre of snow in the 24 hours to now.

Yee hah!

Looking good Don.

(Sorry, get excited when I see those numbers).

Got a message last night, mate got half a metre of fresh on the Annapuri peak yesterday in Niseko. Said it was sublime.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 12 Jan 2015 at 2:05pm

Some decent dumps overnight again I see.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 12 Jan 2015 at 3:55pm

Long range forecasts have a couple of great storms firing up across Japan from this weekend onwards, bring it on!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 12 Jan 2015 at 6:07pm

Yep saw that....and again mid-late next week. When are you there Craig?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 13 Jan 2015 at 10:14am

Up Hokkaido from the 21st to 29th and then down the Fukushima region with Zen from the 31st to 4th or so. Cannot wait!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 14 Jan 2015 at 2:49pm

Current forecasts look to have very warm temps and no snow for the Aussie Day weekend, courtesy of a very big feck off high!!! Might be a good weekend to ski nude wrapped in the Aussie flag!!!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 14 Jan 2015 at 4:05pm

Don, how do you get these forecasts so far out?

I wouldn't start panicking yet. Your're going to Hakuba right?

Happpo One, Hakuba Goryu pretty high elevation so unlikely to get rain. Also, you\'re not too far from Shiga Kogen which is even higher. You'll be right. Lets see how it pans out.

I'm hoping Fukushima will deliver for Craig (and me) at the end of the month because last time, we missed it by a couple of days and got into a warm spell. Still quite fun on the hill but we only got a light dusting.

Remember, a crappy day here eclipses most of what Oz has to offer.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 14 Jan 2015 at 10:05pm

Zen I just look at the weather charts/models. It's not rocket science what creates snow for Japan and what creates warmer temps and sunny skies.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 16 Jan 2015 at 6:50am

Hmmmm the forecast isn't looking great for next week and into the Aussie day weekend. Zen can ya work ya magic for some pow please!!!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 16 Jan 2015 at 10:10am

Maybe the snow gods have run out of puff Don considering some places have seen 3-4 times the amount of snow compared to previous years? Hakuba and Nozawa I see got about 20cm in the last 24 hours. Weekend looking good too.

The forecast as far as I can see is for a kind of day on day off type scenario. Overnight top-ups (10cm or so) and snow flurries during the days.

A lot of places still make snow overnight and if you're up early and at the lift you'll get fresh lines on the groomers then go have an early lunch and sneak into the trees to to sniff out some of the untouched. That's what I usually do in these situations.

Also, as I said before, go higher- Goryu, Happo One (hah-po oh-ne not happo 1) or jump on a shuttle and head over to Shiga Kogen. If you're mobile even head up to Myoko, Madarao, Yuzawa.

I'll keep my fingers crossed mate:)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 16 Jan 2015 at 2:48pm

Fuck lunch, fuck the freshies on the groomers.
Straight in the trees, way deeper ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 16 Jan 2015 at 3:08pm

My good mate in Burlington VT, east USA yesterday.
Report in the morning 1' of snow, minus 25 degrees, bluebird, open birch trees, nice and mellow but great snow IMO. Imagine scooting down the groomers with 2 cms of dust on hard groomed in minus 25.
Nah no thanks

Would rather be in here, getting the goods with no-one around except your buddy.

The next day when people had realised. Some tracks now but still good.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 6:58pm

I don't mind a full tilt blast down the groomers Welly. In fact, on a long run 3000m+ I like to see how fast I get from the top to the bottom.

If you've got 5 mins to spare, check this out. Not boarding but great POV skiing.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 7:18pm

Saw that yesty Zen, absolutely crazy, how's that wormhole as well!!

Looking good for when I arrive, getting pretty excited!

Hope the knees starting to feel better.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 7:42pm

Going to hit it out next Sunday for a tentative start. Just going to cruise and see how I go. Almost tempted to go for a paddle today but held back.

Feeling pretty good though, should be right.

Fingers crossed for the powder now.

Looking forward to seeing you:)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 1:22am

On the late news tonight, 4 dead in two days. 2 Japanese and 2 Argentinians, jumping ropes heading out of bounds and taken out by avalanche.

My Japanese isn't too flash and I didn't have my wife to translate, but the second Japanese guy went missing yesterday and found today and the two foreigners got caught in a 200 metre avalanche and were pulled out dead this arvo. Yesterdays was in Niigata Myoko and todays was Nagano but I couldn't catch the ski area.

Don't jump ropes people.

