Silver Linings

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 9:24am

We are all going to die !!!!!

Sooner or later . Irrespective of some overachieving virus.

In the meantime, Life goes on. Some things will get appreciably better with the twists and turns in store for our collective futures.

I’m thinking ....

Cleaner air.

Less fishing pressure.....more fish . Healthier oceans.

Being able to rock up to Insta famous locations and not having to watch the utmost depths of vanity being plumbed before you by the vacuously photogenic .

Uncrowded surf.

Cheap boats.

Less plastic.

Locally grown food.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 9:25am

Twice in two days....

campbell's picture
campbell's picture
campbell Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 9:36am

Australia will have to start manufacturing and less 457 visa s as Aussies will now need to work iin real jobs like farming again as being an"influencer" will become a thing of the past

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:02pm

instagram influencers finding their true worth in this new world will bring much bittersweet joy...

as will manufacturing slowly returning, and oz getting some semblance of it's independence again

the government has totally underestimated this, everything they've done is about preserving a failing system. from the beginning until now, chinese students, borders, propping up qantas for a few months in a 12 month minimum downturn are fine examples of still being in the realms of denial. as are their other business initiatives so far

they're talking about a 'wartime response', how about you get on with making one actually happen?

getting people the resources they actually need, and making some of the stuff that is already in short supply in hospitals

oz is uniquely placed to be a major part of the recovery, ....if we can get our shit together...

which means getting a lot smarter about the front line. there's been too many mammoth fuck ups to even bother listing them anymore...

but one thing should be very obvious to all by now, and that is the difference between how outbreaks have been dealt with. the difference between action plans of countries (or lack of...)

we'll never go full japan or shanghai, we're incapable, it's just not in us

but please please just don't go full italy!!

never go full italy!

get smarter people, you're government is failing miserably

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=195374658555718&refid=12

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 11:46am

listening to parliment question time now, ...by accident, I honestly can't believe what I'm hearing. platitudes, sep 11 stories, and vows of cooperation while taking subtle swipes

they've literally perfected social distancing...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 11:47am

fucking get on with it!!

the nuts and bolts of it...

campbell's picture
campbell's picture
campbell Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 11:52am

or join the armed forces? Once China show their cards about the true grand plan, Give the world something to really worry about and then knockout blow with invasions to "protect" their overseas assets.. Chinese battleship mapping Australian submarine routes to the NW of Aus only weeks ago. Conspiracy theory? Hopefully. Trust China about anything? Never again.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:19pm

Call me a conspiricist (is that a word) but somehow it just keeps gnawing away at me that this whole Chinese flu was no accident.

While the rest of the world is reeling China is crowing about how they've controlled the virus and now is ramping up production again to provide us with everything we 'need'.

Not withstanding within this time the focus has been taken off HK's push for democracy, human rights attrocities towards ethnic and religious minorities, neferious backdoor shenanigans regarding their belt and road initiative and their incursion into the South Chinese sea, Antartica and the Eastern Indian ocean and of course their trade war with the USA. None of this has been put on hold, in fact I reckon this virus is a smoke screen for the above.

Seriously, how can any country let alone a 'developing' country set up a few 20,000 bed hospitals in a matter of days. Nobody can convince me there was no pre-planning or forwarning involved. The sheer logistics defy belief, let alone having the resources and manpower available to do this. Frontline staff alone would require a minimum of 50 doctors and around 200 nurses and hundreds of ancillary staff per hospital per shift. Double that figure for one day of operation. Now they supposedly don't need the hospitals and they're breaking them down again. Come on. How can this be believed?

China, like others, faced with an ageing population. This strain of virus appears to be very selective. Maybe this is a pre-curser to solving what is inevitably a major headache in Chinas grand strategic plan for the future?

Rambling here, but i for one would welcome a return to relative self-sufficiency for Australia and less reliance on our Chinese overlords. As you know, i live in Asia and am married to one but i tell you, when i go back home, i'm amazed at just how Asian Australia has become. Maybe not in the country but in the big cities- for sure.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:27pm

trying not to go there zen, but....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:38pm

I shouldn't go there. It demeans me.

Sorry.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:34pm

this guys all over it

https://m.facebook.com/mahmoud.elawadi.9?ref=bookmarks

he had fb live vid, but can't find it

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:41pm

they're buying up everything on a deflating market... scary ...not just economics scary...

try find the dude above's fb live vid. he's all over it

....from a bankers perspective...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:41pm

Anyway Syppy, i'm hearing ya but it's not really in my character to openly go down that path.

