Shark cage diving. Total Madness.

Hucky's picture
Hucky started the topic in Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 3:06pm

Shark cage diving.
Talk around the town was that after the Killer Whales scared off the White Pointer sharks some time ago over on the West Coast of South Australia the operators were looking for fresh waters to chum and feed the big wild White Pointers to keep there $$$ flowing in the pockets with out any care for the safety of the general public in my view.

Madness to operate this type of business in a popular surfing area. The Fleurieu coast region.
Too many shark attacks lately and this type of "show" will bring on saftey issues with the local surf industry and will keep more tourists away that it will bring into the area.

Danger. Big sharks will KILL off a lot of interest in the fleurieu for us all .
Only a very small group of people will gain and most of us will lose out .
Safety for us all should come first.

A total ban of this MADNESS is needed world wide.
Only research by scientists should be done in the cages and some filming for the general public to view.

Hucky.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 4:03pm

Hi Hucky, we posted an article about this issue here. I think they've since backed away from this.

https://www.swellnet.com/news/surfpolitik/2015/04/10/proposal-move-shark-cage-diving-closer-south-oz-surf-spots

Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 4:06pm

South Australia.
The people living next door at my Mum and Dads home knew of the boy that got bit and taken away off West Beach. Two White Pionters.

I got a job at Mitsubishi many moons ago , too replace a lad who got bit on the leg and died on the beach with blood loss. A Bronze.

Another family close friend was in that swimming class at Brighton jetty when her swimming instructor , showing the kids how to do a pin drop , dropped onto the tail of a White Pointer and then chomped up. My old friend is about 92 years old.She was only a little girl when this happened.

Just got back into surfing after 27years away from the sport and in that 27 years i did a bit of boat fishing and the numbers of white sharks sighting have been increasing year by year. They attack boats and ropes and anything else in the water now. Its like they are agro more than ever. Don't think its me and my fishing skills because i was never very good at pulling the fishes in . haha.

I think with the White Pointers , that this hand cage feeding circus is teaching the sharks bad habits , not normal for them. World Wide Ban on cage feeding large sharks is needed now! The big sharks can and have been tracked swimming from S.A to S A. South Australia to South Africa. Yes , they do get around . World Wide Ban on people visiting the Whites for a buzz in there turf is needed.Only research by scientists is required for using the safety of a steel cage. Not a thrill seeker with not a care in the world about anyone bar themselves.

I have meet three other people in South Australia who have been attack by sharks in our waters.

Lots of poor people getting bit by the F-cken Whites but in our good hearted way , we now just let them swim off with a leg , arm or body. Bring back the .303 and shoot the 1000 odd big sharks , world wide that attack and trouble us in the water and stop killing the 100 million little sharks for fin soup. A little bit of common sense would be good for the Greenies and for the every day person using the waters around this island of ours.

Hucky.

Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 6:44pm

You raise some good points, Huckleberry Shark Finn. Although I'm not sure shooting the 1000 odd big sharks is the answer. Keeping aside the potential impact to a species and ecosystem that we don't fully understand, it seems prejudicial against big sharks that aren't considered a little unusual or eccentric.

Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 8:41pm

Clivus , 1000 nasties v 100,000,000 plus cruisers. Come on . Good odds for the sharks and this "Huckleberry Finn" would never eat shark fin soup. Not enough sharks up stream in the Mississippi River U.S.A hahaha.

I was just trying to say that the 100,000,000 plus sharks killed for our own food every year is wrong. Talk about ecosystems being smashed.

I was just trying to say that the 1000 odd sharks that chomp on your body bits need to be taken out just like we do to dogs that bite.

I was just trying to say that feeding big White Pointers by hand using "chums and fish bait" is wrong.

But in keeping with the good vibe i agree with Clivus that we don't fully understand big sharks and the ecosystem around them. True words.

"Please don't feed the wild animals".

P.S Sadly given first aid for i guy who had his arm ripped off . "non shark attack" but still a f-cKen horror scene. He got through the accident.
I never ever wish for anyone to have to do first aid for someone with this type off injury from a shark attack.
"I am a first aider , what is your name?"
Every one that "surfs and skis" should get some basic first aid training. Could just save a someones life.

Hucky.

Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 8:40pm

Craig.
Thanks for the reply about this topic.
I have looked at the story "proposal move shark cage diving closer the south oz surf spots" excellent story.

I was informed off this issue , cage feeding of sharks by the local paper at Victor, "The Times" only one week after a lad got bit and lost his leg over Port Lincon way.
Hoping the young man is getting the best care our medical professionals can give him . "Keep Strong"
Instersting timing off the "story" in the local paper.

Another thing in the Fleurieu Peninsula getting the local surf crew talking about is at Victor over on Granite Island , the idea of having a offshore aquarium which could be an O.K idea to help the island out with extra tourism but one would be concern if they add the 80 odd tuna in the pen with the other marine life .

