I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 1:27pm
juegasiempre wrote:
udo wrote:

Juega..waste of money paying for a week up there this time of year
Hire a car...self drive ..cheap as ..go cruising around..Keramas is an easy commute from West coast for the Dawny .

I would but I can't surf pig it. Gotta a missus and toddler so I only get a couple of hours a day to surf. Commuting would eat up too much time. The winds look bad on the forecast but on the ground I'd say some mornings really early, maybe 50% of the time there's no wind or slight northerlies. Definately a gamble, you're
probably right that the surf will suck but it will be good to recon the area. With the AUD in the toilet I might be returning for 6 months and if the boss approves, maybe we stay up that way instead of Sanur.

I'm lucky to have time on my side so even if it's shit all week, it's not the end of the world.

I lived in sanur for a few years and as long as you’re up for the early then you should be right and shouldn’t be to many on it so you may luck in , if not there’s plenty of family oriented things to do up that way . The bird park is worth a visit , really good raptor show and amazing variety of birds that happily sit on ya shoulder or hand . Also the taro elephant resort is good , an Australian and his balinese wife rescued elephants from sumartra and relocated them to this park, the museum is quite good. I’m just not 100% sure if these resorts and parks have reopened yet . It’s a beautiful coastline heading up to and past candi dasa , wet season offers some river mouth waves but the pollution is off the richter. Ear infections are common and a mate got a lung infection after swallowing a bit of foam . 6 weeks in hospital, collapsed lung and couldn’t fly until recovered . Again there’s plenty to see up that coastline besides waves .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 1:35pm
DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:

Why don’t you just shut the fck up? You do it all the time. You’ve got schizophrenia, this doesn’t mean you’re a Simple Jack dmb cnt who forgets that they’re being a flog by blabbing every quiet wave you’ve ever half heard rumours about. Just stop it.

OK agreed. ill shut the fuck up about spots...But not many other people who blab about spots like illawarra semi secret spots get rocked...they do it just as often as me..However i realise i fucked up but pretty sure that muddy road will never get tarred or fixed as there's no villages or people for it except fisherman who travel a long way when theres just as many fish close to yoyos. Also the spot isnt offshore in monsoons or trades so i doubt anyone will start a camp there.

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 1:49pm
udo wrote:

Groundy he is talking about Dry season...
Juega- work on 80% of the time is onshore and ugly at first light..if it is calm very likely to have bad left over wobble on it from previous days wind.

Ok. I think you've convinced me. Gonna stick to the west facing surf and revisit the east coast if I come back.

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 1:53pm
Supafreak wrote:
juegasiempre wrote:
udo wrote:

Juega..waste of money paying for a week up there this time of year
Hire a car...self drive ..cheap as ..go cruising around..Keramas is an easy commute from West coast for the Dawny .

I would but I can't surf pig it. Gotta a missus and toddler so I only get a couple of hours a day to surf. Commuting would eat up too much time. The winds look bad on the forecast but on the ground I'd say some mornings really early, maybe 50% of the time there's no wind or slight northerlies. Definately a gamble, you're
probably right that the surf will suck but it will be good to recon the area. With the AUD in the toilet I might be returning for 6 months and if the boss approves, maybe we stay up that way instead of Sanur.

I'm lucky to have time on my side so even if it's shit all week, it's not the end of the world.

I lived in sanur for a few years and as long as you’re up for the early then you should be right and shouldn’t be to many on it so you may luck in , if not there’s plenty of family oriented things to do up that way . The bird park is worth a visit , really good raptor show and amazing variety of birds that happily sit on ya shoulder or hand . Also the taro elephant resort is good , an Australian and his balinese wife rescued elephants from sumartra and relocated them to this park, the museum is quite good. I’m just not 100% sure if these resorts and parks have reopened yet . It’s a beautiful coastline heading up to and past candi dasa , wet season offers some river mouth waves but the pollution is off the richter. Ear infections are common and a mate got a lung infection after swallowing a bit of foam . 6 weeks in hospital, collapsed lung and couldn’t fly until recovered . Again there’s plenty to see up that coastline besides waves .

Fuck me, that sounds intense. Maybe I might have to look further afield for wet season. How Sanur with the pollution? I imagine it wouldn't be as bad.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 2:04pm

The locals these days at Sanur are pretty heavy tatted out roided out heroes who dont let any un-tough Bule get any waves and often threaten tourists. I wouldnt bother with it.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 2:23pm
groundswell wrote:

The locals these days at Sanur are pretty heavy tatted out roided out heroes who dont let any un-tough Bule get any waves and often threaten tourists. I wouldnt bother with it.