I have my thoughts and sometimes they're best kept to myself.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:41pm

don't sell!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:43pm

governments are heading UBI anyway

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:44pm

yep yep

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:46pm

awwww zenman I was happy u went there

someone was always going to...

too soon?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:50pm

you normally don't mind a bit of 'too soon'

haha

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 3:39pm

No Gretta haven't heard from that little annoying bitch for weeks.

Extortion rebellion, no more of their bullshit pranks pissing people off.

The far lefts dream of open border's will hopefully never be mentioned ever again.

Charter boats, hopefully some go bust, way to many of them now and they are like blood sucking leaches, crowding line ups and giving nothing to the locals or their economy.

Overall this whole thing sucks big time, but at least it's a real issue, not like all the other BS trivial crap that clogs up media and politics like identity politics etc.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 2:01pm

But we keep hearing from that little annoying dick indo-dreaming.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 2:01pm

Everyone I speak to is livid about a lack of a manufacturing industry in this country, a lack of overall self-sufficiency.

I hope they take this feeling to the next elections.

Political parties should take note, there’s huge political mileage in this if approached from the right angle.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 2:37pm

Much less people at the beach.....very pleasant

strawbs's picture
strawbs's picture
strawbs Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 3:29pm

Around that time that song came out, i was entrusted a key with NO COPIES engraved on, it gave me access to a beautiful bay with a point break and bombie setup , i remember taking my girlfriend there with no one else around for miles , that song always takes me back to that time and place , of hot summers , first love , surfing by myself and being with her on a deserted beach , she said to me one time that was our song , my dreamtime , good to have a reminder of that time Blowin .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 3:38pm

"But we keep hearing from that little annoying dick indo-dreaming"

Ok i found a Gretta fan boy

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 3:48pm

It reminds me of the time a chick I was seeing got overwhelmed with passion at Uluwatu beach rock pools and begged me to take care of business.

Insertion was accomplished but the party was soon interrupted by empty water bottles raining down on us amongst shouted Indonesian voices .

There wasn’t anyone on the beach but obviously there was plenty of crew on the cliffs.

Still fun!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 3:54pm

"Chinese battleship mapping Australian submarine routes to the NW of Aus only weeks ago. Conspiracy theory?"

Conspiracy theory in semiotics at least, the last commissioned working battleships were the American Iowa class, decommissioned in the 2000s. I have a beautiful pic I took as a teenager, bow quarter view of USS Missouri in Fremantle harbour from 1991. No more battleships now, though the intrusions on the sea lanes and northern approaches are probably going on.

& also, do not be too worried, the further you are from home the longer the supply lines the more your enemy can fcuk with them unless you control the sea and can also swat subs; the further from home the more you have to do with fewer assets, the more likely you are to be smashed to bits - as Admiral Yamamoto discovered at Midway.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 3:55pm

Sequel

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 3:57pm

Usually at Easter there’d be shed loads of kangaroos bowled over by cars around here.

Maybe not this year.

Good news !

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 4:02pm

In silver lining news, I can manufacture stuff and am building up capacity as this goes on, upgrading tech too.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 4:10pm

I’m not too bright but I can still lift heavy things.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 4:17pm

That's good stuff Andy, keep your back in good shape. I was a hopeless deckie with those 55kg pots, they made me handline for samson fish with bare hands, for their enjoyment

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 4:21pm

More silver linings, Mum was supposed to have recently left on a cruise - Perth, Singapore area, India, ME & Suez, Israel, Greece, Italy, S France, Spain, arriving in London. Advised her it probably wasn't the time to do it, do it when its safer... looking at the number of infected on the Magnifica Cruise ship that left Jan 4 Italy, I'm so glad I advised her to wait...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 4:22pm

Same here with the Samson fish , VJ .

Then I’d have to clean them as the boat rolled its way through decent seas back to Augusta.....dodgy but fun !

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 4:31pm

Not necessarily a fan boy of Greta ID. More like calling you out for your mysogynistic description of her.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 5:06pm

we used to put donkeys in the slurry and if we filled up with snapper they went overboard.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 6:19pm

"Not necessarily a fan boy of Greta ID. More like calling you out for your mysogynistic description of her."

Oh FFS 2020 sucks

Bitch is perfect description of her she is like an annoying little yappy dog,

The funny thing is, if i was a women it would be totally cool for me to call her a bitch, and if i called some guy a cunt there would be no issue or you can call me a dick, no issue, its just all BS

Has nothing too do with her being a female, if she was a 16 year old annoying boy, she would be just as annoying.

