Anybody been to the Cocos Keeling Islands?

geoff.baun's picture
geoff.baun started the topic in Tuesday, 13 Jul 2021 at 4:10pm

Hey there,

Im looking at potentially doing a trip out to the Cocos Keeling Islands? Ideally go for about 10 days. I see the main wave is called the Shack and looks offshore in the trades.

Interested to know if anybody has been out there? Recommendations on places to stay. Do you need a car or is a bike ok? (West Island looks pretty small).

Do you have to take food or can you just get by with the few local restaurants etc.

Thx

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 30 Jul 2021 at 11:18pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 6:51am

Go check it out. Crazy necklace of islands in the middle of no where. Incredible fishing and diving if you’re not surfing. Plenty of sealife. Extremely beautiful spot.

Hand feeding baby sharks. This isn’t some spot where the fish are trained to do this. There’s so many baby sharks kicking around that you can gain their trust in a few minutes.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 2 Aug 2021 at 3:59pm

A friend who is in the RAF says that both Cocos and Christmas Is have good waves .

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 2 Aug 2021 at 4:06pm

Think tracks or some mag covered Jim Banks when he went there .

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 2 Aug 2021 at 4:13pm

Udo's clip was pretty sick, had a real MOTE feel to it - the first Ulus surfing scene with Rusty and Cooney. Nice hand feeding of sharks Blowin.

It's something I've considered, from WA, to go tropical but not go to Indo as such.

I thought Christmas was rocky on all sides?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 3 Aug 2021 at 9:41pm

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 4 Aug 2021 at 8:34pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

I thought Christmas was rocky on all sides?

Yeah on google earth it doesnt appear to show any surfable coastline but if there are waves they are probably kept hush hush.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Thursday, 12 Aug 2021 at 9:15pm

Checked with my friend in the RAF and he said Christmas Island has no surf and as stated above is surrounded by cliffs . He sent me a photo of a great left on Cocos taken from an RAF plane . I think he said it was near the airport . Looks like a wide lake empties into the ocean via a thin outlet at the end of the wave . Looks like it breaks for approx 150 meters . He also said that there are a lot of atolls close by which looked like they had the right shape but never saw them breaking .

desoutc's picture
desoutc's picture
desoutc Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 6:19pm

Saw a travel story on the Cocos recently in the Australian recently, it had plenty of info on accommodation etc. Sounded pricey.

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:13pm

Hey isn't it the RAAF?
Unless we're British

Oceania House's picture
Oceania House's picture
Oceania House Sunday, 5 Feb 2023 at 8:37am

Surfing is pretty good on the Cocos Keeling Islands.
Check out this clip from a travel show.

https://www.destinationwa.tv/story.php?country=0&id=421

For an amazing trip full of history, culture and amazing beautiful beaches and dive sites visit our beautiful islands.

https://oceaniahouse.au

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 5 Feb 2023 at 12:39pm

Haha love it, Destination WA but don't tell anyone....

Thomo6's picture
Thomo6's picture
Thomo6 Tuesday, 5 Sep 2023 at 11:22am
udo wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-02/cocos-islands-fearful-changes-def...

Australia antagonising our biggest trading partner and endangering our safety to please American warmongers. Nothings changed in 150 years - Still cannon fodder for a colonial master.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 5 Sep 2023 at 12:50pm

DOD don't need no EPA assessment or approval