Could this bring big White Sharks into this area and maybe keep them hanging around with all that nice fat oily dinner time tuna just in front of there nose???

Love to know how other surfers along the south central coast feel about this issue.
Love to know how the good people of Swellnet think about "tuna pens" only Kilometres away from swimming and surfing beaches.

Hucky.

Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 1:07am

Well, am not the only person concern about "tuna" in holding pens at the proposed , Victor Harbor underwater aquarium project located off Granite Island.

Sue and Pip from Victor wrote a letter in the local "TIMES" paper on the 9/7/15 edition .
A day after my last spill in the forum.

Heading was. "SHARK CONCERNS " and the photo in the story has the heading "SHARK WORRY".
They are deeply concerned for local yacht users who sail in the bay.

####Alarm bells####. ####Alarm bells####.

If the yachtie crew is getting worried about the Tuna pens just think how some so the the surf crew is feeling at this time in the Fleurieu Peninsula area.
Popular surf beaches are only around the corner from the bay at Victor Harbor in South Australia.

Even that FOX was claiming that in his experience, " White Sharks frequented tuna farms on a regular basis."

Are we crazy messing with tuna pens in swimming and surfing locations and the show and game of hand feeding sharks in steel cages? "YES WE ARE".

"DONT FEED THE WILD MARINE ANIMALS PLEASE"

How does Swellnet.com think about the cool issue of this proposed underwater aquarium with the "smelly tuna shark dinner" swimming around in it? Could be a great story if it has not been chatted about already in the past but it's an issue NOW on the South Central Coast in South Australia.

Complete Madness.
I'm concerned .
ARE YOU GUYS and GIRLS CONCERNED?

Hucky.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 1:38am

Yep but its inevitable that sharks are going to be big in our era . Fuckwits hucky absolute fuckwits . Nothings gunna change but

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 10:29am
Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 3:43pm

Yep, they are always going to be out there .The big ones .I know they have a job to do keeping the ecosystem in place.

That's natural. Tuna pens and cage feeding is not natural at all. Agreed, absolute fuckwits..

The only way for change is political.People power and the pol lie will do backflips to save its own ass and maybe a beach user as well in time to come ! Caml , Thank for the reply forum chat about this issue.
The more we can talk about this issue , the better for all. The surfer , the boatie, the swimming beach user and the Sharks and its Eco system.

Nice to have the link to avoid dangerous shark encounters information. From Blindboy. Thanks mate.

.303 the nasties after the bite? . Hahaha.
Off now for a quick wave at Middleton point before the big swell comes to town.

Hucky.

lenny67's picture
lenny67's picture
lenny67 Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:14pm

drn

Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 10:05am

Lenny67 - I like the link. Will have a better read of it after my morning paddle at Chilton rocks in S.A.
I'm not into killing but the nasties that go for the bite of ya need to be taken out , a bit like the dog on the street that bites. Look for it ,then and now , target it and remove it. Yes , we are talking about 1000 world wide in total and stop the killing of the 100,000,000 for "Finn soup".
Stop this interacting with the big shark. Cage feeding and tuna pens in the waters of South Australia. Over fishing can't help aswell.

Got to put a spill in the local paper over hear in Victor thanking for the story last week of fish viewing platforms at the island and the risk to boaties , not to forget the swimmer and surfers who enter the waters around this part of the world.

Keep up the good work and words about this problems of too many greenies not taking a swim with me.
Stuck in there bath tubs , never entering the waters of the oceans and then from the safety of land or a big fucken big ship , tell us of the plight of the big poor sharkie poo.

"Don't feed the animals" with fish bait of people bait!

Like to see what "our" local politicians think about the issue of tuna pens and cage feeding sharks on the South Central Coast of S.A. A letter to them and one into our paper this week is in order.

Hucky.

Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Tuesday, 14 Jul 2015 at 1:24pm

P.s. Lenny67. Your avatar is off the thigh opened up. Is that you bleeding on the medico table. Shark or boating shit? Gorgeous photo anyhow , not!

My avatar for me is holding a SNAPPER up off of CapeJervois in a boat at S.A. between the mainland and K.I. Need to work out how to add it to Swellnet info. Not shown yet.
Favourite food for the sharks. Only take what you need. A couple is enought of that size.
They are big in S.A. waters as the whiteys are too.

Anyhow , the picture is interesting.

Hucky.

Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Monday, 20 Jul 2015 at 10:07pm

Mick Fanning and Julian Wilson will get the tongs moving about sharks. Superstars!
Could be you and me next. Not so super then!!
Prey not!!!
We are all in the hands of God!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Monday, 20 Jul 2015 at 10:35pm

i agree! shark cage diving is long time overdue to be abolished. these are animals that must be feared and respected and left alone not enticed with chum and burley to get close to humans submerged in cages! flipping mad. boycott them all. tuna farms aren't helping matters either.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 6:14pm

however i do not agree with putting a bullet to a wild animals head for simply living in its own habitat. thats just disgusting. They have been around a lot longer than us silly humans that have caused carnage all over this fragile planet, so it is natural and lawful that we show them utmost respect.