Anyway lets talk about the virus because this is the kind of pointless crap im sick to death of talking about.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 6:20pm

Rex Patrick has coronavirus. If you pray, pray if you don’t, start. This guy is about all we’ve got to keep the fuckers in government honest

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 6:59pm

Zen I didn't think the Japanese saw themselves as Asian just that they were Japanese is that not the case?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 8:08pm

Ha, good point- begrudgingly Asian with a caveat. My wife just said (straight from the horses mouth) yes Asian but very different to Chinese or Korean.

That's the funny thing about Asians- they actually all hate each other.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 8:13pm

That's hardcore Blowin, bigger seas down that way too. I learned that good handline fisherman put the band-aid on the fingers before catching the sambo, not after.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 8:18pm

Have always considered Japan in a similar position to the UK - smaller island nation, sea power, survive by seaborne trade. And yes, they see themselves as different. When you look at Japanese history after Meiji restoration, their industrialising and making themselves a world power is remarkable. The hatreds, well Europe has similar in its history and reading history of tribes in Africa, similar. etc etc

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 8:31pm

"Ha, good point- begrudgingly Asian with a caveat. My wife just said (straight from the horses mouth) yes Asian but very different to Chinese or Korean.

That's the funny thing about Asians- they actually all hate each other."

I remember when i was young and worked at this restaurant as a waiter we would get big buses of Asian tourist in, back then like many westerners i couldn't tell the difference between Asian races in looks.

But after they had left i always knew the difference, the Chinese left a huge mess, crap everywhere the Japanese were the opposite super clean.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 9:06pm

Fair enough ID, I get your point.
However, an adult male [which I presume you are] calling a teenage girl a little bitch, to my mind smacks of patriarchy and misogyny. 2020 may suck but that is something I learnt from my mother[RIP] in the 70's

PS. Have you had the urge to feel up any Moslem ladies at the market lately.

PPS. The virus isn't going to make climate change go away.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 23 Mar 2020 at 9:15pm

You forgot creepy too, Mattlock.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020 at 5:36am

Yes !

“Many students and overseas visitors who are enrolled are fleeing Australia while they can, fearing that flights will be cancelled and travel will become more difficult if they wait much longer.

And because Australia’s borders are closed and international travel has frozen, there is no hope on the horizon for new enrolments into the English language teaching sector, which usually earns $2.4bn a year in export revenue and employs nearly 10,000 people.

Ian Pratt, the managing director of Lexis English, which has six centres in Australia and employs 330 people, said his business had suffered “massive cancellations”…. he said the private part of the ­English tuition sector was facing extinction in a matter of weeks.

“Industry-wide, I’m hearing people saying two weeks, I’m hearing people say six weeks,” he said…

The industry faced the prospect of having no English schools left by the end of the year, “if not mid-year”,

Phil Honeywood, chief executive of the International Education Association of Australia, said the health of the English tuition sector was the “canary in the coalmine” for the whole of the $40bn education export industry, because so many international students arriving for tertiary study started with an English course.“

channel-bottom's picture
channel-bottom's picture
channel-bottom Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020 at 6:12am

Blowin, why do you start that statement with Yes!

A problem with the education sector as well?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020 at 6:30am

It is not a net benefit for Australia to accomodate almost 1,000,000 international “ students “ and it never was.

The sooner this rent seeking industry falls to pieces the better. Leveraging Australia’s social and physical infrastructure into private profits whilst overwhelming our environment and cities....get fucked !

If it’s the quality of the education that’s the real value then the universities can provide it online or deliver it from overseas facilities. Of course that was never the case. It’s tertiary education acting as migration agents , selling permanent residency and work rights ....not diplomas and degrees.

If people genuinely care about the environment then they will realise that having a million less people impacting on our country is a great thing and the benefits of that are worth more than a few dollars.

If there’s one good thing which could come from this threat it’s the reassessment of the values we hold important.

Nothing is more important than healthy people and healthy environment.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020 at 6:32am

Silver lining.....No more parading the Skills shortages bullshit.

15 percent unemployment....let’s see the excuses for refusing to train people and employ locals now.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020 at 6:45am

Ironic how governments have allowed and even encouraged aust industry to move overseas to 'help' the country trying to keep costs down etc but at the costs of jobs in this country but its now costing them so much more.....

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020 at 7:59am

“If there’s one good thing which could come from this threat it’s the reassessment of the values we hold important.”

That depends on who is assessing and what values they deem important.

I would guarantee that there are fund managers and private consortiums working out what is on the chopping block as this unfolds. I have already read one pundit claim that the foreign ownership rules for Qantas should be relaxed. Privatised visa system will be back on the agenda and on it goes

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020 at 8:36am

Privatised visa system got knocked on the head last week.

May it stay dead !