Mentawais Surf Charter Recommendations

Fyfedigity's picture
Fyfedigity started the topic in Wednesday, 5 Apr 2017 at 2:40pm

Hey guys, sorry if this topic has been posted previously! After avoiding charter boats for more than 10 years, I am thinking about organising one for the Ments next year. I usually stay at land camps, twice at Pitstops in the Northern Ments and also once at Telo Island resort a bit further up. I'd like to get down to Macaronis and HT's but like the variety of the Northern Ments so wondering if a boat trip might give the ability to get around the the southern, middle and northern regions in one hit. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for this land little lover? Cheers!

Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83 Thursday, 6 Apr 2017 at 7:37am

Im off to Pitstops in 3 weeks, and been there a few times before. Why you would want to go anywhere else after being there puzzles me unless its purely the lure of wanting to surf specific waves elsewhere. The thought of being stuck on a boat with ppl i didnt get along with terrifies me....

Fyfedigity's picture
Fyfedigity's picture
Fyfedigity Thursday, 6 Apr 2017 at 1:17pm

Yeah me too, hence my reluctance for so long to jump on a boat. I love Pitstop Hill and I'll definitely be heading back in the near future. I guess after looking at the variety of waves down south compared to what's on offer up north I was thinking the only way to tick those waves off like Macaronis and HT's would be to do it by boat! At the same time i'm still hesitant unless I hear from someone that has had a great experience on a charter

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Thursday, 6 Apr 2017 at 1:38pm

I went on a great boat trip in 2010 going as far south as Thunders and scoring great waves at Maccas, Telescopes etc. Have also stayed at Pitstop Hill twice and the set up those guys have is second to none.

If you opt for the boat I reckon you should have 2 main conditions:

Book the boat out with you and your mates so you know exactly what personalities are on board and the general expectations/level of surfing of your crew. Fuck taking a chance with a bunch of randoms you've never met. Could work out OK but if not...........it's too late once you're out there.

Do your research and only get on a boat that comes with great reviews and is guided by someone with intimate knowledge of the waves there and is also a frother keen to pick the eyes out of whatever conditions you get regardless of logistics etc.

Probably the only downside of Pitstops is that that area can sometimes get clogged with charter boats depending on conditions not to mention new land camps sprouting like mushrooms every year..

Choose wisely..........