Hucky's picture
Hucky's picture
Hucky Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 8:03pm

Sorry mate. Try a hook and not a bullet. Less disgusting? Just joking fella.

Was only saying about the ones that chomp on us silly humans"then and there" is possible to do so, take it out.

And yes , I do respect the sharks in this little world of ours.
I'm not into "flake and fin soup" nor the killing of the 100,000,000 every year. That fucks up the Eco systems and not the knocking on the head of the nastie one hanging off your torso which the authorities could track down.
####### Any how . Back to shark cage diving ######
Not a good thing.......
Hucky.

CutbackBretto's picture
CutbackBretto's picture
CutbackBretto Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 2:16pm

Training these predators to associate blood & chum in the water with a human in a wetsuit is the last thing we need. Just crazy.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 9 Nov 2015 at 5:47pm

ABC online : Shark slams into shark dive cage.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 9 Nov 2015 at 5:52pm

If they want to get you, you won't see it coming, or even have a chance.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERThe heart stopping moment a great white shark torpedoed into a group of divers in South Africa has been caught on camera. Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/11/09/10/13/divers-film-moment-great-white-shark-torpedoes-into-cage#JTI1ToqHhxA4aD2i.99

Posted by 9 News Perth on Sunday, 8 November 2015

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 9 Nov 2015 at 7:10pm

Holy fuck. It was chasing something in front of it that you can just see. A lure?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 9 Nov 2015 at 7:25pm

Shit well spotted

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 9 Nov 2015 at 7:27pm

Yeah the speed is sobering, but as Goofy pointed out, so long as no-ones teasing a shark thru the line up it may be a different reaction.......

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 9 Nov 2015 at 7:37pm

I imagine it was a hunk of tuna pulled on a rope

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 10 Nov 2015 at 7:46am

The video illustrates very well how to train Great Whites to associate humans with food and attack them...

Step 1 Expose GW to humans on a regular basis to remove the fear of the unknown
Step 2. Put tasty smells in the water at the same time as the humans enter it and lure in GW for a good close look at us with taste buds alive and firing
Step 3. Pull big hunks of yummy tuna towards the humans raising their food arousal levels and ending up with the shark face to face with the human with a hungry belly and a mind full of the most basic of instincts saying "time to eat"
Step 4. Repeat over and over as many times as you can over a long period
Problem solved - GW now sees humans as food and has no fear to approach them

Aren't we clever little animal trainers, oops ... tourism entrepreneurs

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 10 Nov 2015 at 2:09pm

Too true frog.

Imagine if that shark didn't get its bottom jaw caught on the cage. Now that would of made for some impressive video........

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Wednesday, 11 Nov 2015 at 5:50am

i watched a video of it somewhere else and they were pissing themselves laughing immediately after it happened, which leads me to believe that they had done the same thing before and knew pretty much what was about to happen. It's obviously part of the show, getting the shark to charge the cage. I reckon that would have hurt the shark big time.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 11 Nov 2015 at 6:07am

Crustt I agree, that would have to of hurt the Sharks jaw.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 11 Nov 2015 at 9:24am

Now here is a cool tourism venture for you budding entrepreneurs out there keen to expand beyond cage diving tourism.

Go to Yosemite or Yellow Stone national park in the USA. Set up a cage for tourist to sit in and lure in black bears and panthers with dead goat meat right up to the cage so the tourist can get a good look at angry, hungry wild animals.

No one will mind or see any reason this could create some bad behaviour modifications in the wild animals endangering walkers, campers or kiddies in the park lands.

Its okay and no cause for concern in the water off SA so why not on land?

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Wednesday, 11 Nov 2015 at 10:24am

I would have thought that experience would make the shark associate humans with a toothache.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 11 Nov 2015 at 11:03am

Better that Benski.

Imagine if sharks associated humans with Nanas golden syrup dumplings. You couldn't dip a toe in the water.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Wednesday, 11 Nov 2015 at 11:10am

I know I'd rather some of those than a tuna head!

It must alter their behaviour though, this cage diving business.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Wednesday, 11 Nov 2015 at 11:18am

Frog, no need to go that far abroad...we've got Fraser Island and it's population of Dingoes...oh wait, what do we know of feeding Dingoes on the island? If they don't get it given to them, they come and take at their will.

One of the mine sites I worked at it was made very clear during the very 1st induction straight off the plane that feeding the resident Dingoes was their death sentence, and a window seat for anyone one found feeding them.