Aussie novelty waves...

gdh's picture
gdh started the topic in Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 8:58am

The great lakes vid got me thinking, whats the weirdest place you've surfed in Aus? Now you don't have to get specific, many spots are in the midst of population centres but personally I've been surprised with fun waves right up the Spencer gulf on the West side and Far North QLD. Mostly wind swells but if you find the right corner or rocky outcrop there's a wedge or two to be found. I've heard older rumours of blokes surfing lake Eyre in the great flood back in the 70s...now that would be something else. I think there was a report years ago into the arguments for filling part of the Eyre basin via a channel from the Spencer gulf....

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 12:34pm

Wow Lake Eyre, that's mental.

Probably the weirdest was with Stu during a huge easterly storm swell. Well inland up a river and down the bottom of a leach filled walk through the bush. Probably has only broken 1/2 times since. Not another soul out until a goatboater rounded the corner and proceeded to snake and drop in on us! WTF

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 12:39pm

Craig , Surely those pictures you post of hollow waves at Manly rate as a novelty ?

Come on , mate . you know that’s funny....and appropriate.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 12:44pm

Hahaha.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 12:47pm

My old man tells a story of surfing a pointbreak-style wave in an inlet next to a well-known golf course decades ago. Cyclone swell. Apparently it was a great session - 4-6ft with no-one else out - until he noticed a couple of sea snakes swimming around...

I'm not sure if it's ever breaked since then, and I've never heard of anyone else ever surfing it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 12:55pm

Surfed plenty of waves in the North of WA during cyclones that could be considered novelty waves. Some are popular and well known . Some are not so well known but still good quality waves.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 12:57pm

Also surfed microwaves from the wake of massive ships along sandbars in the North West on an old sailboard Hull. The Fin used to plough along the bottom it was that big and the water was so shallow.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 2:12pm

I once had a surf about a dozen or so miles north of 1770. You wouldn't go there just for a wave but it was an interesting addition to the trip.

Not sure if it counts but also done some bodysurfing on the inside of the Swain Reefs as a distraction to picking up trochus shells.
Christ that's beautiful around there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 2:29pm

I've surfed the bank just off from the fish co-op at Forster. That's about a km up the lake from the wall.

The old boy used to ride Bay Surf at Port Hacking in an old homemade surf kayak, and he swears he's caught waves right up near Lilli Pilli on big swells and high tide. Think the sand deposists were a bit diffrent then.

As Craig said, there was the wave up the river we surfed. 

This sub-Antarctic secret spot we ran on Swellnet a few years back would be nice to score. I doubt it's ever been surfed.

Little known fact is that Australia has tidal bores like the River Severn, though they break in croc-infested country.

Here's a couple of froot loops dodging crocs and a cyclone for a knee-high wave on the Styx.

And here's the one on the Daly River. Looks unreal around the 30sec mark, but crocodiles.

Lastly, let's see Dylan Graves take on this fucker in the Kimberley. The speck at the 20sec mark is a 40ft boat struggling against the flow.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 2:41pm

This was during an ECL so as you can tell the water was disgusting and shark AF..

Old mate..

Meanwhile in Manly (excuse the watermark)..

PS that last vid is nutty Stu!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 4:12pm

Surfed the point below Parrawi Rd on the southern side of The Spit in cyclone Colin running most of the way to the bridge. There would be mayhem there if we had a similar swell today.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 4:18pm

Oh and watched a few groms (young and not so young) surf Dee Why rock pool a couple of years ago.

P'tai's picture
P'tai's picture
P'tai commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 4:57pm

@stunet my mates and I used to surf the Bay break in the hacking regularly through the mid seventies to early eighties. Used to paddle across from Dolls Polint. Somtime used to get the ferry across to Bundeena and walk down to the boat ramp and paddle from there. Some crazy paddles back across when the tide was on the way out. Once got swept from adjacent to inlet of Yowie bay out side and eventually paddle in at Oak Park!! Long walk home that day. ha ha well worth it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 6:00pm

Lived on Tassies North west Coast for a few years as a grommet.

The coast rarely gets ocean produced ground swells mostly just short period wind swell or left over wind swell, the whole coast is basically a novelty wave.

Devonport river mouth would be one of the more well known novelty type spots breaking down the inside of a river mouth like the old left in the Gold Coast spit but mellower and much longer.

Few other waves where you surf over or end up on concrete boat ramps.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 7:27pm

there's a really nice river in NSW where you can surf right up river for a while.

crystal Clear water with dolphins and turtles.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno commented Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 7:34pm

North coast of Tassie too, as per the thread. Had very few expectations and a solid work schedule to get through over winter. Lots of really good volcanic rock outcrops flat day after day - until they are not. And then it's on with great tidal variation. Luckily, got a pointbreak at head and a half, and this pretty solid beachy literally breaking right in front of houses, which was a spectacle, the white water zone pretty much ended in someones yard.

Body surfed tiny barrels, most perfect I have ever seen, at a rivermouth east of Portland one day. Incredibly epic shape.

Heard of people surfing the ferry wake at Pt Walter sand bar back on the swan river when summer flat spells on. I'd also say southern ocean near WA/SA border too, novelty as very few would surf it or be comfortable out there for long periods of time? No shortage of waves or adventure.

Those river/inlet setups sound pretty fun. That a goatboat joined you and then burned you was funny as!