Shark repellant

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby started the topic in Sunday, 2 Nov 2014 at 3:53pm

Hey crew,

Around the 39 minute mark of this doco (

they started talking about great whites fleeing en masse from an area where killer whales had killed a great white. They narrowed down the reason as being due to a chemical given off by the rotting corpse of the dead great white, after which they created an odeur of great white and tested it as a repellant, which seemed to work.

Interested to hear thoughts, opinions, experiences.

ps - if whoever moderates wants to turn that above url into a hyperlink, that'd just be aces.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 25 Jun 2018 at 4:10pm

or check out chillax wax.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 25 Jun 2018 at 4:24pm

Then why is Dreamtime Shark drooling at me velocityjohnno ...cheers again!

Australian Aborigines made gum & carrried it around for repairs & used resin for surfcraft.

I do apologize for my crass representation of Saltwater Shark Deterrents.
Shark Deterrent is whole as in Dreamtime/Stars/Songline/Dance/Totem/Season/Plant.
Most certainly it's with respect to Saltwater People & Place that I continue.

Another example of Plant deterrent use- being native Dogwood to signify coming of Shark.
Usually at height of "our" Winter into Spring.
Consider also that Saltwater people naturally share fishing season in and around Sharks.

Port Jackson settlement recalled common sightings of Aboriginals with missing limbs.
The reference being Shark Attacks were common place for any resourcing the sea.

I couldn't say if shared Swellnet list represents a small sample of eco Shark deterrents .
As a freelance researcher I'd say we're approaching half way there.
Now I say that without credible Botanical Knowledge ! That's the missing ingredient here.
I admit I stepped outside of my field filling in the blanks..It seems feasible though?

Mostly me 'n' all would love to hear a half decent version on how these plants scare sharks.
If you can't track one or the other just ask..really not much more than what's shown here!