The locals usually paddle out during the best time of day and bule’s are told to go in , Ive known some of these guys since they were kids . Doesn’t matter that I’m married to a local and have a daughter born there . It’s usually for a couple of hours at most, sucks but that’s how it is . There’s plenty of other waves to surf just go looking.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 2:36pm
Supafreak wrote:
groundswell wrote:

The locals usually paddle out during the best time of day and bule’s are told to go in , Ive known some of these guys since they were kids . Doesn’t matter that I’m married to a local and have a daughter born there . It’s usually for a couple of hours at most, sucks but that’s how it is . There’s plenty of other waves to surf just go looking.

Good on em. Plenty of other waves for us to surf on there island.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 2:36pm
Supafreak wrote:
groundswell wrote:

That’s pretty full on supa, imagine they did that at ulus too

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 3:08pm

without going into names... there's a few east coast spots where 'the locals' like to tell bule to leave...

definitely can be a different vibe over there, I've often wondered why... the sanur crew often look more bikie gang than surf crew, with an attitude to go with it...

I suspect they're protecting their japanese surfer 'surf guide' model, as much as anything else... which is rather lucrative to say the least...

a model that has unfortunately infested the rest of the island now, a model that was more annoying than anything before... but is just flat out dangerous now, as 'coaches' call and push their kooks into just about anything ...jockeying for position to catch that special instagrammable fleeting second where poo man / poo woman skates across a beautiful patch of blue...

the rest of the time, it's boards and bodies everywhere ...over the falls, bailed out, or just straight man kook style, going more right than left in front of you, at a lefthander...

to duck is often par of the course whilst taking off at some spots... as one almost gets barrelled by a surfboard, of yet another aborted take off that was never ever gonna go well...

I feel for te locals... the money is too good to refuse...

but the shame! ...oh the shame!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 2:57pm

and, if you're one of the 'coached'

the shame! ...oh the shame!

get some form!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 3:07pm

Not sure how True the Bules Achilles Tendon getting cut with a Machete story is....?
Mouthy Bule told to go in ...played the Tough guy got some Biff and a Machete strike on the beach..

Mask up again
https://thebalisun.com/mask-mandate-returns-to-crowded-outdoor-settings-...
Burleigh how's the 7 Day Forecast looking ??

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 3:28pm
udo wrote:

Not sure how True the Bules Achilles Tendon getting cut with a Machete story is....?
Mouthy Bule told to go in ...played the Tough guy got some Biff and a Machete strike on the beach..

Mask up again
https://thebalisun.com/mask-mandate-returns-to-crowded-outdoor-settings-...
Burleigh how's the 7 Day Forecast looking ??

Great forecast for Indo. Shame they are bringing in 3rd jab to travel there, it will rule people out.

makes me laugh about needing a mask again too.

How backwards can you get.

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 4:03pm

God damn! There's a tourism campaign if ever I heard one!

Have you ever wanted to experience surfing in an aquatic landfill? Wonder no longer, get to Bali! If floating rubbish isn't your thing get amongst our world class rivermouths where the pollution is so bad, it can hospitalize you! But that's only after rain and honestly, how often does it rain in the 'wet season'. If you're too tough for our pollution, you'll love testing your toughness against our locals! Where if you're lucky you can get a good view of the pumping Sanur reefs from the channel! No issue if you're willing to pay though. They might even let you catch one for the right price.

Lol, I thought this thread was I love Bali! But in seriousness this is all good info. Thanks for sharing.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 4:22pm

every man has his price...

and, you can learn to love it... just keep your head and expectations low...

or book a trip to sumatra

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 4:57pm

Bali is cooked juegasiempre. There are still waves around with 5's an easy going crowd in indo you just have to meet a lot of indonesian surfers, fisherman, and ex pats or discover them yourself.
show fisherman or indonesian surfers photos of good barrels or lineups and say "apakah Anda tahu jika ada ombak yang bisa Anda tunjukkan seperti ini?" do you know if you can show me any waves like this near here? Many discoveries were made this way.i suggest you buy "indo surf lingo" lingo section on how to get the pronunciation correct.
Many waves ive found are still going unridden every day as other better or more popular and easier access waves are working on the same conditions.
Im planning on building a small shack in front of my favorite reef but it doesnt handle trades or monsoons but other waves work on the same conditions and its a long way from the nearest town and atm and surf camps so nobody surfs it. Lots of turtles too so it helps with my solo surfing shark paranoia, if turtles are swimming around you know that there are no tiger sharks lurking.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 5:07pm

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 5:14pm

Udo, i got that theory from a Hawaiian guy on a doco who usually surfed with lots of turtles in Hawaii.One day he noticed for some reason no turtles were in the lineup and he lost his arm to a tiger shark. I guess its not completely accurate.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 6:25pm

One of my friends secrets was yesterday surfed by Dane Reynolds, but he didnt bring an entourage or camera crew luckily. My mate had only ever surfed it alone until yesterday.Its not desert point so true veterans are often not interested in average by indo standards waves, might look at it and go fuck this im in indo, i want to surf nokanduis etc.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 9:29pm

I reckon if a shark had a choice between a turtle and a surfer they'd take the surfer. I've got a soft shell and I'm nowhere near as nimble as these fellas:

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 1:07pm

Big tide, big waves today. Lots of water moving around. Saw people going nuts over a pod of dolphins. Safe to say they're not from the east coast of Australia.

