Winki Boat Rescue

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 12:03pm

Craziest afternoon snorkel.

Planned a leisurely swim from the back of Deadmans into Shelly and half way along a boat that I noticed could of been drifting with no one on board was washed up on a big boulder inside Winki!

About 100m away a spear gun was on the ocean floor with his float above. I couldn't see the owner in the ocean or near the boat and started searching for him.

He yelled out and was next to the boat on the rocks trying to wash it free.

A girl friend and I swam in over the super shallow ledge and between boulders to beach ourselves on the rock with the boat.

Old mate wanted us to push it off when the waves came but it was so sketchy and dangerous.

After a few minutes trying to come up with a plan a big set came and washed it off the side of the rock where the owner was. I thought he was crushed but luckily he was sitting in the water at its front between the rocks trying to push it back out to sea.

We had to starfish paddle to get back in the ocean over sketchy reef and then made the swim back in. Old mate headed off to collect his gear with not much of a thank you.

Very lucky guy and boat! Crazy.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 12:04pm

Someone caught video of the whole thing as well..

Wow, Duncan Rayner got video of the boat rescue yesterday, insane!!

Posted by Craig Brokensha on Saturday, 12 December 2015

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 12:26pm

Mental!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 2:34pm

Wow Craig you and the girl are real people legends.
That looked pretty sketchy, good on you both helping, would've been nice to get giving a thanks or some kind of gesture as in a few cases of beer and some bottles wine for ya girl!
Good work.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 3:32pm

Good on you for lending a hand.

Great way to get a truly regrettable injury though.

PS Any fish around those parts these days ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 3:35pm

Holy shit! Sketchy as hell. Not sure I would have been getting anywhere near that thing but good on you both!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 3:40pm

Yeah in hindsight we should of just left it, but we only saw it once it was stuck clear on the rock.

The video makes it look real sketchy, which it was, but yeah from in the ocean and next to, it didn't seem as dangerous.

Comment from my insta: "I spoke to the owner yesterday arvo. No major damage really. Snapped skeg, transducer busted and gel coat scratched up"

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 3:44pm

Blowin, lots of schools around the Bower and in the reserve, less so out around the back.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 3:47pm

You know what type of fish Craig ?

So it's all looking pretty healthy ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 3:49pm

Nah, I'm not really a fish man sorry..

Saw lots of Gropers, couple of Port Jacksons and big school of black fish abour 20-30cm long.

Yeah looks really healthy.

The scary part is how big some of the drop offs behind the reefs at Deadies and Winki are, swell comes in straight from the deep and boom onto the ledge!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 4:07pm

Always good to hear, thanks .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 6:52pm

Isn't the whole area a marine reserve? That would explain the quick exit!

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Friday, 18 Dec 2015 at 10:46am

Some cunts have no idea when it comes to boats.....fucking iddjits put you, your missus and himself in shit house spot cause he didn't pay attention