RIP fellas.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 10:23am

Further to the news last night, there apparently was an Aussie with the two Argentinians, he managed to survive and walked down the hill to safety. I'm finding it hard to get details as there's nothing online, only on tv so far.

Was at Ryuoo ski park Nagano.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 10:40am

From snowjapan this morning regarding the two guys dead at Myoko:-

I have to add it was a really sad day here: the husband of a friend was the man killed in Arai on an open mountain course; the second death yesterday was of someone passing through the sidecountry within Akakan, but crossing above a terrain trap—a deep valley where it only takes a little slide to bury a person quite deeply in the snow (and he was down more than two meters). There's a new movement in North America to reduce accidents close to ski areas by posting signs saying, "The Backcountry Starts Here." People think that by being close to the ski area they are somehow safer, so they don't use avalanche beacons or carry shovels, probes, water, food or even a backpack. It was by sheer luck (and good experience, too) that the victim in Akakura was even found by probing, as he was alone without a beacon. If you are going anywhere off the piste, you have to think more carefully than in the resort—100 meters or two kilometers away, it's still natural snow and terrain with all the risks involved (and the fun, too, if you're prepared).

I'll try and find more on the Nagano pair.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 11:05am

Thanks for the update Zen, too true about the dangers being right there as soon as you cross the boundary line, either 100m from the resort or kilometres away.

away's picture
away's picture
away Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 11:17pm

These sad incidents really make you think. I ducked a couple of ropes for some cheeky sidepiste at the same resort, Akakura Kankou, when I was there a few years back.

On a brighter note, check this vid out for some (mostly) on piste shredding.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 20 Jan 2015 at 12:34am

Away san, posted same link above- must be doing the rounds. Pretty mind blowing 'eh?

Going to try and head out this weekend but not much forecast for Fukushima.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 4:16am

Heading to Japan in mid-Feb. Going to Kiroro, Niseko and probably a day trip to Rusutsu... With a couple days in Tokyo at the end..

I am arriving a bit earlier than the people i am staying with though. Any tips on what to do with 3 extra days?
I was thinking of spending more time in Tokyo but was leaning towards heading up to Hokkaido earlier. I might be able to to get two days somewhere.. Any advice on where to go?
Asahidake sounds pretty good from what Ive read but is a bit further away from where i need to meet people in Sapporo and pretty quiet for someone going solo. My other thought was places closer to Sapporo like Sapporo Teine or Tommamu... as they sound pretty good and alot closer to Sapporo.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 9:21am

From Tokyo, depending upon how cashed up you are, you can do a day trip or overnighter to Yuzawa in Niigata where they have been getting phenomenal amounts of snow this season and the town is a very authentic Japanese onsen town which tends to be missing in Niseko. The Shinkansen leaves from Tokyo station and takes about 2 hrs.

Or you can jump on one of the overnighter busses leaving from Shinjuku and head up to any number of resorts in the Hokuriku/Tohoku areas. These are really good value as they include the lift ticket price, transport and usually a discount on lunch. Sometimes they get to the resort horribly early or a couple of hours after opening and usually leave around 4pm getting back quite late. But it's a good cheap way to get a days skiing/boarding in, meet people (quite a lot of chicks go on these) and see a bit of Japan from ground level. Less than 10,000 yen ($100) for the day all up.

If you're in Tokyo, check out the Kanda area (on the Yamanote train line, almost impossible to get lost) as there's heaps of ski shops and you can pick up some good stuff. You'll save a lot of money compared to Australia. Don't be afraid to haggle for a better deal on big ticket stuff, just do it in a friendly manner. Haggling is not customary in Japan but a smile and a bit of cheekiness goes a long way.

You're hitting Hokkaido at the perfect time, I dare say you'll be up to your nuts in sweet fluffy paowder.

Yew!

PS if you want to meet girls, go for a night out in Roppongi where there are lots of Japanese girls wanting to meet foreign men and also practice their English, just bear in mind there's lots of meat heads that go there with the same thing in mind.

Also, try and learn a bit of Japanese language basics, it's very appreciated.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 9:34am

Sorry, re-read your post- Tokyo at the end of your stay, whoops!

The places you mentioned are worth it and close to where you'll be. Asahidake is a long way away and not really a day trip place. Also, much better there with a guide.

You may like to to check out Otaru Tenguyama, it's not a big place but I believe it's quite a bit steeper than most Hokkaido resorts or check out Sapporro Kokusai where you can get a cheap day bus including ticket and you can picked up from the front of your hotel.