Surfing bottleneck

boostsurfer's picture
boostsurfer started the topic in Monday, 21 Oct 2019 at 9:35pm

Old arm injury won't let me catch the wave worthy of a Triple Crown. Like most of us, I can't practice 24/7, but still enjoy it. Each successful take-off feels like a big win for me as an amateur. My average surf session is only 1 hour and every time I'm getting exhausted from paddling. It really keeps me away from catching more waves and making a progress. Warm up/stretching doesn't really help to avoid fatigue the next day. So is there a solution for me? Any life hacks, techniques or tools which allow to surf longer/improve endurance (like a pull up assitance band).
"If you can’t paddle, don’t surf". Hardcore! Totally love watching those ripped dudes that paddle for miles and still have lots of energy stored for rad flips. But what about the rest of us? The weak with flabby stomachs? The old with noodle arms? The injured adrenaline junkies?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 7:14am

"Totally love watching those ripped dudes that paddle for miles and still have lots of energy stored for rad flips. But what about the rest of us? The weak with flabby stomachs? The old with noodle arms?"

Take up a sport that's less taxing on your noodle arms?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 7:16am

Which after killing one bird will have the desirous outcome that you also stop spamming our forums with your ridiculous fin propellor thing.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 8:39am

"Totally love watching those ripped dudes that paddle for miles and still have lots of energy stored for rad flips. But what about the rest of us? The weak with flabby stomachs? The old with noodle arms?"

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 9:11am

Ahh GS, coming through with the goods!

boostsurfer's picture
boostsurfer's picture
boostsurfer Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 5:49pm

Giving up surfing isn't an option. Could you suggest anything besides that? Is there a substitute for time in the water? Some guys suggest lifting while others say it's totally useless and go with swimming so I'm confused. What's your training routine?
As to "spamming", you could at least try to provide any objective criticism. I get your dignity point, but you're saying that anyone who struggles shouldn't surf despite the health condition.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 5:52pm

Every single surfer once struggled as a kook before they acquired skill and improved. Your holy abomination of an invention is only going to keep them in kookdom.

It's a dumb idea.

That's my objective criticism.

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 6:09pm

Stu's right. There are no short cuts. Put in the time and effort without complaint or go bird watching.

scottishsponger's picture
scottishsponger's picture
scottishsponger Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 6:27pm

There’s no bottleneck. Time out of the water should be spent swimming, doing press ups and squats to improve your surf fitness. Stop looking for shortcuts. The guys who rip and have heaps of energy have devoted their life to the art of surfing and many have made huge sacrifices to do it. The last thing we want is office jockeys who work 60+ hours a week turning up at breaks on the weekend and burning around on their motorised boards. They might be able to “paddle” faster, but they’re still going to surf like shit. Please don’t encourage these people.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 6:33pm

I think it's hilarious and preposterous.

I can't imagine the board will turn properly with that tumour hanging off the back of the fins, and if people are going to paddle out thinking that they'll "Catch 3x More Waves", well I'll just be settling in with my popcorn.

It'll be like a Go Pro mouth mount, a license to drop in.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 6:53pm

Gotta laugh at the install vid on insta...farkn fin is huge..
then there's the the surfing...legrope on the front foot...

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 6:58pm

'tumour hanging off the back of the fins'..........well described AndyM.........

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 7:37pm

It's comedy gold, I mean, look at the thing!

Anyway, maybe the joke's on us, they've stirred up some free publicity.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 7:42pm

Ideal training methods those needing a fitness boost ..... https://www.instagram.com/gym.fuckery/?hl=en

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 7:45pm

G.S. I suspect a lot of those are in Byron ;)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 28 Oct 2019 at 8:58pm

"Totally love watching those ripped dudes"

lololo you have to be very careful about suggestive phrasing here on Swellnet, we have afficionados to police that kind of thing

"So is there a solution for me? Any life hacks, techniques or tools which allow to surf longer/improve endurance (like a pull up assitance band)."

You seek Uplift.

More seriously, yes, the dedication to healing your arm injury - is it possible? If you can, that is a good thing. It might be time to mention the legendary designer Bob Simmons, who had such a great influence on surfing, while surfing with only one good arm. Single to double concaves in what, the 1940s?