Hope you all got some good ones. If not looks like another big day on Saturday.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 1:26pm
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 1:28pm

Can’t find anything about the $25k covid cover insurance I read was required a while ago. Is it still needed?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 1:30pm
udo wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf744gClH_N/?hl=en

What the fuck did I just watch udo?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 1:36pm

An Ulu influencer Man...! he he
------------------------------------

Any way here's James Banks and the new bottom contours

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 1:41pm

A modest man...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 1:42pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Can’t find anything about the $25k covid cover insurance I read was required a while ago. Is it still needed?

Nope..got scrapped
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/asia/indonesia

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 1:47pm
udo wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Nope..got scrapped
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/asia/indonesia

Cheers, I just wasn’t looking in the right places

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 8:11am
seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 1:29pm

Foot and mouth disease: Every passenger entering Australia from Indonesia subject to strict screening process

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 1:43pm
seaslug wrote:

Foot and mouth disease: Every passenger entering Australia from Indonesia subject to strict screening process

I came in yesterday and aside from being bombarded by pre-recorded announcements it was the same as ever.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 1:56pm

Supposedly from today Stu

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 1:56pm

Well I hope so

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 2:12pm

We declared that we had been on wife’s family farm with cows and pigs. Customs asked to look at our shoes and I told we left the thongs we had been wearing in Bali. He was happy with that and no further inspection was done and thanked us for not bringing them into oz . I was surprised that our clothing wasn’t inspected.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 2:55pm

Several years ago I declared I had been in a farming area. Even had my thongs ready to hand over to customs. The bloke just glanced at them from across the counter and said "nah ,you're good" and off I went.
I was spewing because it was the only thing I declared and the detour through the declaration clearance point took ages.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 4:43pm

I had my dirty hiking boots steamed cleaned into oblivion by NZ customs several years back, lifted the soles off them they did all with a friendly smile on their dials.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 8:04pm

I really don't want to see foot and mouth disease hit Australia. We don't need it, do the right thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-and-mouth_disease

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Saturday, 16 Jul 2022 at 1:57pm

Bigger today than the other day. Big waves, beatdowns and hold downs. Lots of water pouring through the beachfront accommodation today with the swell and massive tide.

I wouldn't be looking at beachfront real estate with what I've observed this year in Australia and here.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 16 Jul 2022 at 2:22pm
seaslug wrote:

Came in this morning. Listened to pre recorded warning. Signed a declaration. Came straight through. Not so strict.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 16 Jul 2022 at 3:42pm
seaslug wrote:

Does this mean that @info will be barred from reentering the country? If ever there was someone who constantly has his foot in his mouth it’s our lil buddy…. he he

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 8:44am

Solid this morning on the Bukit
https://balibelly.com/pages/uluwatu

happyppl's picture
happyppl's picture
happyppl Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 10:05am

looks like our ruleing "elite" and their sycophant beauracrats are gunna do another "ruby princess" on us all again re foot and mouth disease.
Govt aware of danger for several weeks and no compulsory disinfecting of shoes or luggage and clothing at entry points, air and seaports.
Wow wow wow truly unfrknblvble, only in oz "the clever country" (remember that 80's jingle?) can this happen, what an embarrasment.
If it takes off here were f#**d and yet it's the same as it ever was in canberra!

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 10:48am

Being an ex cocky boy, if F&M gets into Australia, it will be absolutely devastating. Mass culling of livestock at least 5km radius from infection site, some are even saying 100km. Export sales gone, live sheep trade gone, mass layoffs in agriculture industry along with all industries associated with it, soaring soaring meat prices, AUD pummelled, could tip us into recession, just a start, the list goes on

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 10:49am

Along with the Varroa destructor

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 11:02am

Don’t worry, Pfizer will save the day. I’m sure live stock vaccination is worth much more than human.
Roughly 80% of the world’s antibiotics gets pumped into cattle.

That’s why I don’t eat it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 12:44pm

Do you eat Seafood Burleigh ?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 12:49pm
udo wrote:

Do you eat Seafood Burleigh ?

Nope or dairy.

seeds's picture