France, Spain and Portugal in Dec, Jan.

mbl88's picture
mbl88 started the topic in Sunday, 25 Sep 2016 at 12:32am

Hey lads,

Travelling to euroland in dec and will be there for 6weeks. Will be heading to usual spots like hossegor etc etc. Was just wondering what you would recommend in wettie thickness and what type of quiver I should take over. I'm from the goldy so I generally rock a 2/2 ss all winter, was thinking maybe a good 4/3 with 3mm booties would do the trick or should I look at getting something thicker. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 25 Sep 2016 at 6:56pm

A taped 4x3 be o.k. Quiver wise depends what your chasing ...gets big and powerfull.

torquooly's picture
torquooly's picture
torquooly Saturday, 29 Oct 2016 at 5:40pm

Go to morocco, you will save money going there and the waves are the longest in the world. get out of taghazout, go to draculas, safi, slab. the moroccan people are the nicest in the world. france is this time of year you're too late, portugal south will be okay where it wraps into the points. you'll be in a 3/2mm in morocco, sunny and 20 deg all day and if you know who to talk to it's 50c a g of hash browns.

torquooly's picture
torquooly's picture
torquooly Saturday, 29 Oct 2016 at 5:40pm

Go to morocco, you will save money going there and the waves are the longest in the world. get out of taghazout, go to draculas, safi, slab. the moroccan people are the nicest in the world. france is this time of year you're too late, portugal south will be okay where it wraps into the points. you'll be in a 3/2mm in morocco, sunny and 20 deg all day and if you know who to talk to it's 50c a g of hash browns.

torquooly's picture
torquooly's picture
torquooly Saturday, 29 Oct 2016 at 5:42pm

draculas is 2-3km long and finishes in a wave like kirra with no current. check out the local slab hunter, the wave at the end is probably the best wave in the world (in my opinion)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 29 Oct 2016 at 5:48pm

I heard it's actually a relentless barrel 10 kilometres long and you step off onto a golden beach straight into a gobbie from a raven haired , slough eyed beauty.

Of course I also heard the Moroccans aren't thieves and the French weren't a pack of cunts to surf with ,so you'll have to make up your own mind as to how much truth there is to that story.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Saturday, 29 Oct 2016 at 7:50pm

You could try here

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 30 Oct 2016 at 11:21pm

Just did the very same adventure and it was brillant especially Portugal. My recommendation
because its going to be cold is 4/3 with booties and a hoody. For boards minimal 3. Short board
medium stepup and a large big wave board because it can and will get very big with plenty of
points and reefs that can handle large swells. Pretty much how big do you want to go.

mbl88's picture
mbl88's picture
mbl88 Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 5:37pm

Thanks heaps lads, just got to hossegor yesterday la nord is about a 2min walk from my place, was easily 8-10ft and just heaving no takers assume most guys are down in Portugal for the nazare comp. About to surf in an hr or so should be about 4-6ft bit better then the 2ft northerlies ive been surfing at home all spring.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Thursday, 22 Dec 2016 at 8:36am

Enjoy lucky bugger. Endless uncrowded beachies, reefs and points with quality.