Hand me downs

Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga started the topic in Tuesday, 11 Aug 2020 at 7:25pm

I just replied in another post and mentioned handing down surf boards to grommets

I wonder if it happens any more now old boards often sell for more than my car...

It was something that seemed to happen when I was growing up and I did it often out of convenience to off load old surfboards

Some of the hand me downs were

weasel 6'4" sunrise,
Three gravelles 6'6", 6'8", 7'6"
collin ladhams 5'10"
don allcroft 7'10"
6'3" burford warrior
Peter Duffy 6'6" and 7' seahorse surfboards
Wayne dale 6'2"
Andy Inkster 5'9"
Kim Thompson 6' water cooled
Mint condition 10 or 11' triple stringer Dewey Webber the old man bought it for me when I was 13 couldn't lift it onto the roof of the old FB to get it to the beach
Dicky ford 6'2" and 6' Phil myers I left to the kids at vido village a sand bottom left

I'm certain there was a few more but memory evades me.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Friday, 21 Aug 2020 at 9:03pm

Yes I would do the same, Usually I leave them in Indo, but not practical ATM

Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga Wednesday, 2 Sep 2020 at 5:49pm

Classic hand me down right at the end of this crews adventure through the Makran coast

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 2 Sep 2020 at 5:58pm

I can't list all the boards but I've given away heaps of boards. Mostly to kids with crappy first boards, once mine are pretty beat up but still look ok I'll just hand them over to a grom. Been doing that for years. Probs only ever sold a couple, most I've given away.

Edit: The last four boards I've given away were a 6'0" JC, a 6'4" Channel Islands, a 6'2" Firewire and a 6'2" Simon Anderson. All to stoked kids.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 2 Sep 2020 at 6:17pm

Ive given a few away too kids in Indo, i have mixed feelings about it though.

I wont name the resort but i know of one resort in Sumatra that actually buys given boards off the kids just to stop the locals from getting into surfing.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 2 Sep 2020 at 9:52pm

Gave a 6'0 shorty to this little kid - about twelve years old, maybe 5 foot tall - who was skating out the front of my house. She was carving about on her skateboard, and I said "hey dude do you like surfing, it's just like what you're doing on the skateboard." and she started frothing out hard saying she sometimes goes surfing with her dad. Thought I would be a real local elder legend and pass on my beaten up board for her to keep learning on.

Ended up seeing her out not long after on a really good day, absolutely shredding on a tiny tiny board. Turns out she is one of those full grommet superstar kids and surfs twice as good as me. Fairly sure the board I gave her went straight under the house never to be seen again haha.

surfstarved's picture
surfstarved's picture
surfstarved Thursday, 3 Sep 2020 at 12:16pm

I picked up a cheapo 2nd-hander in Spain when we were there a few years ago. Rode it across the north coast to Hossegor, where we parked up for the Quik Pro. When it was all done and dusted we were heading up into the Pyrenees, so I left the board out the front of our Airbnb with a sign in bad French saying "free to a good home" (at least, that's what I intended it to say). It was gone by the time we'd packed our suitcases. I hope someone got some good use out of it.

Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 1:11pm

All great examples of sharing the stoke in our ever increasing materialistic world

"The excellence of a gift lies in its appropriateness rather than in its
value."
Charles Dudley Warner